This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-10-2015 12:08:35 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!??

Anyone watching this? It's a really good magical girl parody. Or a horrible mess of fanservice and pandering. Or both.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/b320cf05482edabddc2737bd427acd041420480756_full_zps69aa566e.jpg~original

Either way, it's obviously too knowledgeable about the magical girl genre for the School Council not to be an SKU reference, IMO.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#2 | Back to Top02-10-2015 01:17:53 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Re: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!??

I'm really enjoying this show. I think its main strength is that there are many "angles" to the humour:

* Normal running jokes & gag humour, e.g. the Weekend At Bernies teacher
* Seinfeldian conversations (the writers for this show also worked on Daily Lives Of High School Boys, which had this in spades)
* Parodying Magical Girl show tropes - whenever something happens that doesn't really make sense, but you just accept it because it's a MGS, you can count on one of the characters calmly pointing it out
* Lampshading the weird gender stuff in Magical Girl shows by having boys do the same things
* Other referential humour, especially the Utena stuff (sinister student council, exploiting maladjusted students to create the monster of the week)
* An evil hedgehog

Hopefully it will stay fresh the whole season, the monster of the week thing needs to change soon.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#3 | Back to Top02-10-2015 04:16:39 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I love this one with a passion, bonus points for godly Kamiya Hiroshi voicing the evil student council president.

I like it for the same reasons purplepolecat mentioned. The way the characters react to the craziness only makes it funnier. Yumoto's cuddling paranoia is always hilarious and it is fun how the boys alway end up having some naked bonding time at his bath.

I think the monster of the week format is about to if not exactly change then at least be improved upon. I haven't seen the latest episode but [there was some development in the reveal that Kinshirou used to be Atsushi's friend when they were both kids, this before he took a turn for the social Darwinist and teamed up with an evil green hedgehog in order to take over the world, that is.]

Is it just me or the third Student Council member seems to be a bit out of place? Kinshirou clearly puts him in place, Akoya is completely on board with the whole weird aristocracy thing they have going on but the third guy whose name I cannot even recall seems to think it's all a tad silly. He'd probably be more at home in the Earth Defense Club but his attitude makes the Student Council come across as even more lolzy than it would otherwise be.

#4 | Back to Top02-10-2015 08:30:54 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

You guys have convinced me. Grabbing it now.

But you know, not like I really needed much convincing anyway. emot-rolleyesemot-rofl

Last edited by Syora (02-10-2015 08:31:24 PM)

#5 | Back to Top02-10-2015 10:48:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

"Your inability to see disposable chopsticks as anything but chopsticks was your downfall!"

Protip: If you grip your disposable chopsticks at the bottom, you will usually get a more even split.  Remember this advice.  You never know when it will save you from becoming a chopstick monster.

#6 | Back to Top02-11-2015 03:04:56 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

purplepolecat wrote:

* An evil hedgehog

Hopefully it will stay fresh the whole season, the monster of the week thing needs to change soon.

*An evil green hedgehog, in fact emot-rofl

And possibly an evil goldfish. Kuma shock?
As well I like how the defeated monster reverts back to a human looking like they just had the best orgasm of their life.

I agree, this is about the time when established routines start breaking up in good animes. I am really hoping this happens, because when I watch this show I have a massive goofy grin on my face the whole time. It kind of hurts my face. But it feels good.

Last edited by YamPuff (02-11-2015 03:24:50 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#7 | Back to Top02-11-2015 04:14:23 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Oh this is great etc-love I know I'll much this up in a day or two.

My favorite student council member is Griffitena

http://s21.postimg.org/6y3q49v2f/Untitled1.png

Kireiiiii *.*

#8 | Back to Top02-12-2015 03:29:29 PM

malna
Caretaker

So I gave it a try, too. I've just finished watching the first episode and I can't decide yet whether it was more hilarious or disturbing but I'm definitely intrigued.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#9 | Back to Top02-14-2015 11:37:38 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

'Hilarious and disturbing' might as well be the tag lines for the show.

Snow wrote:

Kireiiiii *.*

I'm drawing chibis of all the Love Makers but this pretty specimen is definitely on my to-draw list as well. I just can't say no to pink-haired anime guys. XD
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/sparkling_prince_by_yampuff-d8epui3_zpsfrikcrky.png~original

#10 | Back to Top02-14-2015 02:16:56 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

That's an adorable Yumoto!

Can you draw the Student Council President? A guy who can have serious discussions about world domination with a green hedgehog and who knows his tea cannot help but have my admiration.

#11 | Back to Top02-14-2015 02:53:06 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

That's an adorable Yumoto!

Can you draw the Student Council President? A guy who can have serious discussions about world domination with a green hedgehog and who knows his tea cannot help but have my admiration.

Hehe, thanks! I've done Yumoto & Yufuin so far. I think I'll draw glasses dude next (still picking up on the names). The way I'm going I'll probably be drawing all characters, including the Wombat.

What's really funny to me is how Ugly the Wombat is. Like, they even made him pink with hearts but still drew him really freaking ugly. That makes me laugh.

#12 | Back to Top02-14-2015 03:06:50 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Oh, do post Yufuin! It amuses me how much he looks like Lockon from Gundam 00.

Don't let Yumoto hear you, as far as he knows Wombat is cute and needs some serious cuddling emot-rofl The hedgehog is really cute, though. Zundar-sama!
Speaking of names, I still don't know the name of the third Student Council members.

#13 | Back to Top02-14-2015 03:58:08 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

That chibi is adorable etc-love!

YamPuff wrote:

I think I'll draw glasses dude next (still picking up on the names).

Can't wait to see Glasses-kun!

And is it just me, or is Yufuin's seiyuu channeling Tomokazu Sugita's Gintoki quite a bit? I was surprised when I saw that wasn't him (Sugita voices Yumoto's brother, however).

Nocturnalux wrote:

Speaking of names, I still don't know the name of the third Student Council members.

Me neither emot-frown. I call that one Magic Makoto since his mannerisms and role in the council (somewhat) resemble Makoto from Free!.
And he's, you know...magic.

Ok, I admit that's pretty bad emot-gonk.

#14 | Back to Top02-14-2015 04:04:11 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I love Makoto from Free! and now that you mention it, I do see the connection! He also seems to be less into world domination than the others so I hope we get to find out a bit about him. I wonder how he even got recruited to the Student Council in the first place when he's so nonchalant about the whole deal.
Now I can't help but imagine Ryuu as Rin and Io as Nitori.

And I agree that despite not sharing the same seyiuu Yufuin is very much like Gintoki.

EDIT: The third Student Council member's name is Arima Ibushi. ((有馬 燻)

Last edited by Nocturnalux (02-14-2015 09:19:37 PM)

#15 | Back to Top02-16-2015 03:17:18 AM

Internal Clock
Wakaba Wrangler

*wanders into thread*

Snow wrote:

emot-rofl
is that the actual name of the character or did you just combine the names 'Griffith' and 'Utena' because that character totally looks that part

#16 | Back to Top02-16-2015 10:30:57 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Internal Clock wrote:

or did you just combine the names 'Griffith' and 'Utena'

Yup!

fig. 2
http://s8.postimg.org/9my3y7o7p/tumblr_nhs5o8t_VQV1rmue8xo1_1280.png
omfg so cute I'm going to die!etc-love

Ahem emot-redface His name is actually Akoya Gero, sorry.

Last edited by Snow (02-16-2015 12:33:12 PM)

#17 | Back to Top02-16-2015 05:36:51 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I feel like I need to know a lot more about Japanese cuisine to follow these conversations.

Aside from that this show is pretty amazing.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#18 | Back to Top02-17-2015 01:17:47 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

Oh, do post Yufuin! It amuses me how much he looks like Lockon from Gundam 00.

Don't let Yumoto hear you, as far as he knows Wombat is cute and needs some serious cuddling emot-rofl The hedgehog is really cute, though. Zundar-sama!

Here you go!
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2015/042/b/a/flashing_prince_by_yampuff-d8hk9jc.png

EDIT: Episode 7! In which homoerotic tensions simmer and Yumoto rapes Wombat with cuddles. Wtfery.
Also, this happens.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/otp_zps84bxipyl.jpg~original

I love this show so much. etc-love

Last edited by YamPuff (02-17-2015 01:03:06 PM)

#19 | Back to Top02-17-2015 08:30:24 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Adorable Yufuin!

This episode was...pure...GOLD. That is all. I don't even, the show ships itself for great measure, sends the boys to a gay beach and then there are those hilarious Detective Conan references. And wow, all that Ryuu/Io.

And Arima is still, 'oh lol, what is going on here? Oh well, let me just go my merry way'.

Kinshirou getting all flustered was delicious and Griffitta braids his hair on holidays! It's cute.

#20 | Back to Top02-18-2015 02:26:58 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

Adorable Yufuin!

This episode was...pure...GOLD. That is all. I don't even, the show ships itself for great measure, sends the boys to a gay beach and then there are those hilarious Detective Conan references. And wow, all that Ryuu/Io.

And Arima is still, 'oh lol, what is going on here? Oh well, let me just go my merry way'.

Kinshirou getting all flustered was delicious and Griffitta braids his hair on holidays! It's cute.

^ This. All of it.

I'm starting to wonder if Yumoto is the true villain of the series. school-devil

#21 | Back to Top02-18-2015 06:50:36 AM

malna
Caretaker

I couldn't agree more, this episode... emot-biggrin

Griffena's romantic hairstyle and Yumoto/Wombat feeling good "where anyone could see" and Yufuin's unperturbed "you smell nice, Mr President" comment and just about everything was perfect.

YamPuff, I was hoping for your chibi Yufuin. He is a favorite of mine and my friend's - I'll be sure to share with her.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#22 | Back to Top02-18-2015 08:41:48 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Again an adorable chibi etc-love

This anime makes me want to create a Tumblr account just so I could watch infinite loops of Yufuin running his hand through his hair and Atsushi straightening his coat, and I'm pretty sure someone made those. Those two moments have me replaying the transformations about ten times each episode.

Sekushi.

[There are no orgasms, only LOVE SHOWERS!!!]

Last edited by Snow (02-18-2015 08:42:19 AM)

#23 | Back to Top02-18-2015 01:36:16 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

Adorable Yufuin!

^ This. All of it.

I'm starting to wonder if Yumoto is the true villain of the series. school-devil

You know, that would make perfect sense. [After all, apart from molesting poor Wombat on every single given opportunity he was the one who used Io's toothbrush despite having brought his own electric frog one. Now why would he do that if not to spread panic?]

I'm waiting for Io to realize that selling slashy material of himself/Ryuu, Ryuu/Griffithena, etc, etc, would about actually make him a pretty yen. He would then go out of his way to stage such situations, record them and sell to the highest bidder.

And that moment when they realize that for all his talk we never actually see Ryuu with any girls. Then again, so far there have been zero girls in Binan. emot-dance

#24 | Back to Top02-18-2015 02:11:10 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

You know, I thought my main pairing  for this series would be glasses and the student council president since I'm a sucker for "we used to be friends but now we're on different sides but I still long for you secretly!" type ships. And I still am interested to see where that's going... But man, Io/Ryuu really snuck up on me! I like them a lot after the last few episodes, they're so cute together.

I wish these people had easier to remember names. I always have issues remembering names, but I seem to be having particular trouble with this show. In the beginning I started calling the main character Nagisa and after a while I legit forgot that his name wasn't actually Nagisa, haha.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#25 | Back to Top02-20-2015 03:34:40 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

All of their names are quite unusual plus they have nicknames PLUS some use their first names and some their last depending on how close they are to each other. So glasses dude gets called Atsushi, At-chan and Kinugawa. My brain can't keep up.

Glad you guys are liking the chibis! I am drawing At-chan next!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/11007942_412822795550598_471719605_n_zpsbpqkabzi.jpg~original

Board footer