This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-19-2010 11:04:22 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Say WHUT? Share your speech habits!

I haven't posted a new topic in all of five minutes, so I was wondering if anyone here has any real life speechisms or phrases they commonly use.  Bonus points for accents. etc-love

Me, because I have spent the last year living with galpals in a dorm, in which we would collectively complain to each other in a sad attempt to fill the voids left in us when we have no cock or fancy shoes in our lives, have developed an annoying habit of answering most everything said to me in RL with an intelligent, thought-provoking, "RIGHT?"

I also make squeaky noises when bored or in thought, an Ozarkian accent that mall make-up artists in Arizona can recognize, a stupid guffaw as opposed to a laugh, and frequently make use of the word 'fuck' when forced to interact with my recently converted Jehova's Witness family members.

I also go 'wat' a lot.  A lot a lot.

#2 | Back to Top05-19-2010 11:29:13 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

Re: Say WHUT? Share your speech habits!

i make wierd cute noises when im bored. if im really hyper i make a really cute weee noise. emot-keke ( thats sorta what my face looks like when i make the noise) my hubby seems to enjoy my noises they make him laugh and feel better when he sick. i say okyday alot.

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#3 | Back to Top05-20-2010 12:29:32 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I love how many ways the body can communicate without words. I think charades should be an official dialect of sorts.

I generally tend to respond to yes-no questions with mhm's and mmm's, people have learned to differentiate between the two because of my pure laziness. I have tons of other non-committal noises at one point people told me sounded like sex sounds but I think they've grown to familiarize it with normal speech now. I have some face tics, like I'll scrunch my nose when I mean to say no but I don't feel like making any sound. [My laziness knows no bounds]

I also picked up sign language one summer when I volunteered at a camp for deaf kids, so now when I speak I often simultaneously tend to use my hands to signal common words or phrases (Look, ma, meaningful hand gestures.

Last edited by haelsyx (05-20-2010 12:31:05 AM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#4 | Back to Top05-20-2010 01:02:22 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I roll my rs. Although when I am speaking to be heard, as in speeches or important situations, my pitch drops and I stop rolling the r, enunciate my vowels properly and end up sounding distinctly British. school-devil Speaking of Britain, myself a a fellow Kiwi used to piss off everyone else in the pharmacy where we worked by referring to everything as "sweet" or "sweet as." It basically means "cool" or "that's fine." But basically we'd just get bewildered looks followed by "...what the HELL is so bloody sweet?!" emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top05-20-2010 01:22:21 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

When something mildly surprises me I'll go GAH!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#6 | Back to Top05-20-2010 02:06:59 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My only speech habit is my copious and profound use of profanity.

Thank you, thank you. I know you all envy me now. emot-wink

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top05-20-2010 02:11:33 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Yasha, I'm working on trying to incorporate more profanity into my everday vernacular. Not really working but I'll keep trying. emot-dance

I speak the cursed language that is the valley, which is funny because I'm not from San Fernando Valley or any valleys.  It even comes out in the way that I type. Whenever I try to email professionals or professors, I go into "work" mode and have someone look over the email. I ask them to check for "like." Not because I would be foolish enough to actually TYPE it in there, but hey, slip ups happen.

I say like, as if, rad, totally, like for seriously, whatev, whatever, for sure, "I know right???", "I die,"  "she/he was like" and "they were like." *facepalm

I've been working on trying to not sound like such a weirdo when talking but it doesn't help if all your friends do it too XD. However sometimes, on certain days I'm totally articulate.

I don't make a lot of sounds, but there is always the occasional "eep!"

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#8 | Back to Top05-20-2010 02:20:35 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Where to begin?

I have a tendancy to stammer AND mumble. As per the Philadelphia accent I pronounce water as "wooder". Im profane as fuck. I could probably say the words "sweet" and "like" 30 times in one sentence. And a ton of things im probably not even aware of.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#9 | Back to Top05-20-2010 02:26:11 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The secret to good profanity is just wherever you would normally put a comma, say 'fucking' instead.

Or in your case, lex, wherever you would say 'like', say 'fuck' or 'fucking'.

'And he was all fucking 'omg you fuckin didn't' and I said, fucking laughing and fucking I dunno, just 'if I don't get a fucking blowjob I'm gonna fucking puke on your head'*

*Not a real conversation, so far as I know.

Actually, I should give a serious answer. My most noticeable verbal tic is (I think) that my first reaction to something that pisses me off is to say 'Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me?'

Wait. Actually, that's what my mom says, and what I used to say circa 1990. I've evolved it into 'Well excuse the fuck outta me!'

Also, I say 'basically' a lot when I'm explaining. It sucks, I need to find more synonyms, because I always say it and then notice a split-second afterward that I said it again. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10 | Back to Top05-20-2010 07:40:23 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Yasha wrote:

My only speech habit is my copious and profound use of profanity.

Thank you, thank you. I know you all envy me now. emot-wink

Profanity makes talking fun, you know. school-devil

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#11 | Back to Top05-20-2010 07:46:48 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I use all sorts of archaic terms from 'Cricky Moses' to 'Bloody Hell', from 'You Big Nancy' to 'You Old Slapper', from 'Sod Off' to 'Smegma'.

When I'm tired and I need to keep speaking, I kinda start talking in some kind of Scottish accent, I'm bot sure why beyond that it's less tiring for some reason.

#12 | Back to Top05-20-2010 10:17:16 AM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

I say "poop. " emot-redface I'll gladly say profane things in everyday conversation like a casual thing, but my exclamations of frustration do not tend to go above a PG rating.

I sing before, after and during conversations, be it a message I'm trying to convey or the lyrics to some song that are slightly similar to something that was just said.

I also pretty casually use different "voices" and accents as forms of expression, kinda, though they all lead into a really terrible pseudo-Pakistani accent eventually.

I refer to EVERYONE as "dear," "son," "sir," "mister," "love," "sweetie," "senor," "m'lady," "ma'am..." Regardless of beauty, age, goodness or size. Or gender. It's gotten me into trouble.

And I steal people's speech habits. Their physical ticks, their phrases, their inflections... There was this one girl I absolutely HATED who would scrunch up her nose when she was saying something sarcastic. Augh. It bothered me so much and I was so focused on it that I soon realized I was doing it too. Jah, jah. I unintentionally incorporate any notable forms of expressions into mine own.

Oh, and I say "yessuh" and "bub" and "wicked," like any good Mainer should. emot-smile

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#13 | Back to Top05-20-2010 07:38:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Like all New Englanders, I also say "wicked." My other speech oddities include:

- "Woter" instead of "water."
- "T' eat" instead of "to eat."
- "How 'bout" instead of "how about."
- "I'd" instead of "it would." (Different the from "I'd" used for "I would." The "I'" is pronounced as like the "I" in "it.")
- "Whad" instead of "what did."

It took me a while to notice that I said these things. The more noticeable ones are when I accidentally say "Gao" as Misuzu from Air does or "Ahaha" cutely like Sayuri from Kanon... Plus, I swear all the time, which is strange from someone who is quite and tends to stutter a lot.

This is a perfect thread for Eliza Doolittle day! emot-biggrin

Edit: Ah, yes. And I also tend to speak formally on and off. That makes my swearing stand out even more.

Last edited by Razara (05-20-2010 07:44:00 PM)

#14 | Back to Top05-20-2010 07:52:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

My accent is fairly predictable, I use a lot of contractions and say 'tard' instead of 'tired' and "Whoo-wee!" and use colorful phrases such as:

Like a cow pissin' ona flat rock = heavy, straight downpour.
I'll be a sunuvabitch! = I have been proven wrong.
You don't ride color = Specifically, an ugly, well broken, trustworthy horse is better than a pretty but disobedient one.  I use it in a general sense as well, that quality > appearance.
Last time I checked that fetus was in your uterus, not shoved up your ass =  I love you sis!

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (05-20-2010 07:53:18 PM)

#15 | Back to Top05-20-2010 08:32:57 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I talk like I type, only with more profanity, with particularly heavy-handed uses of the word "fuck" in all its forms. No, seriously, I say "fuck" a lot.

I also tend to acquire other people's speech patterns and vocabulary. At one point, I'd been around one of my friends for so long that I pretty much talked just. like. her. This mostly consisted of nonsense such as substituting words for similar words on purpose. For example, "I love you" becomes "I glove shoes."  We also liked to say "porpoise" instead of "purpose", followed by dolphin noises.  Also, we refer to Martha Stewart as Satan, and we actually like her.

Then there's my incredible propensity for quoting TV shows, songs, and movies when I feel like it, another attribute I picked up from friends. You would know us as the people who start breaking out into song at any time day or night in student areas. Either that or follow the sound of Monty Python quotes.

Also, I can talk a bit fast, to the point where I'll more or less steamroll over you if you try to get a word in. It's not on purpose, mind you, but in my old age I've gotten to where I'll forget whatever the fuck I was going to say if I don't say it right then and there. Sometimes I mumble a bit, which is a recent(last 5 years) development and I have no idea where that came from.

Terms of affection include(but are not limited to): bitch, dude, chica, girl, woman, honey, sweetie, dear, and sweetie darling

Assorted phrases that pop up now and then:

"Sugar melts, and shit floats"--tends to pop up in conversations about me not using an umbrella when it's raining.
"That's nice, dear"--general Southern colloquialism for STFU.
"Dead rhinoceros asshole"--code words for steak.
"Squished lizard"-- code words for guacamole.
"Like asking for a unicorn that farts glitter/shits gold"--I think it's a bit self-explanatory.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#16 | Back to Top05-20-2010 09:01:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh man, Razara, this is Eliza Doolittle Day!  emot-rofl  Must post before midnight!

I'm a lifelong Floridian, yet I get told by fellow Floridians that I have an accent.  British, Australian, French, take your pick.  In reality it's probably just that I try to talk fast and enunciate words clearly at the same time, so my tongue is constantly out of position.  (That's what she said!  emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-frown)  I tend to trip over myself when I'm very excited or very nervous -- I have trouble thinking and talking at the same time -- but then, at other times, I'm bizarrely articulate.  My verbal tics include using a lot of "ums" to fill space in long utterances when my tongue gets ahead of my brain.

I have been known to wish conversations were more like AIM.

#17 | Back to Top05-21-2010 08:22:48 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Clarice wrote:

I roll my rs. Although when I am speaking to be heard, as in speeches or important situations, my pitch drops and I stop rolling the r, enunciate my vowels properly and end up sounding distinctly British. school-devil Speaking of Britain, myself a a fellow Kiwi used to piss off everyone else in the pharmacy where we worked by referring to everything as "sweet" or "sweet as." It basically means "cool" or "that's fine." But basically we'd just get bewildered looks followed by "...what the HELL is so bloody sweet?!" emot-rofl

lmao
See, I say 'sweet' a lot, I reckon it's an Americanism or something I've picked up from the media, but it's not something you hear often. To be fair though, I say 'lush' a lot now too, meaning like pretty or good quality, but often in a sarcastic way.
As for my speech patterns....I think I write on here a bit like I talk. I'm from Yorkshire, let's say n'more.

Here's some of my dialect:

nowt = nothing
wankered =drunk
pissed = drunk
pissed off =annoyed
mathering = really warm
I'm off t' = I'm going to, in the sense of about to perform an action
I'm off t' deck him like = I'm going to beat him up
I'm off t'shops = I'm going to the shops
bugger me sideways = (surprised)

There's more, I just can't think of them right now because what with using them all the time I don't really see them as too strange, lol.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#18 | Back to Top05-21-2010 12:39:18 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I have what people where I live call a Midwestern Scandinavian-American accent but what others might identify as a Canadian accent. I am not from Canada, sooo....

I often say...

Uff'da-mild Norwegian expletive-basically "well, shit". Freely translated.
Don'cha know

I can't hardly describe it... ask Stormcrow, he's heard my voice.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#19 | Back to Top05-21-2010 01:29:33 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Bluesky wrote:

As for my speech patterns....I think I write on here a bit like I talk. I'm from Yorkshire, let's say n'more.

And it's brilliant! emot-biggrin

Being the Anglophile that I am, I sometimes catch myself typing (more than speaking) things are definitely not usual American phrases.  Though lately, even speaking I've noticed I've been using the phrase "strictly speaking" a lot. As in: "Strictly speaking, Utena and Anthy are not a couple in SKU, though more than half of the fandom treats them like one anyway."

Bluesky wrote:

There's more, I just can't think of them right now because what with using them all the time I don't really see them as too strange, lol.

Exactly. One can usually pick out everyone else's accent or quirks, except their own. I've always wondered what mine sounds like, being a New Englander located smack dab in between NYC and Boston. (Like, literally... I'm about 90mi away from each.)

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (05-21-2010 01:30:43 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#20 | Back to Top05-21-2010 02:36:19 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

I've got a ridiculous amount of speech habits, and leave it to my brain to forget them all as I'm trying to remember. I know I've got a tendency to speak with a cross of ebonics/skateboarder slang when I'm around my family; around my friends, it's more 'dude' and 'totally'. If I'm talking to a person that I know is vastly dumber than me (or doesn't know something they should know at their grade level/age) I'll go into what's been dubbed my 'teaching voice' which basically consists of my 'American accent', proper English and grammar and pronunciation, along with my general nurturing soft spokenness. More specifically and usually more constantly, I'll have my general Spanish accent, until I get around my dad. He and I are famous for breaking out into Euro accents, so my accent will be Spanish for about a minute and then become British for maybe ten minutes in which case it'll change to a Scotch or Irish accent. We also will incorporate movie lines in our conversation when referring to something, or just randomly (here lately, it's been the 'fight in the shade' comment in 300, and the 'private thoughts' comment in The Family That Preys). My mom hates that. Speaking of her, I'll speak in an American accent with a good mix of proper English and ebonics.

I also snatch terms of endearment or phrases that I like from other languages, and every now and again if I'm around a person long enough, I'll pick up their habits a bit. Annnnd, I tend to use words that are outside normal slang to mean something else (i.e. 'dude, she werewolfed you': good sir, she bit you.)

Alright, so now those oddball phrases or mine:

You doin' too much- Self explanatory, though I usually use that phrase when someone's acting particularly idiotic or actually going above and beyond their task.
Spiff- The answer I give when someone asks me how my day was; 'spiffy'='good'
Flippin- PG version of 'fuckin'; also prevents me from getting smacked to the floor by my mom.
Shite- Forgot what dialect that comes from, but it allows me to say 'shit' without my parents jumping on me for it. emot-smile
Thisssss duuuude....- Used when someone has done something totally outrageous or stupid and I'm just thinking 'wtf', or if someone took a lame crack at me.
Really?/Really though guys, like really?- Also used for those 'wtf' moments.
Ehpick Phaiyle/Tantamount ehpick phaiyle- Spelled in such a way to denote a really, really, REALLY extreme fail.
Mami/Mamita/Nena/Chica/Chiquita/Sheila/Amor/Love/Shawdy (used sparingly)- Any of the million and one ways I refer to a girl endearingly.
You jackarsy- Bastardization of 'jackass', but also acceptable in the house.
Toasted/Blazed/Crushed/Nicked- Drunk or high
You're two kinds of dumb and three shades of stupid- Self explanatory
Crisps my bacon- Used to mean 'you know what really pisses me off?' or 'that really bothers me'.
Aye- A word I've currently been using to agree with someone.
Jagger- Word I use for my blade, which I always have.

...............and that's it until I catch myself doing something else. emot-redface emot-keke

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#21 | Back to Top05-21-2010 03:22:39 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

my recently converted Jehova's Witness family members..

Do tell. This sounds like a good story.

I speak in a low, quiet tone, usually slowly, and with odd inflection-pause patterns. I've realized it's kind of like Captain Kirk's speech pause patterns.

#22 | Back to Top05-21-2010 03:30:14 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I love this thread! As someone who has a little side hobby of doing cartoon voices, I LOVE hearing different dialects and accents. As for me, I've been known to talk exactly like Coraline at my most pronounced, in this sort of weird Portland drawl. I'm serious when I say it sounds weird. People from Ireland can't identify me as American. At its worst...

"I have to go back!"

"I heayfe tah go beeayack!"

Yeah that comes out especially weird typed out.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#23 | Back to Top05-21-2010 03:31:57 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Prince_of_Stars wrote:

Shite- Forgot what dialect that comes from, but it allows me to say 'shit' without my parents jumping on me for it. emot-smile

Aye- A word I've currently been using to agree with someone.

Both from the North of England, mate.
Also, cheers IBB. emot-smile

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#24 | Back to Top05-21-2010 05:35:42 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Bluesky wrote:

See, I say 'sweet' a lot, I reckon it's an Americanism or something I've picked up from the media, but it's not something you hear often.

Kiwis would tend to see it as something we say a lot -- we even have t-shirts explaining the concept to tourists. emot-rofl One thing I did notice Oop North that drove me bonkers while I lived there was the tendency to add random endearments to sentences while speaking to complete strangers. The first time a bus driver said: "You right, love?" I thought he was a creepy sex offender. Then a little later I got: "That's two pound fifty, love" from a teenaged checkout operator and things...got both more and less weird from there on in. emot-rofl I noticed "love" a lot around Donny and Sheffield, and then those weirdos from Barnsley said "duck" a bit, and then there was "pet" in Newcastle, so...yeah. Good times. school-devil

You know, I flicked through my dictionary of New Zealand slang to see if there's anything in there that I say that's apparently a Kiwi-ism, and...apparently my usual salutation of "How's tricks?" is one. I will occasionally say "chur, bro!" but given I'm not actually a North Islander or a Maori, I'm usually being at least mildly sarcastic when I do it. I'll end sentences with the Maori "ae?" which is more or less the equivalent of the Japanese "ne" (as in, a spoken question mark, though as New Zealanders often end statements with rising intonation sometimes we just do it for the hell of it). There's also the Maori sentence ending of "ow," but again if I use it I'm just being ironic as that really Rotorua-based Maori accent isn't my natural one; I have the Scottish-influenced Southland accent normally. It's very close to a normal Kiwi accent, we just roll our rs and use Scottish slang, like referring to everything small as "wee" and talking about "going to do the messages" for doing the shopping. school-devil But yeah, that Maori accent is here. If you wonder what a Pākehā is, that's basically my ethnicity; it means any non-Maori in general, but in practice it mainly refers to New Zealanders of white European ancestry. Whether or not it's an insult depends on who you speak to; on census forms some people will put their ethnicity as "white European," while people like me pick "pākehā" every time. emot-biggrin

Here's some more random Kiwi slang, according to my dictionary (most of which I can and do use):

pack a sad -- someone looks miserable, i.e. "why are you packing a sad?"
knock off -- to finish something, e.g. Edmund Hillary climbed up Everest and reported back: "We knocked the bastard off!"
kia ora -- salutation, used in the sense of "hello" but it literally means something like "be well."
kia kaha -- friendly admonition, means "be strong!" A little like the Japanese "ganbatte!"
kapai -- sort of like "very good" or "that's right!" It's Maori, but it is occasionally bastardised into another form with English in "half-pai," which means "half-assed."
hard case -- kind of means something's cool, like "she's a hard case" or "that was massively hard case, man!"
she'll be right, mate -- I doubt there's a Kiwi alive who's never used this one. It means "it'll be okay."
across the ditch -- a way of referring to Australia.
dob in -- turn someone over to the authorities.
ya' reckon? Sentence ending, could be both good and bad.
yonks -- a long time, as in "I haven't seen that programme in yonks!"
whanau -- family; used in the general sense of the extended family, and not necessarily requiring actual blood relation (it's not quite like the Japanese sense of the word "nakama," because nakama implies a close connection without familial links; whanau is more like blood relations and nakama blended together; whakapapa is more the word you'd want for a proper geneological connection, but it refers more to ancestors than the immediate living family...and can also include non-blood relatives. Er.).
throw a wobbly -- to throw a fit over something, particularly something unimportant.
puku -- stomach, belly, tummy. For example, I regularly poke my small nephew in the belly and say "Look at your huge puku!"
whare -- it means "house," but to be honest if I ever use it, it's in a silly context; we have a local K-Mart-type store called "The Warehouse," and it's not uncommon to hear someone say "I'm off to the wharehare, wanna go with?" XD

Also, while looking for that bro'town video, I found another with Flight of the Conchords here. As Jemaine and Bret's accents never fail to crack me up, if you want to hear a fairly typical New Zealand accent, they're the way to go. And though Jemaine's accent IS slightly exaggerated, as Kiwis we do love it so.

...actually, I just realised that this is not only a perfect example of the Kiwi attitude towards Aussies, but actually has a bit of the slang above in it anyway. And yes, "mate, ya dreamin'!" has become a standard expression ever since. emot-rofl

Last edited by Clarice (05-21-2010 05:37:55 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#25 | Back to Top05-21-2010 05:46:49 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Clarice wrote:

Bluesky wrote:

See, I say 'sweet' a lot, I reckon it's an Americanism or something I've picked up from the media, but it's not something you hear often.

Kiwis would tend to see it as something we say a lot -- we even have t-shirts explaining the concept to tourists. emot-rofl One thing I did notice Oop North that drove me bonkers while I lived there was the tendency to add random endearments to sentences while speaking to complete strangers. The first time a bus driver said: "You right, love?" I thought he was a creepy sex offender. Then a little later I got: "That's two pound fifty, love" from a teenaged checkout operator and things...got both more and less weird from there on in. emot-rofl I noticed "love" a lot around Donny and Sheffield, and then those weirdos from Barnsley said "duck" a bit, and then there was "pet" in Newcastle, so...yeah. Good times. school-devil

Oh shit, we do do that with the endearments. That's totally normal round here though, I call people mate all the time (okay, that's more of a man thing to do, but I've heard other lesbians say it too). It's the kind of thing you can say to strangers. 'Love' is more of an older person's thing though I reckon, like an older bloke talking to a lass or an older lady. I'd be annoyed if someone younger said it to me though. Like I was in a pub yesterday and the woman behind the bar was calling everyone sweetheart. I mean, she was obviously off her tits on god knows what, but still....I thought it was nicer rather than like inappropriate or whatever. I guess that's indicative of the attitude.
Yeah, you'll get 'duck' round Barnsley, at least you didn't get 'duckie'. emot-tongue Haven't heard that in Yorkshire meself, I wonder if it's more down Lancaster way.
'Pet' is pretty much THE stereotypical Newcastle thing. When you ask people to do a Geordie accent they tend to go, 'why aye, pet' or something.
But yeah, for us it's not weird. There's a guy at my village shop, actually, whose got a proper thick Yorkshire accent (I'd guess he hasn't moved far from Scarborough) who calls the women who come in 'lass', which I hadn't come across before. He does it to me AND me mum and it pisses her off. I just think it's funny. 
So yeah. Oh, and we say 'wee', 'dob in' and 'yonks' too.
Speaking of a Geordie accent, can anyone interpret this? I didn't have a clue when my housemate first said it, lol:

"Bah, she's keird."

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Board footer