This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-19-2015 07:56:48 PM

staplerman
Wakaba Wrangler

The Least Important Student Council Member

(first thread, omg. the pressure is real. i'm on my second watching of the show so a lot of the 3rd and 4th arcs are a bit hazy for me, plz be gentle)

So I've been lurking a lot on this forum, reading a whole bunch of stuff, going through the essays on the main page, and I've come to a conclusion.

Miki is the Least Important Student Council Member.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm defining the Student Council as Touga, Saionji, Juri, and Miki. I'll be using "least important" to mean "you could remove this character from the show and have little to no effect on the rest of the plot." Obviously all the characters are necessary for the little details into the others' lives, much like the Nanami filler episodes contribute to our understanding of the characters that otherwise wouldn't receive screen time (Saionji's exchange diary! Anthy's control over animals!). But! the filler episodes are still filler. If you remove them, the plot itself won't really change. Seems to me you could remove Miki and, while losing a lot of interesting character-y stuff (e.g. with Juri, Touga, Utena, Nanami, and obviously Kozue), the plot would survive.

Let's start with the most obvious example. You can cut him from the movie and the plot would not be affected at all. The only thing you'd miss is that Shiori/Juri backstory and the early clue that Touga is ~a ghost ooh spooky~. Other than that, he's basically a cameo. I wonder if they forgot he was on the council and only realized it halfway through. "dangit I knew we forgot someone. how can we placate his fans... naked bath-time twincest with razor blades. yes."

Let's look at the series now. Touga's connections with Akio and the way he challenges Utena's character make him probably the most important member in terms of moving the show forward.  Saionji is connected to Touga, and him rejecting Wakaba and then slapping Anthy give Utena the motivation to enter the dueling game in the first place and then "defend" the Rose Bride once they're engaged. Juri gives her sword to Utena to defeat Touga during the 1st arc, but I'm not sure if it was something necessary for her to beat Touga. Miki gets a weirdly disproportionate amount of screen time in the first arc for someone who does nothing. He  chills with Utena and Anthy, even after attempting to defeat the former to possess the latter - I guess Utena's pretty forgiving. If you took him out, would the plot have continued as normal? Can't find a reason to say no (although those filler episodes without him'd be lonely)

He is actually the subject of one of the light novels (the one where Touga *ahem* takes advantage of him) so nope. No clue what goes on in the manga. That Let's Play of the game you guys did where Miki got literally no points and was never heard from again is proof he's not needed; then again, you could do the same to any of the other duelists, so I'm being unfair. (never forget "Kimi Miki" though. what kind of grade school pun is that? no wonder he ditched that game, I'd leave too if someone started making shitty puns about my name. that Chigusa chick is more merciful than the slippery mambo)

We're leaving the SKUniverse and entering fandom. From looking at this site/forum, he definitely appears to be the seitokai people like least. In one "favorite character" thread, Miki was the only seitokai not to occupy someone's top place, although he came in 2nd/3rd for a couple people (curious: Kozue was a top favorite). I wonder why. Not in a "how dare you not adore my favorite character fall to your knees and prostrate yourselves before him you wicked plebes" *cracks whip* sort of way, but genuinely curious.

Looking at these characters' surface sides, what do you see? Touga's a smooth mofo with a mysterious past, Saionji's the bad boy who's sad on the inside, Juri's the badass fencer suffering from angst and... Miki wants to screw his sister but can't cos she won't play the piano? Mmm. He's probably the nicest and least nasty of the Student Council, but that don't mean nuttin' in this series. His immaturity makes him easy to manipulate on both Touga and Anthy's parts, and nobody likes a weakling. He's competing with Utena for the position of Naive Innocent Nice Person and with Mikage for the Resident Smart Guy, and they've both got that on lock, so two of his most prominent features are overshadowed by others who embody them better. He's not the best duelist and lost his Utena duels by getting distracted. He's supposed to be an excellent pianist, but we don't see him play anything besides that garden song. All he's got left is cuteness, and that is nothing in the face of raw sexuality.

I imagine part of the reason Miki doesn't get love the way those three do is because you can have sexual fantasies about those three without getting on an FBI watchlist. Physically, Touga and Saionji are both pretty hot and Juri's got the most "mature" body in the series (that's saying something), whereas Miki's mistaken for a girl most of the time. Even if you think he's cute, it's definitely harder to sexualize him without feeling creepy because he's 13, doesn't appear to have passed puberty yet, and has obvious hangups about sex. Though the others are still underage, I don't think anybody finds anything problematic in fantasizing about them. They certainly don't look their age, but Miki does.

I've found that people who like Kozue tend to dislike Miki. He's viewed as being a jerk to his sister for not living up to his ideals of what a girl should be. He's also terrible because he feels entitled to love by being nice (not sure I agree with either of these). I've seen this on Tumblr more than here, but thought it was worth mentioning. I've also seen him referred to as "too repressed." I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. Perhaps this is the equivalent of the criticism that Juri is too angsty. I've also - legit - seen him referred to as "too nice." ??? Hoping not all of these criticisms came from the same person.

Maybe he just doesn't click with people. His backstory is laid out pretty plainly, unlike Touga or Saionji's, which require more detective work/analysis. More people appear to empathize with Kozue than him in their respective situations, whereas the Juri/Shiori thing's controversial. The implied incest disgusts some people (you can see people denying it and insisting their relationship was totally kosher. probably as kosher as that milkshake they drink, let's be real). He's too nice and (seemingly) innocent to really get anyone's attention (and how can you compete with male characters like Touga and Akio?), but the issues he does have clearly rub some the wrong way (he's cold to his sister/places women on a pedestal/not honest about his true motives). Combined with a seeming lack of importance in the plot, perhaps it shouldn't be a wonder at all that he gets the least amount of attention.

I'd like to head others' responses. Is Miki the LISCM, in or out of universe? If you want to bring Nanami and Ruka into the conversation, go ahead. I felt it wasn't fair since Ruka got all of two episodes to himself and Nanami is an odd case, but it's not like those two aren't popular either.

NOTE: Dear God, I didn't mean for this to get so long. I'm so sorry! *prostrates self before forum gods* I swear this is not an extended "love Miki" post. I do think he's the LISCM. I also think the characters people like or don't like say a lot about them, and it's curious how certain subsections of fandom like certain characters. Akio was not always as popular as he was now, and Saionji is not really popular outside these forums. I think these sort of trends are fascinating.

#2 | Back to Top04-20-2015 11:00:50 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The Least Important Student Council Member

Congratulations on your first thread!  emot-biggrin

You're suggesting that Miki doesn't serve much of a purpose in the show, which made me think carefully about his scenes and what he brings to SKU.  Here are some of the things I came up with.

- Anthy As Mirror.  I think Miki projects his own desires and fears onto Anthy more obviously than any other duelist does.  Every first-arc duelist does it, but Miki connects her directly to his sister, his object of obsession.  That's probably why he's Utena's second challenger: the series wants to waste no time in establishing what Anthy means to the duelists.

- A Shining Thing.  Related to the last point, while all the duelists are in some way seeking to return to their imagined halcyon past, when they believed in things like miracles and eternal friendship, Miki articulates this theme most clearly, because what Miki wants is the most concrete.  He wants to go back to the sunlit garden.  Miki's psychodrama becomes an implicit point of reference for everyone else's.

- Foil For Utena.  Miki spends his first duel episode insisting that Himemiya is a real person and it's wrong to duel for ownership of her.  He wants her to be free!  Sound familiar?  But whether he realizes it or not, Miki doesn't want Anthy to be free, he just wants her to belong to him.  The show is inviting us to ask whether Utena is the same, and the troubling answer at this point in the show is: yeah, kinda!

- Princes Are Douchebags.  I just wrote a thing about this theme of the show.  The way Miki treats Kozue falls squarely into the category of "you think you're doing her a favor, but actually you are being controlling and presumptuous and insulting."  Naturally, this overlaps with the previous point, too.  So Miki develops this theme.

- Sibling Relationships Are Complicated.  By "complicated" I mean "incestuous," of course, but I mean other things too.  Along with Touga-Nanami, the Miki-Kozue pair is used to foreshadow and foil Anthy's and Akio's relationship.  The show wants us to already have been thinking about brother-sister relationships before it introduces Akio, and it gleefully keeps drawing the parallels as it continues.  Kozue and Miki are shown to share a certain codependency -- they're wild animals, they only have each other -- that mirrors how Akio would like Anthy to think of their relationship.  And Kozue says during a certain car ride that you have to get dirty to get what you want, which is Anthy's story in a nutshell.  You can imagine that Anthy said the same line to Dios, many years ago.

- Friend.  One of the quietest, most moving scenes in the show, to my mind, is the one near the end where Juri and Miki and Utena are all batting a shuttlecock around and talking about What Is Love.  This isn't the first scene in the show where Utena and Miki are friendly -- they were interacting happily as early as episode four -- but their relationship has deepened, become more mature.  And that matters because Miki is doing something important that a friend does: giving Utena someone to talk to.  Utena can't talk to Wakaba about Anthy, and she certainly can't talk to Akio.  The show uses Miki and Juri in the badminton scene to create a context where Utena can examine her feelings for Anthy.

And this list is not exhaustive.  I didn't even write up what Miki adds to the show's themes involving innocence and adulthood, or how he contributes to the tone of Student Council meetings (basically he keeps them from being SEELE meetings), or how the fact that he wrote The Sunlit Garden lends weight and meaning to every scene in the show where that song plays.

In spite of all that, I'm not sure I disagree with you that Miki is the least important Student Council member.  emot-biggrin  It's possible that all the others are even more important.  But I don't think that takes away from Miki's own importance.  He's not glamorous, but he does help hold the show together.

#3 | Back to Top04-20-2015 12:24:41 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Satyr has already expressed most of my thoughts on this subject but I'd like to add something more regarding this:

staplerman wrote:

Maybe he just doesn't click with people. His backstory is laid out pretty plainly, unlike Touga or Saionji's, which require more detective work/analysis. More people appear to empathize with Kozue than him in their respective situations, whereas the Juri/Shiori thing's controversial. The implied incest disgusts some people (you can see people denying it and insisting their relationship was totally kosher. probably as kosher as that milkshake they drink, let's be real). He's too nice and (seemingly) innocent to really get anyone's attention (and how can you compete with male characters like Touga and Akio?), but the issues he does have clearly rub some the wrong way (he's cold to his sister/places women on a pedestal/not honest about his true motives). Combined with a seeming lack of importance in the plot, perhaps it shouldn't be a wonder at all that he gets the least amount of attention.

Miki does have his fangirls in universe and while it may surprise you, a lot of girls go through a phase when they are younger when they are much drawn to the feminine looking kind of boy as opposed to the oozing sexuality self-assertive male. Especially in early adolescence such boys are seen as non-threatening and easier to connect to so girls are very drawn to them.

Miki also introduces a theme that becomes pivotal later on and that is unrealiable power of memory and the perspective of the other. Miki's version of the harmony and wonderful innocence of the sunlight garden proved to be very slanted once you see it from Kozue's point of view. Just like Utena's version of her gallant past with the wandering prince turns out to be something very different from what she remembered. And of course Mikage turns out to be the ultimate example of how betraying one's remembrance can be.

It's interesting that while Miki is identified with childish motifs but it is precisely his clinging to a childhood that never even existed that shows that he is more of a grownup than he lets show. Tsuwabuki and Utena cannot wait to grow up because they are both rather childish themselves while Miki seems to retreat into a golden past precisely because he knows all too well the pitfalls of adulthood. Children are not known to consider childhood as a precious time, that tends to be the attitude of adults.

Arguably Miki's distaste for sex, or what could be deemed his 'repressed' side, springs from this as well. Again a comparison with Utena and Tsuwabuki is in order but Miki's interaction with Mikage is perhaps the most revealing. While Miki's turning down Mikage's invitation to join his seminar seems to result from his humility, the scene is framed in such a manner as to resemble a seduction of sorts and that's how Miki takes it. Miki had more reasons to go along with Mikage than Nanami who jumps to the opportunity of joining the seminar but Miki is much more aware that there is danger lurking while Nanami is not.

And this also connects to an important point in the series: the dangers of aiming for purity at all costs.

#4 | Back to Top04-22-2015 11:45:04 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Miki was my favorite character during my first watch of the show. Now everyone is my favorite character. Except Touga because he's an asshole.

But I have special etc-loves for Miki. I agree with the points mentioned above about his importance in the series. I think he's similar to Juri in that, yes, you could cut both of them out and not necessarily affect the plot  (I'm sure Utena could get a sword without Juri's help) however they both serve as important foils to other characters, Miki's sibling relationship, and Juri's FxF relationship.

INTERESTINGLY Miki is a character that almost everyone likes and gets along with. Touga, Nanami, Utena, Juri all have some good scenes with Miki where they reveal a bit more to him than they would have to anyone else. It is partially due to his non-threatening nature. I do this the series would be poorer without him, he provides a 'sane man' aspect (he is much more low key than most characters) while also showing how even an intellectual can get caught up in the dueling game and be played for a fool.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#5 | Back to Top04-24-2015 04:28:30 PM

zevrem
Banned

Nocturnalux wrote:

It's interesting that while Miki is identified with childish motifs but it is precisely his clinging to a childhood that never even existed that shows that he is more of a grownup than he lets show. Tsuwabuki and Utena cannot wait to grow up because they are both rather childish themselves while Miki seems to retreat into a golden past precisely because he knows all too well the pitfalls of adulthood. Children are not known to consider childhood as a precious time, that tends to be the attitude of adults.

When I was 9 years old, while my family and I were driving back from an excursion to a science museum, I remember looking at the back of my dad's head as he drove, and I realized that when I grew up, I wouldn't be able to relax idyllically in the back seat anymore and would have to become the driver. When I got home I just buried my face in the couch cushion and wallowed in depression.

When I was 7 and in 2nd grade, I was given real graded homework for the first time. It was math homework, but it wasn't just math homework, it was math homework where the problems are in sections of a picture you have to color in, and you colored in the sections based on the solution of the problems in the section. So if the answer's 5, you color in blue, and if it's 4, you color in green, etc. I think maybe the guy who thought this up thought it would be fun, but the reality is it made the whole project take 5 times longer than it should have. For a while, this was nothing more than simmering resentment, until one day, I visited a neighbor/classmate's house and saw her mother store some of her graded homework in the garage alongside a pile of the rest of her graded homework. I realized that that was to be the rest of my life, that it was to consist of nothing but an ever-growing pile of sheets of paper with my name on them. This simmering resentment turned in a flash into a spark of horror, and then into dull acceptance.

For a while, I hovered between thinking that these intuitions meant that I was a misfit who couldn't "fit in" and thinking that these intuitions were in fact preternaturally wise. I thank you for directing my opinion toward the latter.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#6 | Back to Top04-26-2015 01:42:07 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Honestly I'd say Saionji is the least important council member.  After he's expelled they get along fine without him and he doesn't do much besides slap Anthy around. (I'm sorry, Saionji my love!)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#7 | Back to Top04-27-2015 02:37:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

staplerman wrote:

Akio was not always as popular as he was now, and Saionji is not really popular outside these forums. I think these sort of trends are fascinating.

:cough: That's totally weird. I can't imagine what could account for their improved press. emot-redface

As far as the workings of the SC, I gotta admit, Saionji's probably the least vital. He doesn't have any real duties that are apparent. In the same way the VP of just about anything doesn't have real power except to replace the President. Which would have been...interesting. Had he not gotten himself kicked out of school, the Black Rose Saga would have had a been of a different color to it, eh? etc-saiowank

As far as the larger storyline, Miki does seem less important than some of the other characters. I'd argue because Miki (and Juri, actually) both have story arcs that can be pretty cleanly severed from the larger one. Touga obviously is central to the larger narrative, but his story is pretty well tied into Saionji's. That said, the narrative works the way it does by having all these different figures reflect different aspects of people, of Utena, and of the challenge of trying to realize dreams. Miki and Juri contribute to that, but I think they kind of do in a vacuum, compared to the other two. Nothing Miki does in a duel or otherwise really hugely changes what Utena does or doesn't do, or does or doesn't think. Saionji, in contrast, is a frequent catalyst for events in the story; his initial role alone earns him some points there, since his opposite-of-Utena outlook on life motivates her to intervene in a setting she otherwise would never have found herself in.

The movie is actually a very good illustration of this. Boiled down to their barest components, Miki and Juri are totally apart from Utena's story, their narratives separate and not really necessary for Utena's aside from providing a duel. Saionji, though his presence is less spread across the movie, ends up having more screen time because really, he's the best way to draw Utena into that first duel.

Saionji's also more central to the story because of his obsession with Anthy. Miki shares an interest there, true, and it's probably the thing that ties him most to the larger story. Juri, however, has no associations with any of the major characters of that same importance. So you could also argue she's less important because of it--they even had to bring in an entirely new character to give her something to do. emot-rolleyes

(I kid. Sort of.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top04-27-2015 09:24:31 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Also, it's sort of amusing that even with this conversation, Nanami ended up only being brought up once, even though being a relatively late addition to the council proper at a good 10 episodes in, with even with her formal introduction being 3 episodes into the series. If you go by introduction rates alone, she sort of trails behind a good chunk of the players, even if Akio, the devil figure himself was first presented in a mysterious shadow in the first recap episode.
She was also almost completely cut off from the musical (with a musical number featuring her being removed for length) and only presented in the movie as a cow in the "wrong tape" segment. Hey, even in the manga, she's only regulated to a cameo!

Even though she was technically the one taking up the role as "acting president" from her big brother Touga for the Black Rose arc, giving her a bit more narrative power, and acting as a balance between Juri and Miki, I can't quite wrap my head around why a good chunk of the tellings of the story tend to snip her role to a mere side note, or even nonexistent?
Maybe it's because of her generally agreed upon status as Anthy's thematic foil, (perhaps also doubling as one for Utena too?) which could have also be done (and have been done) via other's reactions towards her, especially Utena's?
Maybe it's because almost all the episodes to present her had been comedic in tone, bringing the more fanciful/bizarre elements of the show to light?
Maybe it's because six is company, but seven's a crowd?

I might be a little biased to lean towards her being more essential to the story because Nanami's one of my favorite characters in general, but in a conversation like this, it probably would have been brought up anyways.

Board footer