This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-09-2007 08:58:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Wakaba... Evil Mastermind?

Rebel Prince wrote:

I think that makes Akio a tease. Ride in my hot car, bathe in the glory of my piercing eyes and sunkissed complexion, but bitch don't touch.

He's truly a creature of pure evil, fit for partnering with the evil mastermind genius that is Wakaba. school-eng101 Just not Wakendo Shinokari. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top04-09-2007 09:10:07 AM

Himemiya's Coffin
Miki Molester
Website

Tamago... I think my brain just broke...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/shuttergirl88/Utena/signature4.jpg

Don't be afraid of this world where we can meet.

#28 | Back to Top04-10-2007 04:11:47 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Various Members of IRG wrote:

SCREAMS OF AGONY CAUSED BY MY WAKENDO PICCY

Heh! Gurochan has nothing on me! BWHAHAHAHAHA! school-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devil

Remember this Boys and Girls, if I ever feel the need for revenge, Sea Urchins coated in heat balm and rammed up the anal passage would be far less painful than what pain I can cause..., WAKENDO is only a sample of my evil.
emot-tongue

Last edited by Tamago (04-10-2007 04:12:14 AM)

#29 | Back to Top04-10-2007 07:12:57 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Wakaba kind of looks like she's thinking about eating that kitten.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#30 | Back to Top04-13-2007 09:22:36 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Wakaba may be Utena's best friend, but she is not healing in the same way Anthy is. Wakaba and the other fan girls have actually trapped Utena in her role as the school tomboy. She is responsible for acting out their fantasies of feisty womanhood so they don't have to do it themselves. It's not all bad being a role model, but they don't really like Utena for herself but for what she symbolizes to them. Anthy surely must see that and understand all too well.

#31 | Back to Top04-13-2007 09:33:47 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

brian wrote:

Wakaba may be Utena's best friend, but she is not healing in the same way Anthy is. Wakaba and the other fan girls have actually trapped Utena in her role as the school tomboy. She is responsible for acting out their fantasies of feisty womanhood so they don't have to do it themselves. It's not all bad being a role model, but they don't really like Utena for herself but for what she symbolizes to them. Anthy surely must see that and understand all too well.

I can see what you mean... But still, I can't find any evidence pointing to what Utena said before she opened the Rose Gate, "Himemiya, you still don't know my happiest days were the days I spent with you."

Last edited by Hiraku (04-13-2007 09:34:01 PM)

#32 | Back to Top04-13-2007 09:50:34 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

That's all shown more clearly in the first manga, but in the series notice that Utena is hardly ever serene with Wakaba in the way she often is with Anthy.

#33 | Back to Top04-16-2007 10:19:42 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Hmm. 

It's arguable that Utena doesn't treat Anthy as a whole person, or as an equal...but she definitely doesn't treat Wakaba as one.  Utena seems to underestimate Wakaba's ability to know her own mind and, by extension, to take care of herself.  We don't see Utena confide in Wakaba.  We definitely don't see Utena ever ask Wakaba about "life" the way she asks Anthy.

Utena and Anthy are always having these conversions in which Utena asks Anthy basically "What's going on?" and Anthy gives her a general, rather vague answer (which we as viewers can tell relates to Anthy personally).  It's as if Utena subconsciously assumes Anthy has a better grasp on what drives people than Utena herself does.

Basically, it seems Utena values Anthy's opinions more than she values Wakaba's.  She tries to "rescue" both of them, and plays the Prince for both of them, that's kind of Utena's nature.  But she certainly gives more of her inner self away in her conversations with Anthy than she does with Wakaba.  As if she's trying to play the role with Wakaba more than with Anthy.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#34 | Back to Top04-16-2007 11:13:19 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Maybe it's because Anthy is, after all, the Rose Bride. She is supposed to play the role of whatever is most suitable for the Victor, in Utena's case - she's supposed to be playing the princess role. Ironically, this is the role she would have wanted to have and yet Utena doesn't really seem to accept Anthy's role because that's what she's offering - a mere act. I doubt Utena was entirely aware of it, but she must have noticed that the Rose Bride thing was not all there was, that Anthy is much more than that underneath it all. That's also why she tried to reach beyond Anthy's Rose Bride facade and while doing so got closer to her. From Anthy's point of view, such a thing should've never happened, she was supposed to be nothing more than the Rose Bride. Note that Utena's own role keeps changing towards the end and thus Anthy doesn't really know how to respond to it, which also makes more way to Utena to reach out for what's under those masks. Maybe Wakaba never really worked for her because she had nothing to "hide" which could have made her a bit , I do believe that Wakaba and Utena were very close, except Utena's and Anthy's relationship went deeper.

And as for what Utena told her in the end: "Himemiya, you still don't know my happiest days were the days I spent with you." It could be explained that Utena had got attatch to Anthy whenever she could see something else than the Rose Bride. You can probably interprete the quote in different ways, it can be that Utena has even deeper/stronger feelings for Anthy than just friendship, or she could think of her as a friend. Except, isn't that something you normally say to someone who you love very much?  Not that anything's normal in SKU...

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#35 | Back to Top05-01-2007 06:15:22 PM

beautifulpanther
Qualified Duellist
Website

oh my god... now that you mention it... *starts to get paranoid*

now I know why i couldn'T stand here from the beginning...
as hilarious as it sounds, it makes sense in a creepy way school-devil

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/NicoRobin1985/wheebanner2.jpg
Bianca   *1989 - +14.09.2007

"A duel against a feather has nothing to do with provocation or letting you look like a fool. Duelling the feather, the essence of all art and truth written down on paper, is a duel against your inner self to find security and cognition" (İOctavian)

#36 | Back to Top12-05-2008 01:50:43 PM

Shinolala2
Forum's Favorite Mommy
Website

seriously she is the evil master mind.
1: she goes with akio on a car ride and you never know what happened, unless you use your imagination.
2: utena, anthy, akio, and wakaba are the only people that can see the shadow girls.
3: you never see wakaba at any of the school dances in the anime, and you see her after the dance in the manga.
4: she is the only one locked in her dorm during the fire in the manga, and utena goes to save her, and she's not there, and magically akio shows up and they jump out the window, and wakaba is climbing out of the same window that utena and akio jumped out of. WTF!!!
5: in the manga wakaba knew who professor nemaru was and the story behind him.

so is she the evil master mind behind all the duels and the evil stuff going on at ohtori. i think so!
emot-aaa

if you have any rgu art request please do ask!
https://www.instagram.com/joyb0mb/

#37 | Back to Top12-06-2008 08:09:16 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

This is the most and best paranoid thread I've ever read.

Don't ever change, IRG.

#38 | Back to Top12-07-2008 09:46:00 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Shinolala2 wrote:

2: utena, anthy, akio, and wakaba are the only people that can see the shadow girls.

Tokiko and the three boys see them too, don't forget.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#39 | Back to Top10-20-2012 07:37:06 PM

Juli_Revolutionary_Bat
Wakaba Wrangler

Mmm i don´t think so, i mean you are right you just said a lot of things with sense but i belive that Wakaba is just a lonly girl thats feel comfortable whit Utena around... The only thing that worries me is that, at the end she forget Utena who was like her best frend, like everyone else emot-confused

Utena: And someday, together we'll-
Anthy: Someday... together?

Someday together we'll shine.

#40 | Back to Top10-21-2012 09:50:27 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

I don't know if I can agree with this whole thing 100%, but I think this makes for an interesting idea for a fic or something (and I'm not really one for fan fiction). It does give serious food-for-thought about the relationship dynamics that aren't entirely shown.

#41 | Back to Top10-21-2012 05:24:19 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

Well, isn't this an interesting theory. I think this is what happens when you become over immersed in SKU, Like when you say a word over and over and it starts to make no sense. An Utena related paranoia caused by extensive mind screw and blunt metaphor trauma. But hey, knowing this show and it's infinite possibilities, why the hell not. It would make a killer crack fic emot-rofl

#42 | Back to Top10-21-2012 05:37:58 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Black, I think there is already a crack fic about Wakaba pwning Akio somewhere in that ancient Utena fanfic archive ran by Alan Harnum.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#43 | Back to Top10-21-2012 06:17:32 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Giovanna wrote:

Rebel Prince wrote:

I think that makes Akio a tease. Ride in my hot car, bathe in the glory of my piercing eyes and sunkissed complexion, but bitch don't touch.

He's truly a creature of pure evil, fit for partnering with the evil mastermind genius that is Wakaba. school-eng101 Just not Wakendo Shinokari. emot-gonk

I think I just found my OTP.

(Oh no, I'm stealing Shutin's shtick)

#44 | Back to Top10-22-2012 08:01:05 AM

Juli_Revolutionary_Bat
Wakaba Wrangler

This ting about Wakaba keeps disturbing me since last week emot-mad
I can´t just accept it Y_Y

Utena: And someday, together we'll-
Anthy: Someday... together?

Someday together we'll shine.

#45 | Back to Top10-26-2012 09:38:02 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'm half inclined to write up an essay arguing for Wakaba's hidden epic evilfull mastermindery. But given that I've already got a half written Tokiko essay moldering for the last three months, I somehow doubt it'll ever come to fruition...

#46 | Back to Top10-26-2012 11:01:49 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

crystalwren wrote:
I'm half inclined to write up an essay arguing for Wakaba's hidden epic evilfull mastermindery. But given that I've already got a half written Tokiko essay moldering for the last three months, I somehow doubt it'll ever come to fruition...

If you are to exchange the word "essay" with "fic", I'd so go into fangasm!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Board footer