This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-08-2012 04:15:15 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

Female Friendships in Japanese Media

I've been watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, playing Persona 4, and rewatching SKU recently. My exposure to anime has been relatively limited (compared to more hardcore fans, at least) and I don't extensively watch American television shows, either. However, one feature about Japanese media that I've noticed is that there is a much larger amount of material that focuses on female protagonists and female friendships than I've seen in American TV. Even Avatar: The Last Airbender, which I consider to be the most progressive American cartoon in terms of gender roles, focuses much more on Katara's relationships with Aang and even Zuko than her friendship with Toph. The one exception I can think of is Pretty Little Liars, which actually portrays deep and close friendships between girls. Unfortunately, the girls seem to spend a lot of time hiding secrets from each other.

My focus, however, is on the wealth of material exploring friendships between girls in anime and manga. They manage to reach levels of depth and complexity that rival or even excel male/female romance in both American and Japanese media. The three examples I'll provide here are ALL of the female friendships of SKU, the friendship between Chie and Yukiko in Persona 4, the sailor scouts of Sailor Moon, and the friendships of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I have rarely come across a heterosexual romance portrayed with the depth of some of these friendships. I find myself drawn to these stories because I treasure my friends and want to protect them. 

So what do you think of the portrayals of female friendships in Japanese media?

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#2 | Back to Top10-09-2012 04:04:55 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Re: Female Friendships in Japanese Media

You might find this relevant to your topic: http://thehathorlegacy.com/why-film-sch … hdel-test/

I really like the way anime portrays female friendship.  I think it's sad that there aren't more friendships like that in Western media.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (10-09-2012 04:16:35 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#3 | Back to Top10-09-2012 07:40:31 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I really liked how they portrayed friendships in Sailor Moon and Puella Madoka Magica.
While I like Avatar: The Last Airbender and I like Katara and Toph's friendship, it is true that they could have developed it more. And let's not even get started on how The Legend of Korra utterly fails at portraying female friendships in favor of a stupid love triangle revolving around a certain douchey firebender. (LOK disappointed me so much because I thought it would be even more progressive than A:TLA because the lead character was a woman, but I think LOK actually takes quite a few steps backward from A:TLA. It feels like they were filling a "quota" by having Korra as the Avatar and that because Korra was the lead protagonist, the show was progressive enough and they didn't even need to bother developing anything else.)

I think that people who make anime in Japan are aware of women and girls and consider them to be a valid audience, which is why we get anime like Sailor Moon and Madoka. But at the same time, they still separate anime/manga into categories based on what gender it's targeting, which can be problematic.

#4 | Back to Top10-10-2012 12:47:41 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

In terms of anime and manga, the influence of the 49ers, or however you want to refer to them, can't be underestimated. That's where you see a real shift to entire stories of women/girls associating with other women/girls, or friendships really being a sustained part of the narrative that way. And that influence, combined with "in drag, falls in love" narratives really gets us the widespread acceptance we see today.

Glenn Danzig drew attention to this, years ago, pointing out that there's no equivalent in American horror or body-thriller to what Go Nagai can do with female friendships. And that's Go Nagai for cry-eye!

Of course, a good portion of it is exploring or using the easier sexual tones of a homosocial story, too, which adds a sexual frisson while also diffusing it (see Candy Boy or Marimite) or comes out of the theory that the more pretty girls the better (see Gunsmith Cats, Sailor Moon, or Tenchi Muyo!) at work, too. This spawns a good deal of male homosocial or homosexual-involving stories in manga and anime as well; the ease of avoiding direct male/female dynamics and expectations. On of the nice things about, say, Evangelion when it first came out, was that adult situations were actually addressed, such as Kaji and Misato walking home drunk one night and having to deal with "where were we?", "what do we do next?", and "aren't I too old for this? And with you?" That level of male/female earnest interaction is rarer in anime than same-sex friendships because, I'd wager, Japan has some very uncomfortable dynamics in male/female relationships that aren't pat. Especially after the relatively recent legal restrictions on homosexuality and homosocial behavior for Japan, versus the longer history of such in other countries/cultures.

Class S, Bluestocking, and the sister suicides weren't that long ago, you know?

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (10-10-2012 12:49:52 AM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top10-10-2012 10:59:18 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I don't think it's solely a trait of shojo anime either. Artists depict loving friendships because when you're a tween that's the most important thing in the world to you. You're too old for toys and too young for boys. I met the Utena to my Anthy when I was a tween and we're still best friends today. I never believed you make your best friends in college. I believe you meet them when you're ten or eleven.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#6 | Back to Top10-10-2012 11:57:25 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

As an Asian spending much of his time in Asia, it seems to me that mainstream North American media simply do not depict emotional intimacy between same sex characters (especially when its m/m), unless one or both of their opposite sex love interest(s) is somehow prominently present in the plot as barrier between the two.  I've always thought this is because the North American writers do not want others to interpret their works as having homosexual tones, as there seems to be this terribly "limiting" North American perception that any "too-close" relationship between any two people must have sexual tones in it.

Most Asian writers, on the other hand, recognize that two people can be emotionally close without their being anything sexual/romantic going on between them - which is the case in real life, both in Asian and in North America.  This is quite peculiar, actually, considering how homosexuality is still largely frowned upon in much of Asia (and is strictly taboo in even today's Japanese society), while NA is supposed to have legislation and groups that uphold the human rights of homosexuals; and yet, the works of mainstream NA writers/artists that squirms around the issues of same-sex platonic closeness actually seem more homophobic to me than the many works of those Asian writers freely showing same sex emotional intimacy while writing for largely homophobic demographics. 

Could it be that a side effect of "supportive gay-consciousness" in society, is that any two same sex people being emotionally close will easily get labeled as being gay even when they are not?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#7 | Back to Top10-10-2012 06:53:06 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Could it be that a side effect of "supportive gay-consciousness" in society, is that any two same sex people being emotionally close will easily get labeled as being gay even when they are not?

That's a good question. Is the lack of close, Bechdel test-passing female friendships a new phenomenon or is it simply that Western media has a gender bias and targets almost everything toward men? After all, there are plenty of buddy male dramas on TV and close male friendship can be seen in the original Sherlock Holmes stories, among others. But friendship between women or girls seems to be depicted more rarely.

It's a good point too that since homosexuality is still taboo in Asia compared to America, same-sex friendships can be shown without the characters being assumed to be gay. I've heard that female romance in Japan is considered a silly thing that girls do and they're expected to grow up and marry a man.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how many male/female friendships I've seen in Japanese media that don't have an element of romance...

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#8 | Back to Top10-10-2012 07:06:07 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Like_Autumn wrote:

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how many male/female friendships I've seen in Japanese media that don't have an element of romance...

Jesse and James from Pokemon?emot-confused

Sorry, I was going to think of a serious example, but then they popped into my mind.

Anyway, as problematic as anime can be, I've often preferred the female characters in anime to the ones in Western media, and most good female-friendships I can think are anime too. Which is funny, all things considering.

#9 | Back to Top10-10-2012 08:03:52 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Like Autumn wrote:
After all, there are plenty of buddy male dramas on TV

The buddy male dramas I've seen on NA TV all seem to

a) play up the humor of the guys being very obviously physically repulsed by each other via joke/prank scenes
b) show members of the buddies all being blatantly, madly in lust with the ever present love interests
c) little to nil soul-searching, vulnerability baring interactions will occur between the male chars just because they're "arrow straight"

In short, there is always some very apparent fear (on the part of the creators) of the male chars being seen as gay in such "buddy male dramas", which all basically preach the message that it'd be gay-seeming for male buddies to get emotionally intimate.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#10 | Back to Top10-11-2012 02:00:18 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

In regards to the limited attention western media gives same sex friendships, my own take is that it hooks into the way society regards sexuality/is over sexualised. If the media is focused towards the 'sexy' angle, then everything around it becomes by definition sexual. Which means that a close friendship is automatically seen in a sexual light. If you look back towards the turn of the century, there was such a thing as a 'romantic friendship' between same sex individuals. This means all the trappings of an intense emotional relationship were there, up to and including poetry, gorgeous letters and sumptuous images, but it didn't automatically imply a sexual relationship to an observer. Now days a person looks back all of the literature of this time and thinks yep, fucking like rabbits, even though the original writers might well have been utterly horrified, shocked and insulted by the is assumption.

I guess Westerners just have sex on the brain...

#11 | Back to Top10-11-2012 02:45:22 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

gorgeousshutin wrote:

a) play up the humor of the guys being very obviously physically repulsed by each other via joke/prank scenes
b) show members of the buddies all being blatantly, madly in lust with the ever present love interests
c) little to nil soul-searching, vulnerability baring interactions will occur between the male chars just because they're "arrow straight"

I don't think I ever appreciated Boston Legal as much as right now. a) and c) are slaughtered mercilessly and b) isn't cutting into them in anyway, it's just everpresent with gusto.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#12 | Back to Top10-11-2012 09:56:17 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Decrescent Daytripper, thanks for reminding me of Boston Legal, and just David E Kelly in general.  Thinking back on Ally Mcbeal, especially in seasons 1 &2 before things went downhill, there were indeed a lot of intimate non-sex friendships displayed between both the male and female characters.  God I miss that show for its story and the great acting shown, and is sad that so many bashed it because the actresses' unhealthy weight loss drew all the bad press.

#13 | Back to Top10-26-2012 07:02:55 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Thinking of that, how did Ally, the sidequel/retelling show, actually play out? Anybody watch that?

#14 | Back to Top10-26-2012 09:48:37 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:
Thinking of that, how did Ally, the sidequel/retelling show, actually play out? Anybody watch that?

If you're talking about the 20 something min retelling version they pushed out sometime around Ally season free, I can tell you that it's a butchered, choppy version of the actual season 1 and 2 eps.

It saddens me even now how the script writing just abruptly went downhill starting season 3, such that no amount of guest star power could save it from its eventual meh-limbo in its final season.

#15 | Back to Top10-26-2012 10:00:00 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I thought they added some new footage too, while they were trimming out all court-related anything.

Like The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfeiffer, I really didn't think it was a real thing at the time, and only later realized, with dread, someone meant you to take it seriously and they actually aired it.

Board footer