This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top01-20-2014 11:34:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The Troubleshooting Thread [for computers, etc]

Giovanna wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

My computer is sold as a gaming PC.  Evidently, to support that selling point, Dell ships this model with overclocking enabled on the processor.  This ordinarily doesn't cause trouble, but in conjunction with a dirty interior, it's a recipe for not much good.  So on top of cleaning the interior, the computer guys disabled overclocking.

What what? Excuse me if this is a stupid question, I build all my rigs so I don't run into this often, but is this now par for the course? Companies overclocking their rigs to meet certain specs instead of just making those specs the hardware defaults? (LOL BUT MONEY1!!) It just seems like shitty practice overall, because most users don't know what OC does to the hardware and aren't aware of the precautions added to such rigs. Especially in regards to laptops. You basically have a ticking time bomb on a laptop for how most users use it if you've OCed right out of the box. emot-mad

I wish I knew!  All I know is that the computer guys tell me there's an option in the BIOS called StepUp, which enables overclocking and is set to ON by default.  I wasn't there when they went through the BIOS and I am vaguely afraid of it, so I haven't checked myself, but I trust them.  I have no idea if it's par for the course, or just for this model, or if Dell for some reason enabled it on this particular computer before it left the factory.

I put in my hard time with Dell tech support, which turned out to be three hours and change.  To fix my crash-from-game-to-desktop, we employed such clever technical stratagems as "clearing my browser cache" and "defragmenting the hard drive."  At length we got around to "ideas that might actually work," such as forcing the games to run on my NVIDIA card in case the computer was trying to run them on the Intel HD card, and then manually deleting and doing a clean install of all my graphics drivers.  These aren't things I hadn't tried, but they are things Dell hadn't tried, so they had to be done.  At length my graphics card was pronounced faulty, and here is the good part.  I get to set up an appointment for them to do an on-site installation of a new one.  No sending my lappy off to the depths of the Dell underworld for an indeterminate period of time!

Now we hope that a new card either clearly fixes the problem, or clearly doesn't fix the problem.

#102 | Back to Top01-21-2014 12:12:07 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The techs are usually pretty good. Get the guy to stick around for a stress test using the game, or an even heavier graphics load.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#103 | Back to Top01-21-2014 12:47:37 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Yep, overclocked out of the box is a thing now. In the realm of video cards, for example, this is usually indicated by "OC" in the name of the product.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#104 | Back to Top01-22-2014 04:19:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

And now everything is so awful I just have to laugh.

Dell's techie came today and spent a couple hours swapping out my laptop's presumptively defective motherboard (including graphics cards, I guess) with a brand new motherboard fresh from the factory.  We finally finished, and turned it on, and my (wired) Internet connection didn't work.  The tech started muttering darkly about a misseated Ethernet connector on the motherboard and called the tech techs call when techs need a tech.  By the end of that phone call, my lappy was a brick.  If you press the power button, it will sputter, heat up rapidly, and turn off again.  So now Dell is FedExing me a FedEx box so that I can FedEx them my broke-ass computer so that they can, I guess, repair it.

I have constructed a line graph showing the progression of events, including a trendline to the future.

http://s27.postimg.org/mxev9e5jj/salvamisalvador.jpg

So where does that leave me?  Well, thank God I have let my old Windows XP desktop collect dust instead of giving it to Gio's mother like I said I would, because I kind of need to use the Internet to work, and also to not go (more) crazy.  And hey, silver linings: I had just backed up my data, and I got to make an awesome line graph using the XP version of MS Paint, which is way better than the Windows 7 version.

All my love to you guys.  Thank you for putting up with my whining.  etc-love

#105 | Back to Top01-22-2014 06:40:43 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

That's the hell of it when it comes to computers. If you buy one, yeah, there's a warranty, but it's an astonishing pain in the keister to deal with it. If you build it yourself, you are the service center, so if the problem has you stumped, you're fooked.

I'm not judging, though. I buy Macs and I build PCs. I've been my own warranty support, and I've had the pleasure of forcing Apple to send a tech out to my home four times for the same issue.

Last edited by Nova (01-22-2014 06:41:14 PM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#106 | Back to Top02-03-2014 04:37:42 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Lappy came home from Dell today -- various components replaced -- and the first thing I had to do was spend another hour and a half with tech support figuring out why my mouse, keyboard, video, and audio were stuttering every ten seconds.  (Answer: they shipped it with a badly outdated version of Windows that was causing driver conflicts.)  I haven't figured out yet whether the original problem, which you might recall had to do with gaming, was solved.  I did lose a lot of data for my trouble, though, and it's good that I'm all alone in my apartment so no one has to watch me clutching my head in my hands.  God willing, that is the last you'll hear from me in this thread for a while. 

Moral: Become a billionaire.  And whenever your computer has the slightest problem, buy a new one.

#107 | Back to Top02-03-2014 06:02:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This sounds like quite a saga. I guess one of the nice things about being a massive nerd is there are multiple computers in the house so when one of mine shits out, I just use the others to troubleshoot. Without that option, I guess things feel even more critical. (Which isn't to say computer problems are like the apocalypse in this house, too...)

I'm sorry you're having such trouble, hun! I wish I could just magically warp into Florida and fix it for you. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#108 | Back to Top09-30-2014 08:48:28 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

This is probably the wrong thread for this, but it's the closest thing I've found, so here goes.

Recently, I've been amusing myself by vector-tracing SKU screenshots. It all started when I got the stupidest idea to use my trusty CAD program to do something fun, as we're already chained to each other, probably for life.
The problem with it is that it's not an art software, it's used for technical drawing and mostly operates with straight lines, arches and circles. It also doesn't support tapering lines. The plus side is that, once you get a hang of the 3-point arc tool, you can do pretty much everything with it, plus a few straight lines here and there. Modifying lines, editing and deleting them is also incredibly easy and quick. What you get are speedy, precise traces, with crisp, straight lines, perfect for filling in with colour - as the program itself checks for any unconnected lines.
I found this unsuitable for tracing characters, as it's so precise it appears cold and clinical, especially for an anime like SKU where tapering lines are half the battle. However, it has so far been perfect for architectural elements and backgrounds, albeit the product is (so far, more due to my faulty coloring process than the lineart itself) minimalistic.

So that's the process: I vector it out, export it as a .pdf file of GIGANTIC proportions, open it in PS and fill in the colours as sampled from the original image.
And here is where I need help:
I traced this beauty from the EM Gallery

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Animation_Backgrounds/Chairman_Tower_Inside_Balcony_Closeup/Chairmans_Tower_10.jpg?m=1380863838
filled it in with simple Paint Bucket, and got this
http://s29.postimg.org/9lebvywif/Untitled.png
I tried to replicate the stained-glass effect of the rose, but my settings were kinda crappy so I need to rethink that.

My question is: How do I (using PS or some other program) replicate the sky in the background as faithfully as possible? My knowledge of such things in PS is lacking and the method I use isn't able to replicate the pretty watercolour effect and the subtle transitions, but the image is kind of dull without the night sky. I tried inserting some random SPACE!!! pics, but nothing really does it justice. I would like to eventually print it out as a poster for my room, or at least use it as a phone wallpaper or something, as I absolutely adore that window.

PS Masters, Onegai!!!

#109 | Back to Top07-22-2015 12:57:10 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Not exactly troubleshooting; more like "how do I do this thing?..."

I want to do some very simple, WYSIWYG-level web editing, and I want to do it offline.  I tried ckeditor, but ckeditor requires JavaScript, which doesn't seem to want to run in my browser when I'm offline.  What's a good freeware program for this?  Thank you!  poptart

#110 | Back to Top07-22-2015 06:06:12 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I used libreoffice writer the last time I had to do this.

#111 | Back to Top07-22-2015 06:11:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Thanks a lot!  With any luck, that should be an improvement over doing it in a text editor.  emot-dance

#112 | Back to Top08-31-2015 02:13:26 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

Recently, I am unable to watch videos online, Youtube works fine but everything else (southpark.cc.com for example) - not. I see just a blank space in place where video should be.
I have Shockwave Flash, SilverLight, OpenH264 Video Codec and something called PrimeTime Content Decryption Module, all of them updated. I use AdBlock and anti-virus but I disabled everything and I still can't watch videos.
I've tried to re-install Mozilla, install Opera (miniature of video appeared but when I pressed a "play" button it went into "loading forever" mode) , I have even given Internet Explorer a try and it's still not working at all. 
Do you have any idea what can I do?  emot-gonk
Thanks in advance. etc-love etc-love

#113 | Back to Top09-01-2015 02:53:29 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Very odd! I would actually start with stripping all those programs. Remove Shockwave, the codecs, and everything else. See if you get something from a 'naked' OS, and if not install them one at a time. It sounds like a conflict among the programs you're using to run the videos.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#114 | Back to Top09-01-2015 06:12:14 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Enea wrote:

Recently, I am unable to watch videos online, Youtube works fine but everything else (southpark.cc.com for example) - not. I see just a blank space in place where video should be.
I have Shockwave Flash, SilverLight, OpenH264 Video Codec and something called PrimeTime Content Decryption Module, all of them updated. I use AdBlock and anti-virus but I disabled everything and I still can't watch videos.
I've tried to re-install Mozilla, install Opera (miniature of video appeared but when I pressed a "play" button it went into "loading forever" mode) , I have even given Internet Explorer a try and it's still not working at all. 
Do you have any idea what can I do?  emot-gonk
Thanks in advance. etc-love etc-love

What hardware are you running? What OS? What browser were you using when this happened?

#115 | Back to Top09-01-2015 06:37:20 AM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

You're the best, thank you. etc-love poptart
Gio, you were right - problem was caused by doubled Nvidia 3D Vision plugin, I have no idea why is this connected with playing videos and why is this on my computer but everything is fine now. emot-keke
Be aware of Nvidia plugins. emot-gonk

Board footer