This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-13-2008 12:00:53 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Newtype USA closes it's doors...

The Febuary issue of Newtype USA is going to be the last one. That's right folks: After three and a half years, NTUSA is gone. They announce it here:

http://www.newtype-usa.com/

...but fortunently, much of the staff has migrated to a new magazine: PiQ. http://piqmag.com/ Although it covers a wider subject array, I think you'll find a lot of what you liked will be in this, especially if you are a general geek.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#2 | Back to Top03-13-2008 01:19:00 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Re: Newtype USA closes it's doors...

Wow. Newtype USA was a pretty impressive mag. I didn't really read it a lot though since it was just too pricey for my budget. They don't really explain why they're stopping it though. The only issue I own is the very first premiere issue.

#3 | Back to Top03-13-2008 04:26:24 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rae wrote:

Wow. Newtype USA was a pretty impressive mag. I didn't really read it a lot though since it was just too pricey for my budget. They don't really explain why they're stopping it though. The only issue I own is the very first premiere issue.

You might just have stumbled on the answer right there, too pricy.

#4 | Back to Top03-13-2008 04:32:03 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

"...we can say that it had nothing to do with the magazine we produced, its pricing or its performance. Considering the number of hoops that were set before us each month, we made our way through each one and generated the best magazine we could." -Newtype

I'm thinking Management issues, actually.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#5 | Back to Top03-13-2008 05:49:19 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Anthiena wrote:

"...we can say that it had nothing to do with the magazine we produced, its pricing or its performance. Considering the number of hoops that were set before us each month, we made our way through each one and generated the best magazine we could." -Newtype

I'm thinking Management issues, actually.

It might aso have also been a licensing/cost of licensing issue with the name "Newtype."

#6 | Back to Top03-13-2008 07:56:33 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I found out about this maybe a month or so ago, and it was kind of disappointing.  But, at least I have every issue ever produced.  From what I hear, PiQ won't interest me, so I'll enjoy my library of NewType USAs.

I got it more for the pretty pictures than the news, anyway. emot-wink  Most of my anime news comes from ANN and AnimeOnDVD.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#7 | Back to Top03-13-2008 08:15:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I've no doubt bad management and about ten trillion other factors were at play here, but I kinda wonder if this isn't part of a larger problem. I think when anime 'exploded' in the US, the company presence actually outstripped the fan presence. For one thing, a lot of what fueled anime was the underground culture of it and I think it lost something when it was popularized. For another, the difficulty in obtaining anime meant a much more selective group of works got stateside. Now just about everything gets brought over if they think they'll possibly be in the green releasing it, so the market is saturated. That or anime just isn't as good these days. I wonder about that, also. Or maybe I'm old and crotchety waving my cane and being like BACK IN MY DAY WE BEGGED FOR FANSUBS OF FLAME OF RECCA AND WERE HAPPY TO GET THEM. When the fans decided so explicitly what anime was available, I think we did better. (This is still the case except now fansub groups are so popular that there's no selectivity.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top03-14-2008 06:11:27 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Giovanna wrote:

I've no doubt bad management and about ten trillion other factors were at play here, but I kinda wonder if this isn't part of a larger problem. I think when anime 'exploded' in the US, the company presence actually outstripped the fan presence. For one thing, a lot of what fueled anime was the underground culture of it and I think it lost something when it was popularized. For another, the difficulty in obtaining anime meant a much more selective group of works got stateside. Now just about everything gets brought over if they think they'll possibly be in the green releasing it, so the market is saturated. That or anime just isn't as good these days. I wonder about that, also. Or maybe I'm old and crotchety waving my cane and being like BACK IN MY DAY WE BEGGED FOR FANSUBS OF FLAME OF RECCA AND WERE HAPPY TO GET THEM. When the fans decided so explicitly what anime was available, I think we did better. (This is still the case except now fansub groups are so popular that there's no selectivity.)

Agreed. I'm so flustered about the whole US-anime industry. It just doesn't feel as special anymore. Still, I think that it's starting to lose its "fad" status. Once it dies down, I think it will all return to "normal". Still, in the end, the US industry is pretty hurt (as several companies have closed down, ie Geneon). When it was only selective, it seemed that they only released the "good" anime. I also agree with Gio that anime just isn't as good as it used to be. I think a mass of the new stuff is cliche'.

Wow. It was only ten years ago when the manga section at Borders was only a patch of a shelf. Now, it's got it's own huge block!. It's the same when you go to Suncoast or FYE!

Distros ... ahhhh, those were the days ....

Last edited by Rae (03-14-2008 06:16:36 AM)

#9 | Back to Top03-14-2008 01:01:43 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The internet wrote:

The quality of anime is going downhill.

From my perspective it's looking more and more like that's a percentage issue. We just had a bigger pool of back anime to draw from in, say, late 80's-2000 than we do now.  I've always tried my damndest to see anime as a medium just like anything else, with good and bad aspects... and out of curiosity a few months ago and checked the original Japanese airing times of series I thought were amazing/entertaining. What I've discovered is that while the stuff I really enjoyed was released at about the same frequency as it is now, I -felt- like more anime was enjoyable back in the day because in the late 90's I was experiencing all the gems of the last few decades over a span of two years. I'm pretty sure I got to see Utena and Eva within a few weeks of eachother. This isn't going to happen on the sub scene today because episodes get subbed within days/hours of airing and if I were watching them in real time 10 years ago it would've become apparent that they were released two years apart.

I'm pretty happy about the direction things are going in, though. A lot of my favourite releases are smaller series that I couldn't exactly count on to wander my way 10 years ago, so while a lot of crap gets to come through the sub gates these days a lot of small cult favourites get to be discovered as well. Hell, SKU isn't your typical big product either, and if it wasn't for the BSSM connection it probably would've never gotten the following it developed. I know a lot of you didn't like BSSM, but I'd seriously be surprised if BSSM (or something with equal popularity that shared staff with Utena) didn't have something to do with you eventually discovering it.

And about the actual death of Newtype. I'm willing to bet it wasn't selling as well as it was expected. Here's the thing. Anime kind of has a dual-culture right now in the first place. From what I've seen, the fansub scene seems to be an entirely different community than the people buying the big name English releases. I have a couple 13ish year old girls in my immediate family that are the very picture of that Sasuke fangirl, and Japanese (geek) culture isn't exactly an interest of theirs yet. NTUSA probably put a lot of weight on name recognition, and to this particular crowd they're just another anime magazine at Boarders. The weeaboos who really obsess over 2ch and know what Newtype is (and probably have scans of it back to the 80's) aren't all that accepting of the English anime industry and are more likely to hear their news through the grapevine than to go out and buy an English publication.

Oh man. That's a longish post for someone who "doesn't care about anime" Wowie. Piq actually looks MORE interesting to me. I mean, not 40bux worth of interesting, but if I saw a copy of that and NTUSA in a dentist's office I'd probably go for the former.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#10 | Back to Top03-20-2008 12:09:11 AM

Professor Plum
Touga Topper
Website

Even though I'm no longer really in anime fandom, I find this news to be very sad.  For nearly a year, I posted what constituted a "column" of sorts on rec.arts.anime.misc entitled "Random Thoughts inspired by the (insert month here) Newtype USA."  That was a really fun thing to do, and got me a lot of good attention.  Even though I haven't bought an issue in three years, I'll still miss the publication.  I thought it was really cool.

*sniff* emot-frown

Board footer