This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top02-14-2007 04:09:19 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: Current Anime

YamPuff wrote:

Tamago wrote:

What I wanna see now from the Ouran High School Host Club series is the English dub on DVD so I can compare it with the Japanese voiceover and see if they did a good job or not.

emot-aaa It's been licenced???

I remember discussing a potential dub on another forum. We were saying how great it would be for Tamaki to have a French accent and the others to have British accents. Yumminess.

The manga has been, but the series hasn't yet. It's only a matter of time, considering how popular it seems to be.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#102 | Back to Top02-14-2007 04:48:22 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Red Garden sounds interesting. I've finally started watching Stawberry Panic. The first few episodes were kind of boring, but eventually I got hooked, and the later episodes are really good. Just a little bit dark, which is what I like. etc-love Also, Le Chevalier D’Eon looks fantastic. I can't wait for that. etc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#103 | Back to Top02-14-2007 06:07:08 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Just finished watching th second ep of the MariMite OVA etc-love That show is so awesome.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#104 | Back to Top02-15-2007 08:40:56 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Ragnarok wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Tamago wrote:

What I wanna see now from the Ouran High School Host Club series is the English dub on DVD so I can compare it with the Japanese voiceover and see if they did a good job or not.

emot-aaa It's been licenced???

I remember discussing a potential dub on another forum. We were saying how great it would be for Tamaki to have a French accent and the others to have British accents. Yumminess.

The manga has been, but the series hasn't yet. It's only a matter of time, considering how popular it seems to be.

The way Tamago phrased it made it sound like the anime had already been licenced. I already know about the manga though.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#105 | Back to Top02-15-2007 08:45:09 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

YamPuff wrote:

The way Tamago phrased it made it sound like the anime had already been licenced. I already know about the manga though.

Sorry my bad, I heard it was licenced so I would be expecting DVDs of Ouran with English dub and subs real soon.

#106 | Back to Top02-15-2007 09:03:34 AM

A Day Without Me

I'm pretty sure Ouran is still unlicensed - there's no news of licensing on Anime News Network, and additionally animesuki.com doesn't list it as licensed, and they're very on the ball in regards to licenses. I would also be suprised if Ouran were to have a licensing announcement at this time of the year - most companies wait until springtime or summer to announce big licenses like that at the cons.

Anyway, I've been watching Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori whenever the subs come out. Today I watched the 9th episode, which concerns a girl who's older brother steals her boyfriends. Now, the only reason I mention this in particular is that SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT the older brother's name is Miki, and it turns out he is in love with his sister, hence the stealing of boyfriends. So, of course, I instantly went "ZOMG, SKU!" It was great.

#107 | Back to Top02-15-2007 09:09:31 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Tamago wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Sorry my bad, I heard it was licenced so I would be expecting DVDs of Ouran with English dub and subs real soon.

Shaame on you. http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Puff-tans/icon_sad.gif Think of the troubles you might have caused.

I'd love for the anime to get licenced; I hope for a good dub.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#108 | Back to Top02-16-2007 02:24:26 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I'd settle for a good sub/non-horrible menus. (And no name changing/translating!!)

#109 | Back to Top02-17-2007 11:03:20 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Anyone ever notice how Ouran has some things in it that may have been inspired by SKU? The blinking beeping arrow? The visual effects? (Even though in Ouran they actually make imediate sense XD)

#110 | Back to Top02-17-2007 04:29:24 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

I'd settle for a good sub/non-horrible menus. (And no name changing/translating!!)

Unless its destined to appear on CN primetime slot, they are more likely to leave the names alone these days but I do agree with you on hoping for a better menu.

YamPuff wrote:

Anyone ever notice how Ouran has some things in it that may have been inspired by SKU? The blinking beeping arrow? The visual effects? (Even though in Ouran they actually make imediate sense XD)

You mean things like the roses, a prince like character who is a big hit with all the girls (Touga/Tamaki) or a 'shadow prince' with the last name of Ohtori who is actually running the show (Kyoya/Akio) for instance?  NAAAAH! I never noticed emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue

#111 | Back to Top02-17-2007 06:05:37 PM

A Day Without Me

Tamago wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Unless its destined to appear on CN primetime slot, they are more likely to leave the names alone these days but I do agree with you on hoping for a better menu.

Even then I'd be suprised by name changes, honestly - if it were destined for the CW or whatever the hell Fox's morning cartoon thing is called I would expect name changes, though, but I can't see something like Ouran ending up there.

I finally saw the first episode of Getsumen to Heiki Miina - its totally brainless, but I liked it. The fanservice was a bit on the excessive side, though. Marina Inoue is doing a fabulous job as per usual, so its all good emot-smile

#112 | Back to Top02-17-2007 10:21:19 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Tamago wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

It really bugs me that Ahiru's name was translated to Duck in the Princess Tutu DVDs. I know that it's a 'correct' translation, but it's a name and so it just feels wrong. (For one thing, Duck isn't as nice sounding emot-gonk) But at the same time it makes sense for her to just be named Duck, but Duck isn't a name that is common in Westren culture for people! I would have preferred she be called Ahiru and a translation note be made in the first episode or something. /irrational ranting

Honestly, this has kept me from buying the DVDs. emot-redface

Not that it's likely to be done for Ouran.

#113 | Back to Top02-18-2007 06:57:30 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Umm, you do know "Ahiru" isn't a name either, right? The only reason it sounds like one to you is because it's foreign, meaning that "Ahiru" is actually giving you an experience that's notably different than the intent.

#114 | Back to Top02-19-2007 04:58:12 PM

A Day Without Me

Hey, were any of you aware that Ikuhara is involved in the Nodame Cantibile anime?

I also just found out he was an episode director for one of my other favorite animes, Goldfish Warning! - he didn't like it much, though, apparently emot-frown

#115 | Back to Top02-19-2007 05:40:09 PM

Drukqs
Ballgoer
Website

Currently I'm in the middle of Black Lagoon.  It's not the best thing I've ever seen, but it's pretty damn good, considering I'm a fan of The Godfather and other such mob stories.  My only gripe is that sometimes the story arcs are dragged out almost to Dragon Ball Z length.

Last edited by Drukqs (02-19-2007 05:40:23 PM)

You can go to LJ, or tastysouls.deviantart.com

#116 | Back to Top02-19-2007 09:11:30 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Blade wrote:

Umm, you do know "Ahiru" isn't a name either, right? The only reason it sounds like one to you is because it's foreign, meaning that "Ahiru" is actually giving you an experience that's notably different than the intent.

Maybe, but it's an experience I prefer. Is it really that out there for someone to have the name, though? For instance, "Bunny" isn't a name you'd generally come across for a person, but there are people out there with that name. And it can sound like a name, whereas "Duck" does not sound like a good name for someone to have. "Ahiru" sounds better than "Duck" as a name aurally/phonetically. And as it is used as a given name, it doesn't make sense to translate it anymore than it makes sense to have "Himemiya" translated as "Princess-Shrine" whenever Utena refers to Anthy.

It also bugs me that the DVD release of Gundam Seed translates Torri/Tori's name as Birdy. It's an accurate translation and, yeah, it's a little bird robot. But since it's the bird's name (and sounds better) I'd prefer it left untranslated.

#117 | Back to Top02-19-2007 10:49:48 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Duck is every bit as much a name as Ahiru is. Himemiya is a name, where "Princess-Shrine" is not. It's not a valid comparison. When the Japanese heard "Ahiru", they knew it a) wasn't a name, and b) was a duck.

You can not like it, sure, but it's hardly a poor translation choice to give you the same experience that the Japanese had and which was the original authorial intent.

#118 | Back to Top02-20-2007 01:57:42 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Why can't "Princess-Shrine" be a name? There aren't rules stating that something can't be a name. Why is Duck as a name more valid?

When I saw "Ahiru" with an explanation that it meant duck and with the character being a duck, I knew all I needed to. It's not exactly treated as a secret, as the whole first episode goes into establishing the fact. Yet when Ahiru/Duck is referred to by name, it is a name and not a description of what she is. Her friends in ballet class are not calling her a duck, they are calling her by her name. The only thing I did not know is that Ahiru is not used as a name in Japan. (Though can you state for a fact it isn't? Just out of curiousity, mind, because I do like the sound of it.)

Likewise translating Neko-Sensei to Mr. Cat is accurate(ish) but it isn't gaining anything. I'd prefer he remain referred to as Neko-Sensei, although that keeps in a name, which can be translated, and a title as well. A footnote saying "Neko-Sensei translates directly to Cat-Teacher" would be preferable to me. It supplies the same information without damaging aesthetics.

The thing is, in my irrational rant up there I freely admitted that Duck worked as her name, but it feels wrong to me. I didn't call it a poor translation choice, though if ADV Films were trying to sell the DVDs to me alone; it would be.

#119 | Back to Top02-20-2007 03:00:17 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Tamago wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

You mean things like the roses, a prince like character who is a big hit with all the girls (Touga/Tamaki) or a 'shadow prince' with the last name of Ohtori who is actually running the show (Kyoya/Akio) for instance?  NAAAAH! I never noticed emot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongueemot-tongue

I know, its all very obscure and hard to notice except for those of us with a discerning eye...school-eng101

#120 | Back to Top02-20-2007 09:04:34 AM

A Day Without Me

I'm re-watching Tactics - I forget if I mentioned that. I have seen the entire series in fansub version, and I bought the first three DVD's the other day, so I'm going through it again. It's a fun series, and it has good opening and ending songs - wish I could find the soundtracks emot-gonk I will also freely admit it is the only anime that has made me cry nonstop through an episode, and crying is something I almost never do in general, so that was kind of weird for me.

#121 | Back to Top02-20-2007 10:23:02 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Why can't "Princess-Shrine" be a name? There aren't rules stating that something can't be a name. Why is Duck as a name more valid?

Actually, many places have laws on what children can be named (I think Japan might be one of them). The point is, one is a real name that would be recognised as such, one is not and would be recognised as such. You lose that when you keep the name "Ahiru" for an English audience.

When I saw "Ahiru" with an explanation that it meant duck and with the character being a duck, I knew all I needed to. It's not exactly treated as a secret, as the whole first episode goes into establishing the fact. Yet when Ahiru/Duck is referred to by name, it is a name and not a description of what she is. Her friends in ballet class are not calling her a duck, they are calling her by her name.

Though they're also calling her "Duck", just like they do in the translation.

Which I suppose, leads to the question that if she had been originally called "Duck" in order to give that feeling of "Foreign word so it doesn't matter that it's not a name" (hardly unusual in other shows), would it then be proper to call her "Ahiru" in translation? emot-tongue

The only thing I did not know is that Ahiru is not used as a name in Japan. (Though can you state for a fact it isn't? Just out of curiousity, mind, because I do like the sound of it.)

Yep. Were it an actual real name, I'd agree with you.

Likewise translating Neko-Sensei to Mr. Cat is accurate(ish) but it isn't gaining anything. I'd prefer he remain referred to as Neko-Sensei, although that keeps in a name, which can be translated, and a title as well. A footnote saying "Neko-Sensei translates directly to Cat-Teacher" would be preferable to me. It supplies the same information without damaging aesthetics.

I don't really find any aesthetics to be damaged here. Why is "Neko-sensei" particularly more aesthetically pleasing than "Mr. Cat"? That smacks of saying "English is ugly, Japanese is beautiful", a sentiment I've seen before but disagree with.

The thing is, in my irrational rant up there I freely admitted that Duck worked as her name, but it feels wrong to me. I didn't call it a poor translation choice, though if ADV Films were trying to sell the DVDs to me alone; it would be.

You said it "didn't make sense to translate it", I interpreted that as you thinking it's a bad translation decision despite your earlier statement. But that's cool if you didn't.

#122 | Back to Top02-20-2007 02:26:11 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

So, we finished FMA a while ago, then tried Twelve Kingdoms but couldn't get past the neverending annnnnnnnngst, and then started trudging reluctantly through Saiyuki because there was nothing else...

... and then we got a cable modem, and suddenly, it hit me: I could download Marimite.

My wife and I spent this weekend watching the first nine eps or so, squeeing like schoolgirls over it and bellowing, "GIRLS!  IN!  LOVE!" or "KISSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

It was a very nice experience.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the series now.

#123 | Back to Top02-20-2007 09:42:42 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Blade wrote:

Actually, many places have laws on what children can be named (I think Japan might be one of them). The point is, one is a real name that would be recognised as such, one is not and would be recognised as such. You lose that when you keep the name "Ahiru" for an English audience.

How do you (or I) lose? What is being lost and what are the rules? Not that the anime takes place in Japan, either. If not for Utena, I would not recognize Himemiya as a name, why would I? As I have said, put a footnote in saying "Ahiru means duck in Japanese" and everything's fine. Real names get made all the time, they all come from somewhere. Blade wasn't always a name, but it is now.

Blade wrote:

Though they're also calling her "Duck", just like they do in the translation.

Which I suppose, leads to the question that if she had been originally called "Duck" in order to give that feeling of "Foreign word so it doesn't matter that it's not a name" (hardly unusual in other shows), would it then be proper to call her "Ahiru" in translation? emot-tongue

No, no, not at all! If she'd been called "Duck" then fine. Because it's being used as a proper name. I say proper names shouldn't be translated. That is what bothers me about the whole thing. That "Ahiru" sounds much better than "DucK" further exasperates things. If instead of "Ahiru" she had been named "Ente" or "Canard" would you still feel a translation was required?

"Princess Tutu" is (I believe) always said in English.

Blade wrote:

Yep. Were it an actual real name, I'd agree with you.

In the series it is a real name. It is applied to a character as a name, not a description. The fact that the name has a double meaning doesn't change that it's used as a name in the continuity of the series.

Blade wrote:

I don't really find any aesthetics to be damaged here. Why is "Neko-sensei" particularly more aesthetically pleasing than "Mr. Cat"? That smacks of saying "English is ugly, Japanese is beautiful", a sentiment I've seen before but disagree with.

It's a preference, just like preferring "Ahiru" to "Duck." One sounds better to me than the other. Although, as he is not the main character in the series, it doesn't bother me nearly so much. Not that I think Japanese is necessarily a more beautiful language than English, nor is that relevant. I'm saying that "Mr. Cat" is not an inherently superior name/title to "Neko-sensei" and, as it is a given name, it does not make sense to translate it.

Blade wrote:

You said it "didn't make sense to translate it", I interpreted that as you thinking it's a bad translation decision despite your earlier statement. But that's cool if you didn't.

I maintain it doesn't make sense to translate a name. When "ahiru" is used as a noun, translate it. When "Ahiru" is used as a name, do not. That doesn't mean translating it is bad in this case, because this series uses a name which also serves as a description. Thus it comes down to "Should this name be translated?" and the decision was that it should. I disagree, but it's just my opinion.

#124 | Back to Top02-22-2007 06:21:24 PM

A Day Without Me

Well, I just started watching Saiunkoku Monogatari - I'd heard it was good, so I decided to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised - it has pleasant animation, and I found the heroine to be quite refreshing, really. I'd recommend it.

#125 | Back to Top02-24-2007 08:02:08 PM

A Day Without Me

Hey, is the series Air actually any good?

Board footer