This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-27-2007 10:49:55 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Anthy can't cook.

Or can she?

All through the series, we only see Anthy making shaved ice. Or tea. But besides that, it doesn't seem like she can cook anything else. I need to re-watch the series again, but has this ever been explained more?

One thing I've noticed, is that in the end of the series.. didn't Anthy bake cookies? "Poison" cookies to be exact.

We never see her actually bake them, but she does imply she put poison in them to Utena. Then Utena says she put poison in the tea. And they make their promise to sip tea and laugh together ten years later.

I was under the impression that Anthy couldn't cook, so this is a little strange. My first guess is that the could only prepare shaved ice before because it's cold. As in "cold and unfeeling". But episode 37 with this scene, there are cookies. Perhaps it is symbolism of her breaking out of her cold and heartless shell she tries to put around herself? Except, you know, the poison part, but that's another symbolism all together.

That was my first thought, anyway. Anyone else have any ideas? Or maybe Anthy didn't make the cookies herself?

Actually, since I'm on the subject of the poison cookies and tea already, feel free to discuss that too. I'm not sure if a thread has been made for that. But a while back someone on LJ posted an interesting link relating to that scene: http://www.broomstick.org/utena/borgia.html

To me it's like Anthy was hinting that she was harming Utena, and then Utena saying that she did the same to Anthy. Relating to after Anthy's suicide attempt when she and Utena both felt guilty for hurting each other.

Okay, I just checked back to the poison scene. About the cookies, Anthy does say "I made them myself", or something like that.

#2 | Back to Top02-27-2007 11:11:05 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Anthy can't cook.

I think she didn't bake those cookies herself anyway. There was no poison, those were just mindgames. So Anthy had no readon to bake those cookies.

She can make curry though! school-chef
And takoyaki and yakisoba, though neither Utena or Wakaba seemed very delighted about those. Then again, I'm not totally sure if she made them herself or not.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top02-27-2007 11:36:57 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Maarika wrote:

I think she didn't bake those cookies herself anyway. There was no poison, those were just mindgames. So Anthy had no readon to bake those cookies.

She can make curry though! school-chef
And takoyaki and yakisoba, though neither Utena or Wakaba seemed very delighted about those. Then again, I'm not totally sure if she made them herself or not.

Oh, yeah! You're right. She did make Utena a lunch box that showed up the one Wakaba had made her. (But then Chuchu quickly ate all of the food in it. Hm...) As for the curry, well, she did cook it, but it ended up being more like a spell than anything, didn't it? emot-biggrin

Hm. Are takoyai and yakisoba cold or hot foods?

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (02-27-2007 11:37:28 AM)

#4 | Back to Top02-27-2007 12:03:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

The idea of the shaved ice referring to her as being cold unfeeling raises an interesting point. Just after Anthy helped her brother poison Kanae, she offered to make Utena some shaved ice. The way she prepared the shaved ice was by cutting through a block of ice with a dangerous looking saw.

#5 | Back to Top02-27-2007 12:25:46 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I think that the point of shaved ice was that while it can temporarily take away your hunger, it won't offer a least bit nourishment. It has no actual substance in it. Much like Anthy's Rose Bride personality.

As I understand, both takoyaki and yakisoba are considered fast foods to be eaten from some stall when you're in a hurry - I assume that it would have been a bit similar to give a lunchbox full of hamburgers to a Westerner. Again, not very healthy or nourishing food - or very personal, for that matter.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#6 | Back to Top02-27-2007 04:36:40 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

In the manga, Anthy has a horrible sense of taste.  In the manga version of the explosive curry powder, Anthy cooked curry for Utena and tasted it and was happy with the taste, but ChuChu obviously worried about her sense of taste, so ChuChu tested it and it was horrible.  Then in the attempt to improve the taste of the curry (to save Utena), ChuChu accidentally poured the whole can of 100 times super hot curry power in the pot.

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#7 | Back to Top02-27-2007 06:30:27 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I remember the saw scene. Very creepy. emot-biggrin

Lightice wrote:

I think that the point of shaved ice was that while it can temporarily take away your hunger, it won't offer a least bit nourishment. It has no actual substance in it. Much like Anthy's Rose Bride personality.

As I understand, both takoyaki and yakisoba are considered fast foods to be eaten from some stall when you're in a hurry - I assume that it would have been a bit similar to give a lunchbox full of hamburgers to a Westerner. Again, not very healthy or nourishing food - or very personal, for that matter.

Ahh, thank you. emot-keke That's a good point, too.

Although, now I have to wonder.. Utena and Wakaba never did get to eat Anthy's food. Chuchu ate it first. Hmm.

There's the shaved ice (cold), curry (body-switching thing.. I kind of wonder if Anthy did that intentionally), the lunch box (eaten by Chuchu) and the cookies. I don't think I remember anything else.. And Akio can cook really well, too. Hm. emot-confused

Rushita> I didn't know that about the manga, but thank you. emot-biggrin Although, manga Anthy and series Anthy are very different.

#8 | Back to Top02-28-2007 04:46:13 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

You know, I always got the impression that Anthy could cook decently if she wanted to, but she just doesn't expend the effort because it's too much fun to feed the victors on kakigori and takoyaki. (Exploding curry was obviously another instance of her sense of humor coming into play.)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#9 | Back to Top02-28-2007 07:47:40 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

And Akio can cook really well, too. Hm. emot-confused

I'm guessing he learned out of necessity. emot-gonk Judging by how passive aggressive she is the rest of the time, my guess is that she just doesn't like cooking and fakes gross incompetence so no one will ask her to cook.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top02-28-2007 10:17:35 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Her curry has the power to switch people's bodies. If that's not cooking I don't know what is.school-chefschool-chefschool-chefschool-chef

I do like the idea of the shaved ice and how it isn't satisfying.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#11 | Back to Top02-28-2007 12:05:43 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

In the manga she is genuinely bad at cooking.
- It probably is another indication of her oddball-ness,
- it also provides the mainspring for the exploding curry episode,
- it demonstrates Akio's coolness and attractiveness to women,
- it's probably another way to mess around with gender roles since it disrupts expectations of her and Utena being stereotypical butch/femme,
- it may indicate that she is a princess without practical skills,
- it may indicate that she is not necessarily suited to being a witch either,
- it's just plain funny.

#12 | Back to Top02-28-2007 02:33:47 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Takoyaki is usually eaten hot, but I don't see a problem eating it cold since it's practically finger food.
I ate Yakisoba cold and I love it! Now I'm hungry!

And, Brian, I'm going to have to agree with you on the oddball-ness and the plain funny thing. Although, I never see Anthy as a princess, but it does make me think. If Anthy is supposed to represent the harsh reality of womanhood (read it somewhere, forgot where), shouldn't she typically have skill in making food?
On the other hand, I remember reading somewhere that it was Utena who likes to cook. But other than the curry, I've never seen her wearing an apron.

#13 | Back to Top02-28-2007 02:48:41 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Anthy can also cook properly - remember, she's the one making considerable meals for herself and Utena more or less every day. Wasn't Utena surprised/bothered how there is so much food for only two people near the beginning of the show?
Also, Anthy can apparently make good jam.

I'd say that in the anime Anthy's odd cooking is due her personality quirks rather than lack of skill. The personality-shifting curry was most definately a deliberate practical joke, mostly played on Nanami who had to suffer all kinds of elephant-related hardships for nothing at all, as a result.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#14 | Back to Top02-28-2007 02:51:14 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Lightice wrote:

Anthy can also cook properly - remember, she's the one making considerable meals for herself and Utena more or less every day. Wasn't Utena surprised/bothered how there is so much food for only two people near the beginning of the show?
Also, Anthy can apparently make good jam.

I'd say that in the anime Anthy's odd cooking is due her personality quirks rather than lack of skill. The personality-shifting curry was most definately a deliberate practical joke, mostly played on Nanami who had to suffer all kinds of elephant-related hardships for nothing at all, as a result.

I thought it was Akio who made the jam, wow.
I was wondering where the food came from, I thought maybe the school staff delivered them to dorms or something.

#15 | Back to Top02-28-2007 02:54:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Utena:  This's great.
Akio:  That's wonderful. That jam is made from the rose hips that Anthy raises,
Akio:  stewed with brandy and sugar.
Utena:  Wow, you sure are a good cook.
Utena:  You're siblings, but what a difference.
Anthy:  Well, thank you.
Utena:  That wasn't a compliment.

Someday, I'm going to find some god damn rose hips.

I've looked. Oh...I've looked. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#16 | Back to Top02-28-2007 02:59:12 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Anthy knows how to do things when they suit her or Akio's purpose. Like how she can play the piano all of a sudden when Miki's around. The exploding, personality-swapping curry could mean several things.

A) She did it to prove that she can't cook.
B) She intentionally made a body-swapping potion that happened to resemble bad curry for reasons that remain unclear.
C) She really can't cook and this was all a total accident.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#17 | Back to Top02-28-2007 07:13:38 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Hiraku wrote:

If Anthy is supposed to represent the harsh reality of womanhood (read it somewhere, forgot where), shouldn't she typically have skill in making food?
On the other hand, I remember reading somewhere that it was Utena who likes to cook. But other than the curry, I've never seen her wearing an apron.

Yes, but if the Rose Bride is a proto-typical Trophy Wife, well, Trophy Wives can't cook, right? emot-rolleyes

It's even possible that Akio insists on being the cook/nurturer. It's another way to keep her dependent on him and rub her nose in the fact that she is so pathetic that she cannot even fulfill that typical femine role, although I admit that is quite a stretch. Or maybe he is afraid he'll get poisoned.  school-chef

During the Prince who runs in the Night episode Utena's monolog indicates that she routinely shops and  cooks for them.

#18 | Back to Top02-28-2007 09:47:16 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I would assume that Anthy and Akio are entities with powers far beyond human comprehension. They can change styles to suit a need, or change abilities -- such as the ability to cook a decent meal -- to suit the task at hand.

But since I STILL haven't seen past episode 7 (damn my Lego obsession!), feel free to take my idea with a whole shakerful of salt.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#19 | Back to Top03-01-2007 01:18:23 PM

junior
New Student
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

B) She intentionally made a body-swapping potion that happened to resemble bad curry for reasons that remain unclear.

She did it as part of her revenge on Nanami for the ballroom episode.  All of the Nanami comic relief stories involve Anthy magically and subtly getting revenge.  The Egg, the Cowbell, and the Curry are all seemingly innocent episodes that actually come from Anthy using her witch powers.

#20 | Back to Top03-01-2007 06:56:33 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

junior wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

She did it as part of her revenge on Nanami for the ballroom episode.  All of the Nanami comic relief stories involve Anthy magically and subtly getting revenge.  The Egg, the Cowbell, and the Curry are all seemingly innocent episodes that actually come from Anthy using her witch powers.

Oh yeah, and when everyone "remembered" that Nanami was the one who caused the explosion and everything, Nanami tried correcting them saying that her curry was never used in the first place.

But Anthy and Utena didn't remember THAT, even though it's true that Nanami was never the culprit.

Back to the cooking. I think Anthy REALLY likes making shaved ice. But, that doesn't count as cooking, does it?

#21 | Back to Top03-01-2007 08:46:52 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Funny I always thought that the great body-swap happened because Anthy wanted to take a break from being the Rose Bride, tired of being picked on, and wanted to stop doing that stupid trade journal but heaven forbid she act out of character. So she decided to make Utena do it for her.
Nanami suffering was just icing. school-devil

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#22 | Back to Top03-02-2007 01:55:20 PM

BoysNextDoor
New Student

i dont know..  i mean.. its obvious that anthy has some SERIOUS time on her hands...like WTF does she dooo besides go to school and be a (slave) friend to utena? maybe she just got bored of sitting around all the time and being a (slave) to her friends..

#23 | Back to Top03-10-2007 07:12:20 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I just re-watched the episode where Touga is deceiving Utena into believing he is her Prince. He has a longish conversation with Anthy where she says she would like to learn to cook but he tells her that a Rose Bride is not supposed to know how to cook. He really rubs her nose in her Rose Bride role and she looks very crestfallen. She shows a lot more emotion early on than  I remembered. She clearly wants to learn how to cook. Utena herself doesn't seem to have understood that.

#24 | Back to Top03-10-2007 07:21:25 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

brian wrote:

I just re-watched the episode where Touga is deceiving Utena into believing he is her Prince. He has a longish conversation with Anthy where she says she would like to learn to cook but he tells her that a Rose Bride is not supposed to know how to cook. He really rubs her nose in her Rose Bride role and she looks very crestfallen. She shows a lot more emotion early on than  I remembered. She clearly wants to learn how to cook. Utena herself doesn't seem to have understood that.

It's still a bit questionable whether at that time she's actually fed up with the role of the Rose Bride or is it still just Utena's thoughts projected onto Anthy. Anthy hasn't cried for Utena at that episode yet.

Last edited by Hiraku (03-10-2007 07:22:31 PM)

#25 | Back to Top03-10-2007 07:31:10 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Utena was not present at the time. This may indicate that Anthy was yearning for something else even back then, though perhaps without knowing it. It also implies that Utena's instinct about Anthy was correct on a very deep level, although there are certain complications she does not know about just then.

Last edited by brian (03-10-2007 07:31:52 PM)

Board footer