This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-29-2007 02:37:32 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: The Great Body Parting (Videogame Trivia)

Okay, got a new question for you folks!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Sinuses (Double plus resistant to colds and flu!)
Today's question is: In Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, who is the boss of the Ancient Cave? (Bonus points if you know how to defeat it, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you know which sword weapon can be brought in, if you managed to dispatch its owner!)

Get to guessing! You never know what will be next!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#27 | Back to Top04-29-2007 04:30:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Okay, got a new question for you folks!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Sinuses (Double plus resistant to colds and flu!)
Today's question is: In Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, who is the boss of the Ancient Cave? (Bonus points if you know how to defeat it, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you know which sword weapon can be brought in, if you managed to dispatch its owner!)

The boss of the Ancient Cave is the Ancient Slime.  You can actually defeat it two ways: deal a certain amount of damage (10000?) to it in three rounds before it runs away, or wipe out your entire party in the same amount of time.  (Harder than it sounds because the slime does not attack you and heals your party on Rounds 1 and 2.)  I'm not sure which sword weapon you're referring to; I take it you're not thinking of any of the blue-treasure-chest swords?

#28 | Back to Top04-29-2007 05:11:41 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Congrats, satyreyes! You now own my sinuses and 15 Internets. Take good care of them for me!

For the curious, the answers:

For the body part: The Ancient Slime, or "Jelly Juggernaut/Master"
For the Internets: Defeat the Ancient Slime in less than six turns (he gets initiative, aka the hard way) or annihilate your OWN party! (the easier way, take off all your armour.)
For the Poptarts: The Gades Blade, which is won if you can defeat Gades, the Sinistral of Destruction, the first time you face him. Unlikely, as you need to be around level 75 average to do decent damage. Anybody with that much time on their hands building levels should be DEVELOPING games, not PLAYING them! Also, the Gades Blade cannot be found in the Ancient Cave (as far as I know, I've never received it from a blue chest.)

That was the fastest yet. I should come up with tougher questions... Oh, special thanks to Lady Lortab for picking the organ on the auction block!

Last edited by BioKraze (04-29-2007 05:12:16 PM)

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#29 | Back to Top04-29-2007 05:53:54 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Almaser wrote:

Ragnarok, shall we have a toast to Chrono Trigger with our burning poptarts? poptart Cheers!

poptart Cheers!

(Poptarts are made for toasting, after all.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#30 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:16:39 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

WEEEE-HOOOO! Question time!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Inferior Vena Cava (More fun than a barrel of Crazy Straws!)
Today's question is: In Final Fantasy 6, what does Kefka say about freshly captured Magicite? (Bonus points if you know which town he's in as he comments, and 3 Flaming Poptarts for the FULL NAME of the military master he kills in combat in the town's razing!)

#31 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:33:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

WEEEE-HOOOO! Question time!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Inferior Vena Cava (More fun than a barrel of Crazy Straws!)
Today's question is: In Final Fantasy 6, what does Kefka say about freshly captured Magicite? (Bonus points if you know which town he's in as he comments, and 3 Flaming Poptarts for the FULL NAME of the military master he kills in combat in the town's razing!)

Aw heck, I can't believe I don't remember this.  After much head-scratching, I finally remembered the name of the town (though of course I won't spoil it), but I can't remember the quote.  The general sense is "mmm, tastes like chicken," but those are far from his exact words.

Do we ever learn the military master's full name?  I just know his rank and first name.

#32 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:36:59 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well, there are no rules against collaboration with other forum members. If you have access to websites that can readily answer the questions, by all means use them! I don't care how you came across the knowledge, so long as you can post it for all to see.

Though I can see the sense of pride in knowing the knowledge firsthand, especially by playing through the game. And yes, the military master has a last name. It's listed somewhere...somewhat unreliable, though...

Oh yeah, first come first serve! If you can't claim the body part, at least try for the Internets and the Poptarts!

Last edited by BioKraze (04-30-2007 07:37:54 PM)

#33 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:50:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Well, there are no rules against collaboration with other forum members. If you have access to websites that can readily answer the questions, by all means use them! I don't care how you came across the knowledge, so long as you can post it for all to see.

Though I can see the sense of pride in knowing the knowledge firsthand, especially by playing through the game. And yes, the military master has a last name. It's listed somewhere...somewhat unreliable, though...

Oh yeah, first come first serve! If you can't claim the body part, at least try for the Internets and the Poptarts!

What?!?  We're allowed to cheat and look it up, then claim body parts with our ill-gotten knowledge?  Not me!

I remembered it, though!  I'd given up on figuring out what Kefka said, so I went to Google to search.  When I was trying to figure out what to search for, "warm to the touch" popped into my head out of nowhere.  Kefka says the fresh Magicite is "warm to the touch," and he's in Thamasa.  I still don't know Leo's full name.

#34 | Back to Top04-30-2007 07:55:27 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well, you won again, satyreyes. Imperfectly, but with a lot of squeaky clean purity.

You get my Inferior Vena Cava, 5 Internets and poptart (1 Flaming Poptart) because you didn't get the full name.

For the body part: "Ooooh! They're warm to the touch!"
For the Internets: Kefka trashes Thamasa and captures a bunch of Espers as well.
For the Poptarts: The military master is General Leo Cristophe.

Congrats, satyreyes! You now have THREE BioKraze Parts! Keep them answers coming!

#35 | Back to Top04-30-2007 08:02:04 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Ooooh, a shiny new question! Bet you won't get this one!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Superior Vena Cava (Better than the Inferior Vena Cava! Collect 'em both!)
Today's question is: In Super Mario RPG, which boss awards you the rare and valuable Quartz Charm? (Bonus points if you can guess the best armour in the game, useful against him and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you can guess the armour's unique property!)

#36 | Back to Top05-02-2007 08:10:08 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Culex? That thing with the crystals... no idea about the others though.

#37 | Back to Top05-02-2007 02:52:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Hey, you got the main question, allegoriest, and that's what COUNTS! You win my Superior Vena Cava. Take good care of it!

For the body part: Culex, upon his defeat
For the Internets: The "Lazy Shell Armor"
For the Poptarts: Lazy Shell Armor renders its wearer immune to all but the most powerful of magic attacks.

Hmmm...perhaps my questions are too easy. But for the Grand Prize, you'll have to know more than just your console games...you'd better know your MS-DOS games, too! Read my signature and take note of it; it's a clue to the Final Question! Be prepared for the next challenge!

Last edited by BioKraze (05-02-2007 08:41:05 PM)

#38 | Back to Top05-02-2007 03:06:18 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I got a question, and for once it's not RPG related...? Amazing!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Eustachian Tubes (Squicky auditory fun! W00T!)
Today's question is: In Yoshi's Island, what is the name of World 5's secret level? (Bonus points if you know how Kamek attacks, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you know Kamek's "shameful" secret during endgame!)

Last edited by BioKraze (05-02-2007 03:38:56 PM)

#39 | Back to Top05-03-2007 11:53:12 AM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

That game had fun level names~

I'm really just guessing in the dark, but I guess Kamek's Revenge since you said Kamek is the one who attacks. emot-keke;

Did he just swoop down at you the whole time? I might not have finished that level.

I suddenly have a need to replay this game now. So much fun.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#40 | Back to Top05-03-2007 12:00:17 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Congratulations, Red Angel! You now own my Eustachian Tubes and 20 bonus Internets! But nobody got the Poptart question. Take good care of my organs, okay?

For the body part: Level 5-9, "Kamek's Revenge"
For the Internets: He strafes Yoshi on his broomstick throughout the entire level.
For the Poptarts: He's actually the nanny and babysitter for Baby Bowser.

Hmmm...gonna have to come up with more questions...and more organs. I'm running out of obscure organs...

#41 | Back to Top05-03-2007 01:22:51 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Really? That was a secret? aww man.

And awesome. I can put some of these parts to good use in my revamp of my housemate.

*touches fuzzy and gets dizzy*

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#42 | Back to Top05-03-2007 09:48:16 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Ooooh, got a shiny new question for you folks!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Spleen (Surprisingly good condition, too!)
Today's question is: In Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, what special feature does the "Retry" option give you in combat? (Bonus points if you know the exception to the rule, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you know what you get for beating the game on Retry!)

#43 | Back to Top05-07-2007 05:23:47 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

You only have three days left to answer this question, folks! Get to guessing!!

#44 | Back to Top05-10-2007 05:51:35 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

DING! Time Up! Sorry, folks, but that spleen ain't nobody's but MINE! Hoo-ah!

For your curiosity, the answers to the question were:

For the body part: Experience and gold build up four times faster under Retry Mode.
For the Internets: The Ancient Cave is the exception to the rule.
For the Poptarts: Complete Retry Mode to obtain Gift Mode, which is nothing BUT Ancient Cave! Choose your party and slug it out with the Jelly Juggernaut!

Seems I gotta think of better questions again, quiaff? Back to the drawing board once more...

#45 | Back to Top05-10-2007 06:50:29 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Man, I don't know shit about console games!  You need to generalize this thread some so I can win some parts.  I was hoping for an adrenal gland so I could harvest some adrenochrome. school-devil

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#46 | Back to Top05-10-2007 07:10:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

No dice, Stormcrow. Download an emulator and play some SNES and NES games, dammit! You're missing out on a lot of old style fun here! Besides, I have a purpose for this thread...

WARNING! ANGRY RANT ALERT!!

I remember the days when it was gameplay and storyline that made or broke a game's potential success, not intensive graphics. Back in the old days of MS-DOS and Apple IIe, you couldn't do much with graphics because there was a severe memory limit. Even with upper memory managers, it was unheard of to have more than 16 megs of RAM in your system when I was growing up. I lived through the Evolution of the PC, from the Stone Age days of the original IBM PC, all the way through to the Information Age days of Alienware and wireless/nanotechnology proliferation. My first computer was a Packard Bell with a 486 SX chip (the inferior version of the 486, the precursor to Pentium) with 16 megs of RAM and running MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11. The system was so unstable, it couldn't exit DOOM properly, necessitating the use of the reset button to gain control of the system (remember when Ctrl-Alt-Del actually REBOOTED the damn thing instead of bringing up the Task Manager? Probably not.) It completely wiped its own hard drive every third month of the year, requiring us to learn how to reload the entire operating system by ourselves. (Tech support? What the fuck was that, man? Tech support was a waste of your phone bill back then!)

When I got my greedy hands on a system that ran Windows 95, I felt betrayed. When I learned of 98, I was again betrayed. And a third time, when we skipped NT and 2000 and went straight to XP. But I learned to cope. I discovered ways around the NT kernel layout of XP, so I could play my DOS games. The GOOD games. DOOM, Hexen, Heretic, classic Warcraft, even the sleeper hit X-COM. When I discovered emulators, I almost wept with joy. For I once had an NES (it died, sadly) and an SNES, and I missed the chance to play some really good games. Emulators and ROMs are a necessary staple of staving off my boredom, and so I decided to pay tribute (and see if anybody was as smart a cookie at obscure classic gaming trivia as I) by writing up this thread.

END ANRGY RANT. YOU MAY ALL CHEER.

So, until I decide the time has come for the Final Question, I shall only be posting questions from SNES and NES games. Mostly RPGs, as that happens to be my favorite genre of gaming. But keep an eye peeled for other games. Who knows? I just might post a classic PC gaming question you could answer...

#47 | Back to Top05-10-2007 07:26:12 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

BioKraze wrote:

ANGRY RANT!!

Yeah, but you know what really rocked? The Commodore 64! emot-wink

In all seriousness, I think games are actually trending back towards gameplay instead of graphics. Nintendo, at least, is looking to surpass Sony this generation, by having a good, (relatively) cheap console instead of trying to go head to head in raw power. Unfortunately for me, I don't really care for Wii remote based games, but I'm finding a distinct lack of interest in most games lately.

Actually I'm going to shut up now, because I'm not following the console wars in any detail. But I think games like Katamari Damacy prove that original, fun gaming is still a viable route for the future of videogames. And I'm sort of hoping Squarenix will start producing games I can enjoy again.

Last edited by Ragnarok (05-10-2007 07:26:47 PM)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#48 | Back to Top05-10-2007 08:25:25 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, got a new question for you folks! Here we go, once more into the Axis of Time...

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Cochleas (Snail garden ornamentation, anybody?)
Today's question is: In Chrono Trigger at Ozzie's Fort, what item can you Charm or Twin Charm off of Flea Plus? (Bonus points for guessing what part of Flea's outfit you steal in the process, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you can name the other two items you can Charm or Twin Charm from her --yes, I say Flea's a girl despite evidence in Chrono Cross -- allies as well!)

#49 | Back to Top05-10-2007 08:35:25 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

BioKraze wrote:

WARNING! ANGRY RANT ALERT!!

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, here.  In fact, your preaching to the preacher, since I've literally been playing video games since before you were born.  Later this year, I'll acquire a Wii and be able to play all of these console games, but I find it difficult to play them on a PC emulator.  It just feels choppy somehow.  How about some Bard's Tale?  Ultima?  Something? emot-rolleyes

Don't take me seriously, I haven't even been following this thread closely. emot-redface

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#50 | Back to Top05-10-2007 08:46:42 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

To be sure, playing Final Fantasy 6 on an emulator's tough if you're not used to a keyboard. And trying a tough Fatality in Mortal Kombat? Easier to purchase a USB controller and remap the keys. But I've learned to be one with the keyboard. Besides which, my SNES is in storage (I think) and my NES was destroyed by the power of the desert sun -- it refuses to work right unless you're VERY patient with it and aren't playing a game that uses Save RAM (SRAM) to store progress data. For once, Mega Man passwords have their place!

But I'm very stubborn when it comes to DOS games, particularly ones that few have heard of. Nobody on this board has heard of the alien hunting game X-COM: UFO Defense. If you have, you have my admiration. If you've played it, you have my total respect. Maybe I'll make a thread about it in GD when I get the chance...

And after that rant, I feel better knowing that there are others out there that have lived the Evolution of the PC. I'm just a Simple-Lifer hoping for the good old days when the story drove a game, not the sprites.

Board footer