This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#451 | Back to Top12-18-2009 10:31:48 PM

Copyman
Juri Jeerer

Re: Utena: Remastered Release in the works?

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I do apologize if I a) missed this explanation and b) for rezzing this old thread but I'm having a little trouble.

I just finished watching S1D1-6. No problems with the subtitles, they automatically worked. I just started S2D1 and suddenly there are no subs. I tried playing around with the Icarus program and the patches but I have no idea how they work! Any help would be much appreciated and again, very sorry if this was answered already.

Thank you very much!

With Set 2 I uploaded the raws and another member created sub patches. Patching the DVD with the sub is very easy. Make sure you have the Icarus.exe & xdeltapb.exe files & open Icarus.exe. Click Appy Patch. Now for ISO File: you must select the raw DVD ISO of the disc, for Patch: select the patch file with the .bdiff extension, for Save to: select where you want to save/create the new patched DVD ISO(don't overwrite the raw ISO). Finally click Apply and it will began patching & creating the new subbed DVD for you.

Last edited by Copyman (12-18-2009 10:35:18 PM)

#452 | Back to Top01-02-2010 10:32:35 PM

WinstonTA
Touga Topper

I'm coming into this topic very late, and in fact it's actually my first post here, but I was wondering something about the pictures on the actual discs.  Can anyone tell me why Chigusa (or someone who looks exactly like her) is on disc eight?  I know that the Sega Saturn game isn't technically canon, but I'm still a bit confused as to why she's on the disc.  I hope this question doesn't make me sound completely unschooled in the ways of SKU. emot-smile

*edited to correct a mistype

Last edited by WinstonTA (01-03-2010 10:30:29 PM)

“You taste so good,” she whispered against my skin, lingering where my neck met my shoulders. “You taste like...”
“If you say eternity,” I said drily, “I’ll get out of the shower right now.”
~Utena & Anthy, "Thorns Wither" fic, Chapter 4

#453 | Back to Top01-02-2010 10:56:18 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Probably because it's a rather nice piece of official art. I doubt there's any reason beyond that, as she makes no appearance in the series proper.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#454 | Back to Top01-03-2010 02:17:29 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

WinstonTA wrote:

I'm coming into this topic very late, and in fact it's actually my first post here, but I was wondering something about the pictures on the actual discs.  Can anyone tell me why Chigusa (or someone who looks exactly like her) is on disc eight?  I know that the Sega Saturn game is technically canon, but I'm still a bit confused as to why she's on the disc.  I hope this question doesn't make me sound completely unschooled in the ways of SKU. emot-smile

As far as I know, there's nothing to indicate the game is TV series canon, although they seem to have been careful to make sure it could be.  Also, remember that those are just fan-made custom labels, not the ones on the actual discs. school-eng101

#455 | Back to Top01-03-2010 10:29:41 PM

WinstonTA
Touga Topper

Ohh, I didn't know that they were fan-made labels.  Now I definitely feel stupid.  Ah well, thanks for the info everyone emot-smile

“You taste so good,” she whispered against my skin, lingering where my neck met my shoulders. “You taste like...”
“If you say eternity,” I said drily, “I’ll get out of the shower right now.”
~Utena & Anthy, "Thorns Wither" fic, Chapter 4

#456 | Back to Top01-12-2010 07:05:26 AM

Copyman
Juri Jeerer

Yeah the actual discs have no images characters.

#457 | Back to Top01-18-2010 02:33:54 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

So has it been mentioned how the stabbings of Anthy scenes are way more graphic in this remastered version especially in the last episode. It was actually hard for me to watch the scene, the brutal imagery is heartbreaking. It takes A LOT  for me to cringe but I'm surprised that a little silhouette getting pierced by thousands of swords could make me feel.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#458 | Back to Top01-18-2010 07:52:37 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I just watched specifically the first sequence where she's stabbied in 39...is it really different? I don't have the discs at hand to check the original. emot-frown It does seem pretty graphic, but then that was always a pretty graphic scene. She looks like she jerks back though and I don't remember that.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#459 | Back to Top01-18-2010 06:54:57 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

The original had the stabbings occur in little boxes and in the remastered version it's in full screen glory and slightly more animated to show more jerking.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#460 | Back to Top01-21-2010 03:47:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I can't PM to ask for the torrent link. Your inbox is full.

Edit: I found torrents from Nyaa Torrents and BakaBT; does anybody know if these are truly remasters as the sites claim, and, if so, do they have the GOOD (i.e. not Central Park Media) subtitles?

Last edited by Trench Kamen (01-21-2010 04:24:08 PM)

#461 | Back to Top01-22-2010 05:30:46 AM

persnec
New Student

Trench Kamen wrote:

I found torrents from Nyaa Torrents and BakaBT; does anybody know if these are truly remasters as the sites claim, and, if so, do they have the GOOD (i.e. not Central Park Media) subtitles?

BakaBT has the CPM subs, but flawlessly good quality versions of the remaster. I don't know about Nyaa Torrents.

#462 | Back to Top01-22-2010 09:51:32 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I'm downloading the Nyaa sub, so I guess we'll see.

#463 | Back to Top01-31-2010 10:32:34 AM

Copyman
Juri Jeerer

Trench Kamen wrote:

I can't PM to ask for the torrent link. Your inbox is full.

Edit: I found torrents from Nyaa Torrents and BakaBT; does anybody know if these are truly remasters as the sites claim, and, if so, do they have the GOOD (i.e. not Central Park Media) subtitles?

The site is down right now but it will be back soon. I deleted messages in my inbox. emot-smile

Personally I can't stand rips. Quality is altered & compressed & usually the audio is greatly downsampled from its 448 kbps. Many times rips are even downsampled from its original 5.1 to 2.0 emot-gonk

But my standards are very high, I only prefer the very best I can get. Its understandable if people don't have the connection to download the full DVDs since they are nearly 100 GB total.

#464 | Back to Top03-23-2010 11:45:50 PM

CoyoteMemories
Juri Jeerer

Hey Copyman,

I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Inside I'm hollow. STOP KNOCKING ON ME!

#465 | Back to Top04-02-2010 12:04:45 PM

ZenAmako
New Student

I recently acquired the two remastered DVD boxes, and I have mixed feelings about them. 

I previously owned the LDs and I also have the R1 DVDs.  The remastered version has MUCH better colors.  The R1 DVDs look really washed out in comparison.  The problem with the remastered DVDs is the aliasing.  I find the jagged, pixellated lines that should be smooth very distracting.  Maybe it's because I'm watching on a 50" LCD, but I feel that for the price these DVDs sold for (pricey even for Japanese DVDs), something should have been done about the aliasing issue. 

I am happy with the 5.1 sound and I'm enjoying the little tweaks that have been made to the animation.

It's just too bad these releases couldn't have been perfect.  Has Ikuhara ever said anything about the aliasing?  I'm sure somebody noticed it.

About the packaging:  It looks great, but it seems very delicate.  When I removed the shrink wrap from the second box, I noticed that the gold rose crest already had a few scratches and scuffs on it.  I'm trying to come up with a good way to store these expensive sets so that they won't get damaged any further.  It doesn't help that they're such an odd size.

One final note:  The second DVD set is currently 40% off over at CD-Japan.  That knocks it down to a "high but not insane" price for those who have been hesitating.

#466 | Back to Top04-12-2010 11:36:47 AM

Copyman
Juri Jeerer

Yes the aliasing was the only real flaw, but still amazing. Until the Blu-ray that is. Cardcaptor Sakura was the same, the remastered DVDs looks great besides the aliasing. The blu-ray fixed that.

Board footer