This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top04-23-2013 02:28:09 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Nutrition and Education

Ugh. Seriously. People need to get over the idea of brainwashing. First off, internets can't brainwash you if you don't already want to believe (see: furries and the bad kind of bronies). Second, any person who tries to be anorexic/bulimic/orthorexic without having some very strong life circumstances driving them in that direction, or some issues with compulsive behavior, will fail and give it up. The things that are done under the auspices of an eating disorder are straight up too hard for "normal" people to manage.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#77 | Back to Top04-23-2013 07:47:41 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

Amen. Seriously, it doesn't take long for the body to say hell fucking no, enough of this noise. Starvation isn't for the faint of heart and not just anyone can deal with the taxing effects on the body and mind. It's like people forget how absolutely crazy it is to do the things people with eating disorders do, why the hell would anyone non disordered and completely mentally healthy be convinced by some random on the internet to give up all the foods they love or make themselves puke regularly emot-confused emot-rolleyes The misconceptions about eating disorders, how you get them and the people who have them are shockingly high for such a prevalent problem

#78 | Back to Top07-24-2013 11:07:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Found an article that I thought deserved to be linked here. It discusses, at great length, obesity as an epidemic, food marketing, and how junk foods are engineered to be as addictive as possible. There's even a discussion of bliss points and interviews with the creators of some of these products.

For instance, Lunchables. Innocent seeming, right? Apparently they're actually super unhealthy, and include massive amounts of sugar whenever possible. I never had them, but almost everyone I know did.

Everyone knows Cheetos Puffs are bad for you, but did you ever stop to think that the thing you are eating has been engineered to dissolve in your mouth to convince you that it has no calories? There's even a term for that: vanishing caloric density.

Anyway, check out New York Times]The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food. I did have it posted here, but apparently credit and link aren't fair use enough. Boooooo.

I really want to read this guy's book now though.

Last edited by Yasha (07-25-2013 04:12:05 PM)

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#79 | Back to Top07-25-2013 06:40:01 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

D8

Talk about using science for unethical purposes.

#80 | Back to Top07-25-2013 08:28:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Dude. This is tangentially related (it does have food so I'm still on topic!!), so have some psychology being used for unethical purposes as a chaser. It's an interview with Gilbert Clotaire Rapaille, who used to work with autistic children. Apparently he developed some sort of theory of the encoding of first memories in his work, and has used that to astounding effect in marketing. Basically, this guy has tapped into your subconscious, what he calls your reptilian brain. He knows what it wants.

Ever admired a PT Cruiser? Well, that was his work.

Why did coffee catch on in Japan? Well, that was his work too.

What about Jeep? Why the round headlights, why the iconic little front grille design they use as a logo? I'll quote from a blog I found...

For example, Jeep hired Rapiaille to update their image. They wants a sleeker, SUV-type look that was dominating the market. Rapaille instead found that people associated Jeep with the American West, freedom, and cowboys – the code is “horse”. He suggested making the headlights round, to draw out that “horse” association. Jeep sales rose. In Europe, however, there is a different association. Jeeps are connected with American forces that came in during WWI and WWII, and so have the code “liberator”. The ad campaigns in Europe began to focus on the history of the Jeep, and the freedom it gives.

So, uh, yeah. Read this too if you liked the other one. It's PBS's interview with G. Clotaire Rapaille, part of their series, The Persuaders.

#81 | Back to Top07-25-2013 08:30:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

That first article is fascinating because it demonstrates how much the system is really built to abuse us as consumers. The products people want to sell, because they're cheap to make or are very addictive, are the forefront. It's the easiest product to find, and your average consumer hasn't really asked if what they're selling is really what they say it is. It's actually very hard to shop nutritionally smart.

I will admit I'm a huge user of cheap meats that are probably stuffed with hormones and antibiotics. I get them close to expiration when it's 30% off. Nutritionally speaking, I could be doing better here, but the cost of that particular upgrade is incredibly steep. That said, I do read labels on any prepared or processed product. No, I won't buy the peanut butter that has HFCS in it. I won't buy the jam that only has 10% real fruit and uses the rest to chemically convince you that the fruit is high quality and flavorful, even if it wasn't because it was grown out of season.

But it's very difficult. I can critically analyze these products and the ingredients in them because I do have college level training that teaches me these skills. The average consumer probably doesn't understand why the peanut butter that has no HFCS is the better one. The low fat low calorie versions of everything appeal because as a nation we've been taught FAT AND CALORIES BAD. But read the ingredients. They compensate for the lack of flavor by adding sugar, and they only mimic the texture of full fat yogurt with stabilizers and jellies. But the food industry has done a masterful job training the population at large to think these items are an improvement. First it sold us unhealthy things because we wanted it. Now we regret that, and the industry has has followed along. The slightly educated consumer now obediently purchases any that's 2% fat or lower, or says 100 calories on it.  But those are almost never healthy food choices. The industry will never offer that without a heavy price tag. Because it is hard to make, it's expensive, and most people can't afford that kind of selectiveness when they barely have enough to buy a box of mac n cheese.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#82 | Back to Top07-25-2013 08:35:52 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

There is always the old standby-- "Don't buy anything with ingredients you don't recognize." But then, you'd said that was a lot harder in Florida.

Also, your mac'n'cheese (and mine too) is probably full of cellulose from wood chips. And that's actually one of the better things they could be adding emot-gonk

Board footer