This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#551 | Back to Top10-19-2015 08:45:52 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Fans of Le Television

I managed to watch the whole of Kill La Kill without seeing the SKU connection that apparently everyone else thought was so obvious. Even the Akio car went over my head. With that said, I really enjoyed it for what it was: a crazy, crazy romp that is visually stunning, at times creepy but hardly ever serious. Even when it tries to bring on some genuine drama it did not resonate with me but the 'is this weirder than FLCL? I think so!' element kept me very entertained.

#552 | Back to Top12-13-2015 09:33:40 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Current obsessions: Scream Queens, The Muppets, and The Great British Baking Show.

I am ready and eager to discuss any of these.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#553 | Back to Top12-14-2015 06:08:13 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

I managed to watch the whole of Kill La Kill without seeing the SKU connection that apparently everyone else thought was so obvious. Even the Akio car went over my head.

To be honest, I don't see it either, except for shots like the beginning of that sequence, that aren't ripping on SKU so much as drawing from the same style of shots that SKU uses. But if you want heavyhanded SKU-worship courtesy of Gainax, you watch the Eva rebuild movies.

No I'm serious. It's like bash your head into a wall blatant.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#554 | Back to Top12-14-2015 11:34:20 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I was too busy being annoyed at Rebuild to notice much in terms of anything else, to be honest. From the chins, to plot developments I wish had never happened, almost everything apart from 1.The music score and 2.There being more Kaworu, had me fuming greatly.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (12-14-2015 11:37:11 AM)

#555 | Back to Top12-14-2015 11:48:52 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

MMmmmmm more Kaworu. etc-love

Yeah Rebuild is pretty iffy

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#556 | Back to Top12-22-2015 11:52:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The Lucifer pilot leaked.

*sigh*

I have to do this, you see. But I don't want to.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#557 | Back to Top12-26-2015 05:00:32 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I have to do this, you see. But I don't want to.

False start #1:

Checked out about 30 seconds in. He's driving an old Corvette (oh don't worry, totally different from Akio's because it's all black) at high speed through LA with no traffic in his way.

emot-rolleyes emot-rolleyes emot-rolleyes emot-rolleyes

#558 | Back to Top12-29-2015 11:58:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

:sigh:

This is essentially like watching any of the Brosnan Bonds after Goldeneye. The guy playing Lucifer is actually quite good at it and pulls off a great character. But the script and setting around him is complete shit and it's absolutely horrid. I can't see this surviving to a season two, and I don't think I could make myself watch more than the pilot.

It's a shame, because Carey's Lucifer IP is one of my few favorites. I hate seeing it get pissed on. emot-frown

#559 | Back to Top01-11-2016 05:32:38 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I am fairly certain that Dollhouse is now officially my number one Joss Whedon show. I just finished Season 2, and I feel a terrible emptiness knowing there is nothing more to see, greater than any unresolved plots from Buffy or any lingering mysteries from Firefly. I want to spend more time in this world with these characters.

I'm pained by the obvious rush to finish the narrative in two seasons, and really wish the entire narrative could have developed properly in the fullness of time.

But wow, nearly every crucial moment of the show ripped me apart.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#560 | Back to Top01-22-2016 09:09:40 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

We'd been teetering on checking out Dollhouse. I like the premise, and I thought it had potential. What you've said tips the balance a bit more-- it's definitely on the to-watch list now.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#561 | Back to Top01-22-2016 06:12:29 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Yasha wrote:

We'd been teetering on checking out Dollhouse. I like the premise, and I thought it had potential. What you've said tips the balance a bit more-- it's definitely on the to-watch list now.

I really hope you like it.

I know that my tastes run contrary to a lot of fans, so it may not touch you two like it touched me.

But yeah...it got me. It got me good. I was hooked from episode 1, which is something neither Buffy nor Firefly did for me.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#562 | Back to Top02-15-2016 01:42:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Jessica Jones has ruined David Tennant for me. I tried to watch an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks with him in it, but I only lasted about a minute before rage set in. What's even funnier is that I'm not a rabid Tennant fan like some people are.

#563 | Back to Top02-15-2016 02:18:08 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

:sigh:

This is essentially like watching any of the Brosnan Bonds after Goldeneye. The guy playing Lucifer is actually quite good at it and pulls off a great character. But the script and setting around him is complete shit and it's absolutely horrid. I can't see this surviving to a season two, and I don't think I could make myself watch more than the pilot.

It's a shame, because Carey's Lucifer IP is one of my few favorites. I hate seeing it get pissed on. emot-frown

We've watched the first three episodes. I really like Tom Ellis, Lauren German is pretty good, Rachael Harris has a great time with her role, and Scarlett Esteves is pretty endearing as far as kid actors go. And... that's it. We keep watching because Tom Ellis is just so utterly charming and also they show him shirtless a couple times every episode, but honestly, I am fucking over procedurals. FUCK SUPERNATURAL PROCEDURALS. THERE IS GRIMM, THERE IS NEW XFILES*, THERE IS SLEEPY HOLLOW, FOREVER GOT CANCELLED. Fucking hell, you could even lump gimmicky procedurals, like iZombie or Castle in there. I'M FUCKING DONE WITH IT ALL.

*which I don't really care about since I never watched they original, but there's an episode with Rhys Darby that I caught while making dinner that was pretty awesome. Of course, Rhys Darby is just unutterably darling.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#564 | Back to Top02-15-2016 02:54:26 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Jessica Jones has ruined David Tennant for me. I tried to watch an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks with him in it, but I only lasted about a minute before rage set in. What's even funnier is that I'm not a rabid Tennant fan like some people are.

It's so jarring knowing David Tennant as The Doctor for 5 years and then trying to adjust to his other roles

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#565 | Back to Top03-06-2016 12:43:01 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

In love with Ladybug and Cat Noir at the moment. Cute. Good fights. And, I don't have to worry about dropping in and out as someone who can't keep up with serial tv well.

Lucifer has definitely been put on the backburner, as something I'll stream with my mom sometime when we both need something in the background for several hours, but probably won't touch again until then.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#566 | Back to Top03-08-2016 03:45:11 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

MissMocha wrote:

We've watched the first three episodes. I really like Tom Ellis, Lauren German is pretty good, Rachael Harris has a great time with her role, and Scarlett Esteves is pretty endearing as far as kid actors go. And... that's it. We keep watching because Tom Ellis is just so utterly charming and also they show him shirtless a couple times every episode, but honestly, I am fucking over procedurals. FUCK SUPERNATURAL PROCEDURALS. THERE IS GRIMM, THERE IS NEW XFILES*, THERE IS SLEEPY HOLLOW, FOREVER GOT CANCELLED. Fucking hell, you could even lump gimmicky procedurals, like iZombie or Castle in there. I'M FUCKING DONE WITH IT ALL.

I was never big on procedurals, and though people are trying new things with the framework, it gets old incredibly quick. Hannibal was the last time I enjoyed one and it was really only a procedural on any level in the first season. There's just so much good TV being made now I don't understand why everyone insists on jamming perfectly good ideas into procedurals. (WTF Gotham???)

The choice of Carey's Lucifer being turned into a procedural is literally painful to my brain and I cry unholy tears of blood at the thought that the beautiful (BLOND) creature from Gaiman/Carey's universe would stoop so low as to give a flying fuck about any one human or several. There's really nothing except the premise that the devil left hell to tie the comic to this show. Carey's Lucifer is BLONDE, entirely self-important, uninterested in humans, and not at all sexual despite being hot as fuck.

Which would indeed have been a waste of Tom Ellis, who is cute (but not blonde) and definitely appears to love playing up the sexy devil thing. I'm not sure how glad I am to see that in this day and age, threesomes and marijuana are considered SUPER FRISKY BEHAVIOR literally on the level of the lord of darkness himself, but w/e.  It's enjoyable enough that I'll sneak it here and there on my phone at work, but I don't see this show getting better. It's a bad sign when Fox mixes up episode order. If your characters change so little in the show that you can do that, you're probably not off to a good start anyway. And I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest or indicate we're getting parts of the comic at all.

Also WTF, Satan's psychiatrist stint was done better on Hannibal. And sexier. (Actually Mads' Hannibal is a more accurate rendition of Carey's Lucifer than this one is.)

#567 | Back to Top03-08-2016 11:12:46 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Rewatching a lot of Masters of Horror these days, and god that was an amazing tv series. Strong. Amazing directors. Great casts. Excellent scripts, often from wonderful source material. I've got The Screwfly Solution on right now and it's just brutally unrelenting in the best way. Too weird to die, too good to stay on the air more than two seasons.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#568 | Back to Top03-15-2016 12:44:34 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Just binged new season of House of Cards. Sweet Jesus this show. This show. I held urine for like three hours despite having a pause button and now need a smoke.

#569 | Back to Top07-24-2016 08:43:28 PM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

So....the American Gods trailer

The American Gods trailer etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0

#570 | Back to Top07-30-2016 05:39:49 AM

Sparky
Touga Topper

If you like horror or Steven Spielberg movies from the '80s you should really watch Stranger Things on Netflix like... ASAP. It's good.

#571 | Back to Top07-30-2016 10:51:29 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I keep seeing ads for Stranger Things and it does seem very cool, has something of an oldschool X Files vibes to it.

I am currently watching A Beautiful Mind, the ongoing K-drama. In many ways it is a few notches above series in the same vein so I am enjoying it quite a lot. Despite a less than wise choice in title (it immediately brings to mind the movie) it is actually rather original as far as K-drama goes. It follows a genius neurosurgeon who happens to suffer from antisocial personality disorder, lacking the ability to develop a sense of empathy. Then there is the typical very sweet female love interest to be and the third side of the triangle, a conflicted doctor. That is the typical template of the romantic K-drama series that in this case becomes less dull in that there is a mystery that results in a series of murder cases.

The almost episodic nature of the story with plenty of standalone medical cases and crises is very welcome as it injects suspense and genuine emotion into what could otherwise simply be a less than believable romance. The acting is very good as is so often the case in Korean drama but the writing is usually on point as well and avoids a lot of the most infuriating tropes such as the constant loop of flashbacks.

With all this said, it still has some issues. It stretches coincidences a lot, expect everyone to accidentally bump into the plot revelant person in the middle of Seoul. But more importantly, the antisocial personality disorder angle is a bit odd. Jang Hyuk does his best but his role is scripted in a way that is more akin to autism than anyting else. His lack of empathy forms the core of his character but the way he stares out into the distance, fails to notice nuance in language, cannot read facial expressions and body language unless he deliberately tries and relies so heavily on literal meanings seems to indicate autistic traits more than antisocial personality disorder.
This is rather baffling and all the more so in that the series tends to go somewhat technical about medical aspects. It becomes even stranger given that time and time every single character that is equipped to diagonise and has studied his condition states that he cannot feel emotions. Despite the fact that he expresses anger on plenty of occasions and often in the presence of said characters.

The series is the Korean response to Doctor House, in many ways. But since it is first and foremost a K-drama effort, it is full of fluttery moments and clunky romance that will probably become more a presence as the story progresses. It takes a very common premise of cold hearted arrogant male lead whose heart is thawed by spunky girl and frames it in extreme terms.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (07-30-2016 09:46:24 PM)

#572 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:10:17 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The two best things about Supergirl's sister being gay is a) they're super cute and the show thrives on blushing and stammering and sort of looking at cute people, and b) it's making some sexist gay men very, very angry. Even Queerty's having to talk about how quick to embrace "strong" straight women as a gay man that queer men can be, but the enemies remain, somehow, lesbians and women who won't fit the box we want them to.

#573 | Back to Top11-26-2016 11:46:53 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Only four vaguely ninety minute episodes, but Gilmore Girls is the first tv I've had to take in all at once, in a long time. And, I'm so used to here, I forget how awkwardly prudish the fandoms of other slash-happy and ship-crazed shows can be.

Sex is bad, mmmkay?

#574 | Back to Top02-05-2017 07:44:46 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Is anybody watching The Young Pope on HBO? It's a limited-run series starring Jude Law.

#575 | Back to Top02-10-2017 09:46:37 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Neither of these are on TV where I am but I'm watching Gi(a)rlish Number and Aria the Animation. I really like both so far!

This binch be postin' once every century

Board footer