This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top02-18-2009 10:16:39 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: S-s-s-s-superstitious!

We always eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Eve for good luck. Also, this is more of a legend than a superstition, but down here they say that sunshowers mean the devil is beating his wife.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#52 | Back to Top02-18-2009 10:26:15 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Whistling is not allowed either.

I know why! When theatre wasn't modern, many props were lifted by people, not machines. Particular type of whistling informed which bags of sand have to fall down etc. No wonder why something bad could happen.

Stormcrow wrote:

And I thought of a few thigs I still do.  I still make wishes on shed eyelashes.  I still get the urge to knock on wood to prevent a jinx when I describe something good that has happened.  And I still keep a photo of my grandfather on my desk and sometimes address him in my thoughts.

In Poland we do something opposite - we knock on wood when we are said that something bad can happen, to scary that thing away.

Last edited by dlaire (02-18-2009 10:31:20 PM)

#53 | Back to Top02-18-2009 11:18:00 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

My roommate from college always used to tell me to make a wish when my necklace clasp was in the front. ??? I'd never heard of this one before!

Also my grandmother always told me if you walk with someone on either side of an object that divides you (like a pillar) you have to say "bread and butter" or you'll have a fight. But then she had lots of odd superstitions. Finding a spider in the house was always good luck, too, although usually not for them because I squish the little bastards. I hate spiders! Or a bird flying into the window meant somebody died. She was full of them!

20 threads dead so far.

#54 | Back to Top02-19-2009 09:49:35 AM

moroschino
Black Rosarian
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

Also my grandmother always told me if you walk with someone on either side of an object that divides you (like a pillar) you have to say "bread and butter" or you'll have a fight.

We do this in my family, too. emot-smile

Green lizards, skinks, and ladybugs are all good luck (ladybugs because they eat aphids, I think). And if you find a lizard as you move garden stuff after cold weather, you must put him somewhere sunny and high, but close to you so he's safe from birds or snakes as he warms up.

Apologize immediately if you break a spider's web.

I don't have any well defined ideas about spiritual protection, but I wear my grandmother's locket when I know I'm going to have to face something difficult.

Funny how the smallest lie
might live a million times.

I Will Steal You Back, Jimmy Eat World

#55 | Back to Top02-19-2009 11:27:07 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

After a grocery run I hate being the person who opens food.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#56 | Back to Top02-20-2009 12:46:25 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Moroschino and hollow_rose that's crazy, my dad told me the same thing sort of.
My dad has passed this onto me, and I'm assuming his dad told him, if you're walking down a street and you're walking with another person and you come across a pole...do not split the pole. Meaning do not let the other person walk one way and you walk the other, you both have to walk the same way. It's crazy, but I do it all the time.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#57 | Back to Top02-20-2009 01:12:35 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

lex wrote:

Moroschino and hollow_rose that's crazy, my dad told me the same thing sort of.
My dad has passed this onto me, and I'm assuming his dad told him, if you're walking down a street and you're walking with another person and you come across a pole...do not split the pole. Meaning do not let the other person walk one way and you walk the other, you both have to walk the same way. It's crazy, but I do it all the time.

I guess its more common than I thought! I think the bread and butter thing is supposed to nullify the bad luck, because butter sticks to bread?? emot-confused I don't entirely get it but I do it anyway! Thanks grandma!

20 threads dead so far.

#58 | Back to Top02-20-2009 01:14:17 PM

lex

that's so weird...my mom always told me it was some midwestern type of thing (my dad is from Missouri) is your grandma from the midwest?

#59 | Back to Top02-20-2009 02:40:27 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Hmm... the odd thing is, I might have some "superstitions" but not even realize it because it's such a regular thing, but I can't think of anything. I try to avoid putting stock in anything not absolutely empirical.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#60 | Back to Top02-21-2009 04:04:53 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

None of what could be called genuine superstitions on my part, but I always pay attention to synchronity, even though I know it's produced by my own brain. I've been haunted by the number 23 for years (long before the movie, which I've never watched, came out). Currently it's the number of my room in the local student housing, and I swear I didn't pick it for myself.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#61 | Back to Top02-22-2009 11:12:18 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

lex wrote:

that's so weird...my mom always told me it was some midwestern type of thing (my dad is from Missouri) is your grandma from the midwest?

No she's from New York state! All of her family is. So weird.....

20 threads dead so far.

#62 | Back to Top02-23-2009 10:32:31 PM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

Not exactly a superstition, but I always wear four bracelets/bangles on my left wrist (except when I have to take them off to wash dishes or something). I think it's partly because I once wrote about a character who always did that to ward off supernatural things that meant him harm, the logic being that the jangling scares them away.

In summer I sleep so my head is on the end of the bed nearest to the windows, while in winter I switch. Partly because in winter our windows are super drafty, and partly because I just do.

I laugh at you people who are scared of mirrors! (I used to be, too, I think.) I always want one large or large-ish mirror in my room. (I'm really kind of vain. emot-dance) But the real reason I like mirrors is that the mirror I currently have is situated in such a way that if I lean over a bit while in bed I can see anyone coming down the hallway, so I have forewarning if anything weird happens up here.

And I always keep my closet door closed, because it's dark and scary and kind of cold at this time of year in there.

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#63 | Back to Top02-24-2009 10:35:02 AM

lex

I keep my closet door closed too...it's pretty scary to have it just open and then the clothes start making all these weird shapes.

hollow_rose I wonder where that whole "bread-and-butter" superstition came from.

Last edited by lex (02-24-2009 10:35:17 AM)

Board footer