This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-30-2009 07:17:32 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

ChuChu as Anthy's Eating Disorder

Random thought that came to me today, with -10 intellectual merit. school-devil

Some say ChuChu gives hints as to Anthy's true emotional state - that sometimes when he's crying and she's calm (for instance), it's because she's crying on the inside (but is so separated from her pain and emotions that she can't). Eg. Anthy is with her brother...er...cleaning, ChuChu is crying in bed, and Utena is attempting to comfort ChuChu and wondering where Anthy is.

So why not take this a step further? emot-tongue

Most of the time ChuChu is chowing down as fast as he can. He eats anything, everything, and even throws up (bulimia omg!) from eating too much.

I'd like to suggest that ChuChu's eating disorder (incredible greed and eating constantly) is how Anthy deals with her emotional pain (through eating. only she can't eat cause she's the rose bride and has to drink tea, and look pretty, and keep herself in shape for random acts of sex etc-wankgirl). So rather than Anthy having an eating disorder to cope with pain and loss of control, ChuChu inherits the disorder.

Isn't that the most crazy (stupid) thing you ever heard? emot-dance

#2 | Back to Top06-30-2009 09:17:29 AM

The_A_Man
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: ChuChu as Anthy's Eating Disorder

Ya, this is pretty crazy.

#3 | Back to Top06-30-2009 11:33:16 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

It really doesn't seem all that far-fetched really. It actually rather makes a bit of sense.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#4 | Back to Top06-30-2009 12:24:25 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Lady Chani wrote:

It really doesn't seem all that far-fetched really. It actually rather makes a bit of sense.

That is the acid called Utena, my friend. Almost any thesis will have merit.

This one does make sense. I always thought of Chu Chu eating all the time as symbolism of Anthy truely wishing for people to care for her as an individual (eating up goodies (affection) v. getting penetrated("eaten" in a sense) by swords (hate).

Last edited by Anthiena (06-30-2009 12:25:43 PM)

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#5 | Back to Top06-30-2009 01:47:10 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I can see how that would be very useful, instead of getting treatment or dealing with your eating disorder, you can just transfer it to a pet like Chu-Chu.

its just as well that Anthy isn't a secret anorexic, otherwise Chu-Chu would starve to death.

Last edited by Tamago (06-30-2009 01:48:01 PM)

#6 | Back to Top06-30-2009 02:02:01 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

This idea...actually makes sense, but yeah, it's crazy.  In a good way, of course.emot-wink  etc-love to Sharnii.

#7 | Back to Top06-30-2009 03:50:17 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Yeah.  Chu Chu is Anthy's familiar, so not only is he running around causing havoc for Nanami and pestering Saionji and so on, Anthy also probably channels through him whatever leftover wants or needs she has inside.  She is the Rose Bride, but we also know she still has *some* feeling left in her, and, darn those annoying emotions getting in the way of the game!  Chu Chu would be a convenient outlet.

I also wonder if she was attracted to Tatsuya, as Chu Chu expressed a great interest in him.  Anthy must have been horny!

#8 | Back to Top06-30-2009 09:40:50 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Anthiena: I always thought of Chu Chu eating all the time as symbolism of Anthy truely wishing for people to care for her as an individual (eating up goodies (affection) v. getting penetrated("eaten" in a sense) by swords (hate).

Whoa! That's deep. emot-biggrin I like it.

Tamago: its just as well that Anthy isn't a secret anorexic, otherwise Chu-Chu would starve to death.

Aw imagine a skinny starving ChuChu. His cuteness would really go downhill...

Alex: I also wonder if she was attracted to Tatsuya, as Chu Chu expressed a great interest in him.  Anthy must have been horny

And she was sitting at that table so innocently too...God, maybe she's horny all the time... school-devil
Or maybe she's attracted to the frog? No No! Stop it, stop it! etc-wankgirl

#9 | Back to Top06-30-2009 10:27:28 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

If we're going with that, does the frog resemble Akio? Frog Prince, and all that. See how that thing sobs and clings to Chu-Chu when Anthy leaves Ohtori.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. emot-mad

... emot-dance

#10 | Back to Top07-01-2009 04:07:47 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Lady Nil: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. emot-mad

I have committed creative/logic atrocities, that you are only adding to... school-eng101 Thank you! emot-dance

Yes yes, Akio is the frog. I can see it now...
And notice ChuChu looks dejected when he climbs off Akio's table as Anthy is leaving. She looks pretty happy.

Which is interesting that a part of Anthy grieves over leaving her brother behind. (Also backed up by Lady Nil's frog theory tm)

#11 | Back to Top07-01-2009 05:08:36 AM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

This is the most awesome thread I've read.  I NEVER thought about the frog in the ending like that.

Wow... what other situations like this are there in the series?!

Last edited by Alexandra (07-01-2009 05:09:02 AM)

#12 | Back to Top07-01-2009 08:20:54 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Alex: This is the most awesome thread I've read.

It's certainly fun. etc-love

Let's see...can I make the twisted logic work further with the frog...
How about that fight scene between ChuChu and the frog when Saionji and Utena are talking outside the bird cage (about Saionji's childhood friendship with Touga, and how an eternal friendship doesn't exist).

ChuChu throws up at the beginning. Hmm bulimia? emot-tongue Or perhaps eavesdropping-Anthy's true reaction to Saionji's approaching presence? And his foolish laughable hopes toward her and toward eternity?

The frog starts fighting ChuChu at this moment, showing that Akio and Anthy are in an eternal war love/hate relationship with each other - and thus, highlighting that Saionji's desire for that eternal relationship is even more laughable, and pathetic. (The true eternal relationship is actually an eternal passive-aggressive argument).

/sighs contentedly

Ah good times. Abuse of logic. *rubs hands and looks over to see if Akio approves* etc-wankgirl

#13 | Back to Top07-01-2009 10:41:02 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

its also said that some people eat when nervous...
Props to you, because I can completely see this as a eating disorder.
poptart

#14 | Back to Top07-01-2009 03:08:01 PM

Hanayome
Miki Molester

There is also this scene in ep. 3:
The Utena Gallery at Empty Movement
Chu-chu is throwing up right after Anthy got Nanami's dress. Perhaps Anthy was disgusted for Nanami's dirty trick?
Just a random thought. Great thread, anyway^_^

#15 | Back to Top07-02-2009 02:50:34 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Nice catch, Hanayome! I approve your theory. school-eng101
And I'll add to it that Anthy is also throwing up because the dress is so goddamn ugly. That's what she thinks of Nanami's taste. school-devil

And thanks, Setsuna. etc-love In keeping with the nervous thing...maybe that's why ChuChu is getting drunk on champagne while Anthy is at the ball. She said she doesn't like crowds...maybe she was nervous so ChuChu got drunk to feel better. And maybe she anticipated the upcoming nudity, and got ChuChu drunk to deal the better with that.

I hope that's not why she's smiling during the Utena/Anthy dance tho...sheer drunken happiness... emot-dance

#16 | Back to Top07-02-2009 03:06:29 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

This makes a creepy amount of sense. I always wondered what he was for and now I see it... And the fact that he's a mouse may refer to Anthy's timidness, or that her emotions have been cast aside and left to scurry around, trying to keep up with her. But maybe I am over reading this. emot-rolleyes

#17 | Back to Top07-02-2009 08:54:43 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Hanayome wrote:

Chu-chu is throwing up right after Anthy got Nanami's dress. Perhaps Anthy was disgusted for Nanami's dirty trick?

Remember, he's throwing up because he just ate the dessicating materials put into the dress box that were there to keep the dress from getting damp and melting.  Indication that Anthy clearly knows what's being done and is just swallowing the story to behave correctly for Utena?

#18 | Back to Top07-02-2009 09:03:34 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Hanayome wrote:

I etc-love the gallery. So helpful.

#19 | Back to Top07-02-2009 01:58:06 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

All I know is that Chuchu certainly appears to enjoy swallowing anything Utena gives him.
emot-dance

....I feel bad for even typing that.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#20 | Back to Top07-02-2009 06:31:23 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

tohubohu: Remember, he's throwing up because he just ate the dessicating materials put into the dress box that were there to keep the dress from getting damp and melting.  Indication that Anthy clearly knows what's being done and is just swallowing the story to behave correctly for Utena?

Wow, tohuboho, you're good at this! emot-tongue That's some hot theory right there.

Miss Bluesky: All I know is that Chuchu certainly appears to enjoy swallowing anything Utena gives him.
emot-dance

etc-wankgirl

#21 | Back to Top09-09-2011 04:38:10 PM

gumi
Wakaba Wrangler

But even if we assume that ChuChu represents anthy then why is he dressed as Akio?

#22 | Back to Top09-10-2011 06:27:50 AM

wblstudios
Banned

gumi wrote:

But even if we assume that ChuChu represents anthy then why is he dressed as Akio?

Because, for most of the series, Anthy represents Akio.

Board footer