This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-31-2006 06:48:50 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Re: Favorite books/Books you are currently reading

Giovanna wrote:

morosemocha wrote:

I've been rereading Hannibal by Thomas Harris for possibly the umpteenth time, I love it soo, soo much.

Hannibal etc-love You must be reading up in time for Hannibal Rising! And if you're not, well obviously you should be! Hannibal, both the book and the movie, has to be one of my worst guilty pleasures. Mmm. Classy, intelligent, psychotic cannibal snobbing it up in Florence. etc-love

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! HANNIBAL RISING! SOOOOOOOOO READY FOR YOU! /fangirling. I haven't seen the movie, actually, because someone told me that the ending is waaay wayy different from the book, and that pissed me off cause I loved the ending. I want to be Clarice so bad, and I somehow feel a little strange admitting that.

Okay.

1602 is really good, but it was actually a little easier to read after looking up some of the background on the much older characters that are used. Master of Much That is truly Orgasmic' treatment on the X-Men was pretty wicked, and he used Archangel, who I adore. Although I have to say I didn't overly care for the art. ::shrug::

Last edited by morosemocha (10-31-2006 06:59:37 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#27 | Back to Top10-31-2006 06:58:39 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Lightice="Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett are obviously household names. Alan Moore should be with them, as well."

ALAN MOORE = LOVE. My lovely lovely boyfriend got me interested in Alan Moore. Loved just about everything I've read, except The Watchmen. I love the idea behind it, but I have a hard time getting interested in it. I'll try again soon. Have you read Lost Girls yet? I really want to...

Lightice="I enjoyed Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, both books and movies, but I never managed to like Hannibal. It feels like disgrace of the character, giving Hannibal childhood traumas and he really doesn't feel like the same person, any more"

I liked the aspects of luxery, and I like the broader look into Dr. Lecter's many and varied intrests, but yeah, I'm kinda put off by the parts with the childhood trauma. I think he seems more powerful behind bars then he does on the loose, and in a way I think that's because when he's loose, there's a lower profile to be kept, but when he's behind bars he can show off, and make everyone realize just how much more fucking brilliant then everyone else he is.

...ahhh...yeah, okay.

#28 | Back to Top11-01-2006 04:19:06 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

One of my favourite books has to be Dream of the Red Chamber. You just can't beat a big house full of provocative maids and perverted men. Classic chinese novel that kicks ass. Though i've got to say the beginning of the book weirded me out so much; i mean, a stone and a flower deciding to live on earth to see what love is like?! Its sad that the origional author died half way through the book so someone else had to finish it off. Makes me wonder what the origional ending was supposed to be.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#29 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:40:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

I haven't seen the movie, actually, because someone told me that the ending is waaay wayy different from the book, and that pissed me off cause I loved the ending. I want to be Clarice so bad, and I somehow feel a little strange admitting that.

No no, wanting to be Clarice is perfectly reasonable. But funny you should say that, I personally preferred the ending for the movie, although it is radically different and more disappointing for the characters involved. But...oh...OH so romantic. (What? Dammit it was a romantic story.)

morosemocha wrote:

I liked the aspects of luxery, and I like the broader look into Dr. Lecter's many and varied intrests, but yeah, I'm kinda put off by the parts with the childhood trauma. I think he seems more powerful behind bars then he does on the loose, and in a way I think that's because when he's loose, there's a lower profile to be kept, but when he's behind bars he can show off, and make everyone realize just how much more fucking brilliant then everyone else he is.

I must be particularly used to villain backstories; the childhood trauma didn't bother me in the least. You're right in that he's far more menacing behind bars, but he's such a damned snob on the outside that I can't help but adore him. I mean seriously, the amount of snob here is unholy. He's like Touga except he takes eating people to mean something different.

I'm not sure what to make of the new book, in concept I'm cautious for this very reason; he's not going to be his usual snobby self yet, on the other hand, I'll eat anything Hannibal feeds me on principle. school-chef

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

One of my favourite books has to be Dream of the Red Chamber. You just can't beat a big house full of provocative maids and perverted men. Classic chinese novel that kicks ass. Though i've got to say the beginning of the book weirded me out so much; i mean, a stone and a flower deciding to live on earth to see what love is like?! Its sad that the origional author died half way through the book so someone else had to finish it off. Makes me wonder what the origional ending was supposed to be.

I looked this up and the scale it's written on makes me dizzy. emot-gonk It sounds like a boatload of awesome but how do you keep up with such a massive cast? (I rather like this stone and flower business...)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top11-01-2006 01:54:19 PM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

Well after the first few chapters, which are a bit confusing, you really get into it once the main characters Pao Yu and Lin Dai Yu (Black Jade) come onto the scene. I think in most of the english translations, the chinese names are turned into their english equivalents e.g. Lin Dai Yu translates into Black Jade so it makes it much easier to follow. And in my copy they have a family tree for you to reffer back to.

I think its much better than Romeo and Juliet. Plus I love the chapter where Pao Yu's dad gets pissed off when his maid finds out he's been fooling around with the Cook's wife. But when the maid starts teasing him about it, he gets really turned on and tried it on with her too. etc-wankgirl
Oh for those horny romantic times!

Plus 'Maul' is an amazing book if i haven't already plugged it....oh wait i have. BUT ITS DAMN GOOD.

lol, all the Hannibal films scare me. Anthony Hopkins does a crap Othello by the way, mostly because Othello is meant to be black.

Last edited by Sanguine_Rose (11-01-2006 02:01:13 PM)

#31 | Back to Top11-01-2006 02:11:54 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

Oh for those horny romantic times!

The best kind. Sappy romance pisses me off. emot-mad

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

lol, all the Hannibal films scare me. Anthony Hopkins does a crap Othello by the way, mostly because Othello is meant to be black.

I can't speak for his Othello, though it does seem rather odd to cast him to play a black dude. In fact I've never even heard of this, it sounds kinda absurd. Then again didn't Mel Gibson do Hamlet? I did, however, rather enjoy Titus. Then again, I loved the play and I love Anthony Hopkins so there might be bias here.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#32 | Back to Top11-02-2006 03:08:11 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

Yeah this was an old 80's BBC production of Othello and they even 'tanned up' Anthony Hopkins. This is back when the BBC felt that they could get away with that or something, or that a black person wouldn't do the part of Othello justice. Ah, they're so PC *snort of derision*. Oh yeah and thy had Bob Hoskins playing Iago....yeah...that was a bit weird.

Since Othello is one of my fave Shakespere plays I managed to see the Lawrence Fishburne one and it was AMAZING. He was the best Othello i've ever seen. I like Macbeth too. This is also bias on my part since these are the plays I studied ing english lang/lit in college.

#33 | Back to Top11-05-2006 10:55:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, is my favorite book. It is the only book I know of that can consistently make me cry at several different points.

Some of you have probably seen the movie when you were younger. The cartoon adaptation is excellent. However, it can't compare with the book, which has so much more depth and so much more wit to it.... although, I suppose, for those of you who haven't heard of it, I should probably give a summary.

This is a book about a unicorn; obviously, the last one. She lives in a forest, all alone, and has no contact with the others of her kind. One day she hears some hunters saying that this is the last unicorn's forest there is, and if a unicorn truly lives there, it is the last one on earth. This starts her on a journey to seek the rest of her kind. Along the way, she meets a magician, a harpy, a witch, a dishmaid, a prince, and many others.

I'm intentionally only giving you all the bare bones of this story because there's no way I can compare to the wonderful, slightly purple prose that Beagle uses. For example:

"The Unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonless night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea."

If you like that, you will like this book. It's probably the most amazing book I've ever read-- for the compassion in it, for the wit, for the anachronisms, for the way that these fairytale characters undoubtedly know that they're in a fairytale. It's a somewhat depressing book to read, but in the end, I think that anyone who makes it through the story will find that it's the kind of tale that rings True.

After all... "There are no happy endings, because nothing ever ends."

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#34 | Back to Top11-06-2006 01:47:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, is my favorite book. It is the only book I know of that can consistently make me cry at several different points.

God damn, seconding this. She had to talk me into reading it but man was I glad I did. I didn't get much work done in the office that day and felt so melancholy when I finished it. emot-frown

I should write about my favorite book...hmm. Doesn't strike me as something most people would read though.

#35 | Back to Top11-06-2006 03:06:08 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

I should write about my favorite book...hmm. Doesn't strike me as something most people would read though.

So let's hear it anyway!

I picked up Red Dragon a couple days ago, at one of those amzing little cornor hole in the wall bookstores. I have to say, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like it, certainly, but it's strange to see Dr. Lecter interact with Someone Not Clarice, and he somehow doesn't seem quite as polished or quite as menacing, despite the fact that he really does more damage in this then in Lambs. Although I must say, Dolarhyde was pretty damned awesome. Oh yes.

#36 | Back to Top11-06-2006 05:12:20 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Yasha, I was just coming here to post about The Last Unicorn too.  That's my absolute favorite book...I've gotten it from the library over ten times and some day I plan on buying it. (Which is rare for me, since generally I never buy books.)

It has a simple beauty to it.  A lot of times other times when authors try to be descriptive and deep, they can sometimes get too wordy.  There's nothing wrong with that because I enjoy books like that too, but The Last Unicorn manages to be an easy read, but at the same time has a depth to it that many books rarely lack...at least in my opinion.

I like the movie too, but mostly for the music.  The opening song is gorgeous  I also like "Man's Road."  Another song, "Now That I'm a Woman", would be good, but unfortunately the woman singing doesn't have a very...pleasant voice, to say the least.  emot-rolleyes But I'm getting off topic.

Another favorite of mine is The Picture of Dorian Gray.  There are places where it drags (for instance, there's one chapter where they start talking about gems and it goes on and on. As I was reading I found myself wondering "what's the point of this?"  If there was some sort of deeper meaning to it, it was lost on me.)  But overall, there is enough good in the book to make it one of my favorites.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-06-2006 05:24:49 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#37 | Back to Top11-07-2006 08:55:07 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

I don't have much time to actually pick up a book and read these days, but my wife has been reading to me on our morning and evening commutes (we drive 35 miles each way to work, so depending on traffic, we can have between 45 and 90 minutes of reading time!).  Recent books she's read include:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (we're about halfway through)
The Jazz by Melissa Scott
A Fistful of Sky by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
Dreaming Metal by Melissa Scott

I love Melissa Scott's work because of the details, the political twists and turns, and the fact that most of her lead characters are queer (and it's not a big deal -- they're just queer).

Hoffman's book is a beautifully-written piece of dealing with being a teen outcast, and there's even shoujo-ai in it!  (Weird, twisty shoujo-ai, but it's there!)  I highly recommend A Fistful of Sky to Utena fans.  It's got some quite dark bits as well as insanely funny bits, and boy is the plot twisty!

#38 | Back to Top11-09-2006 12:11:49 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

tohubohu wrote:

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (we're about halfway through)

Oh god, I had such a crush on Sherlock Holmes when I was fourteen. If I'd had any interest, I would have been etc-wankgirl ing all over the place to that man and his gigantic pulsing brain and marvelously restrained and yet crazy habits. How do you like it so far?

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#39 | Back to Top11-09-2006 09:51:24 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Yasha wrote:

Oh god, I had such a crush on Sherlock Holmes when I was fourteen. If I'd had any interest, I would have been etc-wankgirl ing all over the place to that man and his gigantic pulsing brain and marvelously restrained and yet crazy habits. How do you like it so far?

Hehe.  I'm enjoying it, and the wife's enjoying my commentary, e.g, "Um, wait, the trees, they're 200 years older now."

And the slashy-mcslash potential...!  I totally understand the people who write Holmes/Watson now.  I recently found a very nice little story that not only slashed H/W but ALSO Irene Adler/Violet Hunter.  It made me all warm inside, even if I couldn't quite believe the ending. emot-smile

#40 | Back to Top11-09-2006 10:36:05 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

My favourite book that I REALLY LOVE is "The Three Musketeers", and down...(with no preference):

The portait of Dorian Gray
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (I've read it only in english emot-frown )
Harry Potter, almost all.

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#41 | Back to Top11-09-2006 10:46:08 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

Speak, Catalyst, and Prom. All of them were written by Laurie Halse Anderson, and they're very good, in my opinion. :3 I'm not sure about Catalyst and Prom, but I know that Speak is loaded with symbolism. I actually had to identify the symbolism in it in my freshman year. :3

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#42 | Back to Top11-10-2006 06:41:15 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

Sey wrote:

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman (I've read it only in english emot-frown )

I'm hoping to read that soon emot-biggrin

I'm a big fan of sci-fi books so i'm hoping to read more Philip K Dick and the Parrish Plessis series. The Last Unicorn sounds really good. I'm gonna have to get that for christmas.

I don't know if anyone's seen the old Sherlock Holmes TV series with Jeremy Brett in it but it is sooooo funny to see the whole Holmes/Watson queer relationshipo. Plus Mr Brett really camps it up in some parts. It's a scream. emot-tongue

#43 | Back to Top11-10-2006 08:12:11 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Kealdrea wrote:

Speak, Catalyst, and Prom. All of them were written by Laurie Halse Anderson, and they're very good, in my opinion. :3 I'm not sure about Catalyst and Prom, but I know that Speak is loaded with symbolism. I actually had to identify the symbolism in it in my freshman year. :3

I love the symbolism in Speak. I always find the tree symbolism to be rather amusing, since trees are a huge symbol for Miki and Kozue as well. I reread Catalyst a week or two ago, and I was able to find tons of symbolism. I'm sure that there is lots of symbolism in Prom too, but my mind went blank when I reread it the other day. emot-gonk

Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my favorite authors. She's very talented. I wish that we had gotten to decipher Speak in my English class, but I ended up writing about it for a book essay, anyway.

#44 | Back to Top11-16-2006 02:25:03 PM

Vesus
Touga Topper

well, I like many books and authors, I'm a fan of fantasy, I especially liked Michael Ende, just now i'm reeading a collection of short stories "Mirror in the Mirror". also I liked "Les Chants de Maldoror" I don't know the title in english, and my copy is in spanish so i put the name in french, where the original poem is...

Still lurking... Your books will be mine... and your papers... and thesis... and ice cream... school-devil

#45 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:08:08 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

My god... I read too much to have a favorite book.  And I don't tend to read... what self-important people refer to as "literature."  I consider that an artificial division, if there ever was one.

I read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy...and a few things that touch on Horror. 

I love Robert A. Heinlein in SciFi.  Another favorite is Jacqueline Carey for Fantasy.

I'm fond of Hermann Hesse for "literature" and Joseph Campbell for non-fiction.

Currently I'm picking up a lot of Neil Gaiman and I have plans in the immediate future for Kurt Vonnegut, cuz it's so fashionable to read him.  Well, ok, because a lot of smart people I know love him. ;)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#46 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:01:59 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Arthur Nerseian's Suicide Casanova : talk about a guy with issues....he accidentally murdered his wife through some BDSM and now is stalking his ex-lover who used to be a hardcore porn actress.
Other than that minor issue the book is excruciatingly beautiful.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#47 | Back to Top12-05-2006 09:12:06 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Oh, i was amazed by Perfume from Patrick Süskind, a shame that it was also adapted to a movie u_u

By the way, the movie sucks >_> (as ussual)

#48 | Back to Top12-05-2006 09:28:47 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm reading Hesse's "Steppenwolf". This makes me want to read Hesse's oher novels too. Where the hell will I find the time for all that? emot-frown

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#49 | Back to Top12-05-2006 10:10:07 AM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Well at the moment I am re-reading The Devil Wears Prada, for the first time I put it down and never picked up again due to time issues. Some how even though the Editor in Chief is a ball crushing, Satanic, bitch that rules hell; I would love to be her assistant, for she brings power, and who doesn’t want more power?

I did however just finish reading Midnight Mass about . . . Oh God it was back in August! Anyways it was a very different style in Vampire books, for the fact that the Vampires were not sexy pieces of man meat that Rice gave us. They were however blood thirsty rotting corpses, that had over taken the world and completely crushed out the major world powers of the 21st century. It was one of those novels that if done right, would make a really entertaining movie.

Over my month long break I want to try and get my hands on trying to actually finish Interview With the Vampire, for some odd reason I get halfway through and never continue. Though I desperately need to go to a B&N and try and kill off some of the critical books on my list

My Short yet Sweet Books List:

The Marvelous Land of Oz & Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum

(Since reading Wicked I’m trying to re-read the Oz books, unfortunately The Wizard of Oz is about the only book I can find in the series, up until about September when some God like figure released both of these books in a nifty set.)

Dead as a Doornail and Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

(The latest two novels in my favorite vampire series! It is set in rural northern Louisiana, with the lead character, Sookie Stackhouse. She was gifted with the power of telepathy, but was never able to control it, until a Vampire named Bill stepped into her life. And ever since then it has been adventure after adventure.)

Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser

(Eh, since seeing Sofia Coppola’s movie I’ve wanted to read a nice biography on the ill fated Queen, and this is the one the director based the movie off of. So yeah . . .)

The End by Lemony Snicket

(I started to read the series when I was in wee Jr. High, now that it is over I want to know what happens to those damn orphans!)

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#50 | Back to Top12-06-2006 11:47:40 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I promised I would read every book in my dad's collection, when he passed away a few years ago. How better to know someone than to read their books? However,  I like the classics, horror, and contemporary fiction, while he was a mystery/sci-fi buff. I've been reading a lot of things that aren't really my taste... One I love, is Sherlock Holmes, I was so surprised to see him solving crimes through heroin-induced astral projection!?

Now, I'm reading The Two Koreas, when I could not find a proper culture guide, I turned to a history book. It's rather dry, but if you don't know much about the country and you want to learn - it does become interesting. I also have all those Gregory Maguire books lying around, Wicked, Son of a Witch, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, etc... waiting to be read.

I did love the film The Last Unicorn, and it DID always make me cry at the end. Oh I wanted her to continue to love being a unicorn, stupid humans! I did not know it was a book, but guarantee I will be heading to Barnes and Noble later today.

I love 1984 and Animal Farm! Also, the Diary of Anne Frank. Yes, those are the books I will read over and over again through the years.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

Board footer