This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-24-2011 11:08:43 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

Akio question -- what are those gold armbands he wears?

This is probably exposing my ignorance of high men's fashion, but what are the gold armbands Akio wears?  I simply have no idea what they are.  I'm strongly considering re-doing an Akio cosplay from way back in the day (maybe in vinyl, because I'm a freak!)

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#2 | Back to Top08-25-2011 12:11:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Akio question -- what are those gold armbands he wears?

He's wearing sleeve garters. Popular in the late 1900s when mens' shirts came ready made in very few sizes and so had long sleeves so they'd fit the most people possible. There are several things wrong with Akio wearing them.

1. He's fucking tall, he wouldn't need them.
2. They were also associated more with working classes or the not-super-rich, who of course could afford tailoring. The popular stereotypes you'd see wearing them now are bartenders and gamblers and such from the era.
3. His are gold. WTF.

Something the wiki doesn't mention is sleeve garters, along with suspenders, and other men's functional wear that isn't necessary anymore, have actually tested among women as equivalent to lingerie in that they tend to uh...spark the imagination.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top08-25-2011 12:00:24 PM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Not quite high men's fashion, then, but retro working class fashion. I doubt Saito/Hasegawa knew the history of sleeve garters, they probably just added them to contribute to an old-fashioned dandy image for Akio, but there is a strange irony in him wearing gold sleeve garters. In the modern world, it would be like a designer clip-on tie made of fine silk with gold clips, or a pair of Crocs made with high-grade Italian leather. The gold armband also creates some continuity with Anthy's red witch outfit from the flashback.

#4 | Back to Top10-06-2011 09:23:01 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

They make him look like a riverboat gambler or some other kind of hustler. They also look like manacles and creates some kind of continuity with Anthy's ankle bracelet (from the last episode).

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2011 12:57:55 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

They make him look like a riverboat gambler or some other kind of hustler.

I wouldn't doubt the "hustler" motif. emot-keke

Though it might have to do with the popularity of bartenders as a staple of shoujo works (esp. manga).
For whatever reason, you always see those things on bartenders in anime~ cool

#6 | Back to Top05-12-2015 02:15:49 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

Well, so I didn't know the history of those armbands before... When I saw them first, they looked like chains to me - a sign that even Akio is somehow trapped, in his case it's both Ohtori Academy (is he any longer able to live outside? Without his smaller and bigger plots and feel of control?) and his own past.

#7 | Back to Top05-13-2015 01:48:24 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

They're kind of popular here, right now, among businessmen and our school administration. I think it's supposed to be stylish and "down to earth," and retro. Seems to go along with the "new classic" skirts and blouses on women.

I wonder if something similar swept through Japan at some point.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#8 | Back to Top05-13-2015 11:18:57 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Everything old is new again. emot-frown

I originally took from them the same thing you did, Enea, and I suspect that's what the design is meant to imply. That and the whole working man's style thing--for all his expensive cars and such, Akio does a fairly piss poor job presenting himself as obnoxiously rich. He carries the hallmarks of, if any group, the nouveau riche. Expensive gadgets, expensive accessories, and a lot of flash. Very much the opposite of the demure and understated elegance that would be expected of old money.

There's also that his armbands echo the gold armband Anthy wears in the flashbacks, which could be also part of that depiction of him as the one trapped now. The loose red shirt would also be an echo of her very baggy little red number. Almost like he wants to 'accidentally' remind her of who she was at that time, trapped, oppressed, but strong.

As for Japan, I've never seen a bartender of any status depicted in Japanese media that didn't have the armbands. It's a fashion statement they seem very fond of, which makes sense since it's from the Prohibition era that lends a lot to their current cocktail culture.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#9 | Back to Top05-13-2015 11:42:59 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Enea wrote:

Well, so I didn't know the history of those armbands before... When I saw them first, they looked like chains to me - a sign that even Akio is somehow trapped, in his case it's both Ohtori Academy (is he any longer able to live outside? Without his smaller and bigger plots and feel of control?) and his own past.

I really like this idea.

But am I the only person who thought those armbands looked a lot like oversized cockrings?

#10 | Back to Top05-14-2015 12:21:32 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

What makes you think they're oversized?

emot-dance

Board footer