This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-11-2006 05:06:16 PM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

Random Musing on that Utena Movie Thing Whatever

Remember that Utena movie? You know, the one that lacks all the fun characters and gives everyone really gllossy hair and saucerplate eyes?

I kid, I like the Utena movie, enough to pop it in the other night and give understanding it another go.

I still don't understand it, go fig.

Before I ramble, keep in mind I'm saying all this lightly and humorously so this isn't like...the major colossal revelation thread of whoa-ness.

The Utena movie, to me, is like...the world without Akio.

1) Touga's lying about all domineering and elusive in the rafters in an Akio-esque fashion with his own bitch-pawn (Shiori) to go out and entice people to duel (Juri) with Utena.
          A) Shiori doodles a crocodile with an umbilical cord (I have no idea what that means) on Touga's back, and he shows up later in the first "scandalous" video and, I feel being a representation of Touga, grows his jaws out larger and eats Chu-chu, a possible representation of Akio (tie, earring, whatevs) like "Now I'm in charge, bitch."

AND HOW COULD TOUGA DO THIS, AKIO'S SUCH AN UBER-SEX GOD? Well, this leads to:

2) Bitch-Fairy-Akio, and why is Bitch-Fairy-Akio (or BFA) such a pansy? - - - > Oh, this car doesn't run, I LOST THE KEYS

Akio Car = The tangible symbol of Akio's shamelessness, manipulative nature, and above all, sex sex sex.
Movie Akio takes the TAXI. Result? Akio becomes this craven pansy-ass that can't control much of anyone or anything...he can only dance around this kick ass car and fuck his sister after he's knocked her out.

It's all in the cars, ladies and gentlemen. And Akio ain't got one. Before he flops out the window, he's all, "OMG WHERE'S THE KEY, CARS RUST WITHOUT THE KEY BLAH BLAH BLAH"

This statement = I need my car/ I need the source/symbol of all my power

And why shouldn't that be the car? It's only the vessel to the outside/end of the world and the biggest symbol in the whole damn movie and a major one in the series.

As a result of this...flacid Akio, it seems like all this random stuff is filling in where he can't.

Uten turning into a car to travel to the ends of the world
Shiori doing Rose Bride shit
Touga being the central object of desire
Juri stepping in more solidly as another Prince
Anthy being more active and talkative and mischevous and adopting more Akio charm
Characters being generally more sexually forward with each other because Akio isn't fucking all of them
Touga acting as a static sort of character that has knowledge to impart to Utena (They watched the stars together once too, one of them said)

ETCETERA

The only one who really benefitted was Kanae, because as a result of Akio's pansy-ness, she's the only one he could really keep under his thumb, and so she's the only one who really gives a damn when they excavate his sad ass from the roses.

Finally, in the English dub of the movie, they pronounce his name as  "a-KI-o," even though all the VA's were the same ones from the English dub that pronounced it "A-kio"...almost as if to make a point that these are OBVIOUSLY different men.

Yeah, that's about it. Randomness and Series Akio love.

#2 | Back to Top11-13-2006 08:00:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Random Musing on that Utena Movie Thing Whatever

See, that's what happens when you chop Akio's dick off. emot-gonk But the car isn't the only symbol of his emasculation in the movie, his tower is severed and attached to the new one.

Also he's a huge pussy. I honestly wonder where Ikuhara was going with the whole movie Akio thing, I can't help but think, given how the movie is so obviously a fan-pandering party, that Akio is just grossly unpopular in Japan, or that Ikuhara really, really dislikes him.

Come on, he treated series Akio like he was taking revenge on someone that beat him up and stole his lunch money. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top04-25-2007 01:21:06 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Am I the only one to consider the fact that the emasculation of Akio and his tower holds more meaning than Ikuhara just not liking him?  If you view the movie as some kind of (albiet very indirect) sequel to the tv series, then I would have to think the point where Anthy tells Akio to "f**k off, I'm doing what I want not" at the end of the tv show probably be the moment where he lost his manhood, and thus he turns into the pansy bitch in the movie.

#4 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:04:20 AM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

I don't understand movie Touga. Why is he hanging out with Shiori?

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#5 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:16:37 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Because they're in the same color family?

I dunno, I'm at a loss for so much in the movie too. :/

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#6 | Back to Top04-25-2007 11:10:08 AM

J-Syxx
Banned

Hysterical Woman wrote:

I don't understand movie Touga. Why is he hanging out with Shiori?

Because they were childhood sweethearts.  He's the prince she was referring to who died.  She then forced Juri to take his place as the prince (if I am understanding it correctly).  Apparently, he was two timing her with Utena as well.

Last edited by J-Syxx (04-25-2007 11:10:49 AM)

#7 | Back to Top04-25-2007 11:50:29 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

J-Syxx wrote:

Because they were childhood sweethearts.  He's the prince she was referring to who died.  She then forced Juri to take his place as the prince (if I am understanding it correctly).  Apparently, he was two timing her with Utena as well.

Hmm, I never thought that he was two-timing Utena as a kid. emot-confused Juri's VA, as I understand it, voiced the part of the girl who is drowning, so Juri is the girl drowning(which relates to her sister in the series) and Shiori is the girl in the boat. I always thought it went down like this.

Juri: DROWNING HERE! *glub, glub*
Touga: Oh, no! I'll save you!
Shiori: WHAT?! A hot guy saving Juri?! Why can't it be meeee?! I should be the special one! I steal your soul now!
Touga: *is dead*

Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top04-25-2007 05:04:01 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

You gotta feel sorry for movie Touga, after all, he was sold to a pedo. emot-gonk

#9 | Back to Top04-25-2007 06:55:28 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Adolescence of Utena - it's like an amazingly beautiful woman you simply don't understand but keep around just to look at.

On another note, the Adolescence of Utena manga makes much, much more sense.  One of these days I need to buy it to finish my Utena manga collection.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#10 | Back to Top04-25-2007 08:23:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This is the topmost movie thread so I post it here. Remember I was talking about HAY THERE WAS A SHOT IN THE TRAILER WHERE MOVIE AKIO AND UTENA WERE IN THE SAME ROOM. It turns out, it's in the DVD extras. emot-keke

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/LessMovieAkioIsGood.jpg

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#11 | Back to Top04-25-2007 08:53:01 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

angelicreation wrote:

Adolescence of Utena - it's like an amazingly beautiful woman you simply don't understand but keep around just to look at.

On another note, the Adolescence of Utena manga makes much, much more sense.  One of these days I need to buy it to finish my Utena manga collection.

If the movie made perfect, obvious sense, I honestly probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.  Watching it really does not get old.

#12 | Back to Top04-25-2007 09:02:04 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

J-Syxx wrote:

If the movie made perfect, obvious sense, I honestly probably wouldn't enjoy it as much.  Watching it really does not get old.

My thoughts exactly.  This is how much I enjoy trying to deconstruct and intrepret the movie: etc-loveetc-loveetc-lovepoptartpoptartpoptartetc-loveetc-loveetc-lovepoptartpoptartpoptartetc-loveetc-loveetc-lovepoptartpoptartpoptart

emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#13 | Back to Top04-25-2007 10:39:38 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Giovanna wrote:

This is the topmost movie thread so I post it here. Remember I was talking about HAY THERE WAS A SHOT IN THE TRAILER WHERE MOVIE AKIO AND UTENA WERE IN THE SAME ROOM. It turns out, it's in the DVD extras. emot-keke

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … IsGood.jpg

Akio sure knows how to show up when someone's half naked.
Of course, THAT Akio is no good. I wonder what would've happened if series!Akio was in the same room with Utena like that. school-devil

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#14 | Back to Top04-26-2007 08:02:47 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/LessMovieAkioIsGood.jpg

We all know that Utena is in no danger of been sexed up by this Akio, for one thing, she's awake. school-eng101school-sherlock

#15 | Back to Top04-28-2007 10:12:28 PM

Rebel Prince
Mikage Mistruster

angelicreation wrote:

That notion was candy for my brain, what a beautiful/true way to put it! etc-love

#16 | Back to Top04-29-2007 12:27:02 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

To me, the Utena story always seemed to be about growing up, or perceptions of how being young/idealistic feels, and the different angles on it.  For the movie bastard Akio, it seemed like he was supposed to be how alot of teenagers/young college kids view the adults/older people around them.  Slightly bumbling, but still with certain charectaristics they find attractive.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#17 | Back to Top03-02-2009 05:29:51 AM

Nickyhabac
Wakaba Wrangler

Slighty O/T but..regarding the "a-KI-o".
In the very remote possibility that they took it upon themselves to do this it wouldn't really be canon because it was not done in the original Japanese version. I think its just typical "localisation" stupidity that seems inherent in American versions of non-English entertainment.

More than horrible dubbing (which is just a given) one thing that recently riled me was the "editor's" note in the back of the first volume of the English language Utena manga that says something like "There's symbolism packed into every page but you can just ignore all that stuff! It doesn't get in the way of a great story!". emot-gonk

emot-gonk

and emot-gonk

Last edited by Nickyhabac (03-02-2009 06:40:01 AM)

#18 | Back to Top03-02-2009 08:51:05 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

my entire opinion on the movie

the bad
1. Makio---the fuck??
2. Pink Dickmobile at the end?
3. Castle on wheels???
4. Shadow Girls/ Tapes/ Makio dying/ kanae screaming/ WTF
5. Touga's ghost in an elevator?

the good:
1. Beautiful Art.
2. More Detail for character art (espicially touga)
3. I like the student council uniforms in here better.
4. Touga is less of a dick(great butterfly scene)
5. pink speedracer moment.

#19 | Back to Top03-02-2009 02:57:44 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

The Utena movie is just proof that Ikuhara is constantly trippin'. But seriously, as a PA I've seen weirder movies at film festivals. You either love or loathe experimental films like this. To this day I still don't understand the Shiori butterfly scene and I don't care because it's so awesomely surreal. XD

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#20 | Back to Top03-02-2009 04:27:03 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I see the movie as essentially inherently devoid of any real meaning. Ikuhara is a fan of Lynchian interpretation: he wants the symbolism to be subjective, and we can often see he does things just to fuck around with the audience. His very methods of imagery are suggestive rather than explanatory, what with odd close-ups and visual motifs. This is accentuated by the stylistic nature of the movie. The more you attempt to understand it on a conscious rather than a subconscious level, the less cohesive sense it makes.

So, in other words, I call bullshit. emot-tongue

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#21 | Back to Top03-02-2009 06:52:05 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

After spending days meditating on the movie, I believe I've figured it all out. At least, I've figured out what it means to ME. emot-tongue

I'll be posting some stuff in a while, but for the Shiori->Moth scene:

Although they are beautiful, the moths are parasites. They lay their eggs on, and feed on, the cabbages of the field. Shiori is, at bottom, a parasite. She feeds on, and makes use of, those around her. The scene of her becoming the moths in Touga's memory is symbolic of her parasitizing Touga. She wants to use him to attack Juri, and he's agreed to go along with her plans (or so she thinks.)

I once heard Shiori described as "cruelly innocent", and that's the truth. She is vile and evil, but Shiori always, always ends up being used by someone more cunning, whether it be Ruka, Series Akio, or Movie Touga.

Anyway, Ikuhara's commentary supports this. He says that that scene is representative of Shiori's malice and Touga's unhappy childhood memories "blending together". Or in short, Shiori is making use of Touga to achieve her goals...

...but what's really happening is just the opposite. Touga has found a useful tool to advance HIS agenda.

Last edited by Aelanie (03-02-2009 06:54:07 PM)

Board footer