This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top01-02-2007 07:51:54 AM

Professor Plum
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Current Anime

Hi, Scortia!  Glad to see that you're posting here after I told you about this forum in IM!

Scortia wrote:

Archambeau:  Have you seen Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms)?  It has a similar premise to Fushigi Yuugi but without all the annoyance of Miaka... it's a fantasy as well but it focuses more on politics than on romance (romance, what romance?). 

I need to look up Marimite now, because I am a HUGE fan of Oniisama E.  Oh St. Juste-sama. emot-rolleyes

I've watched up to episode 39 of Twelve Kingdoms.  Great story and it's amazing to watch the heroine of the first and third arcs (the second arc is about someone else) develop.

As for Marimite, I've watched the first 3 episodes.  Nice, but I was more impressed by The Melancholy of Hahuri Suzumiya.

#77 | Back to Top01-03-2007 04:51:09 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Well, Maria-sama and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu are completely different shows, though.

Anyway...

THERE'S GONNA BE A SECOND SEASON OF VICTORIAN ROMANCE EMMA!!! emot-dance

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#78 | Back to Top01-03-2007 10:46:18 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

Gankutsuou is a futuristic anime, loosely based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. The story is told largely from the point of view of Albert, a naïve, young man who the Count uses to gain access to the higher ranks of society. The art is beyond description, with backgrounds, clothing, hair, and other surfaces given texture with prisms and patterns. The characters are fascinating and the story is a rather creative interpretation of the original source. Lies, manipulation, death, and on-screen wank makes this a series I would recommend to a fan of Utena.

#79 | Back to Top01-08-2007 07:27:14 PM

A Day Without Me

I just added another anime to my watching list - I dunno if I should be happy or not, 'cause I'm enjoying my newest anime aquisition, but it means I'm following... ten-ish series. emot-gonk

Anyway, I've whipped through seventeen episodes of Kyo Kara Maoh in the past few days because I found every DVD of the first series on sale for 75% off emot-dance Its funny, and it has a whee bit of shounen-ai included, which is always good school-devil

#80 | Back to Top01-08-2007 08:24:21 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

alexielnet wrote:

Gankutsuou is a futuristic anime, loosely based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. The story is told largely from the point of view of Albert, a naïve, young man who the Count uses to gain access to the higher ranks of society. The art is beyond description, with backgrounds, clothing, hair, and other surfaces given texture with prisms and patterns. The characters are fascinating and the story is a rather creative interpretation of the original source. Lies, manipulation, death, and on-screen wank makes this a series I would recommend to a fan of Utena.

Seconded.  When I almost fell out of the anime scene, this was one of the few series that kept me interested.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#81 | Back to Top01-31-2007 03:08:00 AM

Musachan
Saionji Slapper

Kakumei Shoujo Utena.
Currently watching... ^^;;

Pocket Monsters: Diamond & Pearl
Currently watching. I love Hikari and it's terribly amusing to me that Satoshi's been nudged out of the spotlight after all of these years. The Pikachu/Mimirol thing is just way too cute... and could likely end up very disturbing if Mimirol evolves into the fanservice bunny and is STILL in love with Pikachu. I am impatiently waiting for that.
Love Pochama too, 'course.
And I'm hoping PM movie eleven/DP movie one doesn't stink. I don't think that it can top the greatness of movie eight, but hey, here's to hoping.
Oh, yes, of course, and the Candy Candy reference. xD CANDY Musashi no debut~! Candy Musashi scares me though, not because of the dressing up and acting like a five year old thing, but because of her appeal that starts out overly-cutesy and then... just creepy.

Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation
^^; I missed some of the earlier episodes of Houen and most of the middle episodes so currently watching that too. It's kind of weird watching Haruka- or should I say May as I'm watching AG dubbed? May as a newbie, but it's nice to see how far she's gone and how she got there. And laughing at the dub's inconsistency and cringing at Jaaaaames. And laughing at the inconsistencies. And the badly-timed cuts that don't hit the mark, see Rose Orb and Indigo Orb vs Red Orb and Blue Orb, and  Jessie getting whapped in the face by Treeko's tail- in any case, why are they giving us flashbacks to cheesy old shows with all of these full-screen impact stars? Dude.
And the bad music replacing...
The best thing about AG, though, hands down is Harley. You cannot completely hate the guy unless you lack a sense of humor or are easily frightened.
Early AG has such baaaaaad art. Better animation than before most of the time, but the art looks too simple and ugly until like, one hundred episodes in! Of course, that isn't to say that the original's flawless when it comes to music. While the music may be leagues ahead of the dub's, the scoring can sometimes be rather... bad. Click 'Harley' for an example. That episode had overly-grand music being played in scenes that really did NOT need it. The shitennou/Elite Four's theme in a scene with Harley?!
Oh poor Harley, he always gets either badly animated but well drawn episodes or well animated but badly drawn episodes. Or he gets Iwane who does the best art and animation, but has absolutely no clue how Harley should be drawn. Harley only has two well-drawn and well-animated episodes. His first (Pokemon Contest! Beware The Rival!) and his last (Shuu VS Haruka! Rivals Forever!). xD;

Haibane Renmei (Charcoal Feather Federation)
Finished watching. 13 episodes. It's just absolutely /lovely./ Not everything is solved and a lot is left to the viewer's imagination, but I like that about it. The music is also quite nice. ^^ Free Bird and Blue Flow are so pretty~. It's about these angelic looking beings called Haibane who are not allowed to go beyond the walls of Glie where they live amongst humans and animals.
I also really love the art style and the subdued looking colors. Rakka and Reki are my favorite characters, but I also adore Kuu, and Nemu and Hikari remind me of myself. It's hard not to get attatched to 'em... Highly reccomend. ^^

Also, just about anything by Makoto Shinkai. Favorite is Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: their standing points (She And Her Cat: their standing points). I reccomend that to ANYONE and everyone. Even if you don't like it, you won't waste much time as it's only around five minutes long. How can you say no to that?

Last edited by Musachan (01-31-2007 03:30:04 AM)

Favorite characters: Musashi/Jessie, Kojiro/James, Nyasu/Meowth, Haruka/May, Hikari, Kiryuu Nanami, Tsuwabuki Mitsuru, ChuChu, Rakka, and Reki.

'This time we’re going together! Partners have to be supportive and trusting! Absolutely, unconditionally!' Musashi in Love and The Origin of Youth hoso special.

#82 | Back to Top01-31-2007 10:48:33 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

emot-dance Death Note is really great it is like watching chess but the guys are more sexy and thier minds are etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude worthy to watch in action

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#83 | Back to Top01-31-2007 03:29:49 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

A Day Without Me wrote:

THERE'S GONNA BE A SECOND SEASON OF VICTORIAN ROMANCE EMMA!!! emot-dance

Yay!!!!! emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#84 | Back to Top01-31-2007 04:03:01 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Musachan wrote:

Haibane Renmei (Charcoal Feather Federation)

Haibane Renmei is a desert island pick for me... plus I'm a huge fan of Yoshitoshi ABe, and this series is all him.  Also, I etc-loveetc-loveetc-love Rakka.

Musachan wrote:

Also, just about anything by Makoto Shinkai. Favorite is Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko: their standing points (She And Her Cat: their standing points). I reccomend that to ANYONE and everyone. Even if you don't like it, you won't waste much time as it's only around five minutes long. How can you say no to that?

Voices of a Distant Star
was amazing, and I need to watch She and Her Cat again as it's on the same DVD.  I also just got The Place Promised in Our Early Days, but I haven't watched it yet... I need to fix that!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#85 | Back to Top01-31-2007 05:37:37 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Voices of a Distant Star
was amazing, and I need to watch She and Her Cat again as it's on the same DVD.  I also just got The Place Promised in Our Early Days, but I haven't watched it yet... I need to fix that!

The Place Promised was wonderful [I bought it the day it came out. It just looked so good]. It makes me shudder. Voices of a Distant Star is also amazing. And to think, the same genius is behind the two. etc-love

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#86 | Back to Top01-31-2007 07:27:38 PM

A Day Without Me

I'm re-watching Tactics emot-keke I love that show.

Y'know, I might just check out Pokemon Diamond and Pearl now, Musachan... I had no prior desire to do so, but it sounds like it could be decent at least.

#87 | Back to Top02-01-2007 12:43:27 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Last anime I think I have watched was a dirrrrrrty Hentai called Koihime.
Last non-Hentai anime I watched wasssssss.......I forgot.
But I do remember crying over Utena and Gundam wing cause I did not get either
of the perfect collections for Christmas.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#88 | Back to Top02-01-2007 08:53:26 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I just started watching Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora after looking forward to it forever.  I'm sad KOTOKO has nothing to do with the music.

NO COMMENT.

Last edited by Hinotori (02-01-2007 09:00:02 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#89 | Back to Top02-03-2007 03:59:53 AM

Musachan
Saionji Slapper

Ooh, try it! It's a little slow in some episodes, but the plot's pretty connected and we get some nice references to Pokemon Crystal (namely, Marina-chan!) and the original series (Kojiro's parents, though unseen, and his fiance x3).Very nice, though just about every episode starts in media res, which annoys some people. emot-keke;

Oh, right, and GREGGLE. Creepy creepy frog that poisons people for a gag. It's just great. You should see the first three episodes which aired together... and then probably go see Greggle and The Mysterious Gym. But I'm probably biased because I adore Musashi and Greggle's creepiness amuses me. Best watch it in order, otherwise.

Tell me if you have trouble finding it~, I know where you can get all the episodes! emot-keke

Waaah, I could have gotten The Place Promised in Our Early Days, but I was dumb and didn't take it. emot-keke; Next time, maybe...
It sounds great.

Favorite characters: Musashi/Jessie, Kojiro/James, Nyasu/Meowth, Haruka/May, Hikari, Kiryuu Nanami, Tsuwabuki Mitsuru, ChuChu, Rakka, and Reki.

'This time we’re going together! Partners have to be supportive and trusting! Absolutely, unconditionally!' Musashi in Love and The Origin of Youth hoso special.

#90 | Back to Top02-04-2007 02:53:42 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I think you should definately give The Place Promised a try. It's not much for cliche anime[ie- magical girls, shape shifting, samurai, demons/monters, ect.] but I think that makes it even more moving. The soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous. A few of my friends didn't really like it, they thought it was boring. But it moved me to tears.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#91 | Back to Top02-12-2007 06:01:12 PM

A Day Without Me

Well, I'm watching Galaxy Angel Rune now, which is kind of weird because I've never seen any of the Galaxy Angel stuff before. A lot of the character designs are cute, and it is a bit funny so far. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it, exactly, but it you have 25 minutes to spare and nothing to do you might as well take a look.

#92 | Back to Top02-12-2007 06:26:41 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Well, I'm watching Galaxy Angel Rune now, which is kind of weird because I've never seen any of the Galaxy Angel stuff before. A lot of the character designs are cute, and it is a bit funny so far. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend it, exactly, but it you have 25 minutes to spare and nothing to do you might as well take a look.

I cannot say anything about GA rune but the earlier Galaxy Angel is pretty damn good.

BTW what kind of title is 'Still Drunk in the Morning?'

#93 | Back to Top02-12-2007 06:32:19 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I was rewatching Excel Saga earlier today. It's amazing how they managed to make fun of every anime in existence.

Excel Saga is one of the few animes that I actually prefer in English. Her voice actress does an amazing job, and it's a shame that she hurt her voice half way through the series. However, I would like to listen to it in Japanese one of these days, since Excel is Juri, and Il Pallazo is Touga.

#94 | Back to Top02-12-2007 07:41:35 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I'm watching Planetes for the first time (4 episodes in), and Touga's in it!  Err, well... his voice actor is.  At least in this part of the story, he's one of the supporting characters on the crew of the ship they are on.  (Named Yuri, amusingly.)

Hint to Gio... if NASA made an anime, it would be Planetes!  This is definitely hard science fiction.  It takes place in 2075, and follows the exploits of a crew that is in charge of retrieving and disposing of space junk, since as we all know, a pea that crosses orbits with a satellite would more than likely destroy that satellite.  When you see anything happening on the spacewalks... it's silent except for radio chatter!  This is going to be an amazing series, I can already tell. emot-dance

It gets bonus points for having a lead (Ai Tanabe) that falls into one of my favorite character types...  cute 20 year old girl. Check this page about 4/5 down (3 images below Yuri's profile card) for a larger shot of her in her sweater-vest... she's adorable in it.  :3  (Super-bonus... Planetes has the same character designer as Figure 17, my favoritest series right after Utena!)

Ai Tanabe joins the likes of Mayuko Chigasaki (NieA_7) and Mikiko Oguro (Animation Runner Kuromi) as anime characters I wish were real people and knew personally. emot-keke

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (02-12-2007 07:42:55 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#95 | Back to Top02-14-2007 03:08:30 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Well, I only just finished Utena and getting around to the movie. In the meantime I'm watching Earthian (which was recommened to me by someone who knows someone who knows someone who heard it was good) but its kind of iffy and I'm going to start watching Noir because the music was done by Yuki Kajiura. etc-love

I would second the recomendation for Ouran High School Host Club. Every single show will have you laughing out loud. Not fanservice humor, not stupid humor, just plain old hilarious humor. It makes fun of just about everything, especially fangirls.

I also recommend Hunter x Hunter. One of the best shonen titles, well-developed characters and completely unpredictable.

Last edited by YamPuff (02-14-2007 03:09:24 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#96 | Back to Top02-14-2007 03:19:36 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

YamPuff wrote:

I would second the recomendation for Ouran High School Host Club. Every single show will have you laughing out loud. Not fanservice humor, not stupid humor, just plain old hilarious humor. It makes fun of just about everything, especially fangirls.

What I wanna see now from the Ouran High School Host Club series is the English dub on DVD so I can compare it with the Japanese voiceover and see if they did a good job or not.

#97 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:55:37 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Hinotori wrote:

Red Garden is relatively enjoyable. The voice acting completely makes up for the "SHOWCASE OF AMERICAN GROTESQUE" that's the animation. I can't help but think that the artist behind the character designs really thinks all white chicks look like drag queens. It's definitely growing into an interesting series.

Giving this thing a well-deserved second mention after watching Ep. 16. Yeah, the character designs still suck and everyone looks like drag queens, but I've thought about it for a while and the animation isn't really the problem. In fact, EVERYTHING but the character designs are really well done and the character designs grow on you. Wonderful plot, lovely voice acting, whole bit. This is my favourite running anime right now and it would have to mess up reaaall bad for me to bump it off my comprehensive list. ;o

#98 | Back to Top02-14-2007 10:11:28 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I wikied Red Garden. It's set in New York City, and I admit I'm now interested. (My god they do look like drag queens, though. emot-gonk)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#99 | Back to Top02-14-2007 10:40:41 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Tamago wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

What I wanna see now from the Ouran High School Host Club series is the English dub on DVD so I can compare it with the Japanese voiceover and see if they did a good job or not.

emot-aaa It's been licenced???

I remember discussing a potential dub on another forum. We were saying how great it would be for Tamaki to have a French accent and the others to have British accents. Yumminess.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#100 | Back to Top02-14-2007 10:40:47 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

It's set in New York, but I don't think they put all that much thought into recreating the city, either that or it doesn't drag up the same images most fiction set in New York does, not that that's always a bad thing.

And yeah, MariMite 2 is fresh off the presses. Watchiing it now and it's pretty terrific. :x

Board footer