This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-18-2006 08:46:12 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

The Best Scenes in Utena...

Hokey...

So I was rewatching all the Utena DVDs I have (I have the two Setoukai arc DVDs, the first of the Black Rose arc DVDs ((getting the whole set for christmas w00t!))  & the movie), & I was thinkin' about what mah favorite scenes be.

Here's my little list of listyness, in no particular order,

The last scene of the first Touga battle episode... (don't know how to word this properly... but it's very tearful & I usually end up crying, myself)
The last few scenes of the second Touga battle episode... (go Utena GO!)
The second to last scene of Kozue's episode... (it's so cuuuute...)
Any scenes that include Akio & car...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#2 | Back to Top12-18-2006 08:59:34 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Re: The Best Scenes in Utena...

1. ALL ELEPHANT SCENES.
2. End of Juri's second duel (locket!shatterJurireaction!!)
3. The scene of Utena just before the Swords of Hate reassemble and get her.

...just to list a few of many.

#3 | Back to Top12-18-2006 09:12:50 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

My hands down favourite scene is "we finally meet!" but the one moment that always sends shivers down my spine is the moment Akio approaches the Rose Gate with Utena's sword in hand. Anthy, standing to sacrifice, Utena watching helplessly...and the sound of the swords of hate growing and growing and growing...and then BAM Missing Link kicks in. Always does my head in, that scene. emot-biggrin

In less traumatising favourite moments, Nanami beating up Saionji over an egg WINS. The fact he's wearing a frilly frippy yellow apron at the time is just icing on the cake, really.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top12-18-2006 09:25:17 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Oh, my favorite scenes, in no particular order:

Wakaba's duel -- especially the end of the duel.

The end of Juri's second duel (the one with Ruka).

Kozue drawing Miki's sword.

Nanami's ride in the Akio car.

#5 | Back to Top12-18-2006 01:12:54 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

[[no order]]

~Shiori's elevator ride [So emotional!]
~Any sword drawing of the Black Rose Duellists [Especially Wakaba, she makes it seem so painful!]
~Wakaba when she's going to slit Utena's throat [Go Wakaba! errr...]
~After Nanami's first duel, when she's still fighting Utena [Gives me chills]
~Any AkioxAnthyness whatsoever [Don't ask don't tell]
~When Nanami finds Keiko with Touga in the garden [O.O]
~When Anthy vanishes from her dress in the last episode [SO awesome]
~Utena in her Rose Bride gown while Dios is on the merry-go-round thing [....I don't even know why I love that]

BUT THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST SCENE IN ALL OF SKU???

~In episode 38 [End Of The World], when Anthy and Utena finally see Akio in the arena. Utena is going to become Akio's princess and ANTHY'S EYES ROLL BACK IN HER HEAD!! That scares the hell out of me every time! The fainting//vanishing is awesome too, but the eyes are just creepy as fuck! emot-aaa

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#6 | Back to Top12-18-2006 02:04:08 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

TOP FAVE:
--Episode 37: The cantarella scene. Do I even need to explain? This is, in my opinion, absolutely the best scene in the entire series. It is far too perfect for words.

Other contenders:
--Episode 23: Mikage's duel scene. SO GOOD. The way the back story is finally uncovered, the way it cuts off, the song--the way he keeps calling her Tokiko, the hand-switch--and I love the lil' dancing motion he and Utena do around 18:02-ish.
--Episode 38: Well, really, the whole episode is so fantastic and perfect...but the part I love the best is when Akio is talking to Utena and the space keeps shifting and then she's sitting in the Black Rose elevator with her rose bride dress on a manican next to her--that image is so strong and effective, to me, I really love it. (Also the spacial shifts when Utena and Akio are dueling, leading up the to stab--that whole part is so good.)
--Episode 39: Missing Link. I don't think I need to say anything else. T_T <---me when I watch that scene emot-redface
--Episode 32: The scene with Nanami and Touga riding in Akio's car. I wish I could explain what exactly it is about this bit that I enjoy so much, but I can't really explain it. I just love it. It hits me RIGHT HERE ---> etc-love
--Episode 29: Juri's second duel scene. Just...the whole thing. It really, really impresses me. I love how the music fits with the motion, the cross-cutting, and especially the major shot-shot-shot bit where her necklace breaks. Utterly fantastic in every way. Usually I cry. (Episode 28's duel scene with Ruka gets an honorary mention here. I love it a lot also--Ruka's my favorite character, incidentally [fun little-known Nessy fact of the day!], and I'm really a fan of the way he teases Utena during their duel.)
ETC ETC ETC

Umm I'll narrow this list down better and add more once I rewatch the series again, because I just KNOW I'm forgetting something very dear to my heart. It's been too long. emot-gonk

Last edited by Nessy (12-18-2006 02:08:34 PM)

#7 | Back to Top12-19-2006 03:49:31 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'm in love with the very begining of the movie. (You know... that scene where everything goes by reeeeally fast...)

Anthy looking at the constellation charts while Akio and Utena are off to bring action to a clip episode.

The Virtual Star elevator ending

The projector breaking during Akio and Utena's duel

The silhouettes of the swords stabbing Anthy on red screens

Utena tugging at Anthy's dress for help but it jsut falls to the floor

I can't think of anymore for the life of me, but I know there's more. >_<

#8 | Back to Top12-19-2006 01:33:02 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

I'm a big fan of Juri scenes. One of my fave scenes is when Utena comments on how pretty Juri is saying she could be a model or something and Juri just frowns.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#9 | Back to Top12-19-2006 11:03:22 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

My favorites:

1. When Utena pulls Anthy from the rooftop, and they have a mutual confession.
2. The entire last episode, especially noting the "Anthy's eye roll" and the "finally we meet" adding, "when Anthy's crying of joy".
3. Nanami anytime she's with her egg.
4. When Utena loses Anthy to Touga.... oh the devastation.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#10 | Back to Top12-20-2006 04:35:05 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

There are so many to choose from, and so many that I won't even get a chance to mention. Keep in mind that this isn't in any specific order.

1.) Though I love just about any scene with Shiori in it, my two favorites are her elevator scene and her duel scene.

2.) Miki's duel with Kozue as his Rose Bride. More specifically, I love the part where Anthy and Kozue are riding in the car together. Anthy, Kozue, and a deeper symbolic meaning all in one scene... It doesn't get much better than that. (Throw Shiori in there and I'll be in heaven.)

3.) The scene where Nanami killed the kitten... Does that make me a bad person? During the clipshow of her duel, that scene combined with her duel song is just amazing. I feel like crying every time I see it.

4.) The last two episodes are so amazing that I admire every scene in it, though some deserve special mention. I love when Anthy vanishes from her dress at the start of the song Missing Link. Even now, just thinking of Anthy getting stabbed with all of those swords sends chills through me. I cried during the "We meet at last scene," the first time I saw it, which is amazing, because I almost never actually cry while watching anime.

5.) Seeing Juri and Shiori fencing together is my favorite scene. It's just so cute... e_e

#11 | Back to Top12-20-2006 06:50:12 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Frosty wrote:

My favorites:

1. When Utena pulls Anthy from the rooftop, and they have a mutual confession.
Yes, finally, about time!
2. The entire last episode, especially noting the "Anthy's eye roll" and the "finally we meet" adding, "when Anthy's crying of joy".
Add Anthy walking across the threshold and cue "Rose and Release" music
3. Nanami anytime she's with her egg.
Especially Nanami bathing with the egg in the head towel. Priceless.
4. When Utena loses Anthy to Touga.... oh the devastation.
Yes, love the Utena moping, what a drama queen.

That's my list exactly except that I'd also add:
5. Badminton scene from Ep 37 with Utena, Miki, and Juri (with Anthy, Kozue, and Shiori watching). Brilliant!
6. Cantarella scene Ep 37...the quintessential SKU conversation.
7. "blue scene" Ep. 23 when Utena wakes up to find Anthy holding her hand and then she holds Anthy's in return...awww, sweet.

and, although I don't like what's going on in the scene, I recognize its brilliance...
8. The last 5 minutes of Ep 33 Utena losing her virginity and the recap of the Anthy/Akio phone conversation revealing that Anthy
    has pimped out her best friend to her brother and regrets it...wow.

Last edited by Dani (12-20-2006 06:52:06 PM)

#12 | Back to Top12-21-2006 12:39:25 AM

Shsway
New Student

dollface wrote:

~When Anthy vanishes from her dress in the last episode [SO awesome]

That's pretty much what I say every time I see that, even during the second, repeating ascension sequence.

You know what I really love from the movie? The second Utena/Anthy kiss. Honestly, I think it's hot, despite being shown as a silhouette. emot-keke

OK, OK, series again.

- The end of the battle against Wakaba is pretty moving stuff.
- That moment between Utena and Anthy (I'm guessing episode thirty...six) in the rose garden, just before she's about to remember something important about the two of them...poop Akio interrupting.
- Utena's first scene in the series (?) where you first see her walking down that hallway, with a somewhat stylized look.
- That moment in ep. 12 where Anthy's eyes widen in realization, as she watches the second Utena/Touga battle. BANG - the significance of the other girls efforts and a personal memory make themselves evident. Tear.
- Touga telling Saionji to sit his butt down so that he won't fall off the motorbike that they're riding on. emot-biggrin
- That one shot in ep. 1 where you see Wakaba react to her letter to Saionji being read aloud...the single tear.
- The rose petals scattering around Utena and Anthy when they stand together, just before the later duels.
- Same deal in the movie, as the wind makes everything rustly during their first meeting. Too bad that the sound effects on the hair are just whack in this scene.
- Utena standing in the "sunlit garden" with Anthy (ep. 26), telling her that she expected more. I love how neither
- Akio nor Anthy seemed to get her meaning, followed by an interesting moment where Akio feels he must ask Anthy what she thinks of the pink-haired one.

Ack, stop me. I could go on and on...

Last edited by Shsway (12-21-2006 01:01:41 AM)

#13 | Back to Top12-21-2006 01:33:35 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

faves of mine.

~ the "fake" scene of Touga and Anthy with their love plot to kill Nanami!
i kinda cringe when Anthy says (in the dub) "Yes, Touga my love." or something to that effect. *shiver*

~ Utena slapping Saionji to wake him up after she finds him face down in the water by the gates to the arena. thats good!

~ "Dona Dona." watching Touga ship Nanami off to the slaughter house and then sitting in front of the huge steak! XD
  "Time to eat!"

And last but not least
~ Touga sitting in his room listning to the recordings of himself saying the chick speech! it was sad...but oh so him to do that.

*pat pat* its ok Touga, Akio will be over soon enough to end your pain...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#14 | Back to Top12-21-2006 02:04:58 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

And last but not least
~ Touga sitting in his room listning to the recordings of himself saying the chick speech! it was sad...but oh so him to do that.

AAAAH, I forgot that one. I love that so much.
I won't lie, there are only 2 SKU characters that I don't much like, and Touga is one of them. But that scene was still brilliant.

I noticed I forgot a few others:

~Cantarella. We all love it, but I really think it sums the relationship between Utena and Anthy up quite nicely. All relationships in SKU really. Poison within a sweet cookie. Hide your evil behind your good.

~In Miki's episode I believe...one of the latter....I'm gonna guess 26ish. Anyway, when Akio is with Anthy, and he just grabs her and pulls her, breaking the china. This scene seems so much more emotional than at first glance to me.

~MRS.OHTORI. This scene twists my mind into so many shapes. You have to give Akio his props. school-devil

~Episooooode...uh....33? Lets go with that. ANYWAY, when Akio and Utena are doing the horizontal tango, and Utena is whining about food and the such. At first, I though this was just crazy, but the look on her face when she turns to him and asks "What is eternity?" OH GOD. I nearly pissed myself. This was just amazing.

~ROFL@Touga and Saionji on the motorbike emot-biggrin

~The candles. Whenever I see Anthy holding those damn candles I jump for the door. When they all finally went out, and you saw her holding them, I literally crawled up into my seat and pointed at the screen and yelled "OH SHIT!"

~Anthy as Miki+Kozue's "new mother". Can you say MILF?

~When Akio comes to "borrow" Utena from Anthy, in episode...uuh...34? 35? somewhere in that general area. ANYWAY, as they're leaving the garden, Anthy smiles and waves, but once they're gone her face completely drops into anguish and wrath. The REAL Anthy if you ask me.

~Shadow Girls no doubt. I love them. But one of my favorite SG plays has to be in episode 9.
"But its alright, I know now"
"Know what?"
"That wizards....and faeries....and princes on white horses....and kind-hearted, true friends..."
"They're just fantasies"
"But its alright...we know that now..."

This isn't as sly and metaphorical as the Shadow Girls usually are, but it still chills me. I love the symbolism the SGs bring, but this play...I don't know. It's one I can never forget.

god, why do I always write a friggin novel?

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#15 | Back to Top12-21-2006 09:40:35 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Agreed, the true friendship plays are my favorites of all the shadow girl's play's. Second is Tokiko's encounter with C-Ko.

Another thing since episode 21 I had liked the character of Keiko and sort of angry that they just dropped it like nothing happened. But the way they finally resolved it in Episode 32 was magnificent they just make it seem like Touga's talking to a normal girl in the Rose Garden, but then,  as the camera show's that it's Keiko... I was just ecstatic, the way it's done from there was also some of my favorites.

Mikage's Duel, already explained much better elsewhere

Episode 39, Anthy coffin scene, explained better elsewhere.

Episode 37 the way Utena tears up Akio's letter, the way it is done it is just magnificent, pure magnificence... How Anthy could seem to care less (or perhaps that is a sign of real happiness on her face?) and Utena's face is covered by her hair.

Cantarella... yeah

- Touga telling Saionji to sit his butt down so that he won't fall off the motorbike that they're riding on.
Actually I had always taken this scene as Touga telling Saionji that oipen rebellion against Akio will only end up getting himself hurt in some way.

The Dios scene is the final Episode, (I still have some problems expcepting things one way or the other)

Sanada , Tanaka's, and Suzuki's appearance in the movie, I cracked up the first time I realized it was those three!

#16 | Back to Top11-17-2009 01:59:15 AM

minervana
High Tripper

1. The montage in Episode 20 of Wakaba getting involved in sports, science experiments, and so on, interposed with Saionji looking and acting like a normal human being.

2. Chibi-Utena telling Akio/Dios "Then I'll do it! I'll become a prince!!!"

3. Utena pushing Akio away as she heads towards the Rose Gate. This moment is simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting.

#17 | Back to Top11-24-2009 11:26:01 AM

Mellow Morte
Saionji Slapper

minervana wrote:

Utena pushing Akio away as she heads towards the Rose Gate. This moment is simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting.

I like this one too.

So, my favourites are:

I. Episode 36. Touga says Utena that he loves her.
II. Episode 36. The last fight between Utena and Touga.
III. Episode 39. Utena finally reaches Anthy's coffin.
IV. Episode 8. Saionji passes Utena his diary.
V. Ep 16. Nanami's dream.
VI. Ruka and Juri are standing in the rain after the duel. "It's nothing, Juri. It's nothing"...

Board footer