This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-07-2007 08:56:38 AM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Hair

I love hair (I'm planning on attending cosmetology school sometime hopefully!) and I especially LOVE anime hair.  I wish we were all born with different colors like blue and green and pink and be able to pull them off as natural. emot-biggrin  But anyway, I was just wondering... how does Anthy pin her hair up into a little bob?  I know she has waistlength tresses, but to coil them all up like that must take some time?  I was thinking a hairagami piece would be used, but I'm not sure... any thoughts?  Also, does anyone know how recreate that headband braid Nanami sports?  I love both of those looks but have no idea how I would go about doing them!  And I love them so! ;_;

#2 | Back to Top04-07-2007 12:04:37 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Hair

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shop … ctID=30355

Saw this in a magazine once.

No Idea how it works, but one of my relatives said they used something similar for most of their life O__o

#3 | Back to Top04-07-2007 12:59:45 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Another French motif! We're so busy looking for Buddhist and Christian and gnostic motifs that we are missing the French.

#4 | Back to Top04-07-2007 01:06:52 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I have to wonder if Nanami's hair is a sort of French braid, because otherwise, the length of her hair would never be able to wind around her head like that when braided. I've had hair longer than that, and I'm sure even that wouldn't have worked.

Again, French! emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top04-07-2007 01:27:41 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

allegoriest wrote:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=30355&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=375&iSubCat=548&iProductID=30355

Saw this in a magazine once.

No Idea how it works, but one of my relatives said they used something similar for most of their life O__o

EEEEE!!!  That looks soooo cool!  I want one now!  Lol.

#6 | Back to Top04-07-2007 06:11:54 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Actually, it's a look that was popular with ne of the French mistresses -Montespan I think. The only difference was that when she wore that style, she wore her hair in two falls of curls at the end of the roll. emot-keke So Anthy has connections with the mistresses of French Royalty. Niiiiice.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#7 | Back to Top04-07-2007 09:54:27 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I always thought Anthy's hair looked like those French rolls that women wore back in the 1940's with those puffy-sleeved shirtwaist dresses. I keep forgetting fashion repeats itself.

As for Nanami. The troubling part about her hair is when Utena cuts the braid during the duel. If it's a separate piece (not to be confused with the novel), then it makes sense because I didn't see any uneven sections of hair later. If it's a braid of her own hair, then it would have been totally FUBARed, barring artist error.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top04-07-2007 11:01:58 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

As for Nanami. The troubling part about her hair is when Utena cuts the braid during the duel. If it's a separate piece (not to be confused with the novel), then it makes sense because I didn't see any uneven sections of hair later. If it's a braid of her own hair, then it would have been totally FUBARed, barring artist error.

I always assumed that it was one of those mock-braid headbands, and that she wore it to keep her bangs out of her face (growing them out..?) but then again, she sported the same hairdo when she was little so I dunno. I also thought it was a visual reference to Madame DuBarry from Rose of Versailles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#9 | Back to Top04-08-2007 01:45:31 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

For Nanami's hair, it's probably a combination of two braids being put into one and French braided at the middle, it's hard to explain, but it involves braiding the two strands together tightly to the scalp, and using a few bobby pins

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#10 | Back to Top04-08-2007 10:22:01 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

morosemocha wrote:

Actually, it's a look that was popular with ne of the French mistresses -Montespan I think. The only difference was that when she wore that style, she wore her hair in two falls of curls at the end of the roll. emot-keke So Anthy has connections with the mistresses of French Royalty. Niiiiice.

Madame du Montespan... when I was reading about her I couldn't stop thinking about Anthy...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#11 | Back to Top04-08-2007 03:34:01 PM

Hysterical Woman
Touga Topper
Website

A wizard did it.

"So you should crossdress and help people.” And she did.

#12 | Back to Top04-08-2007 10:08:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

That damn wizard needs to keep his nose out of my BIZNESS. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#13 | Back to Top04-09-2007 07:44:48 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Well, they make those fake-hair headbands and ponytail holders.  Nanami's family is wealthy enough to afford to have one made from her own hair or matched perfectly.  I also thought that's what it was.

Although if it is possible to do a braid that way, you guys are right, I'm pretty sure that blade hitting it would have taken a chunk out.  But maybe not enough to really mess up her hair...because it couldn't be one long braid.  Iris's suggestion makes sense...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#14 | Back to Top04-09-2007 02:25:47 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Have you noticed that Anthy's hair looks different every time it's down? When she's having sex with Akio, it seems like her hair is knee or ankle-length and kind of chaotic. Then there's that one shot at the end of episode 31 where Anthy throws herself back and the hair looks more like big purple wings. And when she's sleeping next to Utena, it's kind of tame, but it looks completely different than when she leaves at the end of the series.

#15 | Back to Top04-09-2007 03:22:05 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Have you noticed that Anthy's hair looks different every time it's down? When she's having sex with Akio, it seems like her hair is knee or ankle-length and kind of chaotic. Then there's that one shot at the end of episode 31 where Anthy throws herself back and the hair looks more like big purple wings. And when she's sleeping next to Utena, it's kind of tame, but it looks completely different than when she leaves at the end of the series.

Well you could say symbolism, which works in its own way, but its most likely inconsistent animation.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#16 | Back to Top04-09-2007 04:43:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Actually, one of the things Gio and I had noticed about Anthy's hair is that it's actually drawn differently at a specific point in the series, and in such a way that you can't attribute it to animation. Take a look at Anthy's hair when she's Utena's bride as opposed to when she's Touga's bride-- you'll see her hair is much more angular when she's with Touga. I wish I could dig up pics, but I'm at work right now.

So it's not that far fetched to say that the hair might be symbolic...

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#17 | Back to Top04-12-2007 11:31:36 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Oh i love most of the utena casts hair in most cases... i think that i suits them...however when it does not it is a hint for the viewer to....go deeper.....take that out of context if you like school-devil

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#18 | Back to Top04-12-2007 12:17:08 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Yasha wrote:

Actually, one of the things Gio and I had noticed about Anthy's hair is that it's actually drawn differently at a specific point in the series, and in such a way that you can't attribute it to animation. Take a look at Anthy's hair when she's Utena's bride as opposed to when she's Touga's bride-- you'll see her hair is much more angular when she's with Touga. I wish I could dig up pics, but I'm at work right now.

I'd be more ready to put it down to symbolism if SKU had better animation as a whole. Otherwise You could put it down to different and/or inconsistent animators. I noticed while watching Sailor Moon SuperS that every few episodes the characters are drawn pretty differently. And sometimes the characters slowly change as the artist...adapts to the character you could say? When watching Tsubasa, I watched the first season and went back to look at an earlier episode and was really surprised at the difference in Fai's hair.

But don't let me ruin your fun being such a spoil-sport. Poptart? poptartpoptartpoptart

EDIT: dig up pics!!!!

Last edited by YamPuff (04-12-2007 12:32:57 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#19 | Back to Top04-14-2007 12:13:33 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'll try to get pics of it... It's one of those things like Gio's obsession with Akio's pupil size, it correlates too well for us to just discount.

#20 | Back to Top07-09-2007 07:43:13 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'd been thinking about this for awhile, but I could never remember to post it.

Series Anthy has wavy hair, Series Utena has straight hair.
Movie Anthy has straight hair, Movie Utena has wavy hair.

Why the switch in hair textures?
Is there some correlation between who gets the wavy hair and who gets the straight hair in the anime?
Why isn't Juri's hair in her trademark sausage curls in the movie?
Why do Ruka and Touga get the mutant forelocks and Saionji doesn't?
And do we chalk all this up to character design choices? Is it really that simple?

I know I just asked a bunch of questions I didn't answer, but I'm not sure myself.

#21 | Back to Top07-09-2007 08:02:16 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Yasha wrote:

Oh, definitely.  Juri started wearing her hair in tight curls after completely shutting herself off, after all.

I also figured Nanami's hair was a "hair-headband."

I was always mildly amused by the thought of Saionji helping Touga put the light streak in his hair, armed with but a box of L'Oreal Nice'n'Easy.

"Did you put the pre-color protective serum on?"
"Shit! My colorist gloves, where are my colorist gloves?"

#22 | Back to Top07-09-2007 09:03:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Series Anthy has wavy hair, Series Utena has straight hair.
Movie Anthy has straight hair, Movie Utena has wavy hair.

Apparently this was hotly debatedly right to end of the planning of the movie, there's a lot of design work of their hair switched. Akio was still the bigger debate though, judging from how much design work he got. emot-mad

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Why do Ruka and Touga get the mutant forelocks and Saionji doesn't?

Curly hair would be hard to give a mutant forelock to.

I really need to collect up caps for that Anthy thing Yasha mentioned, since I have the stuffs for it now. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#23 | Back to Top07-09-2007 09:12:58 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I also considered Nanami's hair (well, her whole appearance really) was drawn as it was to remind us visually of Madame Du Barry.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#24 | Back to Top07-09-2007 09:20:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I also considered Nanami's hair (well, her whole appearance really) was drawn as it was to remind us visually of Madame Du Barry.

Yeah, according to wiki, she was intended to be a copy of Du Barry, all the way down to her lost, unrequited love, at least according to the Du Barry of Rose of Versailles.

I'm thinking... wavy hair, perhaps it has something to do with "steadiness" of a person's heart? But, that wouldn't make sense because I don't think Miki is clear as to what he really wants for himself.

On another note, I think as far as hair length is concerned, I don't think they really matter as much as the fact that the characters who are literally hiding their secret passion/feelings would manually change their hair. Juri curled up her hair since the day she felt she lost her chance to confess to Shiori. Anthy tied her hair back because she can no longer trust/love anyone anymore, and therefore, refuses to express how she really feels and begins to serve as a projection of other people's thoughts. Movie!Utena tied her hair ever since Touga died, or in her opinion, broke up with her.

#25 | Back to Top07-10-2007 05:41:17 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

YamPuff wrote:

I'd be more ready to put it down to symbolism if SKU had better animation as a whole. Otherwise You could put it down to different and/or inconsistent animators. I noticed while watching Sailor Moon SuperS that every few episodes the characters are drawn pretty differently.

You can chalk that up to one person.  Ando.  It happens all through Classic, R, and S, and I think he's still there for part of SuperS (but not sure about Stars.)  Every single Ami-focused episode through the first two seasons (and possibly further, but I haven't finished my rewatch taking note of such things) were done with Ando leading the way (or whatever.)  That is when all of the characters have very bobble-head/bubble-head like appearances.  It just looks awful.

Hiraku wrote:

On another note, I think as far as hair length is concerned, I don't think they really matter as much as the fact that the characters who are literally hiding their secret passion/feelings would manually change their hair. Juri curled up her hair since the day she felt she lost her chance to confess to Shiori. Anthy tied her hair back because she can no longer trust/love anyone anymore, and therefore, refuses to express how she really feels and begins to serve as a projection of other people's thoughts. Movie!Utena tied her hair ever since Touga died, or in her opinion, broke up with her.

I like this interpretation. 

Shattered wrote:

I know Nanami is the first person I thought of when I saw that character in RoV.  It would certainly make sense for her to have been the model as Hiraku's source suggests.

Of course, I'm still stuck on "How did Movie!Utena manage to get that much hair stuck up in that little hat?" but I tend to dwell on such things.

Board footer