This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-25-2008 08:42:10 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

The Prince and The Whore-- Yikes, not another gender thread!

So, I've rumaged through the SKU treads today, and I haven't seen something quite like this... but if you think it's similar enough to be deleted, go for it.

We've all had thoughts on the gender roles in SKU in relation to feminism-- but I've found some points to be quite the contrary. In the characters of Touga and Kozue I've seen a not-so-subtle impression that the social norm has left on men and women.

Let us begin with Touga. Although the term 'Playboy' is used with many different meanings throughout the series, it's safe to say that among most of the girls, what Touga does isn't so bad. Not only are woman attracted to his confidence and romantic lifestyle, but it seems that the attraction is only amplified by the gaggle of girls wagging their tails for him. Perhaps it is the nature to be competitive, or, as cliche as it sounds, the appeal of something everyone else wants; but regardless of the reason, even though Utena and Wakaba protest to his ways, the average Ohtori female student can't resist how charming Touga is. There are a few scenes in Nanami's Akio Arc episodes where various girls scourn him for fooling around with other girls. One calls him on the phone, shrieking about how he must be with another girl. But within the same timeframe, another girl calls, asking why he never showed up for their date, having cooked dinner herself and waited for him all night long. Even with this obvious gesture of disinterest, she still tells him that she forgives him, and begs him to simply speak to her. Even though this girl had done everything right, going out of her way to suit his needs, she still saddles herself with guilt, as though he blew her off because she has done something wrong. Why? Does she really think so little of herself, or is she simply driven to hold onto whatever piece of him she can get her hands on? Immediately, I think of Nanami's croonies abusing Anthy for "what she did" to Saionji. Although this scene was set up by Nanami, the very image is still one to consider. If one fangirl let Touga go, would a million rush to smack her around? How dare she blame him! Or would they simply look down on how foolish she is? Even if the common factor is a guy, a girl will always search for something she can share, something she can use to fit in with the rest. If she were to shove off blame on him, if she were to act on her own and say that he was wrong, there is very little doubt to me that she would be shunned by the rest of the girls.

Take this shot for example:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/trueutenafan/Utena/Series_ep31_045.jpg
Not a single one of those girls seem to be bothered in the least by the swarm they exist in. They work together to serve Touga, in their own strange way.

Or, a better example, this shot:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/trueutenafan/Utena/Series_ep31_009.jpg
Even though Touga is speaking on the phone with another girl, claiming that she is his one and only, the girl he is already with seems overjoyed. So much so that it makes you wonder if perhaps she feels superior, that she is given this special chance to be alone with Touga. Even though it is short-lived, right now, she is the victor.

All things considered, what Touga does only seems flawed in the eyes of characters like Utena, who have high ideals, or Wakaba, a token example of the Saionji fangirl. The rest of the girls are dying to be with him, to be given their shot at the prize, and they'll put up with as many other women as it takes. He caters to each one individually, and takes time to sugar each one to the best of his ability. In the eyes of most, he is a romantic.

On the flipside of this, we have our "female Touga", Kozue. From her very first appearance, she is painted as sleazy, a girl with very few morals. Her entire Black Rose episode revolves around how her actions have dirtied her, how she has ruined her reputation for Miki. The fandom, while not extremely critical of her, doesn't view her actions in quite the same way as Touga's. She is seen as a whore, and she is identified with terms such as "slutty" or "lose" far more than anything relating to her darker internal conflicts. Although there is a much deeper reasoning behind her actions, she is still made out to be desperate for attention from people other than Miki. Even after the revolution, though her brief moment on screen hints at a much calmer, slightly more reserved Kozue, most of us still imagine that "old habits" die hard, and she will still leave herself available to every man in Ohtori. Being open and daring may be part of her personality, but her sexual encounters were not simply for her own pleasure. Kozue is never seen to have many female friends; she is seen with a girl before her character was really explained well, in episode 5, playing the piano rather sloppily. This is the closest she ever actually appears to having a friend. Later on, two girls approach her at the pool, inquiring about her love life and Miki. Although they aren't rude to her, their tone compared to her own hardly makes it seem as though they are friends. They know of each other, if nothing more. Finally, she is seen with Nanami late at night, if only for a brief moment. She is interupted while listening to Miki play piano. The scene makes it seem as though she is aware of the way she appears to other women.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/trueutenafan/Utena%20Kozue%20Kaoru/Series_ep26_095.jpg
Before Nanami approaches, she looks extremely placid and vaguely sorrowful as Miki plays their melody.

As another approaches, she instantly switches to this:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/trueutenafan/Utena%20Kozue%20Kaoru/Series_ep26_099.jpg
A smug, eager exression, inviting to some while selectively challenging to others. Nanami falls under the spectrum of people she may be offering a daring challenge to. It is certainly not a welcome one, judging by Nanami's reaction. I feel that Kozue anticipated this.

Just like the real world, women naturally reject "bad company". This is generally accpeted by these girls, as they usually state that they get along much better with men anyway. But there's something strange... Kozue isn't seen with very many men, either. In fact, each time she is seen with one, it is to goad Miki on; from her encounter with Touga to her date with Akio, right down to the random boy Kozue shares a short conversation with while Miki stands by. Never is she seen to have a gaggle of boys around her. Although, who can blame them? Even though Touga can hold a flock of fangirls at any given time, the worst one could recieve is a warning of what a playboy he is from a girl who has already been through the system. With Kozue, the boys would be wise to keep their affairs on the sly. There is no reason to brag about fucking the same girl every other guy has. What merit is there in bedding a slut, right? She could have diseases, right? Even though men are generally much quicker to brag about their run-ins, in this particular case, it's understandable why they would not want to mention what happened with Kozue behind closed doors. And for Kozue, this fact is accpeted, but shameful. The entire first half of her Black Rose elevator scene focused on how horrible she is. The speech was self-depreciating, and I had a strong urge to reach out and offer Kozue some comfort. The entire world has looked down upon her actions, and she will never be able to gain a lover who will appreaciate her with the reputation she has earned.

All in all, what Kozue does is seen as shameful and disgusting. To the market she appeals to (men) she is nothing more than an object, and certainly not someone whose attention should be fought for. In the eyes of most, she is nothing more than a whore.

You've seen the pattern, right? The actions of these two characters mirror each other, and certainly neither should be more justifiable. And yet, simply based on the gender roles set by society, they have been blindly set into catagories. Although Touga may sometimes be called a "man-whore" or some other joking expression, he is rarely ever seen in the same light as Kozue. Even without the backstory of the characters or their fans, just think about the way we see the people around us. A male who can handle more than one girl is a Ladies Man, and to other guys, he's a hero. A female who can handle more than one guy is just easy, and to other girls, she's a slut. Even though Touga and Kozue were given a scene following up sex (or maybe just strip poker, who knows?), there has never been an implication of shame on Touga's part, though Kozue is constantly stressed over every different partner she has.

Thoughts, opinions? I've had this idea buzzing for a while, but I can't say that I've covered every base or every interpretation.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#2 | Back to Top03-25-2008 08:55:28 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: The Prince and The Whore-- Yikes, not another gender thread!

Have you considered writing this as an essay for EM's analysis section, dollface? I mean, DAMN. You seem to have made a very colourful representation of Touga and Kozue's behaviours in the series.

You win poptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptart for this. emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#3 | Back to Top03-25-2008 09:16:58 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: The Prince and The Whore-- Yikes, not another gender thread!

I don't really have much to add, I think you covered everything pretty thoroughly. This dichotomy (hypocrisy, actually) is part of why I have so much animus toward the male gender. It's true that women do their part in reinforcing it, but it's hard to blame women for something like this. I mean, if you could choose to either have as many sex partners as you like and be applauded, or be pilloried for sleeping with someone casually, which way would you rather have it?

I've heard quite a few w