This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-02-2015 08:32:09 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

How does the tag system work?

I've noticed your tag changes after every 10 posts. At what point does this stop and you can choose a custom one?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#2 | Back to Top12-02-2015 01:13:15 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: How does the tag system work?

Choose? Hah. You don't get to choose a custom title. You earn it, with blood, sweat, and tears, like one of the great heroes of old. etc-saiowank

#3 | Back to Top12-02-2015 03:46:42 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

And eventually you become a constellation! emot-dance

#4 | Back to Top12-02-2015 04:29:57 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Atropos wrote:

Choose? Hah. You don't get to choose a custom title. You earn it, with blood, sweat, and tears, like one of the great heroes of old. etc-saiowank

You just wanted an excuse to post etc-saiowank didn't you?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#5 | Back to Top12-02-2015 07:01:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

There are tons of normal titles, enough that hopefully you won't get bored, but you get a custom title at the whim of the mods.  Sometimes, as Atropos says, you earn it: onsenmark is Spambane because of outstanding service in filing spam reports, Ragnarok is Caption Captor because he ran away with pretty much every caption contest we ran back in the day, etc.  Other times people just get titles because a mod was in a mood.  (Ask OnlyInThisLight why she is the king of all ducks.)  And there are plenty of longtime members who, for whatever reason, don't have a custom title (yet), and we love them too. etc-love

#6 | Back to Top12-03-2015 08:54:41 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Are Flourishing Verderer and Covert Diarist custom titles?

#7 | Back to Top12-03-2015 10:59:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Nope!  Those are part of a series of titles that are modeled on the titles of SKU episodes (Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly and Nanami-sama Secret Diary, respectively).  There's one for every episode, ending with Someday Shiner, the highest of the normal titles. emot-smile

#8 | Back to Top12-03-2015 01:01:38 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Shouldn't the next one logically be "Eschatological Adolescent"?

#9 | Back to Top12-03-2015 01:26:12 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Well, only if you view the movie as a continuation of the series, or it's symbolic culmination.  And that matter's far from a consensus.  I mean, theoretically, we could throw in the titles for the manga volumes, but seeing as the series is much more prominent, it wouldn't make much sense to start with them, and it would be a bit disappointing to go back to fairly simple titles after working one's way through the whole series.

Personally, I think "Someday Shiner" is satisfying end to the progression, from a purely aesthetic consideration.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#10 | Back to Top12-03-2015 01:27:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

That depends on whether you think the movie happened before the show, after the show, or in a different continuity entirely, doesn't it?  emot-wink  I'm in the "different continuity" camp, so if you like, you can think about the parallel universe where IRG has only one title and it's Eschatological Adolescent.  (Plus we already have Eternal Eschatologist. emot-tongue)

ETA: Also, what Kita said. emot-biggrin

Last edited by satyreyes (12-03-2015 01:29:07 PM)

#11 | Back to Top12-03-2015 02:38:08 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

satyreyes wrote:

Nope!  Those are part of a series of titles that are modeled on the titles of SKU episodes (Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly and Nanami-sama Secret Diary, respectively).  There's one for every episode, ending with Someday Shiner, the highest of the normal titles. emot-smile

Interesting. I looked up the episode titles on Wikipedia and the Wakaba one seems to be actually called "Wakaba Flourishing" which personally sounds a lot less sillier than "Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly" emot-tongue

#12 | Back to Top12-03-2015 03:02:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Oh, for sure.  emot-smile  Wakaba Hath Flourished Verdantly is a translation dating back to the fanslations a long time ago.  Both translations have merit.  Wakaba Flourishing sounds a lot more natural -- but that's actually the problem.  If I have my facts straight, the verb "flourish" in the title is 繁る, an archaic way of writing the modern version of the same word, 茂る; it's not a spelling used in modern Japanese.  (If I don't have my facts straight, I know Dallbun or someone else will correct me straightaway. emot-smile)  So the translator, not unreasonably, decided that the thing to do was to translate the title into archaic English.  The more natural solution is also reasonable.  Translation is an art, not a science. emot-smile

Board footer