This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-27-2009 08:20:43 AM

RadicalSam
Miki Molester
Website

re-watching utena again

this is probably my 3rd time watching the series again, and i just noticed in episode 2, in the courtyard thing of utena and anthy's dorm, theres like a sundial or something with all the astrology signs on it. its fun to see what else i will notice when i rewatch the rest:dance:

#2 | Back to Top02-27-2009 01:33:46 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Re: re-watching utena again

That's one of the reasons I love this series: every time you watch it there's something new! It was only this last time I noticed quite how much water there was in Juri's episodes....and this is my fifth time through at least. I keep having to educate friends by forcing them to watch it. I've only had one person dislike it so far! And I've shown it to at least 20 friends, including one woman over 50. Who loved it, btw.

20 threads dead so far.

#3 | Back to Top02-27-2009 02:14:54 PM

RadicalSam
Miki Molester
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

That's one of the reasons I love this series: every time you watch it there's something new! It was only this last time I noticed quite how much water there was in Juri's episodes....and this is my fifth time through at least. I keep having to educate friends by forcing them to watch it. I've only had one person dislike it so far! And I've shown it to at least 20 friends, including one woman over 50. Who loved it, btw.

i know, and i come on these forums and read more stuff people have picked up and look for them myself. utena just rules emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top02-27-2009 03:56:09 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

I concur whole etc-love tedly. Though there are other stories I like and I enjoy exploring fiction in general, sometimes, when I'm in the heart of an Utena episode, I think I wouldn't mind if ever other story on Earth was destroyed, so long as both the Utena anime and movie stayed alive. emot-tongue

Last edited by Nights1stStar (02-27-2009 03:57:02 PM)

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#5 | Back to Top02-28-2009 07:45:09 AM

RadicalSam
Miki Molester
Website

Nights1stStar wrote:

I concur whole etc-love tedly. Though there are other stories I like and I enjoy exploring fiction in general, sometimes, when I'm in the heart of an Utena episode, I think I wouldn't mind if ever other story on Earth was destroyed, so long as both the Utena anime and movie stayed alive. emot-tongue

i know, right, i would be content if every other story just vanished from the world except for utena

#6 | Back to Top02-28-2009 10:30:21 AM

gsilver
New Student

hollow_rose wrote:

That's one of the reasons I love this series: every time you watch it there's something new! It was only this last time I noticed quite how much water there was in Juri's episodes

Hmm...

In the movie, there was reference to Jury's prince drowning. Were there any allusions to her losing someone that way in the TV series?

A wizard did it.

#7 | Back to Top02-28-2009 12:17:28 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

gsilver wrote:

Hmm...

In the movie, there was reference to Jury's prince drowning. Were there any allusions to her losing someone that way in the TV series?

In the TV series, Jury's older sis almost drowned, except a boy jumped in to save her. Jury's sis survived, but the boy drowned. In the last ep, Juri talks about how both she and her sister eventually forgot the boy's name despite his sacrifice, foreshadowing how everyone in the series would forget about Utena after she vanished from Ohtori.

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#8 | Back to Top02-28-2009 01:22:24 PM

Rose Rust
Juri Jeerer
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

Pray tell, what does the water represent in Juri's episodes?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n231/jazzknh/thAnthyHimemiya.gif

#9 | Back to Top03-01-2009 02:12:47 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Rose Rust wrote:

hollow_rose wrote:

Pray tell, what does the water represent in Juri's episodes?

Well there's a lot of different interpretations: a way to express her feminine side or her emotions, her desire for Shiori, or possibly just her fear of water/drowning. There's a thread on it here with some great analysis by lots of members:
http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=1777

Feel free to add your own thoughts!

20 threads dead so far.

Board footer