This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top12-28-2013 07:16:05 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Say WHUT? Share your speech habits!

Pratyeka wrote:

ETA: in Japanese, my verbal ticks are "tabun..." (probably...), ~kedo/da kedo (but~), and using the ~nakucha form when I have to do something.

For a moment I misunderstood you to mean that these are some pieces of Japanese that find their way into your English.  I thought the last one in particular was pretty funny.  "Geez, guys, I'd love to go out with you tonight, but studynakucha."

#77 | Back to Top12-28-2013 07:24:22 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

It took me going to China to realize I don't enunciate my Rs in many words (aside from just dropping Gs and Ts off words) unless it's a deliberate Spanish R. There's no R sound in "weren't" but there is a D in my "wasn't." emot-rolleyes

Course, I'm better at work than off the clock, and I can fake a good, clean enunciating accent or received pronunciation and intonation, and do for public speaking or (most) recordings. But, until I was suddenly responsible not just for students' word choice or ability to talk at auditorium levels and stop using head voice, I wasn't significantly conscious of how accent-y my accent is.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#78 | Back to Top12-28-2013 09:31:50 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

I tend to talk to myself when I'm doing my work. Often, I wind up lapsing into an English accent. What's odd is that, lately, it's been manifesting with Scottish trills.

No, I'm not English. Or Scottish. Or Welsh if that's going to be the next question. Still, I blame the Britcoms that I used to watch when I was younger.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#79 | Back to Top12-28-2013 12:14:46 PM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

With the enormous list of wonderfully creative and elaborate cuss words in my language, I still wonder how on Earth was I able to pretty much not use them at all until I was about 16. Now I use them for precision strikes...and bad temper explosions when something goes to hell. It's a pretty good vent for aggression.
English cuss words, now them I use like commas in every sentence. It's my true self showing in a foreign language emot-rofl

I often do the drama music sound (dun dun dunnnn) in real life, to the general annoyance of my friends and colleagues trying to take something seriously.
Also, there's the Anime Scary Girl Giggle I do when I try to make people uncomfortable...It never works though, but is pretty fun!

#80 | Back to Top12-29-2013 02:40:12 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

satyreyes wrote:

For a moment I misunderstood you to mean that these are some pieces of Japanese that find their way into your English.  I thought the last one in particular was pretty funny.  "Geez, guys, I'd love to go out with you tonight, but studynakucha."

Luckily it hasn't become that weird yet. I think.

Board footer