This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-08-2010 08:45:15 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Re: The Troubleshooting Thread [for computers, etc]

Well, unfortunately, my computer doesn't have a disc drive so there were no CDs included.  And none can be used either, obviously. As for the installation codes, I have no clue where they might be or what they might be, I didn't get the computer up and running.  But I still have the contents of the box, if anything in there can help at all.  emot-gonk

#27 | Back to Top06-08-2010 08:55:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

That makes this a bit harder. Grab the box, it might have something we need in it.

Otherwise I can try to get the computer running through safe mode and all that, but it's not looking good if we don't have cd access...

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top06-08-2010 08:57:01 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Ugh, honestly, it's not looking good at all...

On the phone yesterday Muhammed and I went through all that... safe mode, using Roxio restore, fucking with the BIOS, taking out the motherfucking memory card even, but nothing worked.  emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

#29 | Back to Top06-08-2010 09:01:12 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well, we'll see if there's anything at all we can do with what we have. If not, I can at least give suggestions for what you need to do to fix it.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#30 | Back to Top06-08-2010 09:37:52 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Thanks again for all the help.  emot-smile
I'll borrow a flash drive for sure.  emot-biggrin

#31 | Back to Top06-08-2010 09:41:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Trip report: winksniper's voice is adorable, and her computer is annoying. Also, I'm pretty sure I can work with a flash drive, I'll get everything set up for you and then call, maybe tomorrow.

#32 | Back to Top06-08-2010 10:34:32 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Haha, most important thing-- I need to find out if your computer can boot from a flash drive. It should say whether you can or not in your BIOS (there should be a list of devices you can boot from, and what order your computer tries to boot from them in. Flash drive or USB drive should be listed there). If you can check that, I'd much appreciate it.

Edit for real instructions:

1. Access BIOS.
2. Select the Advanced tab using the right and left arrow keys.
3. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Boot Order .
4. Check for USB Drive, Flash Drive, Optical Drive, or something similar in there.

If you can't find it there, post the entire list and I'll see if there's some wording for it that I'm forgetting right now.

Last edited by Yasha (06-08-2010 10:48:17 PM)

#33 | Back to Top06-09-2010 08:41:22 AM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Okay, I'll definitely check out the BIOS thingy, but I'd wait a few days to call again (Or earlier) because I don't know when I'll get hold of a flash drive (shouldn't be long, but you never know).  I'll keep you updated.  emot-smile
Edit: GOT ONE.

Okay, here's the BIOS info:

Turns out my BIOS is giving me no "Advanced" tab.  But in System Configuration, there's Boot Options, and there is gives me this:

f10 and f12 Delay
Internal Network Adapter Boot
Boot Device Priority

And in Boot device Priority:

1st Boot device  [SATA:PM-ST9160314A]

Last edited by winksniper (06-09-2010 03:36:06 PM)

#34 | Back to Top06-09-2010 06:14:41 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

winksniper wrote:

And in Boot device Priority:

1st Boot device  [SATA:PM-ST9160314A]

....is there anything else in there? Anything at all?

#35 | Back to Top06-09-2010 06:30:35 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Nope.  emot-gonk
Edit:  Then again, that's w/o the flash drive.  Should I plug that in next time?

Last edited by winksniper (06-09-2010 06:31:10 PM)

#36 | Back to Top06-09-2010 06:34:37 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Try it.... but if it only ever has that in the boot list, then that computer can't boot to anything else... which shoots us right out of the water emot-gonk

#37 | Back to Top06-09-2010 06:39:31 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

emot-biggrin
I think we've hit good luck, because when I plugged it in and entered the BIOS, it also had :

2nd Boot Device [USB:Generic USB F1]

#38 | Back to Top06-13-2010 05:52:39 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I'm going to try to put a new OS in using the flash drive like you said, I'll check in with what happens.

Yeah nothing.  Although I might not be doing it right so Idunnoooooo.

Last edited by winksniper (06-13-2010 06:04:15 PM)

#39 | Back to Top06-16-2010 11:08:17 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

(wow 3rd post in a row, my bad guys emot-gonk)

So I managed to load a bootable copy of XP on to the flash drive and everything, but it's still not doing anything.  halp??

#40 | Back to Top06-17-2010 07:29:30 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

uhh did you check the boot order in the bios. Since its a not custom built laptop you could try the recovery partition. You could try the consumer reports recommended method "annoy family member" emot-tongue

Last edited by gpink (06-17-2010 07:31:43 PM)

#41 | Back to Top06-30-2010 06:47:03 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Shit, wink, I'm ubersorry, RL shit hit the fan here. Are you still working on this issue, or did you send it away?

#42 | Back to Top07-01-2010 11:53:56 AM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

It's totally fine.  emot-smile I've actually taken a break from trying to work on it, it was just causing me to have unnecessary fits of rage at it.  Since I still have until February to use the warranty, I was thinking I would just send it in as soon as I come up with $19 (for shipping costs).

#43 | Back to Top07-01-2010 10:45:08 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

As I mentioned in The Sims thread, Kealdrea's computer died. We'd been expecting it to happen for a while now. It doesn't even turn on. It just makes a loud noise, and does nothing. Any way to fix it?

#44 | Back to Top07-02-2010 06:52:09 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Razara wrote:

As I mentioned in The Sims thread, Kealdrea's computer died. We'd been expecting it to happen for a while now. It doesn't even turn on. It just makes a loud noise, and does nothing. Any way to fix it?

There's lots of different possibilities from that info. I presume there was warning signs since you were expecting it? Motherboard failure sounds like a possible reason from where I stand, since that happened to me a few months back, but there are other possibilities.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#45 | Back to Top07-03-2010 07:30:31 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

winksniper wrote:

It's totally fine.  emot-smile I've actually taken a break from trying to work on it, it was just causing me to have unnecessary fits of rage at it.  Since I still have until February to use the warranty, I was thinking I would just send it in as soon as I come up with $19 (for shipping costs).

Give me a few days to get some shit sorted in RL here and then I will try cobbling something together for you.

#46 | Back to Top07-04-2010 12:11:12 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Yasha wrote:

winksniper wrote:

Give me a few days to get some shit sorted in RL here and then I will try cobbling something together for you.

Okay, thank you.  emot-biggrin

#47 | Back to Top07-07-2010 01:52:14 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

When I would start up my PC it was all like random colors and pixels and snow. I opened it up and it was incredibly dusty and I used a can of compressed air to get it all out. Still didn't work. I moved some things around and what seemed to work was fidgeting the video card and RAM. Computer is working fine now.

Anyway to prevent this in the future? What was the cause? Should I get a new video card just in case?

Thanks in advance!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#48 | Back to Top07-08-2010 06:40:21 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

chrisb wrote:

When I would start up my PC it was all like random colors and pixels and snow. I opened it up and it was incredibly dusty and I used a can of compressed air to get it all out. Still didn't work. I moved some things around and what seemed to work was fidgeting the video card and RAM. Computer is working fine now.

Anyway to prevent this in the future? What was the cause? Should I get a new video card just in case?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a case of overheating, or dust getting into the ports. Keep the case clean and away from obvious heat sources for starters, and see if the problem repeats itself. You may also try cleaning the ports more thoroughly with a toothpick or something, just in case (but carefully!).

I had this odd thing happen with my Blu-Ray playing capabilities recently: I was watching a video, when mid-way the system told me that my screen wasn't HDCP compliant - very much not the case. But the next day everything was A-OK, even though the diagnosis problem now claims that my video card's drivers aren't up for the task - again, they are, I've updated and checked. And everything works fine now, so my only fear is that this issue will repeat itself some day. This is why I hate the stupid DRM protocols. emot-mad

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#49 | Back to Top07-08-2010 11:56:06 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

So FML today, I had to recover (erase all of my hard drive with no backup of existing files--goodbye music collection) my laptop. I'm running Windows 7 and my thing is, no one could understand why my computer's network sharing completely went hetero. Yesterday I hopped onto someone's Linksys connection, everything was great and today...the network just froze, there was even a little red 'x' over the icon on the taskbar. It would freeze when I went into the control panel, and my antivirus software nor trouble shooting picked up anything. At one point the startup was just black and I had to run it in safe mode emot-frown

What I wanna know is, if there is answer here, did the computer pick up a virus while I was basically leeching off someone's wifi?? emot-confused
And...what can I do to NOT have this problem in the future. Thanks emot-smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#50 | Back to Top07-09-2010 05:21:06 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I just bought an external disc drive and I found my XP reinstall disc.  I'm working on fixing it now.  :3

Got it working.

Sorry, Yasha, for making you waste your time trying to fix this problem. emot-gonk

Last edited by winksniper (07-09-2010 07:18:27 PM)

Board footer