This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-03-2007 06:54:09 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

SKU the game... easy enough to make?

ok, so i have been talking with Mai (where ever she got off to) about this for quite awhile. we even recall a previous topic on the matter, although i know not where it went.

there is... an option... for anyone who has the time or skill to make an utena game.

I recently came across something called M.U.G.E.N.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N for more on it.

it is fully customizeable. sound. background. sprites. everything. from what i have seen, there are no tools to make it amature friendly. but i have found tutorials. downloads and tutorials at: http://randomselect.i-xcell.com/

a tournament fighter could be loads of fun, and for the really technical minded (other than me, because that much customization becomes greek:gonk:) could make an openended rpg. the sprites would need to be custom made, but i doubt that is an issue, based off of what i have seen elsewhere in this forum:school:

i am curious to see if anyone has ever played with this software, or if any of the technical minded think they can work it to create an utena game ;)

We all have our own little addictions.

#2 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:06:07 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Re: SKU the game... easy enough to make?

So one day is a long time? Well maybe we made passes at the idea before...
I can't even get past the first steps of map making in the RPG Builder you gave me.
So yeah we're calling the big brains on this... school-eng101

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#3 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:08:02 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Yeah, I've thought about this before too, but I have no experience in working with M.U.G.E.N. or with drawing sprites, so...

I agree that the system would work well, though. You wouldn't need more than seven or so basic characters, and then the Black Rose Duelists would function as or variations of their respective characters (with Mikage=Utena, Kanae=Akio, and Ruka as a third skin for Juri). I guess one could add Chigusa and make it an even eight.

But yeah! I think the more programming and free-time-consuming inclined among us should give this a shot!

#4 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:11:12 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

see, if i wanted to, i could make the sprites. the problem is time. im usally too busy studying or taking care of my kid, that i dont have anything left for a project like this.

on the flip side, if someone else made it, then i could just drop it in a computer and make utena the arcade game etc-loveetc-loveetc-wankdude

#5 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:12:47 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I fully endorse this idea, but I have no fucking clue whether I could even contribute. Not a lot of free time here, not a lot of programming experience emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:34:04 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Join me as a beta-tester then! emot-kekeb

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#7 | Back to Top04-03-2007 07:41:05 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

That's sounds great, but i have no idea either.... i just draw, i can draw sprites 8D if that helps...

#8 | Back to Top04-03-2007 08:14:23 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Epi_lepsia wrote:

That's sounds great, but i have no idea either.... i just draw, i can draw sprites 8D if that helps...

i think that it is a step in the right direction. i hope we have someone on the forum who is familiar with mugen. it will set this project sooo far ahead!

#9 | Back to Top04-03-2007 11:01:05 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

A friend of mine is making a point-and-click game but she's using AGS http://new.bigbluecup.com/ac.shtml It doesn't seem to be very hard to use even if you don't have much experience in things like that. I've never used it myself so I can't say much about it. :/  Also, I've only played the demo of her game so I don't really know what else that software is capable of doing.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#10 | Back to Top04-04-2007 04:02:15 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

point and click would be good for something alittle more rpgsih. or if we wanted to make something similar to myst school-freud
we'll look and see tho ;)

ok, i looked. it looks very good. in fact, i may even tinker with this one first. graphics quality may go down emot-frown
but just the fact that you could do maniac mansion meets utena school-devil

btw, is your friend making an utena game, or just a game in general?

Last edited by guardian_rose (04-04-2007 04:06:59 PM)

#11 | Back to Top04-04-2007 04:36:25 PM

junior
New Student
Website

There's an open source visual novel maker I read about somewhere.  You could do video and audio captures of the Saturn game when running it in an emulator, and, if somebody has a mind for translation, it would be feasible to adapt it to modern PCs as a fan project.

#12 | Back to Top04-04-2007 11:27:54 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

guardian_rose wrote:

btw, is your friend making an utena game, or just a game in general?

If she was making an Utena game then I'm sure you all would have known about it by now. ;D She's making a game called "The Marionette". It seems to be a mystery/psychological type of game. http://themarionette.game-host.org/ Go take a look, the demo is very nicely done. I love the music. etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#13 | Back to Top04-04-2007 11:49:24 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Maarika wrote:

If she was making an Utena game then I'm sure you all would have known about it by now.

I have missed things like that before. ;)
so it wouldnt suprise me if i missed something like a fan project like that. school-eng101

Board footer