This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top12-28-2012 06:42:23 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Do I dare to make a topic about the Shadow Girls?

No matter what the Shadow Girls are, I think we can all agree that they always convey the "essence" of the truth - the actual plot fact presented via an allegorical play and/or speech.

Thus, in the following scene in Ep 39:

shadow:  This little tramp just started going out with the man of her dreams.
shadow:  She was the one who kept going "Utena-sama, Utena-sama" all the time.
shadow:  Hey, you got a problem with that?
shadow:  Hey, who was Utena-sama again?
shadow:  What, don't you know?
shadow:  Remember? She's that girl who always dressed like a guy.
shadow:  She got hassled by the teachers all the time.
shadow:  Oh, now I remember. Her!
shadow:  But didn't she get hurt real bad and hospitalized a month or two ago?
shadow:  Huh? Hospitalized? I heard she got betrayed by a friend or a lover or something and switched schools.
shadow:  I heard she got in trouble with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees and expelled.
shadow:  Well, not like it matters.

I am certain that is the exact sentiment at the heart of all the students - all with new current pursuits in life - when they do think back on the disappeared Utena. 

I know there is a prevailing theory about "magical amnesia" due to a shot of ruin Nemuro Hall shown, which leads to Utena's fate being likened to Mikage/Nemuro's.  But let's remember that Mikage is not young in present time, but is a fake/unnatural existence in the school - his youthful appearance and his building's "rebuilt" state can all be attributed to Projector projections. Thus when Akio "pull the plug" on him, it makes sense for his false existence to crumble - the fact that everyone forgets him is just a dramatic storytelling method to empathize how "the young fake Mikage" is no more, and that most in Ohtori don't know/recognize the old age Nemuro who could still exist (likely off campus).  Utena, on the other hand, is an actually young "present time" adolescent - she is current and real.  It makes no sense that she gets erased off the current reality, especially not after a portion of the Swords of Hate crushed the Dueling Arena illusion - what moral-lession/thematic purpose would having the "triumphant" Heroine magically erased by the Villain serve?

Adding the SC "forgetting" speech:
Nanami:  We should all just hurry up and forget all this.
Miki:  I wonder if this is the sort of thing that can be forgotten.
Juri:  Come to think of it...I've forgotten that boy's name.
Miki:  "That boy"?
Juri:  Long ago, when my older sister was still a child, she nearly drowned in a river.
Juri:  On that day, there was a boy who jumped into the river to try to save her.
Nanami:  And?
Juri:  My sister got lucky and was saved by a nearby adult, but...
Juri:  the boy who tried to save my sister and jumped into the river was swept away.
Nanami:  Did he die?
Juri:  I thought my sister was very cold for forgetting his name so quickly...
Juri:  But now that I try to remember, it seems I've forgotten it too.
Nanami:  Hey...
Nanami:  Hey...
Nanami:  Why'd you tell us that now?

The more I think of it, the more unreasonable the "magical amnesia" theory sounds.  Methinks everyone simply put memories of Utena in the backs of their minds as they got busy with dealing with their present situations, which she's no longer a part of: it is human nature (looking forward without glancing back + ficklness) at work here, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (12-28-2012 06:52:41 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#77 | Back to Top12-28-2012 07:20:56 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

^It fits in with the theme of eternity (well, lack of). The "magical amnesia" theory sounds interesting enough (I've read at least one fanfic that played with it), but I agree it's probably more of a simple "life goes on" kind of thing. One day we will all be forgotten.

#78 | Back to Top12-29-2012 05:39:10 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:
The "magical amnesia" theory sounds interesting enough (I've read at least one fanfic that played with it)

Lucky you . . . every post series fic I've ever read used the  Ohtori-induced magical amnesia plot where the cast just magically forget about Utena, Anthy, and the Duels.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#79 | Back to Top12-29-2012 06:00:04 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

...I haven't read that many Utena fic, when I think about it.

#80 | Back to Top12-29-2012 06:01:57 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Lurv wrote:

...I haven't read that many Utena fic, when I think about it.

Off topic: being you're one of my more regular reviewers, I feel so honored!

#81 | Back to Top01-07-2013 09:43:17 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I guess this was an old thread that was kick-started. I think there are too many ideas about exactly who/what the shadow girls are in order for me to pick one, but I am a fan of the bisexual space aliens idea.

A lot of the information they provide tends to be obscure and allegorical. Except, in episode 34 when they were trying to tell Utena about the true nature of Akio and Anthy during that plan. They even shined spotlights on them when talking about the prince and witch.

I don't know, maybe the shadow girls are somewhat out of the reach of Akio's power because they do know much more about what's really going on than any normal student and any council member.

#82 | Back to Top01-08-2013 04:15:32 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

I think part of the appeal with the Shadow Girls is not knowing exactly what they are.

Board footer