This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-06-2008 12:07:35 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Question about artwork.

Can someone explain this picture to me?

I mean I understand what Touga is doing there, but Saionji???emot-confused
Is this picture trying to implore something?

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#2 | Back to Top09-06-2008 12:11:51 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

Re: Question about artwork.

it's shaped like a heart. Why did i never notice that before? emot-aaa

(sorry random) uuh.. well, all three of them are connected in a special way oo; since utena keeps the rosebride and Saionji's possessed by anthy... on the other hand that rivalry to touga who wants utena... *thinks too complicated*

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (İOctavian)

#3 | Back to Top09-06-2008 12:13:57 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

This, my dear, is called fanservice. school-eng101
Lots of official artwork of Utena is like that.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#4 | Back to Top09-06-2008 12:19:55 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

Maarika wrote:

This, my dear, is called fanservice. school-eng101
Lots of official artwork of Utena is like that.

emot-aaa THREESOME OF DOOM!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (İOctavian)

#5 | Back to Top09-06-2008 12:44:26 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Touga x Saionji x Loli-Utena would be the worst fan service EVER. emot-gonk

#6 | Back to Top09-06-2008 02:28:05 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

Fanservice, yes, but I think there's some significance in the fact that this is young Utena and (it looks as though) dresssed in the same stuff she was wearing in the coffin scene.

So, yeah, it does seem to have its symbolic purposes, too, strangely enough. (I never noticed the heart thing before you mentioned it, either. That's awesome. O.o ) Anywho, as panther was saying about a bond - the occurance with young Utena really started Saionji's obsession with eternity. That scene with Utena in the coffin was heavily significant to showing how Touga and Saionji grew apart as friends and really how they viewed one another. Even in their older age this memory of a young girl still keeps them apart from one another. In this case, I think her being there might represent "eternity". Of course, you could analyze it in any number of other ways, too. That's just my ten cents.

Last edited by Kaelyndra (09-06-2008 02:30:42 PM)

#7 | Back to Top09-06-2008 06:26:36 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

....Actually, I'm curious as to why you think Touga's presence makes sense, but not Saionji's. emot-confused I can only associate it with that one scene.

I'm leaning in Kael's direction, they were both there with her coffin thing when she was little, and it probably is what changed both of them into what they are today.

Both Saionji and Touga still talk about it, and it obviously changed them. (Like when Saionji saw Anthy in a coffin and FREAKED.)

And Razara, you're so silly and cute.

#8 | Back to Top09-07-2008 02:43:14 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Well that is older Touga and older Saionji there. You'd think Saionji hardly feels anything other than variations of utter detest towards Utena.

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#9 | Back to Top09-10-2008 08:04:54 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The reason that artwork exists is because the memory of young Utena in her coffin came between Touga and Saionji, preventing them from... uhhh... 'fully exploring' their friendship.

No, honestly, if you look at the text of what I said without the implication, that's what I think.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10 | Back to Top09-10-2008 10:44:33 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

To me, it always seemed like a theory artwork piece emot-keke  A type of brainstorming thing, like alot of artists will do.  Or perhaps it's mocking?  Since, it's so common to see artwork of a girl trapped between two men that way. 

An idea that was scrapped, but the artwork still was made.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#11 | Back to Top09-11-2008 02:36:51 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Well, let's look at the body language. It's rather strange that Saionji is not playing to Utena, he's just looking off into space. His eyes aren't on Utena at all, in fact, he looks rather nostalgic. That's Saionji, alright. From the scene, he wanted her out of the coffin, though he didn't know what that meant (layers upon layers..... argh, Dune!) he wanted to do the princely thing (though by proxy) by telling the adults. His treatment of her is also strange. He's usually cold, gruff, stand-offish. There is perhaps a bit of tenderness.

Touga isn't playing to Utena, either-he's playing to Saionji. He's got his eyes on the prize as usual. He doesn't look thoughtful like Saionji, but he's relaxed, he knows-at least in this picture-what's important: an uninterested girl or the young man who wants to stand beside him as a man?

Utena seems to be almost sleeping... or expecting a kiss, not knowing what it is. She seems to be puckering up for one, anyways...

What is strange is that by the position of her leg, it would seem her body is facing Saionji, her back to Touga. Where she pushes away Touga, she is shown as trying to understand Saionji a bit more later on when they have tea.

...and perhaps the Kashira girls are really aliens.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#12 | Back to Top09-16-2008 08:57:06 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Great explanation by Kaelyndra, I agree.
And also what Yasha said.

I'll push it a bit further and say that their embrace of each other around young-Utena shows that if they can just get past this issue, (crush the memory! crush what it represents! crush the power dynamic!) than we will see them embracing each other, chest to chest (yay!), in a corny heart shape (yay!).

Someone go write a fanfic about that pleassse. emot-biggrin

#13 | Back to Top09-16-2008 12:51:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I always saw it in the terms of it's DVD, it's the final episodes this is cover art for.

Saionji is the first of the Student Council Members Utena duels, and Touga is the last, and together they represent the duels and the series coming to an end, or coming full circle.

Board footer