This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top01-24-2015 06:57:41 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: New Ikuhara anime!

If the show treats an event like it's supposed to be surprising or a shock, spoilers are probably a good idea. Like, for instance, remember the reveal about Anthy and Akio having sex and how you were either like "I called it" or, like me, "WHAT"? That's the kind of thing that should have spoilers.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#177 | Back to Top01-24-2015 07:38:53 AM

malna
Caretaker

Duly noted, thanks.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#178 | Back to Top01-24-2015 10:02:15 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

AllegroDiRossi wrote:

I rewatched episode one with a friend (it was her first time seeing it), and I caught SO MUCH MORE after seeing episode 3.

Sumika was the previous victim of the Exclusion Ceremony. The Invisible Storm doesn't just seem to be something that happens to people who step outside the status quo, it seems to be a rite where they specifically choose someone and mark them as other. This is important because even though Sumika is dead and technically Kureha isn't in a relationship anymore, she's still become branded as the new evil of the class to be shunned. It feels like there is a NEED to have someone to exclude (by society? or to assure themselves that they are a part of the herd?) If anyone has seen Another, it very much feels like that.

I was reading this and drawing Another parallels halfway through. That's a very interesting point and so far the whole Exclusion Ceremony element is the one element that I'm truly curious about in this series. The characters have yet to at all gain my interest.

Yasha wrote:

If the show treats an event like it's supposed to be surprising or a shock, spoilers are probably a good idea. Like, for instance, remember the reveal about Anthy and Akio having sex and how you were either like "I called it" or, like me, "WHAT"? That's the kind of thing that should have spoilers.

You mean like...Kuma Shock? school-devil

#179 | Back to Top01-24-2015 10:10:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

You mean like...Kuma Shock? school-devil

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#180 | Back to Top01-25-2015 06:26:44 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

There are no spoilers, only Kuma Shocks. school-sherlock

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#181 | Back to Top01-25-2015 07:29:31 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

There are no spoilers, only Kuma Shocks.

After replaying this 10 times I have successfully desensitized myself to it.

emot-rofl

Thank you!

#182 | Back to Top01-26-2015 05:04:07 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

If you want more Kuma Shocks, then here are some episode 4 preview pics: http://www.animate.tv/news/img.php?id=1 … 1&in=1

[SO CUTE I'M DYING emot-gonk]

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#183 | Back to Top01-26-2015 12:53:24 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Oh no, Mirun is adorable. emot-frown I liked him a lot. I think that was the best episode yet.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#184 | Back to Top01-26-2015 02:25:44 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Not sure how spoilery this will be, so just in case...

[I keep noticing that, among the humans, we've seen no sign of males. They seem to exist on the bears' side of the wall, based on the latest episode, but not on the human side. The infuriating thing is that I won't understand the significance of this observation until months after the show ends.]

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#185 | Back to Top01-26-2015 03:52:06 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I'm just gonna put this out there:

Wild guess 1.)
[ Kureha's mother was a Diane Fossey-esque figure, except with bears, and wanted to understand them so she took her daughter and lived among bears. She found an orphaned Ginko and raised her as her own (the already noticed star pendant could have been a gift to Ginko when they had to part ways, presumably because of the wall or societal pressure). Ginko later lived with her own kind, both her and Kureha forgetting about their childhood together, but Ginko felt a need to see Kureha again, drawn to the scent of lilies that remind her of Kureha's mom. Also, mom could have been killed by Kureha's teacher, out of jealousy or for meddling with bears, and the teacher implanted a fear and hatred for bears into Kureha.]

Wild guess 2.)
[Same as above, and has to do with what Flah noticed, but with Kureha and Ginko being actual sisters from  a bear/human union. Which means YKA has incest! With a third party (Lulu)!

BAM!!! Ikuni Combo!!!!
]

That, or I need sleep.

But remember, you read this here first! Provided no one wrote it somewhere already.

#186 | Back to Top01-26-2015 03:56:56 PM

malna
Caretaker

I will possibly get back with coherent thoughts... For now I only have feels. ;c
Beautiful. The best episode yet, and I've enjoyed all of them a plenty.

#187 | Back to Top01-26-2015 03:59:11 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Yessss I called the star necklace. school-devil

Ok seriously Mirun was really cute and I was actually kind of moved by the episode. I felt feels. FEELS.
http://s17.postimg.org/arbjfbycv/10339559_313747168829437_7940538778894490156_n.jpg

I am liking the series more as it goes on. It looks like they've plotted it out nicely and that it's going deep. Deeper. Motto. Yes. etc-saiowank
http://s3.postimg.org/58x7idn6r/Mikage_Tear.jpg

Almost peed myself laughing at this:
http://s17.postimg.org/5qmiwxkfj/lulz.jpg

I was going to screenshot the Nanami-cardboard box but that's just too easy.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#188 | Back to Top01-26-2015 04:10:37 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Here, have it in video form!

#189 | Back to Top01-26-2015 07:22:58 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Episode 4 spoilers galore: [Mirun is not the smartest bear out there, is he. Cute but he got on my nerves after a while. And in the beginning it cracked me up how the Judge!Bear rolling around was so much like M!Akio. I wish they had done that scene with his human form instead, though.]

So far, this has been my favorite episode yet. Gave me a reason to care about some of the characters, at least. I'm still indifferent to Kureha, though.

#190 | Back to Top01-26-2015 10:04:26 PM

Kiseki
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

"Once upon a time, there was a young princess who was very sad..."

https://40.media.tumblr.com/559ab51be6ee27fc93ecf58505e60dc8/tumblr_nit3gkQGAo1qbccqbo2_1280.png

Lulu's definitely more interesting after this episode. I wonder what the Promise Kiss symbolizes? What is the difference between "love" and "kisses?" I'm hungry for the next episode.

http://r14.imgfast.net/users/1412/22/06/04/smiles/2930773878.gifDo you suppose happiness is something close to us, after all?

#191 | Back to Top01-26-2015 10:19:16 PM

Arale
Website

that was sooo touching

lulu and ginko omg...

and nice to get more time with the judgemens too!!!!

im a shadow play girl irl

#192 | Back to Top01-27-2015 01:49:22 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

HonorableShadow wrote:

Here, have it in video form!

You have my undying love. Forever.

Kiseki wrote:

Lulu's definitely more interesting after this episode. I wonder what the Promise Kiss symbolizes? What is the difference between "love" and "kisses?" I'm hungry for the next episode.

My first thought was sexual vs. platonic love? Might be more complicated than that, but that's what popped into my head.

#193 | Back to Top01-27-2015 02:45:23 AM

malna
Caretaker

YamPuff wrote:

Kiseki wrote:

My first thought was sexual vs. platonic love? Might be more complicated than that, but that's what popped into my head.

My first guess is loving vs being loved (in return). So it may well go with your idea, in terms of fulfillment.

As to Lulu, I thought she was amazing from the very first ep!

#194 | Back to Top01-27-2015 09:17:50 AM

AllegroDiRossi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

“i bet you thought this chapter would contain incest, didn’t you?”
— Ikuhara

emot-rofl

Live Life Heroically
~
About Me

#195 | Back to Top01-27-2015 03:31:37 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Okay, so, why did we have the first three episodes?  I mean, stuff happened, and maybe it will be more significant in retrospect, but we basically get:

[1) Sumika's relationship with Kureha and her death.

2) The introduction, non-development, and death (?) of two antagonists.  Aside from their involvement in the "Invisible Storm," I don't see them having that big of an impact on the themes or plot, but man did they get a lot of screen time.

3) A lot of build-up to Lulu and Ginko's possible role as villains, which goes all of fucking nowhere.
]

Right now, the fourth episode is just making me wish all of that could have been done more quickly and elegantly, because the fourth episode is actually good, in a way that I wouldn't say any of Penguindrum was, much less the first three episodes.  The re-used shots are still really noticeable, and not in a particularly good way, but… hey, it feels like there's actual content, I can give it a pass.

So, my thoughts on themes:

[I think it comes down to the phrase, "We loved you from the beginning, and we hated you from the beginning, too."  There was some speculation earlier about "pure" love and whether that differentiates bears and humans, and that's a theory I'm willing to subscribe to.  But I think "pure" love isn't love that's pure from lust, but from hate or resentment.

I think the decision to "not give up on love" is a matter of acknowledging that the love one feels is impure, and mixed with other emotions, but still being willing to believe in it and see it as valuable, rather than devaluing it, seeing it as a way of settling for something less than "real" love.  And that, the idea of finding value in flawed and ambiguous relationships, is an idea that I think is cool as hell.

As to why Kureha's (still?) human, I don't know, maybe her love (and maybe Sumika's?) really was pure, and consisted entirely of positive emotions.
]

And finally:

[Anyone else notice Lulu's bee?

The opening shot (and the memory that Ginko prompts) imply that it's what killed her brother, and given how tied into her own emotions it is, I think that implication places a great deal of responsibility for the death on her: she didn't just send him off to do something dangerous, she was the one who attacked him directly.

However, when it circles someone, it's usually circling just her, but when her brother is close to her, it circles both of them, and it also circles both Lulu and Ginko when Ginko shows up.  I suspect it represents some sort of protective urge, which manifests as hostility to most people (the princes/judges and her attendants in an early scene) who try to get close (physically and emotionally) to Lulu.
]

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#196 | Back to Top01-27-2015 03:52:40 PM

malna
Caretaker

Some of my guesses that I'd love to confront with your thoughts. As I was wondering about the bee flying around between Lulu and Mirun, SKU roses came to mind. Beautiful, fragrant flowers sprout from thorny rosebushes, just like sweet honey is produced by bees that sting. I thought the bee made for a perfect imagery for this sibling relationship, [especially since Mirun was stung exactly as he attempted to get honey for his sister once again.] Perhaps this theme stretches out far beyond these two seeing as we are constantly reminded of "we hated you and we loved you from the very beginning" phrase. In ep 4,[ Lulu said so about her feelings for her brother, perhaps the same love-hate exists between humans and bears on two sides of the barrier. Or maybe the bee represents love itself and love alone, more than capable to sting, hurt and even kill while also bringing sweetness.]

EDIT because kuma shocks!

Last edited by malna (01-27-2015 03:57:24 PM)

#197 | Back to Top01-27-2015 03:54:02 PM

Arale
Website

Well, the first three episodes seemed to be for the viewers to form misconceptions and theories on the roles of the characters, the Invisible Storm, etc. Once Episode 3 firmly established what the storm was, and that Lulu and Ginko are assisting Kureha, we could go into the backstories of characters that were intended to be ambiguous prior. That's how I see it.

im a shadow play girl irl

#198 | Back to Top01-27-2015 04:06:06 PM

Honey Bear
Website

I definitely enjoyed the last chapter a lot more then the previous three, too. Hopefully once things have become slightly more coherent it'll be better on rewatch, since right now they haven't hugely grabbed me.

#199 | Back to Top01-27-2015 05:32:24 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

One thing I thought was kind of interesting was that [the box Mirun was climbing in was labeled "love." And while Lulu was using it as a way to kick him off a cliff to his supposed death, he didn't die and always came back. Maybe the box was actually protecting him from being harmed even though Lulu had harmful intentions? In the end, what killed him was the bee while he was outside the box. ]

I don't know, though. Just tossing some ideas around.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (01-27-2015 05:33:16 PM)

#200 | Back to Top01-28-2015 01:39:11 PM

AllegroDiRossi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

What is the significance of [Mirun being born on the same day that Kumalia rained down on the earth]? Because this is Ikuhara and there is no such thing as a coincidence.

Live Life Heroically
~
About Me

Board footer