This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-01-2010 06:33:48 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

I decided that we were cluttering up the Shopping thread with makeup tips, so I made this thread. Now hold still while I linkspam you.

EyeshadowSluts @ LiveJournal--the only LJ makeup community I've bothered with. I'm sure there are better ones, but this is the one I read.

Also, Jezebel is doing a weekly-ish series called Beauty 101. So far, they've covered eyeliner, foundation, and concealer.

And I will probably post a few of my personal hooker-tastic eyeshadow looks when I'm less lazy. (I don't do "natural", "neutral", "me--only better" looks. My makeup gun is permanently set on "whore".)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#2 | Back to Top04-01-2010 07:20:43 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

hahaha sounds like my top collection...damn near every thing not tee-shirt or work related is low cut; or can be arranged to show cleavage.

Anyway back to the point any any good advise on removing scars and dark spots?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#3 | Back to Top04-01-2010 07:45:49 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

My makeup style is usually foundation, black eyeliner and eye-color-enhancing mascara with some sheer sparkly lipgloss.  It doesn't go much further than that.  xD

@ Raven Nightshade;

You say your makeup stile is whore?
Go here:  http://www.mookychick.co.uk/body/makeup/

The makeup tips there are whore with a cherry on top.

#4 | Back to Top04-01-2010 07:56:12 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

etc-love

I was considering making a thread kindof like this, an IRG dress up thread were those who were looking for advice could post pictures of themselves (wearing simple, form-revealing clothing so we could get an idea of their body type) with height, budget, goal or other relevant info and other members could give them tips or ideas of clothes to wear (with yummy links) or close-ups of their faces or eyes for advice or or make-up ideas.  Depending on what people were comfortable with, I would either put it in General or IFD due to pictureness.

Male IRGers would be most welcome - I'm sure Gio has plenty to share on flattering suits, and I for one think men need to wear more dresses. 

In more relevant things, I was wondering if anyone hear had tried that new foundation that comes with what appears to be a mini-paint roller.  Does that even work?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-01-2010 07:57:14 PM)

#5 | Back to Top04-01-2010 08:33:54 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

In more relevant things, I was wondering if anyone hear had tried that new foundation that comes with what appears to be a mini-paint roller.  Does that even work?

My mom has that and I've tried it, and it seems to work pretty well.  The only thing I'd say against it is constantly having to go back and get new foundation to completely cover.  But yeah, it's pretty good I suppose.  emot-keke

#6 | Back to Top04-02-2010 10:41:37 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

What a GREAT thread. I sadly get all my makeup tips from Michelle Phan. I love her tutorials and her voice is so soothing. emot-rolleyes

#7 | Back to Top04-02-2010 12:21:33 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

My make-up is as far from neutral as you can get, so I'm not sure how practical my advice will be. emot-rofl But this is fabulous! We really have needed this thread for a while now.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#8 | Back to Top04-02-2010 12:29:43 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

I need to know who did Porl King's eyeliner and how. Because I'm really jealous of how cool that looks. etc-love It looks like liquid liner, but I've never seen it that thick and close to the eye.

(But it might just be his eyeshape, or the black and white that brings it out so much.)

#9 | Back to Top04-02-2010 04:18:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dollface wrote:

My make-up is as far from neutral as you can get, so I'm not sure how practical my advice will be. emot-rofl But this is fabulous! We really have needed this thread for a while now.

Your make is on a large scale how I like to wear mine. Alas I'm too old and crusty for really jawesome stuff like you do, but I'd love any advice you'd have on applying liners and shadows and selecting colors. The last is very hard for me because I honestly don't know the rules for skin tones and eye colors and such. I just know which colors I like and wear those, though so far no one's told me I'm clashing. I've actually been toying with the mineral shadows lately because except for MAC, I find eyeshadows deceptively not colorful enough--no matter how they look in the jar, wet or not, they're just pale and boring.

I should probably learn a couple basics with neutrals since working as nurse requires both I look rested and not like a Christmas tree (squares).

But I'd be SUPER DUPER interested in learning more about applying Arabic-style makeup. You know, the super-dramatic eyeshadows and such. etc-love etc-love etc-love I'd probably just look like a dorky white cracker but man that stuff is beautiful.

As far as what I can offer? Um...I know men's suits? emot-frown I'm a pretty big jewelry nerd, and I happen to know that THE BEST TREATMENT FOR YOUR HAIR IS SLATHERING IT IN OLIVE OIL NO JOKE. Don't waste your money on other shit.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top04-02-2010 05:19:36 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

etc-love

I was considering making a thread kindof like this, an IRG dress up thread were those who were looking for advice could post pictures of themselves (wearing simple, form-revealing clothing so we could get an idea of their body type) with height, budget, goal or other relevant info and other members could give them tips or ideas of clothes to wear (with yummy links) or close-ups of their faces or eyes for advice or or make-up ideas.  Depending on what people were comfortable with, I would either put it in General or IFD due to pictureness.

I would LOVE a thread like this. Very, very much.

#11 | Back to Top04-02-2010 05:53:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ditto. I've been told I'm actually very good at dressing people in general, though I rarely listen to my own advice. Saionji Syndrome. I can't look objectively at myself to save my life.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#12 | Back to Top04-05-2010 08:39:58 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I have come to the realization that I have not been properly documenting my makeup escapades. Therefore, you only get this one.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/EbonieRose/P1010256.jpg

Bear in mind that I now realize that fuchsia is only an acceptable highlight/browbone color in 1987....even though I just did this 6 months ago. I also didn't use any primer or base underneath, and that I'm shiny as fuck.

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

hahaha sounds like my top collection...damn near every thing not tee-shirt or work related is low cut; or can be arranged to show cleavage.

Anyway back to the point any any good advise on removing scars and dark spots?

The only thing i can think of offhand is cocoa butter. I've been told it works pretty good for stretch marks, which are essentially tiny scars anyway, so I figure the mechanics are the same. Google also says to try Vitamin E oil and/or tea tree oil,

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (04-05-2010 09:06:40 PM)

#13 | Back to Top04-11-2010 12:17:12 AM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

What an interesting thread. I used to take a lot of time on my face, but these days we're lucky is I take care of my oily skin. (sigh)
I guess this is what happens when you have nowhere to go, and no one cares what you look like. emot-rolleyes

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#14 | Back to Top04-12-2010 12:40:01 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I bought the Urban Decay Primer Potion today. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can try it out emot-biggrin I'll post pics if I have some good results.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#15 | Back to Top12-14-2010 04:20:53 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Necro-ed! emot-biggrin

I'm totally clueless about make-up, but my mother has offered to buy me some products from Sephora as a Christmas gift, and I have no idea what to ask for. I have the neutral basics I wear almost everyday: concealer, powder foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeliner and mascara. Some are better quality, some are cheaper, but overall these work and I don't need new ones. I borrow my roommate's nail polish on special days, and I can't stand wearing any product on my lips.

My question is, what kind of product could I ask for in order to have some more variety? I have been thinking of asking for a face primer (the Too Faced one, maybe), but I have never used anything like this and I don't know how practical they are, nor if their effect is actually noticeable. I think I understand that you apply this on its own or under your foundation and gives the impression of smoother, poreless skin - is it actually true? I could use this, that's for sure, but I'm afraid of blowing away my money in something I'm not going to use.

Also, I think that some eyeshadow would be in order, but I guess that the best thing I can do about this is going to the store and trying several shades until I find one I like and that I can wear pretty much everywhere. I must ask, though: has anyone around ever used Make Up Forever's Aqua Eyes pencils? Can they be used as eyeshadow too, especially the lighter shades?

#16 | Back to Top12-14-2010 05:16:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I've been wanting to start wearing more make-up in order to look more polished and professional -but I suck at it and have never really worn any for any extended period of time.  I hate stuff touching my face because with my acne the thought of applying a layer of potentially pore-clogging cream to it grosses me out -but I do want to conceal my acne.  I also have dark circles under my eyes to deal with.  Does anyone have any advice on types of light, non pore-clogging foundations, concealers or powders that would do the trick?  Preferably ones that also last a awhile or are, I guess you could say hygienic -  I hear make-up can grow bacteria after awhile, which is another reason I rarely buy or use it.  emot-gonk  Finally, I have green eyes (on the darker side), medium brown hair, thick, dark eyebrows, long lashes that clump easily, darker-toned lips and paler skin.  Any good advice on colors?

#17 | Back to Top12-15-2010 07:35:05 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Asfalolh wrote:

I'm totally clueless about make-up, but my mother has offered to buy me some products from Sephora as a Christmas gift, and I have no idea what to ask for. I have the neutral basics I wear almost everyday: concealer, powder foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeliner and mascara. Some are better quality, some are cheaper, but overall these work and I don't need new ones. I borrow my roommate's nail polish on special days, and I can't stand wearing any product on my lips.

My question is, what kind of product could I ask for in order to have some more variety? I have been thinking of asking for a face primer (the Too Faced one, maybe), but I have never used anything like this and I don't know how practical they are, nor if their effect is actually noticeable. I think I understand that you apply this on its own or under your foundation and gives the impression of smoother, poreless skin - is it actually true? I could use this, that's for sure, but I'm afraid of blowing away my money in something I'm not going to use.

Also, I think that some eyeshadow would be in order, but I guess that the best thing I can do about this is going to the store and trying several shades until I find one I like and that I can wear pretty much everywhere. I must ask, though: has anyone around ever used Make Up Forever's Aqua Eyes pencils? Can they be used as eyeshadow too, especially the lighter shades?

Are you going to do this online or in-store?(Spain has 18 Sephoras, FYI)  I'd just go to the store and play around with stuff until you find something you like.

If you want to do foundation primer, which I'm indifferent towards, go for Too Faced or Make Up Forever. I fell in lust with MUFE's HD foundation, but I feel silly paying $40 for it.

If you want eyeshadow, you need two colors: one for your lid, another for highlight/browbone. The highlight color should be neutral, but it doesn't matter if it's sparkly or not. Also, if you don't have an eyeshadow brush already, get one.

#18 | Back to Top12-15-2010 07:56:59 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I've been wanting to start wearing more make-up in order to look more polished and professional -but I suck at it and have never really worn any for any extended period of time.  I hate stuff touching my face because with my acne the thought of applying a layer of potentially pore-clogging cream to it grosses me out -but I do want to conceal my acne.  I also have dark circles under my eyes to deal with.  Does anyone have any advice on types of light, non pore-clogging foundations, concealers or powders that would do the trick?  Preferably ones that also last a awhile or are, I guess you could say hygienic -  I hear make-up can grow bacteria after awhile, which is another reason I rarely buy or use it.  emot-gonk  Finally, I have green eyes (on the darker side), medium brown hair, thick, dark eyebrows, long lashes that clump easily, darker-toned lips and paler skin.  Any good advice on colors?

There are other forumites far better suited to giving you color advice. However, I like mineral-based foundation. It's light and doesn't clog up my pores. As for bacteria, I've heard that they can live in your brushes and cause breakouts, so be sure to invest in a brush cleaner as well. I bought my brush cleaner from Sephora and quite a few brands use mineral-based foundation (the one I use is called Mineral Wear, but it has trouble staying on throughout the day).

Asfa wrote:

I have been thinking of asking for a face primer (the Too Faced one, maybe), but I have never used anything like this and I don't know how practical they are, nor if their effect is actually noticeable.

The one primer I tried was from NARS, and it made a difference. It seals up the cracks in your skin (small as they are) so your foundation sits evenly and the antioxidants in it prevent your foundation from going orangey. However it is expensive and I've heard it doesn't take to non-NARS foundation kindly. I also couldn't justify buying it because I tend to save makeup for special occasions.

I agree with Raven, defs go into Sephora and play around with what you like.

#19 | Back to Top12-16-2010 05:09:21 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Thank you to you both! etc-love
I'll try to go to the mega Sephora store next to my college at some point next week, even though I feel quite silly and out of place when I'm there. I'll write down your advice, because I'm afraid the salesperson could talk me into buying many things I don't actually need. emot-tongue

As a final question, have you ever used an eyelash curler? I wear mascara way too often (my eyelids do not like it), and I was thinking that it could be a good substitute, but my roommate says they never worked for her...

#20 | Back to Top12-16-2010 11:50:18 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Asfalolh wrote:

I'll try to go to the mega Sephora store next to my college at some point next week, even though I feel quite silly and out of place when I'm there. I'll write down your advice, because I'm afraid the salesperson could talk me into buying many things I don't actually need. emot-tongue

When I was in Houston, I spent a lot of time at Sephora trying stuff on. The salespeople will constantly ask if you need help or anything, and I tell them "I'm just looking, thanks" or some iteration thereof. As for feeling out-of-place, just act like you're supposed to be there. This is just good advice no matter where you are.

As a final question, have you ever used an eyelash curler? I wear mascara way too often (my eyelids do not like it), and I was thinking that it could be a good substitute, but my roommate says they never worked for her...

Just in general, your mileage may vary. I've used them, and I find them helpful. My eyelashes have very little upward curl to them, and some even stick straight out or even curl downward. Using an eyelash curler actually keeps them up and out of the way.

Also, if you use mascara, don't curl until after you apply it. Yes, some of it will come off, but that's okay. You're also supposed to pump the curler a few times instead of just doing it once or twice.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I hate stuff touching my face because with my acne the thought of applying a layer of potentially pore-clogging cream to it grosses me out -but I do want to conceal my acne.

Well, "potentially" is the key word here. A lot of the pore-clogging can be avoided by being incredibly thorough when you wash it off.

Syora's got you covered on product recs, so I'll skip ahead. I will say this, though. Go online and hunt for free samples, since I know you're living on the cheap. Some mineral makeup brands are expensive as fuck.

I hear make-up can grow bacteria after awhile, which is another reason I rarely buy or use it.  emot-gonk

It does, but that's part of the package. Powders take longer than liquids do for the same reason that flour doesn't go bad as fast as milk does. There are multiple flaws in that parallel, however, since human skin is dirtier than the average measuring cup.

Anyway, as a general rule, you have to start checking the wetter stuff after about 3 months (mascara, liquid foundations, liquid lip glosses) for changes in smell, color, and consistency. That's how you know it's starting to turn on you. Your mascara is especially important because eye infections are bad, m'kay. Also, eyeliners, regardless of composition, are a constant hazard from the first use simply because it's your eye.

Finally, I have green eyes (on the darker side), medium brown hair, thick, dark eyebrows, long lashes that clump easily, darker-toned lips and paler skin.  Any good advice on colors?

Well, if you want to take the easy way out, Wet-n-Wild and Almay have eyeshadow kits for specific eye colors. I'd just use those at first. I honestly don't believe too much in "X eyes should wear Y eyeshadow", so I'd just play around with it.  The only hard recommendation I have is to buy a nude/natural color for your highlight/browbone. If it almost disappears on you when you try it on, then that's it.

As for lip color, that's a bit more complicated because your complexion factors in a bit. I'd just start with finding a lip color that comes close to your natural lip tone and branch out from there. I get the feeling, though, that you won't do well with blue-toned pinks and reds.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (12-16-2010 12:35:42 PM)

#21 | Back to Top12-17-2010 07:07:00 PM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

This could be fun, i usually do not wear make up, but i do know alot about regular and theater make up. So if any one has any question i will try my best to answer them!

#22 | Back to Top01-01-2011 05:45:20 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Asfalolh wrote:

An eyelash curler does work for me, but then I also use mascara with it along with falsies from time to time...the difference is a curl but it's not all that noticeable unless your lashes are pin-straight or grow down. You could try squeezing the eyelash curler at the lash roots and then pumping the curler as you move outward towards the ends emot-smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#23 | Back to Top01-01-2011 07:07:41 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

It was my first time using eye liner last night in this crazy blue color, thanks dollface, with blue eye shadow. If I have any decent pics from last night I'll post them I fear that I looked like a clown and I would like tips on making eye shadow last longer. I tend to be one that only wears make-up for special/party occasions and it takes me forever to apply the damn stuff.

emot-gonk I just reviewed the pictures from last night and realized that I look like Mimi from the Drew Carry show...FML.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#24 | Back to Top01-01-2011 11:05:15 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

lex wrote:

An eyelash curler does work for me, but then I also use mascara with it along with falsies from time to time...the difference is a curl but it's not all that noticeable unless your lashes are pin-straight or grow down. You could try squeezing the eyelash curler at the lash roots and then pumping the curler as you move outward towards the ends emot-smile

Thank you! My lashes are quite pin-straight, actually, so I included an eyelash curler in my list along with some more make-up; now I need to wait until the Epiphany (6th of January) to see what my mother got me. Christmas is not over yet in this part of the world, which is exciting! Once I have some more money (I blew it all on presents) I might go buy myself an eyelash curler in case she got me something else. emot-keke

#25 | Back to Top01-04-2011 04:43:16 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

You are so welcome Asfa emot-smile emot-smile etc-love

Sexing Primer. Primer. Locks in moisture and keeps eyeshadow from fading which is what you don't want. I think on this thread people have already mentioned great Primers. One of the ones I use is from Sephora, just a basic eye shadow primer. I apply it from lash line to brow bone. But if you don't have the money for primer yet as it can be a bit expensive, chapstick will actually work, just make sure its not like cherry or some other tinted one. Also blue eyeshadow although incredibly gorgeous is incredibly difficult to pull it off without looking like Mimi, I would say Sexing to make sure if you're going to be brazen and rock the blue shadow, everything else on the face needs to be neutral. Neutral lips, neutral blush (or forgo the blush).  I would love to see the pictures to get a better idea but only if you like etc-love

Primer and Other Makeupy Good Stuff

Last edited by lex (01-04-2011 04:46:58 PM)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

Board footer