This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-17-2006 03:09:50 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Supernatural Experiences...

Now that there's a Broad Spectrum of intelligent people available, I think it's safe to ask the question I ask all of my friends & acquaintances in real life...from my best friend, to the guy who did my tattoo. Which is, has anyone ever experienced or witnessed anything supernatural? Ghosts, psychic visions, miracles, deja vu ...and the like.

I haven't. But I like to hear about them, as it's interesting to imagine there is Something More. Was it Shakespeare who said something like, 'There are greater things on heaven and earth than man knows."
Or something similar?

So feel free to bare and share!!!

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#2 | Back to Top12-17-2006 03:15:08 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Supernatural Experiences...

Well I could squeal and glomp you Frosty, since I've missed you, but I'm going to address your question.

I've had the occasional twinge of something that was going to happen and then did, like the time I put an extra 20 in my wallet because I knew that a friend was going to forget her wallet and have no money to buy lunch, or that I knew who was calling me before I looked at the caller ID...

Then there was the time that I'm pretty sure I was haunted. There was something talking to me, a specific entity that wasn't very keen on me. To this day I don't know if he was real or not but he certainly felt real at the time.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#3 | Back to Top12-17-2006 03:18:50 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horation, then dreamt of in our philosophy."

Deja vu, often. And the occasional dream that comes true. I hate to talk about these things because I look like some little kid with way too much eyeliner, making up stories to get attention. So I don't. But yeah. One of my best friends lives in a super haunted house. His place is freaky deaky. I hate visiting him, every hair on my body just stands straight up, and doesn't relax until I'm a block away. ::shudder::

Last edited by morosemocha (12-17-2006 03:21:55 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top12-17-2006 04:08:16 AM

Teatime
Miki Molester

Yup. Though the thing that most blatantly happens to me is annoying. I'll remember movies that haven't come out yet. Like I'll see an ad for a movie and go "didn't that come out three years ago" because I remember seeing it. Then I realize I can't remember actually going to the theatre, or who I was with. But I can say exactly what happens down to random scenes that wern't in any previews.

As for noticing the "supernatural" I'm not all that good at it. Though I do pick up on things occasionally and can actually do a few small things. I understand the feeling morosemocha, I get that too, like if I mention anything I get grouped as an attention seeking goth kid or as a "pagan". And I don't mean anyone actually religious, if I did then the word would have been capitalized and not in quotes, I mean the kids with too much eyeliner and an over abundance of random symbolic jewelry who think it'd be really cool if they could summon a demon.emot-rolleyes

#5 | Back to Top12-17-2006 04:14:37 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I've never had a specific supernatural experience, but I believe in them. In terms of creepy places I have been, they say Edinburgh (a city I am absolutely in love with and will move to at some stage) is a place where the barriers between this world and others is "thin." And it sure feels like it, I can assure you...perhaps it is the age and the history of the place, but I don't think it is only that. I suppose going twice to a haunted centuries-old graveyard in the middle of the night didn't help, either. I didn't see the MacKenzie poltergeist either time, but that's one creepy set of evidence of something odd.

...oh, wait, I just remembered being bothered about a pharmacy I work at sometimes. I've always thought it odd; it's in a huge old building in the marketplace that is only about half-utilised. I didn't realise there were in fact TWO floors above the shop and an attic; I thought there was just the one where the staff room is. It's like a maze up there, and you can't get to the floor above because it's sealed off. So, being poorly lit and not well-maintained and mostly deserted, it's creepy anyway. But one evening I was alone grabbing my coat while everyone else waited downstairs for me, and I was in the washroom with all my stuff checking out my reflection. I then heard this racket in the cloakroom, and when I peeked in all the coat hangers -- empty -- were shaking like mad. I blinked at it, they stopped, and I figured someone must have dashed upstairs for a forgotten coat. But when I went downstairs, no one had. And about three days later I get told by someone completely different about the headless ghost upstairs in what apparently used to be an upmarket whorehouse.

Dammit. Haven't seen hide nor hair of Beryl since, though. emot-wink

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#6 | Back to Top12-17-2006 04:23:27 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Well I could squeal and glomp you Frosty

I love glomps! emot-keke

Yeah, ShatteredMirror & Morosemocha & Teatime, I think deja vu has my respect the paranormal event which may one day be scientifically proven! You cannot imagine how many people I have asked about their dreams, and once strongly considered focusing my psych studies on dreams, with the intention of focusing that on deja vu. I got sidetracked by art, but then my interest might be revived by talking about these topics. I know that means little to anyone, that I place such heavy emphasis on the credibility of deja vu, but to me it's quite the admission, considering I consider myself generally, a skeptic. I remember a lady telling me about a dream she had of a road, during the curve of which her and her relative wrecked a vehicle (in the dream). Later, in life, she was actually on this road (which she had only seen before in her dream), with the relative and screamed for her brother to stop the car. Lo and behold, the curve was hidden by the night, and there was a pool of water at the end, which they would have flown into.

Also, my aunt had a dream the night before JFK was assasinated. She was about 4 or 5, woke up crying and screaming, "Someone shot Santa Claus." Which, I've heard my relatives debating since that time, that "Santa" would be the equivalent child's picture of what JFK seemed to the American people at the time.

Well, I have ONE story that could be considered slightly supernatural, depending on a number of factors. I'll include it: (note if mention of drugs is IFD, then be warned not to read or I can move it if inappropriate)

When I was a teenager, I was a good kid and followed the rules, not a party type at all. I swore I would never try drugs and end up like some of the examples of users around me. However, I smoked weed with a relative and had a major series of tramatic PANIC ATTACKS, which lasted even months afterward. In my older years, I've sampled a few hard drugs, but none had the strong negative effect of weed. I went completely bonkers, I have never had such a horrible experience, and looking back, I must have been allergic! So yeah, I kept at the smoking for about a week, having the same terrifying experience each time. You could say, each was worse than the time before.

So I stopped. I believe in God, and I felt so guilty. I felt like I betrayed myself, my own concept of myself, and then, betrayed also, God, who I wanted to be good for. My mother was extremely religious, so I was raised with that standard. (I tore it down through teens, and built it up with what is really True For Me as an adult) As embarassing as this sounds, I believe I was pretty crazy for a few months, due to the severe panic attacks brought on by the drug. I can't remember doing much but, lying around, crying, and begging my mother to ask God this, ask that. All these questions I had, I would constantly ask her to ask Him. In the morning, there would be questions. In the afternoon, questions. In the evening, before I slept, probably an hour and a half's worth of conversation about my questions. This continued for several months. One day while we were at church, a lady came up to us after the service and told me, "God's ready for you to go to him now. You don't have to go through your mother. He wants you to talk to him." I was royally pissed at my mom for telling this lady, this stranger, that I had been bothering her with my crazy questions. I might have felt crazy, but I looked normal, and behaved that way in public, so to have my normallacy ripped from me... as a teenager! I was hopping mad.

Except, my mother hadn't spoken to that lady. Oooooooh chilling. (to me)
Well, that's what she told me. I've asked her several times about that occasion, throughout my life, I know her well and she doesn't often lie. She insists, that she had not mentioned my problem to this lady, barely knew her. So, that's pretty interesting.

I've always wanted to visit a Haunted House...real one, not the ones I go to every Halloween. Take a haunted tour, or something. Edinburgh, sounds spectacular. I really *want* to witness something spectacular. Maybe not anymore, as stupid normal mediocre life has become scary enough, but still... one can imagine the thrills if supernatural ever merged with reality.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#7 | Back to Top12-17-2006 05:08:08 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Very well then. emot-biggrin *glomp*

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#8 | Back to Top12-17-2006 09:04:52 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Frosty wrote:

I've always wanted to visit a Haunted House...real one, not the ones I go to every Halloween. Take a haunted tour, or something. Edinburgh, sounds spectacular. I really *want* to witness something spectacular. Maybe not anymore, as stupid normal mediocre life has become scary enough, but still... one can imagine the thrills if supernatural ever merged with reality.

I highly reccommend Eddie -- besides the kirkyard I went to, it has underground closes under the Royal Mile, and also vaults under the south bridge; I haven't been to the vaults yet, but it's something I mean to do next time I am up there. As well as going back up towards Inverness to actually SEE the field at Culloden as well, because that's bound to be a place where one feels something very odd. The only other place I have felt as being very disturbed was -- unsurprisingly -- Dachau. I was on the verge of crying my eyes out as I walked through the gate on my way out...not just because of what I had seen in there, but simply because I could walk out of that place and so many people didn't.

Oh, I just remembered something else that's not really a ghost story, but I was at dinner with my family after my brother and sister graduated university one year, and somehow we got onto the subject of my grandmothers. My mother had told me before that both of them said after I was born, quite independantly of one another, "she's been here before." That night my mother, who'd had a bit much to drink, told me how while she was pregnant she'd had a dream she'd named me Margery, and when she mentioned this to my father's father after I was born and everyone was arguing over my name, he blinked and said: "I had a sister named Margery. She died of tuberculosis in the twenties."

heh heh heh, so the family joke is now that I am the reincarnation of my great-aunt Margery... emot-tongue

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#9 | Back to Top12-17-2006 09:50:33 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Ah, I've always considered a pretty skeptical person, but occasionally I get that feeling of deja vu to the point where I know what's going to happen next because I remember it clearly happening before. The closest I've come to a supernatural experience is really my mom's thing. When my great grandmother died 15 years ago my mom had a dream about her where she told her some things (I can't remember right now what they are) and also said there was a certain amount of money in a drawer nobody ever uses at my grandmother's house. When she checked the drawer it was right down to the penny.

Isn't something I can explain. /me shrugs

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#10 | Back to Top12-17-2006 10:56:18 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Let me preface this by saying that I believe in spirits and whereas I do belive in reincarnation, I also believe that some spirits/souls are blocked from reincarnation until some klind of resolution passes.  I don't know what it is, but it's different for everyone.  I have never been able to see spirits, but I can sense when they are around.  Back in college, I used to take long walks through the town's one desecrated cemetery with my friends that also believed in such things.  Some of them said they could see, some could just sense them like me and some where what we always referred to as tone-deaf.

In the center of this cemetary was an older one or two bedroom house.  I think it was used for stoagre for some of the caretakers' equipment, but it was old and had several repairs to it.  There was always three presences at that house, two that had a maliscious feel to them and one that felt scared.  It was tremendously creepy and I didn't like being anywhere near it.  My friends also said they felt it, so we did some research into old news articles and discovered that two men had rapoed and murdered a young girl in the cemetary year ago. 

I've also had what I always envisioned as a viscious huge black dog (big enough to be ridden by an adult) stalk me in the cemetary.  I could feel it approaching me from behind and every time I turned around, it stopped moving.  I knew where it was located, but again could never see it.  I remember the last time I was at the cemetary (over a year ago - it's in Pennsylvania) I was with one of ym friends.  I'd never told him about this dog spirit thing before.  We're leaving and I felt it approaching quickly, like it was trying to get to me before I left the cemetary, so I stopped, turned around and started at where it was.  My friend also looked where I was looking and went "What is that?" in an incredulous voice.  I asked him to describe it and he desscribed pretty close to what I pictured.  He said he could only see an outline of it and glowing yellow eyes, but he could see more than I could.

I also think a lot of people have something like their own personal little demon/poltergiest from now and then.  That's why things are never where you left them or why the elevator only acts funny when you are in it.

Yeah, I know I'm odd.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#11 | Back to Top12-17-2006 12:14:39 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

This is always fascinating to hear - if nothing else, for psychological reasons.

I've had several experiences that could be described as "syncronicity": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncronicity

#12 | Back to Top12-17-2006 12:54:32 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I'm not a believer in supernatural, as such - the concept feels oxymoronic to me. Then again, I do believe in curious and strange phenomena to exist, both in and outside the human mind, many which we don't yet fully understand.

Like Syna, I've experienced synchronity, every now and then, but for most part I consider it to be caused by my own mind. The number 23 has been haunting me ever since I read the Illuminatus-trilogy, but that's simply because I'm sepcifically noticing it whenever it appears. As pointed out in the book, itself, if we had six fingers, we'd have the Law of Sixes, instead of the Law of Fives. Still it's a bit unnerving whenever that number appears. Now they've even making a movie out of it...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#13 | Back to Top12-18-2006 10:54:45 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Syna wrote:

This is always fascinating to hear - if nothing else, for psychological reasons.

I've had several experiences that could be described as "syncronicity": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncronicity

Read this. I enjoyed it. Catered to my innate scientific sense.

I get deja vu a hell of a lot. I can sense when things are about to happen, like my phone is going to ring. And I get goddamn creepy accurate card readings (Tarot, Clow Cards, whatever). Who knows. I tend to subscribe to a "New Physics" point of view; matter really is "ideas". I'm pretty sure everybody saw What the Bleep Do We Know; it makes all of these ideas pretty accessible.

#14 | Back to Top12-19-2006 04:13:50 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'll swear to whatever you want me to that my bed is haunted. I've been through so many matresses and bed frames (it breaks the boxes in half, twists the frames to hell, moves them around and takes off the sheets from the main matress)

I wake up to the feeling and sound of someone like they're hitting their hand down on the matress close to me but no one's here. emot-gonk I also suddenly smell and hear weird things and can't breathe too. TT__TT Antiques are evil.

Alright, that was weird, but seriously freaky. I'll say something worthwhile.

During the first year of school at my lovely lovely ohtori-tastic college, I had the pleasure of staying in the freaky haunted old dorm building. (it was even on the east side of campus emot-biggrin) Our school is about 125 years old, and I think that bulding was from the early 1900's. Anyway, The nuns who run our school used it for all kinds of things, such as an orphanage and quarantine ward. I was one of the lucky girls who got to stay in the quarantine ward area.

We had scary noises, doors doing things by themselves, items moving around and I SWEAR I've heard voices in there.

Apparently, on the other side of the building a floor down, people have seen a little boy playing ball running around the hallway and rooms at night. I consider myself very lucky to have not seen him as I'm terified of such things.

two floors down from there was the church and everyone who would go in the elevator at night would supposedly have it stop and the doors would open and you could feel something go by.

The bottom floor had noises, shadows, and a chickfila, all terrifying if you ask me.

All the rest of our campus is scary at night, and I don't know what keeps the security guards here. They say its creepy as hell but go on with it. Needless to say I like hiding inside my room above the ballroom that is THE sterotypical ghost hangout with my equally scared roommate.

Apaprently everything in San Antonio is haunted though. I need to move. Someone send me an exorcist for Christmas. etc-love

#15 | Back to Top12-19-2006 04:36:19 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I don't really consider myself to have experienced the supernatural, but I certainly believe in it. Though I don't believe in "ghosts": what I mean by this is, I don't believe in angry dead people who carve "GET OUT" onto your wall. I do, however, believe in spirits. Souls trapped in purgatory, as I like to say. I am a believer that the earth crosses paths into purgatory, and as such, spirits become lost and stranded among us, unable to move on to heaven or hell. Hence the title of "purgatory".

My theatre teacher always tells us about her college days, and how the night guards would tell stories about spirits and the such. One girl had told them that while making her rounds, she could always feel this cold chill following her. The spot where she stood was always room temperature, but it seemed like the hall behind her would always drop a few degrees, no matter how far along she walked. She said that on her first round ever, the other guards told her how the basement was supposedly haunted, and as the girl was making her rounds that night, the hall lights went out and she began back to her station so the next guard could do thier round. Because of how dark it was, she got a little lost. She was getting scared thinking about the basement stories, and she decided to just wait in her friends dorm until morning. She stopped in front of what looked like her friends dorm, and put her hand on the handle. Just then she felt the cold that seemed to follow her on her hand. Her hand was freezing and it scared her to death. She jumped back and her flashlight fell out of her belt thing. She grabbed it and turned it on and looked all around, but she couldnt see anything. She shined it onto the door she was about to open and saw a little sign on the door that read "Basement". WOOOOOOOOOO CREEEEEEEPY. But I think that maybe the spirit was touching her to STOP her from going in the basement. Who knows?

The closest I ever got to experiencing the supernatural is through Deja vu, which I experience often. It mostly get the feeling that something has happened before. I don't really feel it until the middle of doing whatever, but once I do I can see what's going to happen next. It's not terribly scary though. So I don't get much in the way of the paranormal.

However, my best friend in the world lost her father last year, and every so often when I'm walking Jacker [my dog] through the graveyard, I stop to visit with him. I usually just sit against the side of the grave and tell him anything that's happening with Lauren [my friend//his daughter]. But each time I promise him that I'll make sure Lauren stays safe and never feels lonely. Every single time, as I get up, the wind seems to blow, but rather than cooling me, it feels hot. Like a very warm gust of wind. And her father died the week of Christmas, and warm winds don't come in winter, especially not as cold as it is year round here.

Take it as you will.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#16 | Back to Top12-19-2006 04:54:10 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

When I was about middle school age, my family and I lived in a fairly big house.  My mom told me that one night she saw the ghost of a young girl--not just saw, but walked through her.  My mom, calm as anyone can be in such a situation, said to her, "You're welcome to stay, but please leave my children [me and my brother] alone."  The ghost must've kept her word, because I never saw her the three years we lived there.

I've also got a knack for synchronicity.  I'll get the idea that something's going to happen, and it does.  Or perhaps I'll think of someone and someone will mention them, leading me to say way too often, "Oh, I was just thinking about them!"  I'll also get little deja vu tinglings.

EDIT:  Syna so totally beat me to it.

Last edited by mercurynin (12-19-2006 04:58:52 PM)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#17 | Back to Top12-20-2006 02:19:37 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Hinotori wrote:

Isn't something I can explain. /me shrugs

Saying "you can't explain" in relation to your mother & grandmother story, reminds me of the time those similar words came out of my grandfather's mouth.

HE is the ultimate skeptic, only believes what he can see science dictate and projects a superior attitude about his skeptical philosophy. So staunch, when he finally found religion as an elderly man, he went out of his way to find a "Biblically accurate nativity scene". The number of wise men were not mentioned, so they could NOT come as part of the set. In fact, as they probably arrived months after the birth, he would put them out in March. A few other silly little oddities with the nativity, I can't remember, and the FUNNIEST of them all: Baby Jesus has to be removable so that he can be put in the manger on Christmas Eve. Ok whatever. (sorry friends, I'm always long-winded emot-keke)

His story, back before religion, he was in the NAVY, and his job was watching the radar screen. Looking for enemy blips. Whatever sea he was in the middle of, I forget, but he told me his radar screen covered several long (maybe hundreds or less) miles on either side. There were ships on the radar, so he was able to compare the actual ships with... whatever.

So SOMETHING blipped on the screen, traveling at an unheard of rate, almost crossing the screen of however many ungodly long miles, in minutes. It even made a circle around the ship on the screen. I think my grandpa's job was to plot the course of all unidentified objects that appeared on his radar, but before he could get the coordinates, it was gone.

His final analysis: That's what I saw, but I refuse to explain something unexplainable with something even more unexplainable.

#18 | Back to Top12-22-2006 01:47:32 AM

Toulouse
Saionji Slapper

I have always been mildly interested in ghosts and whatnot even though my imagination can get the better of me at times. Despite my overactive imagination I do think I have had some sort of encounters with something. A few years back a few of friends and I purchased a ouija board. Not a Parker Brothers one but one from a friendly wiccan (at least I think she was wiccan) lady who ran one of those trendy new age stores. I wanted it mostly because I found it really pretty. (Here is the link to what the board looks like for anyone who is curious. http://www.mysticcauldron.com/spirit_boards.html it is the Isaac's Legend board )

Later in the evening we played around on the board and had a scribe write down the letters with just a basic black pen so we could keep track of what was being said.  We had the lights off and candles lit mostly for the right mood. It was mostly harmless questions and stuff and nothing too scary really happened.  We finally got bored of talking with the board and put it away.  We turned on the lights and looked at the stuff written down. To our surprise the ink was in different colors. It wasn't just black ink but ranged from blue to red. I thought it was pretty cool and creepy. My friend kept the board at her house but after a few months didn't want to keep it in her room. She claimed at night the planchet would move by itself on it at night so I took it off her hands. 

I have only played with the board a few times. Maybe 4 times since I bought it. I am too big of a coward to play with the board by myself and not many people like ouija boards claiming they are evil for some reason. Nothing so frightening has happened to me yet that I would dub the board evil.  But then I don't go around asking to prove that I am actually talking with something from the other side. All the horror stories from the boards I have heard usually start with that.

I have had other interesting experiences happen to me but nothing really to prove anything. It is hard to explain supernatural events happening to you without coming off as a crazy person or someone wanting attention. I hope that this post didn't come off like that. I just like dabbling around in the paranormal to see if I can actually contact anything...even though it leaves me frightened if I think I do contact something.

Last edited by Toulouse (12-22-2006 01:48:20 AM)

Board footer