This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-23-2017 07:36:23 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

Re: Utena Blu-Ray Release in 2016

Here's a link to the tweet from Nozomi Entertainment about the 2017 release:

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/815922363971813376

And here's the Anime News Network post about that tweet:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b … 17/.110597

Sadly, Nozomi hasn't announced a specific release date yet. The company seems to currently be focusing on its Blu-Ray and DVD releases of many of the Gundam series; hopefully we'll get some updates in the coming months.

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#27 | Back to Top03-24-2017 08:49:55 AM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks for the links!  The lack of a release date is definitely frustrating... maybe they think they can't disappoint people by missing a release date if they don't set one.  We'll keep our eyes peeled for details, I guess.

#28 | Back to Top04-25-2017 03:20:41 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Arale wrote:

It is, after all, Utena's 20th anniversary!!

oh my god

im old

emot-gonk Me too....  Not really but damn it feels like it.  I'll be 30 this July...

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#29 | Back to Top07-01-2017 06:06:42 PM

descry77
Miki Molester

I'm surprised nobody has posted this, but … Nozomi has FINALLY listed the Utena Blu-Rays for PREORDER! Checkout the trailer on their Facebook and Youtube page!

https://www.facebook.com/nozomient/vide … nref=story – Leave a heart and a comment, and show them your love.

https://youtu.be/UEQb2lbBIEs – Share!

The extremely limited SPECIAL 20th ANNIVERSARY Limited Edition version of Revolutionary Girl Utena Ultra Collection contains episodes 1-39 + Movie in a special 20th Anniversary Edition box plus extras such as a replica Rose Crest Ring, a replica Black Rose Crest ring, and a 250+ page art book - featuring episode commentaries by Director Ikuhara, interviews with staff, behind the scenes stories, liner notes, art galleries and more! Release Date: 12/5/2017. Price: MSRP $224.99 $134.99 (for now). That's 40% savings, and just in time for the holiday! http://nzani.me/v38m9

There will also be three regular edition sets (Student Council / Black Rose / Apocalypse). The Student Council Blu-ray set is also now available for pre-order. Release Date: 10/3/2017. Price: MSRP $49.99 $29.99 (for now). http://nzani.me/4almn

The SKU Musical is missing, and no official cover artwork is available yet. Guess you can't have everything. Still … I'm super excited, and I've already preordered the LE one. What about you?

PS. Edited to include more accurate information.

Last edited by descry77 (07-06-2017 11:02:58 PM)

#30 | Back to Top07-01-2017 06:44:58 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

descry77 wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has posted this, but … Nozomi has FINALLY listed the Utena Blu-Rays for PREORDER! Checkout the trailer on their Facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/nozomient/vide … nref=story

Extremely limited SPECIAL 20th ANNIVERSARY Limited Edition version of Revolutionary Girl Utena Ultra Collection contains episodes 1-39 + Movie in a special 20th Anniversary Edition box plus extras such as a replica Rose Crest Ring, a replica Black Rose Crest ring, and a 250+ page art book - featuring episode commentaries by Director Ikuhara, interviews with staff, behind the scenes stories, liner notes, art galleries and more! http://nzani.me/v38m9

There will also be three regular edition sets (Student Council / Black Rose / Apocalypse). The Student Council Blu-ray set is also now available for pre-order: http://nzani.me/4almn

Release Date: 12/5/2017. Price: MSRP $224.99 $134.99 (for now). That's savings, and just in time for the holiday! The SKU Musical is missing, and no official cover artwork is available yet. Guess you can't have everything. Still … I'm super excited, and I've already preordered mine. What about you?

Well, crap. I literally just acquired the entire series on DVD, and now this comes along to tempt me. However, I agree that the [sale] price is fairly reasonable, especially when one factors in the extra goodies. Preordering mine now...

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#31 | Back to Top07-02-2017 06:25:44 AM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

Also pre-ordered mine - it'll be my Christmas gift to me, haha emot-smile At first, I thought the price seemed a bit high, but after thinking about it, 134 doesn't seem too bad after considering everything the set includes.

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#32 | Back to Top07-02-2017 07:22:58 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

hmmmm i really want that book. i want everything else too but the book most of all, and i don't really spend money like that. so i hope the book gets an independent release

im a shadow play girl irl

#33 | Back to Top07-04-2017 12:19:30 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm really curious about what will be in the book. In all likelihood, nothing I don't already have, but I'm going to have to save up to get this thing, if I manage to snag it at all.

It's awesome they're doing this, though. I can hardly blame them for not having the musical there. I'm pretty sure there's no option to obtain it for them.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#34 | Back to Top07-04-2017 12:44:56 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

Japanese musicals are very niche, and the Utena musical probably didn't have the legs that the Sailor Moon Musicals did. That being said, I'd like to think of them using that money to give us the extras (box, rings, book, etc). I also hope they get all the gorgeous Japanese BD Artwork, including the holding-hands Utena and Anthy. One can dream …

#35 | Back to Top07-04-2017 01:34:12 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Preordered, thanks for the heads up! That's a ton of stuff for that price... at this point I don't even feel like I have a choice not to order, my fingers were typing in card information before I could stop myself.

I'm mostly curious about the book as well, though it's doubtful there would be new artwork-- maybe a new interview though? It's possible.

I also wonder about those ring sizes-- they didn't ask for one on the preorder at least, will they actually be sized? Realistically I'd guess not, as that would be a lot of work to have that many rings made (3D printed, you think? For mass production?) in different sizes and to have the full packages all separated by that detail.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#36 | Back to Top07-04-2017 02:03:10 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

Per Nozomi's fb posting responses, the rings will be one size. I'm going to assume it's the same size as the previous Rose Ring they included in the DVD set, just with an additional Black Rose Ring. I wouldn't hold out on a Movie Rose Ring. The art book will contain all of the stuff from the previous DVD sets. New packaging, better video, improved subtitles. Region A Blu-Rays, obviously. More details to come …

Last edited by descry77 (07-04-2017 09:18:48 AM)

#37 | Back to Top07-04-2017 07:25:13 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Improved subtitles...like translation editing? emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#38 | Back to Top07-05-2017 12:00:01 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Spent money on my first ever double dip.

I am so weak.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#39 | Back to Top07-05-2017 09:02:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

!!!!!! ALERT

So I have been contacted by a rep for Nozomi (OMFG) and there is indeed going to be some correction and improvement to the subtitles used in the first releases, including stuff like making character name spellings more consistent with what the fan base takes as canon. They're close to press time for the first season but I was asked if any other things stick out for improvement! For those that weren't here, Nozomi also got a lot of input about the initial releases from right here, and it's wicked awesome of them to do this.

To this end I'm rewatching the show and should probably start livetweeting or something. Except it would probably sound like I hate the show, because I roast the everloving crap out of it. poptart

....but would that really be so bad?

#40 | Back to Top07-06-2017 12:23:57 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

"Hate is a four-letter word. Love is a four-letter lie."

This is something Akio would say (or so I think). So go ahead and hate all you want, because at the End of the World, you're doing it for all of us SKU fans. Many thanks!

#41 | Back to Top07-06-2017 10:22:30 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Oh my god I'm so ready. ...But so broke as well emot-gonk
I already have the first two DVD box sets from Nozomi but I don't care, heck yeah collections!

...Damn I haven't been here in months, hello again Utena brethren.

This binch be postin' once every century

#42 | Back to Top07-06-2017 09:35:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

descry77 wrote:

"Hate is a four-letter word. Love is a four-letter lie."

"Hate is a four-letter word. Love is a four-letter lie. Fuck is a four-letter life goal."

Fixed for accuracy to character. cool

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu

I'm doin' it. This is going to be such a huge steaming dumpster fire.

#43 | Back to Top07-10-2017 08:06:43 AM

vandownbyriver
Wakaba Wrangler

IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

I just pre-ordered the Ultra edition; let's hope things stay on schedule and remain awesome.  I'm so excited!

#44 | Back to Top07-10-2017 07:24:40 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey guys, just so you know, we have until the end of tonight to bring up any translation issues/share any opinions we might have for episodes 1-12. The full list I have so far is here; feel free to answer here in the forum, on tumblr, or by emailing me or Gio. I will be checking probably about 3 or 4 am MST and making a final count then, as I've promised to have everything finished up and ready for Tuesday morning.

And my sincere apologies for not linking the tumblr post earlier! This won't happen again, as we have a few weeks to deal with the BRS. Thanks for any input etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#45 | Back to Top07-11-2017 12:45:11 AM

descry77
Miki Molester

Looks like the prices for these are slowing increasing. It's now $134.99 $146.22 and $29.99 $32.49 respectively. Also, updated (not-final) box art for the 20th Anniversary Ultra Edition Blu-Ray.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/images/productImages/742617172823_anime-revolutionary-girl-utena-20th-anniversary-blu-ray-primary.jpg?resizeid=5&resizeh=1000&resizew=1000

Last edited by descry77 (07-19-2017 06:39:41 PM)

#46 | Back to Top07-18-2017 08:38:35 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey thanks for the input that got sent last time-- I'm now working on translation issues for the Black Rose Saga and I'd love it if people could chime in! There are more details here, for anyone interested in seeing what's already been sent in, but it's not necessary-- if you know something that should be changed, please do let me know, either here or by email. Thanks, all!

Edit: Ha, should mention that we have until Friday emot-dance

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#47 | Back to Top07-24-2017 01:00:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Hey guys! So I collected up the issues with the Black Rose Saga, and I've made a survey to see what everyone thinks about them. Please check it out, take five minutes to answer it, and let me know your opinions!

etc-loveetc-loveTHE SURVEYetc-loveetc-love

#48 | Back to Top07-24-2017 02:22:04 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Gaaaaaaaaah.

I know some Japanese. I'm aware of the cultural reasoning behind a few sayings that don't really have much impact when translated literally... but question 3 is a blindspot for me. I didn't even know the existing translation wasn't literal, and as a result I can't help but suspect there's a reason I'm not seeing behind the phrasing of Wakaba's actual line...

See, In ep.25 (when Saionji shows up to challenge Utena) one of his lines is translated as "you wouldn't understand, even if I told you." Even with my fragile-at-best grasp of the language, I can sorta tell that the translation there is more literally accurate. Completely different context of course, but still I feel more or less safe in assuming that I'm not missing anything (at the very least, nothing really important to the scene) in the way of unspoken implications a native would notice behind what he says.

Hence, my desire to better grasp the reasoning behind Wakaba's line. Unfortunately my google-fu just isn't strong enough to put me anywhere near the answer, so I'm going to have to pray someone here with access to more appropriate resources notices and can let us know... but either way, while my principles lean toward changing the subtitle to the more literal translation, I'm gonna hold off on turning in the sheet for now.

Also, the flashback question is a bit weird to me. Does "the echo is awkward" refer to the translation of the line at the end that repeats three times, or something else?

Last edited by Chrome Homura (07-24-2017 02:25:18 PM)

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#49 | Back to Top07-24-2017 05:01:06 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

im a shadow play girl irl

#50 | Back to Top07-25-2017 12:24:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Chrome Homura wrote:

See, In ep.25 (when Saionji shows up to challenge Utena) one of his lines is translated as "you wouldn't understand, even if I told you." Even with my fragile-at-best grasp of the language, I can sorta tell that the translation there is more literally accurate. Completely different context of course, but still I feel more or less safe in assuming that I'm not missing anything (at the very least, nothing really important to the scene) in the way of unspoken implications a native would notice behind what he says.

Holy shit, you're right and I am now wondering if the better thematic decision is to have what Saionji says to Utena call back to Wakaba's line in some very obvious way. Something like this:

Nozomi DVDs wrote:

Wakaba:  You wouldn't understand!
Wakaba:  You'll never understand!

Saionji:  I see. You don't understand.
Saionji:  You couldn't understand, even if I explained it to you.

Being this:

Wakaba:  You just don't understand!
Wakaba:  You wouldn't understand, even if I told you!

Saionji:  I see. You don't understand.
Saionji:  You wouldn't understand, even if I told you...

It lessens, a little, the severe pomposity of Saionji's line there, but it's Saionji, we know he's being pompous, and the callback would be horrifyingly fitting, since it's an accusation made by two related characters, from absolute opposite ends of the spectrum. Wakaba says it because Utena can't relate to being ordinary, Saionji says it because he thinks Utena can't relate to how exceptional he now is.

PS FUCK YOU FOR MAKING ME WATCH WAKABA'S DUEL AGAIN that shit shaves a year off my life every single time.

Board footer