This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-18-2006 04:15:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ouran High School Host Club (SHADOW KING OHTORI)

Spinoff from the Favorite Anime/Manga thread. That's right, discuss the guilty pleasure that is Ouran High School Host Club. It's a witty, takes-no-prisoners parody of shoujo anime that manages itself to be sweet and fun shoujo anime. Wow! (Best thing I've seen in a while, anime's been sucking lately. emot-mad)

There are many, many references, some direct, some not, to other anime series in Ouran, although the focus is very much on shoujo anime. The main cast prides itself on being stereotypes. Theres Toug-er...Tamaki, the dashing (FRENCH!) prince that leaves a trail of swooning girls in his wake, there's the (kinda) incestuous yaoi twins, and a cross dressing female lead that's really quite good at heart! They all attend an obscenely rich snobby school and run a host club where they entertain girls in one of the music rooms. The whole club is Tamaki's idea. Let us now consider how Touga prefers to entertain girls in the music room.

Ouran is quite free of sex, unfortunately, and cute and sweet enough that I personally felt rather guilty for enjoying it, but apparently a lot of you folks did as well, so DISCUSS.

PS. If some branch of the Ohtori family dabbles in medical supplies, I'm almost afraid to imagine how Akio could take advantage of the inventory.

PSS. The school's layout reminds me somewhat of Ohtori Academy as far as the placement of the buildings, but I don't know if it's a reference or if schools are often designed that way in Japan.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#2 | Back to Top10-18-2006 05:01:21 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Ouran High School Host Club (SHADOW KING OHTORI)

I love Ouran because it's irreverently self-mocking in that it shamelessly makes fun of shoujo anime in particular. The fluttering rose petals all over the damn place, the "prince" facade Tamaki has, and the crossdressing female lead are definitely not coincidences, in my opinion. I think somewhere on my PC I have a fanart of the cast of SKU dressing up as the Host Club, or possibly vice-versa. Now if only I could find it...

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#3 | Back to Top10-18-2006 05:11:05 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

for The Zuka club!

>.>

<.<

*kidnaps Haruhi*

lol i think it was episode 19..but that just cracked me up badly after watching that

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#4 | Back to Top10-18-2006 05:37:33 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Ouran is quite free of sex, unfortunately, and cute and sweet enough that I personally felt rather guilty for enjoying it, but apparently a lot of you folks did as well, so DISCUSS.

Why should you feel guilty about enjoying a show that doesn't automatically make you want to 'slip your hands down your pant' anyway? Too much of etc-wankdude and etc-wankgirl will leave your fingertips smelling funny. emot-keke

Giovanna wrote:

PS. If some branch of the Ohtori family dabbles in medical supplies, I'm almost afraid to imagine how Akio could take advantage of the inventory.

Well you can bet that while Anime-Akio cool would be stocking up on the grounded Rhino's horn and other aphrodisiacs, Movie-Akio emot-gonk, being the wimpish wannabe bad guy that he is would be hoarding all the Rohypnol he could get his hands on.

Giovanna wrote:

PSS. The school's layout reminds me somewhat of Ohtori Academy as far as the placement of the buildings, but I don't know if it's a reference or if schools are often designed that way in Japan.

Ouran isn't based on normal Japanese schools thats for sure, but then again, Ouran would certainly be classified as an elite private school and they are more flexible in how they look as they can and do use old historic buildings as part of their (for want of a better word) group of classrooms. 

As for Ouran being like Ohtori, its missing two key things, there where hardly any roses or rose motifs (Outside the host club anyway) around the place and in the aerial shots, there's no size of an Akio-sized phallic tower that I could see emot-keke

#5 | Back to Top10-18-2006 11:07:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

for The Zuka club!

>.>

<.<

*kidnaps Haruhi*

lol i think it was episode 19..but that just cracked me up badly after watching that

I loved the lesbian school group! Save Haruhi? But they were even worse. emot-confused

Tamago wrote:

Well you can bet that while Anime-Akio cool would be stocking up on the grounded Rhino's horn and other aphrodisiacs, Movie-Akio emot-gonk, being the wimpish wannabe bad guy that he is would be hoarding all the Rohypnol he could get his hands on.

I doubt Anime-Akio needs Rhino horn. I was thinking more along the lines of kinky medical instruments. emot-wink

Tamago wrote:

As for Ouran being like Ohtori, its missing two key things, there where hardly any roses or rose motifs (Outside the host club anyway) around the place and in the aerial shots, there's no size of an Akio-sized phallic tower that I could see emot-keke

Well yes, there was no penis tower. But only SKU can have that!!! emot-mad

Or not. Ohhh. I should post a thread about that...Akio's tower pops up in strange places...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#6 | Back to Top10-19-2006 06:15:58 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I doubt Anime-Akio needs Rhino horn. I was thinking more along the lines of kinky medical instruments. emot-wink

I'm assuming that we are not talking about tongue depressers *hehe* How about this old set here.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/surgicalset.jpg

Perfect for the S&M crowd!

#7 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:37:13 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I've only read the manga, have never watched a single episode. I like it a lot, still, though I find Tamaki is a bit too brainless. For me, that is the only drawback up to now.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#8 | Back to Top10-19-2006 09:06:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I'm assuming that we are not talking about tongue depressers *hehe* How about this old set here.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/ … calset.jpg

Perfect for the S&M crowd!

There we go! What a bad, naughty, kinky family the Ohtoris are. They need to be spanked.

(Kyouya struck me as someone that would kill people with a surgical set like that. emot-gonk)

#9 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:41:21 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh yeah, and is there going to be a second season of this? emot-mad

#10 | Back to Top10-22-2006 12:30:23 PM

Squirrama
New Student

Giovanna wrote:

Oh yeah, and is there going to be a second season of this? emot-mad

Considering how insanly popular Ouran got to be, I wouldn't be at all suprised. Bones took quite a few liberties with the story, and a few of them would allow for a continuation. I also think that it's status as Bone's very first Shoujo anime, coupled with its success, may also lead to more being made, if for no other reason than Bones can use it to try out things with a genre they are not used to while still making a ton of money off it.

...Also, did you know that the man who wrote the music for Ouran is the same guy who arranged the music for Utena?

#11 | Back to Top10-22-2006 02:13:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Squirrama wrote:

...Also, did you know that the man who wrote the music for Ouran is the same guy who arranged the music for Utena?

No I didn't, but you know, now that you say that, I do recognize the style. Sweet! emot-dance

#12 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:15:16 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I've seen a few episodes of this on youtube, and my friend has been lending me the manga. I have to say it's halarious. I love that the main character is mistaken for a yaoi boy at first. And I love all of the shoujo parodies. It's a refreshing, enjoyable series. emot-smile Also, I  did notice a lot of parallels between the layout of the school and that of the Ohtori campus. It just made me like it more.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#13 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:48:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

belladonna wrote:

Also, I  did notice a lot of parallels between the layout of the school and that of the Ohtori campus. It just made me like it more.

I kept trying to sort out whether that was in my head. The episode with the whole she's hiding in the church during a storm thing seemed familiar too...

How are you liking the manga versus the series?

#14 | Back to Top12-01-2006 02:57:01 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/calamity/1164683558568.jpg

That's all I have to say about that.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#15 | Back to Top12-02-2006 10:43:04 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Ugh, that show makes me want to kill myself.  I tried to like it, really, but the overall energy of it was just irritating (Renge made me want to outright stop watching the episode on a few occasions).  I've been told it improves by the end, but nine episodes in and I had a hard time believing that.

Last edited by Archambeau (12-02-2006 10:43:33 AM)

#16 | Back to Top12-02-2006 09:47:30 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Archambeau wrote:

Ugh, that show makes me want to kill myself.  I tried to like it, really, but the overall energy of it was just irritating (Renge made me want to outright stop watching the episode on a few occasions).  I've been told it improves by the end, but nine episodes in and I had a hard time believing that.

I guess Ouran to you is like what lemon curry is to me, I tried to like it as well but it just didn't sit too well with me either.

#17 | Back to Top12-03-2006 11:45:30 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Hee, I just posted about my Ouran-love in one of the anime threads. emot-biggrin

I love Ouran, though. It's insane as all hell, but it's so energetic and fun. The shojo parodies crack me up, and Haruhi is so refreshingly snarky and low-maintenance. A huge rarity in shojo heroines, I've noticed. And Tamaki is a huge dork--he just has yet to realize the fact. Poor thing.

I really do hope we get more Ouran. I'd watch it in a heartbeat.

#18 | Back to Top12-07-2006 04:27:22 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Giovanna wrote:

I kept trying to sort out whether that was in my head. The episode with the whole she's hiding in the church during a storm thing seemed familiar too...

How are you liking the manga versus the series?

I thought it was in my head, too. But it gets worse. Did you notice that in sometimes when a character is shown close up, if he is a member of the host club, there's a rose border around them? I swear I was waiting for them to start spinning. I feel like I'm tricking myself into thinking the two series look similar. I'll have to compare scrren caps to make sure.

Manga vs. series? Right now I'd have to go with the series, but it doesn't help I've only gotten my hands on two volumes of manga. I do like the art, and color scheme, and I'm all crazy over the OP and ED themes.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#19 | Back to Top12-07-2006 04:34:02 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I think the end of the Ouran series was one of those few instances of where an anime-only portion is done just right. It seems like when its left up to the anime writers to write in some of their own material generally things do not go smoothly, but Bones did a spot-on job.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#20 | Back to Top12-08-2006 11:13:01 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

belladonna wrote:

I thought it was in my head, too. But it gets worse. Did you notice that in sometimes when a character is shown close up, if he is a member of the host club, there's a rose border around them? I swear I was waiting for them to start spinning. I feel like I'm tricking myself into thinking the two series look similar. I'll have to compare scrren caps to make sure.

That would be interesting! I'm quite sure it's not a coincidence, since the series pretty much prides itself on how it refers to others. Is Ohtori really common enough a name that it can pop up in a series like that and be an accident? emot-confused

#21 | Back to Top12-17-2006 08:31:31 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

When I saw the first episode of Ouran, I imagined it would be silly romance. I kept up with the seires, and while I did not find the type of silly romance I was looking for, I did find a very cute show. The twins and Nekozawa are my favorite. etc-love I also think Renge makes the show worth watching. Her bits are always amusing.

But I... I don't actually like Haruhi very much. At all.

Last edited by dollface (11-05-2008 01:01:21 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#22 | Back to Top12-17-2006 11:27:10 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Funny you think that, as Renge sent the Ouran folder into the Recycle Bin for me.  I will agree that Haruhi was irritating in that she followed the reverse-harem principle in how the entire male cast ended up falling for her.  She was like a disaffected Miaka.

#23 | Back to Top12-18-2006 12:45:04 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its funny how Renge brings up the love or hate in people, I myself think of Renge as a sort of modern day otaku smaller chested Naga the Serpent. emot-tongue

#24 | Back to Top12-23-2006 08:45:25 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

I LOVE Ouran... love it!  Kyouya, of course, is my favorite member of the club.  I have a soft-spot for clever manipulators I guess. etc-love  Granted, I also adore Haruhi for not being the stereotypical naiive ding-bat female lead. 

I like Renge if only for the hilarious anime in-jokes she provides.

#25 | Back to Top03-04-2007 02:54:41 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I found a few fun Ouran Host Club/Rocky Horror paradies on Youtube that might amuse the fans of both series.
It's not just songs from the movie. its also using the dialogue from the Rocky Horror Picture Show as well.
The lip-syncing/scene matchup is pretty damn good and its worth spending the time to watch these ones.

The Ouran Horror Picture Show-A Trailer emot-keke

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 1-Dammit Janet! emot-smile

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 2-Over The Frankenstein Place emot-smile

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 3-Time Warp etc-love

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 4-Sweet Transvestite etc-loveetc-love

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 5-The Sword Of Damocles etc-love

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 6-I Can Make You A Man etc-love

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 7-Whatever Happened to Saturday Night? emot-keke

The Ouran Horror Picture Show:Ep 8-I Can Make you A Man(Reprise) emot-biggrin

Board footer