This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-15-2013 01:47:46 AM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Pacific Rim

I swear to God, this movie rocked. It was awesome and didn't fail to deliver in any way.

Okay, maybe in the characterization, but there's the whole "we cut an entire hour of footage which had that", so I'm sure a Director's Cut or deleted scenes in the DVD will fix this, but whatever, that's not my point.

This IS the mecha movie. It has rocket punch, breast fire, Getter Robo Armageddon, it has motherfucking kaiju and a fucking awesome soundtrack.

And the visuals were amazing. Everything is clear and visible, unlike Bayformers, and the 3D is not distracting nor does it make the movie darker at all. It looks so fucking good, a movie in 3D hasn't looked THIS good since, well, Avatar. And this coming from someone who isn't really into 3D.

I really, really love this movie.

http://cdn.chud.com/8/8d/8dbede28_PacificRimPunch.gif

Anyone else watched this?

#2 | Back to Top07-15-2013 02:32:25 AM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: Pacific Rim

I've watch it, it was a fun action flick despite it flaws; All of Jaegers looked great, the Kaijus while not on par with Evangelion in regards to variety were well designed, the action were well done and arguably on par with Mitsuo Iso work in End of Evangelion but on the other of the Spectrum; The plot aside from some standout moments was badly told-Cliched mess, the humor was Cringeworthy, The acting was as melodramatic as it gets with actors lacking any charisma in their performances and it was filled with cliches.

40% End of Evangelion when it comes to its action scenes and 60% Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 when it comes to plot.
7/10

#3 | Back to Top07-15-2013 07:53:11 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Saw it and loved it. Especially Newt. (Was that his name? The professor with glasses.) I also loved Ron Perlman's character (I forgot his name also..)  It was awesome for what it was - an over the top mecha movie.  I hope we see more mecha movies in the future! I'll definitely be buying this one when the DVD comes out.

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#4 | Back to Top07-15-2013 10:20:09 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

I swear to God, this movie rocked. It was awesome and didn't fail to deliver in any way.

Holy cow, really?!  I saw the trailer a few months ago and wrote the movie off completely as just another embarrassing high-budget catastrophe, except this one had GLaDOS in it.  If it came out well, I'm floored.  Thanks for the rec!

#5 | Back to Top07-15-2013 10:47:49 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Saw it last night.

The Jeager vs Kaiju action was unbelievably good. Jaw-dropping. Eyes popping out of head. etc-saiowank

Lots of anime references, but nothing too blatant. You can tell that del Toro is aware of all the popular mecha series.

The human characters were pretty standard and could have been lifted out of any alien invasion movie. The dialog was nothing special.

Charlie Day (from Always Sunny In Philadelphia) was funny. I'm pretty sure he huffed a bag of glue before he Drifted with the Kaiju brain.

In summary, if you want to see robots punching monsters, this movie will more than satisfy you. It is the best robots-punching-monsters movie ever made.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#6 | Back to Top07-15-2013 10:54:57 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

purplepolecat wrote:

In summary, if you want to see robots punching monsters, this movie will more than satisfy you. It is the best robots-punching-monsters movie ever made.

Agreed. You want a plot or symbolism, look elsewhere - this is all about the action.

#7 | Back to Top07-17-2013 01:29:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I had a coworker say 'I don't get it, Transformers was way cooler looking.'

emot-frown

I wonder if that whole extra hour will be put in a director's cut? This is becoming an interesting trend in film where every movie gets a 'director's cut' when it's released for home. I think it makes studios push harder for that perfect 1:45 min movie regardless of the vision of the director. On one hand, some director's need that. On the other...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top07-17-2013 01:36:31 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Giovanna wrote:

That sounds like something a cow orker would say, all right.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#9 | Back to Top07-17-2013 04:18:25 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

emot-frown

I know that feel. Many of these went to watch Grown Ups 2 too.

Truly, there are worse people than Shiori.

Giovanna wrote:

I wonder if that whole extra hour will be put in a director's cut? This is becoming an interesting trend in film where every movie gets a 'director's cut' when it's released for home. I think it makes studios push harder for that perfect 1:45 min movie regardless of the vision of the director. On one hand, some director's need that. On the other...

del Toro said he was going to add deleted scenes, no director's cut, sadly. But that's the only thing that's been confirmed so far. Maybe, just maybe, he'll do a Director's Cut in the BD/DVD release if there's enough demand and the movie does well in theaters.

#10 | Back to Top07-19-2013 04:57:40 PM

Solarn
New Student

purplepolecat wrote:

Saw it last night.

The Jeager vs Kaiju action was unbelievably good. Jaw-dropping. Eyes popping out of head. etc-saiowank

Lots of anime references, but nothing too blatant. You can tell that del Toro is aware of all the popular mecha series.

I think del Toro actually said that he had deliberately avoided any mecha anime before making the film, so as not to be influenced in any particular direction.

#11 | Back to Top07-30-2013 09:06:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Just saw it with OITL!  She says she very much enjoyed Live Action Gurren Genesis Titan.  emot-rofl

I did too.  I went in with a very low bar, and the movie easily cleared it with the power of its back-mounted rocket thrusters.  Easily the worst movie I've seen in years, but in a good way.  Highlights: we are all so manly that we scowl so much it hurts so we scowl more; swords are always better than plasma cannons; of course the main character's Japanese fangirl is the only compliant character in the movie; the source of my evil is my golden shoes; gravity pulls harder on fish than on water; how many poor families could have been fed by the amount of money it cost to create one frame of this explosion; oh god this is the best explosion ever.

#12 | Back to Top07-30-2013 09:07:21 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

TRENCHCOAT ULTIMATUMS.

#13 | Back to Top07-30-2013 09:48:40 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Don't forget the score which is heavy on concerto for symphony orchestra and buzzsaw guitar (played by soloist Tom Morello).

Here's a track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiAr5dF0IMg

Last edited by Nova (07-30-2013 09:50:54 PM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#14 | Back to Top07-31-2013 07:40:27 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Just saw this yesterday. My brother pointed out that though it was narm-tastic, he didn't mind it in the end. Also having watched much more mecha anime than I have, he recognized many more of the anime references than I did.

And I agree with satyr that it's the worst movie I've paid to see in the theater in a long time, but I'm not upset about that at all. Paradoxically, I also think it's a step in the right direction. In terms of live-action giant robot movies, it's got a hell of a lot more heart than Bay's Transformers franchise (which I think we can all agree is soulless dreck). Just look at the emphasis on cooperation throughout the movie.

I think they probably could have cut out one fight scene in favor of more drama and character development, as well as backstory on the other Jaeger pilots. (Except the Hansens; I'm pretty sure they were meant to be one-dimensional.)

The 3-D was worth it, and this is coming from someone who often writes it off as a gimmick.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

Board footer