This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-05-2006 09:15:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lighthearted darkness

It has long been an open secret that I hate Joseph Conrad's timeless turn-of-that-other-century novel Heart of Darkness. It's not the content, which has potential; in fact, it bears some thematic similarities to Hermann Hesse's book "Demian," which I just finished reading and found most excellent. But the execution is so, so, so bad. It is plodding and tedious, and by the time anything remotely engaging happens the reader has long since lost interest. When a book is this bad, there's only one thing to do.

MST the sucker.

Not the whole sucker, mind you, because it's far too long for that. But enough to properly torture Joel, Tom, and Crow and give the mads a good laugh.

So if you can forgive slapstick humor and a slapdash website, step into the Airlock and let the hurting commence!

http://satyreyes.googlepages.com

Edited with apologies to correct author's name.  I had "James Joyce" for some reason, in spite of the fact that I use Conrad's name like a dozen times within the MST..

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2006 11:13:12 AM)

#2 | Back to Top11-05-2006 07:17:36 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Re: Lighthearted darkness

I had to read this book for an English class in my first year of college.  *whimper*  Along with Catcher in the Rye, which I outright hated, but I digress.

I've only begun reading it, and I approve.  You're more of a Joel fan, I take it?

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#3 | Back to Top11-05-2006 07:46:26 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I am the only person in the entire world who absolutely adores Heart of Darkness, I think.

However, I also adore parodies. Once I get around to rereading the book (I haven't touched it in years, so my memory of it is a bit on the rusty side) I'll be sure to check yours out. emot-tongue

Last edited by Nessy (11-05-2006 07:47:36 PM)

#4 | Back to Top11-06-2006 12:57:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

mercurynin wrote:

I've only begun reading it, and I approve.  You're more of a Joel fan, I take it?

I'm glad you approve so far emot-smile  I hope it keeps your interest.

I'm not sure which I like better of Joel and Mike.  I mean, to some extent you have to love Joel, because he came first.  He created the bots.  He was there for Manos; he was there for Pod People; for The Day the Earth Froze and for Mitchell.  Plus I think his skits are better.  At the same time, I think Mike may play the Everyman role a little better than Joel does.  I call it a toss-up.

Nessy wrote:

I am the only person in the entire world who absolutely adores Heart of Darkness, I think.

However, I also adore parodies. Once I get around to rereading the book (I haven't touched it in years, so my memory of it is a bit on the rusty side) I'll be sure to check yours out. emot-tongue

I forgive you for liking Heart of Darkness emot-wink  I grudgingly admit that there is a reason it is considered classic literature.  As for your other comment, though: You know, don't you, that MSTs are of the format

> Line from the book

Joel: This line sucks.
Bots: Yep.

> Next line

Joel: In fact, this whole book sucks.
Bots: Yep.

...That is, you don't need to reread Heart of Darkness to enjoy the MST, because the text of the book is right in front of you.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-06-2006 12:59:26 AM)

#5 | Back to Top11-07-2006 12:23:48 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Dude, I love it. It's great. Really great. Makes the whole thing more readable.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top11-07-2006 12:31:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Dude, I love it. It's great. Really great. Makes the whole thing more readable.

Yay!  emot-biggrin  I'm so happy to hear that.

Board footer