This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top08-04-2007 05:22:27 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Re: vIRGin Meet in NYC? LET'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR SEXY FUN TIME <3 <3

Giovanna wrote:

Holy shit, that would be thoroughly awesome. etc-love Parental supervision will definitely make for a lot of ammo for the underage group getting up here. We are most of us adults but I realize '23 year old' doesn't sound as good as 'parents'.

I figure your mom and her bf won't be around us much Razara, but if they have any questions they're certainly free to ask or call me at odd hours asking how to get to here or there. emot-biggrin

They won't count as parental supervision for anyone that's not staying with me, and even then they'll probably be gone about 80% of the time. I don't plan on letting them stay any longer than they have to. (I'm rather embarrassed that they're coming at all.) So far my mother's been pretty good about all this. She's agreeing to let me go, and she was even awesome enough to agree to letting dollface could stay with us if she can.

Edit: The main condition to letting me go, I assume, is that Kealdrea stays with me at all times, so you'll all get to meet her, too.

Last edited by Razara (08-04-2007 05:27:25 PM)

#52 | Back to Top08-04-2007 05:24:41 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Clarice wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

This is pretty true. cool There is a very 'eh, seen it all/not my business' mentality in NYC, and you're just not going to get a rise out of New Yorkers by dressing funny. We could walk around in wigs dressed as SKU characters and at most people will think we're going to a punk rock show or something. If you watch The Daily Show/The Colbert Report, you've seen them do stupid shit like streak or flail around right out on the street, and you've seen how everyone's just like 'eh whatever'. (BTW, what would be the interest in attended a taping of one of these shows and possibly attempting to rape the host?)

TOTALLY IN THERE school-devil

I'd be interested in that as well.  I got a noncommittal "maybe" from Paradox, but I'm sure that might change once he's not playing a game. ^_-    Here's the info for the Colbert Report and for The Daily Show.

#53 | Back to Top08-04-2007 06:53:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Razara, we'd all be delighted to meet Kealdrea, and I know emot-rolleyes mom emot-rolleyes, but I think it's awesome of her that she's letting you come. I realize it's not parental supervision as a group but it does lend street cred, as it were, to the operation to say there are parents involved.

As for TDS/TCR, seems Colbert's backed up right now but we're months down the road. If we did something like this it would have to be one or the other, but I personally am totally up equally for either of them since I want to have both their babies. etc-love

The Something Awful forums did a TDS NYC goon meet a while back, I might buy the forum archives and dig up the thread and see how they went about it if this is a serious option for us.

Oh oh...lotta book nerds on here too. Whether it's a group activity or not, let me be the first to mention THE STRAND. etc-wankgirl If you like books, you'll have 10000 orgasms there. First time Yasha and I went we dropped 400 between the two of us. Sounds like a lot? We had so many books we had to buy the canvas bags to carry them. Second time? I got slammed with overweight at the airport because my bag weighed 85 pounds. Most of it was books. This might be a fun thing to do in a small group just for the sheer enthusiasm and the size of the place.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#54 | Back to Top08-04-2007 06:56:05 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Oh oh...lotta book nerds on here too. Whether it's a group activity or not, let me be the first to mention THE STRAND. etc-wankgirl If you like books, you'll have 10000 orgasms there. First time Yasha and I went we dropped 400 between the two of us. Sounds like a lot? We had so many books we had to buy the canvas bags to carry them. Second time? I got slammed with overweight at the airport because my bag weighed 85 pounds. Most of it was books. This might be a fun thing to do in a small group just for the sheer enthusiasm and the size of the place.

The only problem with this is I'd probably have to bring horse tranquilisers; you'd never get me out of the building otherwise. ^____^

Speaking of geek-nerdery, if I make it I am TOTALLY off to the United Nations. I've been to the one in Geneva, so I could hardly NOT go to the one in NYC too. emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#55 | Back to Top08-04-2007 07:06:19 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Giovanna wrote:

....oh my God.  That is...oh, my.  Must go there.  Paradox might have to pad some time on the end of our trip just to take care of everything.  And find a post office to ship books back. emot-tongue

I'll go with you to the UN, Clarice! emot-keke  I prefer to assume that people will be there rather than not.

#56 | Back to Top08-04-2007 08:59:07 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

dollface, I rummaged through my old childhood schemes (I lived under lock and key), and here are some of the best ways I think you could move forward...

Ok! So what do your parents want you to do? Go to college? Be a professional artist? A writer? Anything like that? So you can work your lie around what THEY like! Well, now is it the time to say you are entering a contest - and in a few months, you can announce that you've WON the contest (or were selected among quite a few winners so that your parents don't think it's such a distinctive honor that they'd wanna show up). It could be that your paper was chosen by New York University, and you've been invited to take a 3 day workshop with a Master of Communication. Wassup Prof Giovanna? It could be that you sent in artwork that was selected to be shown at such & such vanity gallery, and you're invited ALONG WITH lots of other people you're age, to spend the weekend attending an art seminar - how to install a show, hang artwork, attend the opening. I can tell you that information in the span of 5 minutes! emot-smile

Important things to note to parents: 1. Lots of other brilliant kids are doing it. 2. Think of what an 'edge' I'll have after I complete the ______ training. 3. I can put it on my future resume!!!

Important things to avoid telling parents: Internet gathering. You might as well say the words: I'd like to go stand in the middle of a prison, while the warden opens all the doors. Thar's how they think, dollface! I remember. I wasn't even allowed to go to *CHURCH CAMP because it was boy/girl lock in. Don't cry for me just yet... I'll put it this way, to this day, my mother thinks I have some paintings circulating around in a little art gallery in Kansas - because I wanted to go to the beach with my friends for the weekend, and I used the "workshop fee" to foot the bill! emot-biggrin

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#57 | Back to Top08-04-2007 09:04:37 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Frosty wrote:

to this day, my mother thinks I have some paintings circulating around in a little art gallery in Kansas

I wish I could say that Kansas was a bad choice, but the fact is, if terrorists nuked Wichita, no one outside the state would ever know.emot-frown

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#58 | Back to Top08-04-2007 09:05:10 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

emot-aaa

I'm in if my job doesn't eat me alive.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#59 | Back to Top08-04-2007 10:45:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hinotori wrote:

emot-aaa

Damn right you're in. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#60 | Back to Top08-04-2007 10:57:39 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

This sounds cool... However, for me there is the potential of a lot of expensive events going on next year. So I may not be able to go to this meet.

I want this to be sucessful though, because if the next get together is in San Francisco then I can totally swing it and I could probably put maybe one or two people up for the duration of the event.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#61 | Back to Top08-04-2007 10:58:18 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Giovanna wrote:

As for mass transit, DO NOT BE AFRAID. Mass transit is fun, cheap, and perfectly safe unless you wave your money around like a jackass, which is a dumb idea anywhere you go. I know the subway system, and though there's a map in every station, you will all be free to call me on my cell and ask how the hell to get where. (I will be handing out my cell, and I would request for all of you that have phones to at least give me your number, if not share it with others.

It's not the kind of people one could encounter on mass transit that scares me somewhat (I can take care of myself), it's the whole catching connecting buses, etc, and not getting lost in an unfamiliar city that gets me.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#62 | Back to Top08-04-2007 11:12:02 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

I'm saving up to immigrate my fiance to the US. The petition fee alone is around $450, so unless I come into some major dough, I don't think it'll happen. But hey, we'll see!

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#63 | Back to Top08-04-2007 11:39:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Baka Kakumei Reanna wrote:

I'm saving up to immigrate my fiance to the US. The petition fee alone is around $450, so unless I come into some major dough, I don't think it'll happen. But hey, we'll see!

emot-frown

Yeah, the petition fee is just the start. This is a terrible time to try to come into the states.

#64 | Back to Top08-05-2007 12:33:14 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I remember someone on the mafia thread mentioning the a game of mafia with ten people would only take about 45 minutes in real life. Maybe we could try a real game of mafia when we all get together?

#65 | Back to Top08-05-2007 12:34:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Razara wrote:

I remember someone on the mafia thread mentioning the a game of mafia with ten people would only take about 45 minutes in real life. Maybe we could try a real game of mafia when we all get together?

That would actually be really cool. cool

#66 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:17:09 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

You just had to mention the mafia game, huh? emot-redface

I know I said I most likely won't be able to come, but at the same time I'm getting very interested in this. school-devil The fact that there's still so much time is a good thing 'cause it's a nice opportunity to save up.
I have to do a lot of research about this 'cause my quick search showed me that there's probably no plane going straight to NY from here. Ugh, I've never really travelled abroad very often before, and never on my own, so I don't know much about these things. :/

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#67 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:18:32 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

My academic semester ends May 23. Well, it might be May 22, but it's finals week and I don't know what days my finals will be on... if I can afford it, I'll be there. It's that simple.

And I'm tempted to say that we should bill this as a convention to make it look a bit more, ah, reputable. I'll certainly be telling my family that it's a convention so that they don't go nuts worrying about me while I'm gone.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#68 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:26:15 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Giovanna wrote:

Hinotori wrote:

emot-aaa

Damn right you're in. cool

I'd make a comment about how much I like bossy women but I think it's more fun to make comments about comments I could possibly make.  emot-redface

And I think the best part about holding it in New York is that NY is a reason to go there in itself. I could probably tell my family, "I'm going to New York for a few days in May since I didn't see enough crap there the last ten times I went" and nobody qould question it at all.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#69 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:29:49 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Maarika wrote:

I have to do a lot of research about this 'cause my quick search showed me that there's probably no plane going straight to NY from here.

Well, if for some reason you need to come through Orlando (why, I wouldn't know) you can stay with me and my folks if you need a layover or anything. I'm only about 15 minutes from OIA. That offer is open for Gio and Satyr as well (and anyone who might have to make a long layover). If you want to fly out from OIA, you're more then welcome to crash here the night before so that you don't have get up quite as early -I dunno about you guys, but I'm planning on catching a redeye.

Although flights will probably be cheaper from where y'all are at. emot-rolleyes

If we can get a good idea of numbers, I'd say we should look into convention rates. You can usually get a decent discount for blocks, as opposed to single books.

My vote is for during the week, as rates are the cheapest, both flight wise, and usually hotelwise. I'll probably aim to make a week out of it -probably tuesday to tuesday. Usually group blocks are easier to accomodate when we're talking about a weekday los, too.

Assuming everyone wants to stay at the same place.

Last edited by morosemocha (08-05-2007 01:30:31 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#70 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:33:07 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

morosemocha wrote:

My vote is for during the week, as rates are the cheapest, both flight wise, and usually hotelwise.

Is this true?  I thought that people who come and leave in the same week get charged higher rates, because they're usually businessmen who don't have to pay their own bills.  That's why a lot of round-trip tickets are cheaper if you stay over a Saturday.

Assuming everyone wants to stay at the same place.

I would love it if everyone stayed at the same place emot-smile  I sort of doubt it's practical, but with your special Hilton rates, it might be.

#71 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:35:18 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Nope. There's no discount for the length of time between your travel dates, really, only the days of travel. Friday-Monday are torture, ESPECIALLY where central florida airports are concerned -my last flight in from DC was miserable. So. Many. Goddamn. Children. The fucking Disney express. emot-mad

Edit: I can only get two rooms tops on my personal discount, after that it's the Family discount which is a third to twice as much (and also only two rooms). So it'd be more feasible depending on the group rates. But really, I'd rather wait to start doing group inquiries until we have a better idea, numberwise.

Last edited by morosemocha (08-05-2007 01:37:49 AM)

#72 | Back to Top08-05-2007 01:41:17 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I will probably end up cramming into one of your discounted rooms. I mean, it's not like I'll be doing much sleeping. Or spending time in the room that I'm technically staying in. But yeah, numbers... probably a good idea. I'm so excited!

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#73 | Back to Top08-05-2007 02:13:38 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

If you don't mind techinically being in New Jersey, the best I've got so far is 49 bucks a night at the Hilton by George Washington Bridge. I'll keep looking, but so far that one's pretty consistantly coming up with availability. I can also call, which I may do sooner or later, because the Millenium Hilton would be sweet. There's also a Hampton Inn on Lexington, but they won't gurantee a non smoking room. emot-frown Although 29 bucks a night might persuade me anyway. Keep in mind, I can only get two rooms at that price which means maybe eight people, tops. And three spots (myself included) are already spoken for.

Also, splitting headache. Damn site is too slow.

#74 | Back to Top08-05-2007 03:20:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think, unfortunately, us all staying at one hotel is not likely. Yasha and I are going to want the Carlton Arms, and people like Cerise and Razara are probably going to be in their own rooms which messes with mocha's discount rate. I would say if we can keep it to two or three hotels, we're good. I really think Jersey is a bad idea, it's going to be too inconvenient and a pain in the ass to get into Manhattan, as well as expensive since you'll need to take different routes into the city. The Hampton? On Lexington Ave? What street? That would be GOLD, since it'll put us all on the same subway train. Unfortunately I don't think there are enough of us to qualify for room bulk rates, it's going to boil down to some of us being two in a room, and some are gonna pack it in with mocha's discount. We really need a more definitive list of people coming and agreeableness to staying in groups before we figure out how we can arrange lodgings.

#75 | Back to Top08-05-2007 08:26:46 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Maarika wrote:

Ugh, I've never really travelled abroad very often before, and never on my own, so I don't know much about these things. :/

This is something you need to get over sometime, don't you think? And wouldn't you like to go for it at a time when there will be such lovely people waiting for you on the other end? I mean, Mocha, Gio, and Yasha will be there for sure! And half-a-dozen other beautiful women are fairly likely as well. If you do think you'll be able to make it, make sure you don't room alone, that way you're less likely to get lost on the way to stuff.emot-wink

Well, if for some reason you need to come through Orlando (why, I wouldn't know) you can stay with me and my folks if you need a layover or anything. I'm only about 15 minutes from OIA. That offer is open for Gio and Satyr as well (and anyone who might have to make a long layover).

Too bad a KC flight isn't likely to go through Orlando...emot-tongue

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

Board footer