This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-26-2007 05:34:01 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Utena and You: Yes,you.

So it's a no brainer that all of us here like Utena. And if you don't, uhm, well ...we have lovely pastries for you somewhere in the IFD section. What I wanna know is what about Utena has actually crossed over into your life? Do you know any Juri type folks? exploit your obsessions ...all the "cool" people are doing it.

My friend and I usually say
" [insert name] I've misjudged you! I'm so Shocked" at random,in-oppurtune times and people are just like WTF.
Or recently on a trip, I turned to her saying " come with me (go with you where?!) to the end of the world that which you seek!"
Or the famous Egg speech ....with bonus "call out" lines.
"If it cannot hatch from its shell, (OH crap, maybe it's a still-born)
the chick will die without ever truly being born. (oh shit, it *is* a still born)
We are the chick; the world is our egg. (Oh noooooo, I'm the still born!)
If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born.  (gotta go break some stuff....breakin' stillborns?)
Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World!" (The Revolution of still borns?)

and what about *you* ?

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#2 | Back to Top03-26-2007 06:48:25 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Utena and You: Yes,you.

....should I point to the website?

emot-biggrin

More seriously, I make odd comments about Princes to people who have no idea what I'm talking about. I do this on purpose because I think it's funny to see people get all wide-eyed when I tell them I'd rather be a Prince than a Princess, and to look at them like they're crazy when they start asking why I want to be a guy. emot-biggrin

Also, I can never say 'it's not the end of the world' without snickering.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top03-26-2007 07:07:35 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

It's impossible to ride an elevator without that organ music in the back of my skull. emot-rolleyes

More seriously I look for Akio Games everywhere and see them everywhere: in "reality" TV, in corporations and hierarchies of all kinds, the the way columnists and commentators manipulate opinion by playing on fear and greed.

#4 | Back to Top03-26-2007 07:13:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

When my sister and I talk together, there isn't a person alive who could understand everything that we're saying, though SKU fans would have a slightly higher chance than others.

For one thing, every time we get our hands on a rose, we always offer it to the other and say, "Kiseki wo shinjite, omoi wa todoku to." (Believe in miracles, and they will know your feelings.) Our school was selling roses that they had grown in the school greenhouse, and we both just had to buy one.

A while ago we were talking and the conversation went like this:

Kealdrea: *Joke* "____ asked me out today. If I had said yes, I could just imagine you freaking out and saying, "No! I won't let you have her!" (*Quoting Akito from Fruits Basket*)

Razara: "No, you're going about this the wrong way. I would have pushed him down a flight of stairs. Duh."

I always find it amusing whenever we drink milkshakes together. It makes me think of Miki and Kozue.

#5 | Back to Top03-26-2007 07:15:04 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

The most obvious one I can think of for me is the naming of my computer's hard drives to Ohtori and Nemuro.

Oh, and the egg speech has been in my AIM profile for something like a year and a half now... (in purple and pink letters, no less.)

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else where I will randomly cite SKU in some way to the rest of the world. If there is it's buried so subconsciously that I can't even tell. emot-redface

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top03-26-2007 08:01:26 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

The main thing I can think of is whenever I go to Disney Quest with friends, we make a ritual out of the Disney Song Maker. Every time we make this one song called "When I Rule The World" into this completely Akio filled song. Then we burn it onto and CD. Usually it gets lost so that's why we remake it every time we go. Next time I go I'll have to upload the song for you guys. It's SO dirty. school-devil

#7 | Back to Top03-26-2007 09:04:15 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Honestly, it's part of my daily life in some way.
Every CD I own has at least one song I can attribute to the series.
I can't watch Boston Legal without thinking of James Spader as Akio or Candice Bergen as Utena.
Then, everytime one of my friends comes to me for advice, I have to resist the urge to say, "Deeper. Go deeper."
I'm also on the constant lookout for Indian people hot enough to be Akio and Anthy.
The show in general has given me a whole new appreciation for the French Revolution.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top03-26-2007 09:40:12 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

i would pose the question "what would akio do" to everything. but never follow through. and for 2 straight years i said "for the love of dios!" emot-keke

my friends and i all had rose colors asigned to us and at a random get together we staged some duels with special clip on roses i made for the two duelists.
i know..completely dorky!
one of my friends even wrote me a song about my love for touga!! i wish i remembered it emot-gonk

oh yeah! one word...Tenjoism.

Last edited by KissingT.Kiryuu (03-26-2007 09:40:29 PM)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#9 | Back to Top03-27-2007 09:22:02 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

I've already made a CD with only one track on it (Akio Car) for when I get a car of my own.  That track will be on loop-di-loop forever.

Sometimes I hum Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku when I get dressed.

Whenever I'm with one of my SKU-crazed friends and we get to some stairs, I'll just randomly shout out "OHNOEZ, WHERE'S THE GONDOLA?"

I've named my computer "Mikage."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#10 | Back to Top03-27-2007 10:08:40 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I have "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku" as ringtone emot-dance

#11 | Back to Top03-27-2007 10:11:50 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

My wife and I exchanged rose signets years ago.  And then we wore outfits based on Utena's uniform and Anthy's Rose Bride dress for our wedding.

Also, SKU as metaphor in daily life.  Constantly.

#12 | Back to Top03-27-2007 10:34:26 AM

Fayli
Saionji Slapper

There are so many ways it enters into my life that it's scary emot-gonk

What makes me laugh though is that i'll often say, 'Oh i can see that in Utena', or, 'This remind me of Utena.' I say things like that all the time school-eng101

Last edited by Fayli (03-27-2007 10:35:24 AM)

#13 | Back to Top03-27-2007 01:01:55 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

well, utena is always in my thoughts. mostly because of the sims.

occasionally a friend of mine comes over for the utena drinking game.
what we would do is start the game with the first 13 eps only. we would take hard liquor and do a double shot everytime anthy gets hit. once i get bored of that (roughly 1 1/2 episodes in) we would then take double shots everytime anyone got hit! or touched.

then there are times when someone will be talking about their love life and i go will go up to them and ask them if their prince was alot like me.emot-keke

We all have our own little addictions.

#14 | Back to Top03-27-2007 01:32:38 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I have found new appreciation for latex shorts.

I can no longer go into my garden without contemplating what all the colors represent.

I can no longer look at colors in general without linking them to a character.

I sing Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku every single day as I go up the school staircase.

I used to pray to Dios a few years ago. Eventually, I realized how silly that was...

Now I pray to Akio school-devil

Last edited by dollface (03-27-2007 03:10:04 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#15 | Back to Top03-27-2007 02:55:29 PM

Vesus
Touga Topper

I have never seen a shadow the same way after SKU emot-biggrinemot-biggrin

Still lurking... Your books will be mine... and your papers... and thesis... and ice cream... school-devil

#16 | Back to Top03-27-2007 04:33:41 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

I have a habit of calling people "Princes" when they've done something moral or nice which I never did before I started watching Utena. I even told my boyfriend he was a real prince once when he lit my ciggarette for me. He told me to call him a Captain instead. emot-tongue

Last edited by skewed_tartan (03-27-2007 04:34:05 PM)

#17 | Back to Top03-27-2007 05:51:02 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Well, I always find myself humming Virtual Star Embryology in elevators.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#18 | Back to Top03-27-2007 08:06:13 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Yasha wrote:

More seriously, I make odd comments about Princes to people who have no idea what I'm talking about. I do this on purpose because I think it's funny to see people get all wide-eyed when I tell them I'd rather be a Prince than a Princess, and to look at them like they're crazy when they start asking why I want to be a guy. emot-biggrin

I do that too. I get the same looks from people;most of the time I go off on rants about princes and princesses, and I get blank stares, while my friends (who are not SKU fans) get this "here she goes again..." look.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#19 | Back to Top03-28-2007 06:57:44 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I have 'Rose and Release' as one of my ringtones and 'Nemuro Kinenkan' as another. 

Everytime I see a Japanese student with 'anime' hair (dyed blue, red, purple, green or some other colour besides black) I keep wondering if they would look good cosplaying as an Utena character.

Also I check out jewellery stores to see if they have any kind of Rose Ring.

#20 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:13:24 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

None of my friends or family IRL and on my forum are fans of SKU, a few are mildly interested but that's it. So no in-jokes for me. emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

But I have a lot of the songs on my iPod and hum them constantly, especially Virtual Star Embryology.I should start humming ettai when I go up stairs because I have a looooot of stairs in my college.

Yasha wrote:

Also, I can never say 'it's not the end of the world' without snickering.

*raises hand* Guilty.

Last edited by YamPuff (03-28-2007 07:14:39 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#21 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:21:27 AM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Whenever someone give me that look that says "you're weird/scary/creepy" I want to give them a sweet, sweet smile and say "Domo!"

Whenever someone starts talking about Prince Charming ("everyone wants a Prince Charming" or some such) I sort of snicker and mumble something about revolution and down with royalties... Once there was a friend who I had shown Utena who went on the same thing (with bonus reference to the Prince Charming from Fables, who is quite the Akio-lite) and they all looked at us like we were crazy emot-biggrin

But that's about it.

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#22 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:21:38 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Easter is also funny for me now that I see chocolate 'Tamagos' on sale everywhere.

Etrangere wrote:

Whenever someone give me that look that says "you're weird/scary/creepy" I want to give them a sweet, sweet smile and say "Domo!"

You should try it at least once, just try to use it on the right people for maximun effect! emot-keke

Last edited by Tamago (03-28-2007 07:23:50 AM)

#23 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:22:44 AM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Oh, yes, i do sing the Tamago, tamago, watashi no tamago song out of the blue, now and then!

Yes. You shouldn't be suspicious of Anthy. Her big brother is your watching. There is no war in Ba Sing Se. ~ Dalbun

#24 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:35:15 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Etrangere wrote:

Oh, yes, i do sing the Tamago, tamago, watashi no tamago song out of the blue, now and then!

In the shower or out in public?

#25 | Back to Top03-28-2007 08:08:23 AM

Etrangere
Rose Smilee
Website

Tamago wrote:

Etrangere wrote:

In the shower or out in public?

In the street... not very loudly though... emot-redface

Board footer