This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-31-2006 02:29:05 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Amazingly sad.

Ever since joining this forum I've noticed it is filled with fantastically understanding and helpful people. That is why I'm feeling trusting enough to bring this topic up that has been making my life miserable lately. I'm not sure if I'm looking for help or just some comfort, and I guess I'm not even really asking anyone to read this, but I think I'll feel better if I just write it out.

(I apoligize if this turns into an angsty, annoying post. I am not normally that way but once in the while I have to vent.)

My best friend is amazing. We click so well. We're happy when we're around each other. We're on the same wavelength. etc etc etc. (she's also a huge Utena fan! emot-biggrin)

She has been living in California for I think 2 years now. And normally we swap emails fairly regularly.

I haven't heard from her in three months.

Now, she has disappeared for this long before. Usually it's something to do with her moving to a new house (she moves around a lot) or her not having internet for like have a year (a common occurance in her household). However, I'm still freaking out. I'm just scared that something has happened and I'll end up never hearing about it. I know, overdramatic.

I already feel a little better writing this out. If anyone has any suggestions or stories similar to this (best friends, loved ones, etc) feel free to share, or ask any questions.

Thank you.

#2 | Back to Top12-31-2006 03:09:20 PM

Birgy23
Miki Molester
Website

Re: Amazingly sad.

Great friends are hard to come by, and even when there's a gap, if the bond is still there, it's really hard to break. If it's happened before, I wouldn't worry. If she didn't give any indication that she was mad at you for some reason, then maybe it's just something she couldn't control either. If you have her phone number, maybe you should try calling her? Or if she has a phone there are ways to send short emails to cell phones like text messages. My best friend and I do that, when we can't talk. Most of the time we're playing phone tag anyway. And if long distance is an issue, sometimes it's better to have the charge on your bill and the peace of mind knowing what's going on in her life. I wish you the best, and hope that you and your friend get back in contact with eachother again.

#3 | Back to Top12-31-2006 05:52:13 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Yes, contact her if it's at all possible.

I used to adore my father's ex girlfriend, and she seemed to love me as if I was her own daughter. We didn't keep in touch due to absences like this, and it still hurts to this day that one of the times we talked was the last time-- we haven't spoken in years. I don't even know where she is. I think if I'd known how much it would hurt not to talk to her, I would have held on tighter when I had the chance.

Don't let it go. If this girl means something to you, and you're worried something has happened, try to contact her through any means you have.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top12-31-2006 07:05:24 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I've lost a lot of people over the years. I distanced myself from my best friend over pathetic middle school drama and haven't spoken to her since we were 14 and lost the subsequent best friend in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, I still see some of their friends/relatives aroiund town and I know both are getting married and one just gave birth. I feel bad about not being able to be a part of that. Looking back, in both of those situations they were being incredibly immature but immaturity is what 12-17 year olds do and chances are really good if I hadn't decided to just give up on them everything would have been fine.

Definitely contact them, if you can.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#5 | Back to Top12-31-2006 10:37:30 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I actually know exactly how you feel, Emiemipoemi. I also have a very close friend (who yes, also likes Utena) that I used to talk to virtually every day, who two months ago vanished one weekend without a trace and I have no idea what's happened to them. I've been very worried, but there's not much I can do, unfortunately, except wait.

If you know this girl's name and address, you could definitely find a phone number by searching online, which might help you out. If you don't know how and would like to find her contact info, you can PM me and I'll try and find it for you.

I'm pretty sure both of our fears are unfounded, so let's hope the new year brings up that they just lost Internet access for awhile, so we (or at least I) can yell at them for not even using an Internet cafe to say "hello, I'm okay". emot-wink

#6 | Back to Top01-01-2007 01:54:02 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

There are lots of circumstances that can lead up to disappearances like this, so don't give up hope yet.

I've actually been the one to vanish from the face of the internet on several occasions, and I always feel horrible whenever it happens. At the beginning of August, I hurt my hand, and I was unable to type again for quite a while. I felt guilty that I wasn't able to tell my friends what had happened to me.

If possible, try to contact her, and watch out for any means that she might be using to contact you.

#7 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:44:36 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I know how this feels too. 
I had a best friend but then when I moved we couldn't see each other anymore, but we wrote to each other for quite a long time. But now a few years back we stopped doing that, I suppose it was natural since we wrote to each other less and less as time passed. Also, I didn't reply her letter because she said she was going to move, and by now she probably has. Sadly, I don't know where to. Even though I haven't heard anything from her in years, I somehow have a feeling I'll hear from her again someday.

Also, I've had other people disappear all of a sudden. I think what makes it so hard to deal with is that it all happens so suddenly and without any warning. I guess there's nothing much to do, just keep contacting those people by any means you can. Eventually you'll hear about them again. And like Razara said, there are so many reasons why they can disappear. You shouldn't worry too much about it, just wait patiently (not so easy to do though...but sometimes there's no other choice).
I've disappeared like that too, I had no way of telling anyone what happened to me or why I was gone, and then I showed up again as if nothing had happened.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#8 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:30:46 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I've lost loved one suddenly, a cousin. When he left for Afganistan, he said to me, "My mom & sister think I'm not going to come back." I said, "Jimmy! You know how dramatic this family can be, hahaha, don't be nervous at all, of course you're coming back. They spaz about everything, but we've got plans, you're gonna go save the world when you get back, I'll be right there with you!" (insert knife to heart here) Cause, of course, he died...on his FLIGHT HOME! Damn! emot-mad emot-frown emot-mad

Losing a person suddenly, when you thought you'd have your whole life to run around together, harsh. Not much to do, but get a tattoo. Or, use their memory as a guiding light to measure your own actions.

Lost a dog, my miniature collie. Christmas present when I was 6 years old, died when I was 23. I still wake up in the morning, gently stepping off the bed so I won't accidentally step on her. I don't close doors quickly, behind me, so she isn't caught on the other side. And, I certainly don't love any other dogs. I have a cat now. I do love the cat, but it isn't the same.

Real friends separating, I have a best friend who we're in the process of drifting apart. She made a big mistake that I paid for, and probably her guilt has driven her away, even though I've gone out of my way to say there's no hard feelings. That's tough too. Usually same old face you turn to and laugh, when something funny appears, now there are a sea of faces that laugh along, but they aren't quite the one you need. The same old person, with the same old problems, always calling all the time...but you were happy to pick up the phone, now though, new callers, new problems, thank god for caller ID.

Yeah, losing close people is the worst. It's difficult to make new ones, so I'd echo all the other people who advised to try any means necessary to find your missing friend and keep in touch. If it is an internet friend... well, once you find them again, get a physical address so you will have an easier time staying in contact.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#9 | Back to Top01-01-2007 06:47:24 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

I know your feeling. I've been moving since i was born, i lost contact with everybody i get close to, i get worried a lot...

Don't know what to say exactly, my english doesn't let me do it ;_;

There have been 3 years since i don't know anything from my friends of mexico, 'cause we moved one day, and i didn't have time for calling them or something. Finally, i found them some days ago (fotolog is amazing) and i speak with them. My best friend saw her mother suiciding and now she's in theraphy since 2 years ago, she's with meds and terribly depressed. I didn't knew a thing, and this girl told me horrible things that had happend in this 3 years...

I'm constantly sad because i don't have any friends (and bnot because i'm antisocial (a bit...), all my friends at the end forgets me or betrays me, bad luck i gues...), and the ones i had, i wasn't there when they needed me, only 2 people on my heart and i'm not able to support them. I just disappeared from their lifes from one day to other, and that's my life, because i'm always moving. I moved this summer, and i'll move again the next.

Hope is nothing serious, comunication is really important for our heart stability, if we lose it for a short time, we turn mad.

#10 | Back to Top01-01-2007 12:16:45 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

It happens. /:

The best a person can do is try and pervent it and hope the other half will do the same. I've often had phases when I just stopped going to the Internet for months. The worst thing about it is the longer I'm absent, the less guilty I feel for leaving close friends behind. But I never change my e-mails or online alias' (one of the reasons why I still keep my n00bie alias 'mewTara'), so that people would always have a place where they could find me. Plus, I exchange my mobile phone number and adress with my closest, so I'd be able to keep in touch even when our paths lead us away from the Internet world.

I've had a offline friend that could qualify as a beta version of a best friend. She came to Croatia with her family and everything was fine and dandy until she moved away to Bali. She left me her mobile phone number and e-mail, but it didn't help. Once she leaves the country, she can't keep the same mobile phone number and the e-mail she gave me stopped existing due to inactivity. A year and a half passes and I get a SMS, from her. Aparently, she ran into a mutual friend on the street that gave her my phone number again (which remained the same up to now). We hanged out, just like old times, until her phone number stopped existing again. She travels a lot with her family and there is no telling if she still keeps my phone number around, but I won't change it, as long as there is a possibility that she will contact me. Even if I never hear from her again, I won't be sad, because the memory she left me with will always stay in my heart.

's 'bout it. Hope your story ends on a happier note. Good luck!

#11 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:24:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Everyone else has said it, but I'll chime in for more. Keep trying.

There aren't many best friends in a person's life, and it would be a crime to let one go. Write letters, send e-mails, contact people she knows. No one that close to you is going to just fall off the face of the earth for no reason.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#12 | Back to Top01-01-2007 04:59:56 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

So long as you do all you can to contact this person, rest assured you're doing all you can. Trite as that sounds. It's the problem with having friends you only have online; you seldom have mutual friends with phone numbers or physical access to check up on somebody.

Where does this person live?

#13 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:17:19 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Thank you, everybody. Reading these have made me feel so much better. I gotta say I really love this community. etc-love

Board footer