This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-24-2007 02:31:13 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

Ruka

If Ruka is not the same person from when Juri and Shiori where younger
then who is he?

Though, now thinking of it that way, when Ruka says to shiori "It wasn't my sword" this makes it mean so much more.
But if it's nto his sword, why does he use it in battle?
And how does he know Shiori and Juri?
How does he love Juri if he's not the same person?
How does he know Shiori is her weakness if he's not who they think he is?
...how the hell could they mistake him for that boy? *headache*

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#2 | Back to Top02-24-2007 02:33:25 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Ruka

Err, they didn't mistake him for that boy, I don't think. XD The way he knows Juri is that he was previous fencing captain. Then he became sick and Juri become the new captain. (at least until he was gone)

#3 | Back to Top02-24-2007 06:48:44 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm currently writing an analysis of the Ruka episodes. For the answers to all those questions and more, check the Interpreting Symbolism In SKU thread in a few days.

#4 | Back to Top02-24-2007 06:53:38 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

There are at least two possibilities.
- He knows both of them from way back.
- He was briefed by Akio.
BTW is it possible that the girl he wanted to free was not Juri but Shiori? Juri herself seems unsure.

#5 | Back to Top02-24-2007 06:55:36 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

brian wrote:

There are at least two possibilities.
- He knows both of them from way back.
- He was briefed by Akio.
BTW is it possible that the girl he wanted to free was not Juri but Shiori? Juri herself seems unsure.

No, it was Juri.

When Juri 'loses' against Utena with Ruka as her Bride, he goes up to her and tells her everything will be alright.
Where as he just discarded Shiori and made her the laughing stalk of the school.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#6 | Back to Top02-24-2007 07:40:54 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Suyo wrote:

When Juri 'loses' against Utena with Ruka as her Bride, he goes up to her and tells her everything will be alright.
Where as he just discarded Shiori and made her the laughing stalk of the school.

In the end, he hurt both of them pretty badly. Could there be a reason for this? (Brian gets half a cookie.)

#7 | Back to Top02-25-2007 10:56:16 AM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Suyo wrote:

And how does he know Shiori and Juri?

He was Juri's captain on the fencing team and, since she is the one who took over his position when he left school, he probably trained her.  As for Shiori, she was friends with two of his fencers so he may have encountered in that setting. He may also have learned of her from his own observations if he had an interest in Juri as either a student or potential relationship. 

Suyo wrote:

How does he love Juri if he's not the same person?

A person can have more than one person in love with him or her.

Suyo wrote:

How does he know Shiori is her weakness if he's not who they think he is?

It could be personal observation or insight from Akio. The boy would not know that Juri was in love with Shiori either. Even Shiori didn't know until the Black Rose arc.

Suyo wrote:

...how the hell could they mistake him for that boy? *headache*

They don't. Juri knows that he is the fencing captain and gives up her position. Shiori knew he was a cool guy in school and he was paying attention to her. She wants to be special and how better to achieve that then by dating a popular guy?

Ruka actually appears in the manga and Shiori and the Name-less Wonder do not. Perhaps they gave Name-less a forelock to visually connect him to Ruka, since Ruka takes his place in the love triangle later in the series, but in a very different way.

#8 | Back to Top02-25-2007 11:05:55 AM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

So the boy and Ruka have absolutely nothing to do with eachother?
=_______=

Then what was the point of no-name being there? emot-frown

#9 | Back to Top02-25-2007 12:01:11 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Suyo wrote:

Then what was the point of no-name being there? emot-frown

Because his relationship with Juri is completely different from Ruka's. They could have been melded into one character, but that would have coloured the relationship between Ruka and Shiori very differently.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#10 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:08:25 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I've heard the nameless boy referred to as Ichiro in some fan-circles just to have something to call him other than "the nameless boy." I think giving him a forelock was a mistake because it's led people to confuse him with Ruka - even though he has brown hair and Ruka has blue hair.

I'd say more but the questions have already been addressed. I just feel a connection with him since I got stamped as him in SKU Ratings.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#11 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:16:38 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I've heard the nameless boy referred to as Ichiro in some fan-circles just to have something to call him other than "the nameless boy." I think giving him a forelock was a mistake because it's led people to confuse him with Ruka - even though he has brown hair and Ruka has blue hair.

I'd say more but the questions have already been addressed. I just feel a connection with him since I got stamped as him in SKU Ratings.

Heh, all this time I thought that icon was a sim version of Juri and the nameless boy having sex, too. emot-tongue

#12 | Back to Top03-08-2007 09:19:39 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Ooh, good one!

#13 | Back to Top03-09-2007 05:04:05 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Suyo wrote:

I'd like to point out he was not the one who made Shiori a laughingstock...she did herself. He dumped her, but she made a public spectacle of herself.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#14 | Back to Top03-09-2007 09:23:00 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

YamPuff wrote:

I'd like to point out he was not the one who made Shiori a laughingstock...she did herself. He dumped her, but she made a public spectacle of herself.

Right. While any break up should ideally be handled in private(which it doesn't look like he did), we have no proof that he was shouting it to the world and purposefully drawing attention to it. The only one drawing attention to them was Shiori.

Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top03-09-2007 01:08:13 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Right. While any break up should ideally be handled in private(which it doesn't look like he did), we have no proof that he was shouting it to the world and purposefully drawing attention to it. The only one drawing attention to them was Shiori.

Any prince, or any decent freaking guy for that matter, should have enough respect not to dump someone in front of an entire school. Losing a love is hard, he should know. He lost Juri, right? I don't think that was Shiori's fault at all. Tell me, honestly tell me you've never been dumped and made a scene at home or where ever you were at the time. Could you have really kept yourself together, even in front of the school? If you ask me, having people watching me would make it even harder. The reason Shiori fought for revolution was so no one would pity or look down on her. There's simply no way she would break down and cry in public if she had any control in the matter.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited by dollface (03-09-2007 01:09:05 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#16 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:01:30 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

It's completely possible to keep yourself together being dumped, but for most people it's not likely. He probably picked the location knowing that she wouldn't be able to keep it together and let her make a scene, thus embarassing herself while appearing to be the "smart guy" for breaking it off with the "clingy bitch."

#17 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:16:31 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

You think he broke up with her right then and there in the courtyard? Hmmm... I always assumed that Ruka had broken it off somewhere else and that Shiori had followed him, looked for him later that day, or even a few days later, and made that scene.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#18 | Back to Top03-12-2007 01:44:05 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

morosemocha wrote:

You think he broke up with her right then and there in the courtyard? Hmmm... I always assumed that Ruka had broken it off somewhere else and that Shiori had followed him, looked for him later that day, or even a few days later, and made that scene.

That's what I always thought -- because although I don't deny that Ruka wanted Shiori to make a scene (as this was obviously the best way to get Juri's attention and/or involvement as surely she wouldn't be able to stand by and watch Shiori get hurt...when Ruka was probably fairly positive Shiori would rebuff any overtures of understanding/friendship on Juri's part at this stage) I suspect he dumped her earlier with the full expectation she'd try to win him back over at a time that would turn it into a spectacle. Personally, I always thought it was a matter of him perhaps dumping her the night before, and then when they came into school the next morning she tried to act like everything was as normal -- i.e. the pair of them coming into school together as they had been shown doing earlier -- and when he quietly rebuffed her, she went hysterical. I don't think it was exactly on purpose on her part, either...I agree that she went overboard. But I do think some part of her was semiu-consciously aware of what she was doing and believed that Ruka wouldn't let it get that far in public, i.e. she hoped he'd cave rather than allow her to make a scene.

But of course that is what he wanted.

...ah, manipulation...the lifeblood of Ohtori. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#19 | Back to Top03-12-2007 02:43:27 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Clarice wrote:

what she was doing and believed that Ruka wouldn't let it get that far in public, i.e. she hoped he'd cave rather than allow her to make a scene.

This would make perfect sense, were the person in question not Shiori. Like I said, she battles internally iwth her jealousy towards Juri, and the very thing that made her steal away the unnamed boy was the thought that Juri was looking down on her. She honestly would never risk her pride intentionally, even for Ruka.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#20 | Back to Top03-12-2007 03:54:22 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

dollface wrote:

Clarice wrote:

what she was doing and believed that Ruka wouldn't let it get that far in public, i.e. she hoped he'd cave rather than allow her to make a scene.

This would make perfect sense, were the person in question not Shiori. Like I said, she battles internally iwth her jealousy towards Juri, and the very thing that made her steal away the unnamed boy was the thought that Juri was looking down on her. She honestly would never risk her pride intentionally, even for Ruka.

Ah, that's an interesting way of looking at it...and although I do agree with you, actually, I don't think it would prevent Shiori from (unintentionally) having a major freaky meltdown in the middle of the school courtyard. I mean, the way Shiori behaved later towards Juri -- the whole talking-over-the-chain-in-the-door-with-her-hand-firmly-on-the-knob bit -- seems to indicate that yes, the last person Shiori wants to see her in that state is Juri. It would also explain why she's so vicious towards Juri, when Juri was actually only trying to comfort her...because I don't think Shiori remembers at this stage that Juri loves her? Or does she? Ah, crap, I need to start taking Alzheimer's medication. [headdesk]

Still, I don't think Shiori did risk her pride intentionally at all -- I think her reaction to Ruka's break-up was entirely unplanned and she regretted it as much as Ruka probably appreciated it. I find it quite in keeping with her character, but then I have never really been a fan of Shiori, so...I'm probably not all that unbiased, really. emot-tongue

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#21 | Back to Top03-12-2007 05:50:21 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Ichiro... doesn't that just mean Guy #1? That's still pretty nameless to me.

#22 | Back to Top03-12-2007 06:17:51 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Yeah, it is pretty nameless but it is an actual name - Literally the equivalent of Primus I suppose, but basically the Japanese John Doe.

And I don't think he dumped her in the courtyard exactly, I thought of it as him doing it earlier that day and her coming up to him later - the whole evening before didn't occur to me, but now that you mention it it kinda makes sense.

#23 | Back to Top03-12-2007 08:04:36 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

I thought he pretty much dumped her on the dueling field and she had been following him around ever since...

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#24 | Back to Top03-17-2007 04:33:56 AM

garesuka
New Student

Oh I feel so stupid, I thought that this 'Ichiro' guy was Ruka... just they decided to change his hair colour later on.

That complicates things even more emot-gonk

Board footer