This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-21-2007 03:46:00 PM

RainbowRoseQueen
Pained Growlithe

Re: Help me help you get the best damn gallery on the internet. POST HERE.

I don't see a difference in the load times. So...I think we should make less pages with more,but smaller thumbnails here. They should be at least large enough so peaple know which picture it is. This stuff isn't my area of expertice so..you know. Btw,I've seen some more pics. Horray!

#27 | Back to Top06-21-2007 04:45:47 PM

Raroy
Saionji Slapper

I don't care really care.  Just the act of doing this is enough.

#28 | Back to Top06-21-2007 05:16:47 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maybe when you hit the gallery button, there should be a feature that allows the choice of how many thumbnails you wanna see at a time.

If someone has already mentioned this then, I will second the motion.

#29 | Back to Top06-21-2007 06:16:32 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

I agree with Tamago, that sounds like a good idea.

Gio, you really are quite amazing to make this gallery. Honestly, really incredible.

#30 | Back to Top06-21-2007 06:26:53 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

My input:

slow load times is fine. I'd rather have less pages to go through. Please, please losless images and no compressions!! I've seen the losless examples and they are fantastic and I want them.  As far as searching, I would search all the obvious terms, but I'd personally find the type of image as a useful search term. Having "torso", "full body" and "face" search options would be cool. Because sometimes I just want to drool over a sexy whole body shot. "Cosplay" search tags would be awesome, too.
Thanks Gio. etc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#31 | Back to Top06-21-2007 06:27:29 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Tamago wrote:

Maybe when you hit the gallery button, there should be a feature that allows the choice of how many thumbnails you wanna see at a time.

If someone has already mentioned this then, I will second the motion.

I agree with this too.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#32 | Back to Top06-21-2007 07:30:23 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

When it comes to the search function, I don't really mind either way. But for those with a seriously slow dialup (26.4 kbps), I think there should be something for us, too. But, then again, there doesn't seem to be anyone else but me. emot-redface

#33 | Back to Top06-21-2007 10:21:57 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It's still good design netiquette to consider those unfortunate souls without high speed. ;)  Though it doesn't seem there are many in this crowd.

I also favor saving clicks whenever possible; that's why I recommend deciding on a default # of thumbnails per page, but allowing someone to 'view all' or 'view 100 per page' if they'd like.  I personally do feel strongly that preview-sized images are good (and shouldn't be larger than 800x600, they do still exist...)--but don't force someone to see the preview first if they want to see the full image.

Again, if this gallery is in PHP, I can probably aid with customizations.  It could be a matter of wading through someone else's code for certain changes... (which does suck, but shouldn't be impossible)

But as for creating a custom search form that will automatically create the boolean string for the search... I don't know what system you're using, but that should be cake.  It should go directly to the results, because anything else is a bit counter-intuitive, I think.  (If there's a search box at the top of the page of results, though, placing that string there so that further changes can be made manually sounds like a good idea.)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#34 | Back to Top06-21-2007 10:28:57 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

1. Load times:  I personally prefer a smaller (both dimension of image and file size) thumbnail, faster loading but maybe more pages.   It is easier to look for a particular image in the long run, since I wouldn't have to wait too long to see if it is the right page where the image is at.  However, I don't imagine it is a big problem for me since I'm on high speed cable too.

My screen resolution is 1024x768, BUT I never full-screen my browser.  My browser width is set at 800px, which means I normally prefer sites that do not give me horizontal scrolling for 800px width viewing area.  However, the width of the gallery page should be able to work for any screen width.  I imagine most stuff can be wrapped and content should be able to automatically adjusted to visitor's screen width.

2. Image Quality:  Any way you want to do this is fine with me.  I'm willing to download huge images emot-smile  If I browse the thumbnail and I like any image, I would want it as big as possible anyway because the main reason I download any image is for graphic works anyway.

3. The Search Function: I dunno....... anything is good.  I suspect I would most likely just go through every single page to look for image though emot-biggrin  I think I usually do it this way for most galleries anyway.

Thanks again for your work emot-keke

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#35 | Back to Top06-22-2007 01:27:06 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I dont know much about codes or anything of that nature but I will help to the best of my ability.

1. I really like how Coppermine galleries work,where they have the thumbnail and you can click on the picture (if you really want a larger size) and use the arrows to move through the images.
2. I like the image quality of the images they are great to work with in editing and whatnot, if I don't feel like dloading the full image I always just use a screenshot of it anyway.
3. Not too sure of a search engine, I mean if you're using tags like "Anthy" or "Groupshot" but as someone was saying that could twerked and be "Anshi" and other variants. Possibly having all the images grouped like all Anthy pictures one section and so on .

not sure if it helped, but wanted to help out as much as I could emot-biggrin

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#36 | Back to Top06-22-2007 05:55:04 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Just some random thoughts from me. emot-smile

1. I'm on 1024x768 and would prefer a larger (= say, not less than 50) number of thumbnails per page. It annoys me when I have to click around all the time. Perhaps the user could also be able to choose the number of thumbnails per page (like how on some forums you can choose the number of shown posts in a thread), but I realize that's even more coding.

2. You mean something like this? I think it's a great system. That way, after clicking a thumbnail you get a large image which is good enough for some things (and especially for those who don't want to waste bandwidth or are on a slow connection), and if you want an even larger one it's just a click away. Sometimes the thumbnail is small and you can't really see if what you're looking for is really in there, so it'd be a pain to click on it and waste 2MBs just to see that's not it.

3. As for searches, outfits might be tagged... e.g. Anthy in her gown, uniform or pink outfit. That's a lot of work though. Panned shots, definitely. Single and group shots. And maybe these two types, head and full body (the latter of which would work for cosplay purposes too).

#37 | Back to Top06-22-2007 06:23:27 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

But as for creating a custom search form that will automatically create the boolean string for the search... I don't know what system you're using, but that should be cake.  It should go directly to the results, because anything else is a bit counter-intuitive, I think.  (If there's a search box at the top of the page of results, though, placing that string there so that further changes can be made manually sounds like a good idea.)

I'd really like to do this, and I'm going to poke around today and see if I can see how. At the very least, I've looked at the EasyBBC code and I should definitely be able to have a search page where you can click different buttons on the page to add the appropriate code to the search box. Basically the same thing as sticking in the emoticons by clicking, but for the search. This will alleviate the biggest problem I had here, and if it's all I can manage, I'll be satisfied. No matter what I do, the search function will never be quite as shiny and pretty as Google or whatever else. You are probably going to have to go to the search page whenever you want to search (without a search box on every page). There are limitations to the software and my ability to code it, I'm afraid. While it does have the search feature, it's pretty new and not feature-heavy, so I'm having to beat it into submission as it is.  This weekend I'll start figuring out how to code this, since my success will dictate the keywords I use.

Concerning customizing the number of thumbnails per page, I can't find that feature in the software, but it might be a plugin. I'll look. emot-smile I am, of course, keeping the slowpoke connections in mind. I used to be a miserable Nazi about catering to them, even used to design layouts to be viewable in 640x480! I am going to slightly favor high-speed connections here, almost out of necessity given the gallery's size, but there will be a happy medium, I promise. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#38 | Back to Top06-22-2007 08:37:06 AM

Usagi
Tenjou Tilter

I'm on dialup and if you put too many on one page they won't all load no matter how many times I refresh. 
But then I'm the only one on dialup anymore.

K-9: Insufficient data

The Fourth Doctor: Yea, you never fuc*ing know the answer when it's important!

#39 | Back to Top06-22-2007 09:35:10 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Had an interesting idea for search keywords.

Spoilers.

If the first four or so screencaps in an episode are going to be spoilers for those that see it, tag them as such so people who want the spoilers can search for these images more easily. A lot of people don't like spoilers, and there are a few out there that like to know exactly what's going to happen before they get a real chance to see it.

It's just a thought I had.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#40 | Back to Top06-22-2007 09:46:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Spoilers.

It's my intention to edit the core code to hide the keywords themselves, which are listed under each picture. There are going to be too many per image and they'll take up space I need for fitting thumbnails on the page.

The reason for this is I will use alternate keywords for anything that would be an objective term. Like 'cat' and 'kitten' or 'ring' and 'signet'. Neither are prominent enough to be part of the search menu options, but different people will think to search different terms for the same thing, and it'll get long.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#41 | Back to Top06-22-2007 02:29:58 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Usagi wrote:

But then I'm the only one on dialup anymore.

Not quite. I'm also on dial up. But, I also avoid the gallery like the plague unless I'm on a high-speed computer lab computer.

I'm the sort that will go through the new improved gallery and DL all the pictures onto a disc so I never have to worry about needing a picture while I'm at home, because the gallery is evil on my dial up AS IT IS. So really, my vote doesn't matter.

BIG IMAGES = etc-love. I'm a graphical sort of girl and I'd love huge images of which I can make wallpapers and layouts any way I desire.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#42 | Back to Top06-22-2007 04:28:22 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I'm sure you probably mentioned it in the thread in which you announced this massive undertaking--what gallery system are you using?  As I mentioned, I do some PHP/MySQL programming.  I suck at OOP, because I'm not actually a programmer emot-smile, but I do think it's probable that I can contribute to customizations.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#43 | Back to Top06-23-2007 01:53:01 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

what gallery system are you using?  As I mentioned, I do some PHP/MySQL programming.  I suck at OOP, because I'm not actually a programmer emot-smile, but I do think it's probable that I can contribute to customizations.

Menalto's Gallery 2 emot-smile    Aside from modding the search function, I don't actually plan on doing much in the way of code changes aside from aesthetic stuff. Like the albums are all listed as 'Album: Whatever', and I'll probably root out and delete the 'Album:' part, since it's not necessary. If I do any other pain in the butt customization, I'll remember that. emot-keke

I just throw up a preliminary list of the search parameters that I'm going to make clickable instead of making people write them in:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/Layout.png

I'm figuring that's going to be enough to narrow it down for most people, probably without even using the manual entry except for maybe specific episode numbers. The manual entry will be for very specific stuff, like 'ring', 'cow', 'egg', 'golf (emot-mad)'. Instead of having a whole separate button for, say, Touga and Nanami's house, I figure you all would know that 'Outside School' and 'Touga/Nanami' and 'Indoor' or 'Architecture' will give you pics of their house. If you're searching the movie caps, 'Wakaba' and manually entering '+car' or '+jeep' will get you those. A lot of the parameters for searching the movie caps will be the same, and where they're not, they're pretty straightforward. But I think I'll add 'Dance' to the miscellaneous parameters at the bottom.

Can anyone else think of ones that absolutely should be up there? (BTW, I am going to add a few gag keywords like 'poptart', but I won't say so on the gallery. emot-keke

BTW, for shits and giggles, this is the folder distribution, which will ultimately be how the albums are sorted. They'll probably change slightly, but this is a good idea of what you guys can expect as far as what's up there. emot-smile

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/GalleryLayout.png

#44 | Back to Top06-23-2007 03:21:08 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

...can we have an all purpose other characters one, so if I wanna see like... Miki's dad, Mari, the music teacher or the other teachers and admin, they can all have on page, for all the obscure characters?

and holy crap that's alot of folders. I'm... emotionless. A mix of SQUEEE and terror might almost describe it.

#45 | Back to Top06-23-2007 04:00:41 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Except for the episode cap folders, it's actually a lot fewer than are in the gallery now, since they're sorted by subject, thus avoiding duplicates.

And you're right, an 'other' would be a good idea, although they're all going to be searchable by their proper names as well, or at least as far as you get them. You can sort through the 'other' results or search '+music +teacher', or just browse through the albums to episode 15. emot-keke

#46 | Back to Top06-23-2007 04:43:45 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Except for the episode cap folders, it's actually a lot fewer than are in the gallery now, since they're sorted by subject, thus avoiding duplicates.

And you're right, an 'other' would be a good idea, although they're all going to be searchable by their proper names as well, or at least as far as you get them. You can sort through the 'other' results or search '+music +teacher', or just browse through the albums to episode 15. emot-keke

All I know is that when this new gallery opens, its gonna be eating up loads of bandwidth from all of us eagerly clicking in and sniffing through all the wonderful new piccys. emot-keke etc-love

#47 | Back to Top06-23-2007 07:28:47 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Would Tatsuya earn his own folder too? emot-aaa He's a two episode (or one?) semi-important character like Ruka.

But besides that, I think that about covers all the best tags, for me at least. etc-love More poptart's and etc-love's for Gio! poptartetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#48 | Back to Top06-23-2007 08:18:35 AM

Usagi
Tenjou Tilter

I so want the whole of Akio's car jump. Each and every frame.  Then I could print them all out and flip the pages and watch over and over.

emot-dance

K-9: Insufficient data

The Fourth Doctor: Yea, you never fuc*ing know the answer when it's important!

#49 | Back to Top06-23-2007 07:26:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Usagi wrote:

I so want the whole of Akio's car jump. Each and every frame.  Then I could print them all out and flip the pages and watch over and over.

emot-dance

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/Jump.zip emot-smile

emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance Preliminary testing is very promising for me being able to code this just the way I want to. emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

#50 | Back to Top06-23-2007 10:43:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OR NOT. emot-mad

Who is familiar with Javascript? emot-mad The script for the entering characters doesn't agree with the search script. It seems to hinge on the use of brackets in the name of the textbox, because the moment I put the literal textbox name into the script for the inserting text, the whole thing doesn't work. I'm officially frustrated now. emot-mad

Board footer