This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-22-2017 01:24:02 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

I made a video essay about the color yellow

Hey all. I've lurked here for some while but never posted. I spent the last few weeks making a far too long video discussing the color yellow, and figured if anyone would want to watch, it would be all of you.

If you take the time to watch it, I hope you enjoy it and it can spark some discussion. I'm curious to see if anyone agrees or disagrees that Utena is being compared to Anthy's rescued cat in her first loss to Touga, or if anyone has written about that before. Happy to finally have a reason to post, I've read a lot of good stuff here over the past year or so.

Edit: https://youtu.be/_K82d46wBPM is the link if the embedded player doesn't work.

Last edited by Crabe (10-11-2017 11:33:31 PM)

#2 | Back to Top07-22-2017 03:57:41 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: I made a video essay about the color yellow

If you can't view it because of your location and don't want to use a proxy, I also uploaded it to dailymotion http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ui19g, hopefully that will work.

#3 | Back to Top07-24-2017 01:24:40 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

emot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaa

Holy shit, this is long but well worth the watch! Hey, can we put it in the analysis section? I don't know if that's possible, but I'd love to do it!

Thanks so much for sharing this, it's great! etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top07-24-2017 03:43:54 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Glad you enjoyed it! I had to edit out about 15 minutes worth of script, and it still came out too long haha. Feel free to put it in the list, it would be in good company. I'm not sure how exactly things end up on there.

#5 | Back to Top07-25-2017 10:25:25 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

If you mean the list that's stickied at the top of the forum, one of the mods puts it up there, and I'll happily do that. But I mean on the site, in the Analysis section, along with all the other essays. I'd probably just embed it from Youtube so that people can click through to your channel. Is that okay? Normally I don't have the patience to watch anything longer than about two minutes, but this is good enough that I sat through the whole thing. I'd love to put it on the site. emot-keke

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top07-25-2017 04:35:08 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

That's fine with me! I appreciate the kind words, it means a lot. emot-biggrin I'm planning on making another Utena video at some point in the next few weeks, I'll definitely post it here when it's finished. Hopefully it will be much shorter than this one!

#7 | Back to Top07-27-2017 10:25:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Definitely do post it here! The forum is a little slow, but still gets heavily referenced .

Actually, do you have a tumblr post I could reblog/would you allow me to make one? A lot of people there really love SKU analysis too.

#8 | Back to Top07-28-2017 02:25:59 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

I don't have a tumblr, but if you have a place to post it that's cool with me. I would make sure to include the Dailymotion link too since the video's blocked in a lot of countries.

#9 | Back to Top07-28-2017 10:21:41 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Awesome, I will reblog this on tumblr. This is totally worth the watch and I want to share it with as many people as possible. emot-keke

#10 | Back to Top07-29-2017 09:46:39 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch this and I agree with Yasha - your analysis is excellent and definitely worth watching.  I had never noticed a possible connection between Utena and the cat, but your reasoning there seems solid. Besides the aesthetic similarity in the scenes you discussed (Utena on all fours, like the cat), they're both naive creatures being used by someone to get the attention of someone else. Considering all the other colours used in the show, I'm going to have to pay even more attention during my next rewatch!

Last edited by ShinraiTenchi (07-29-2017 09:47:18 PM)

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#11 | Back to Top07-30-2017 11:53:45 AM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks Shinrai! I watched the series again with colors in mind to make the video, it was a different perspective than I'm used to. I feel pretty set in my interpretation of yellow, but I honestly have some trouble with the other colors. The red rose in the scene where Anthy and Utena discuss the Borgias has always confused me, along with how the background changes to orange at dramatic moments.

#12 | Back to Top10-09-2017 03:59:35 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I finally just watched this! One of the things I adore ‘bout SKU are the little details that can add so much more to the overall meaning of the series. And whenever people make essays/posts/etc on that stuff it makes me giddy with another reason to appreciate this dang anime. I loved the video

Last edited by Empress_Arcana (10-09-2017 04:01:39 PM)

This binch be postin' once every century

#13 | Back to Top10-09-2017 10:10:03 PM

Crabe
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks Arcana! I agree on the little details, Utena is the only piece of fiction I've read/watched where I think everything actually means something. I'm sure there are others (I need to reread some books), but the attention to detail in Utena really is incredible. Currently I'm struggling to find something as interesting to write about that someone else hasn't already covered. emot-gonk

Edit: Oh my God I just rewatched the video and it is full of audio mistakes and I regret everything

I fixed it now

Last edited by Crabe (10-11-2017 11:33:47 PM)

Board footer