This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-18-2006 01:13:37 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Who's Your Favorite Character?

It's one of the most commonly asked questions when discussing anime. "Oh, you like Utena? Who's your favorite character?" Or at least, that's the first question that pops into my mind whenever I talk about it.

So, who's your favorite Utena character, and why? Which of these multi-dimensional characters sparks your interest the most? Whether you're obsessive, or just barely favor them over the others, everyone has a favorite character.

My favorite character was Anthy for a while, and then Juri was my favorite for a week or two before Shiori surpassed her. Why is Shiori my favorite? To be honest, I'm not sure what it is about her that I love so much. I rarely ever obsess over characters, and so the way that I obsess over her is a bit unusual for me. Not only that, but it's a fandom that just won't die. I've obsessed over entire animes for less time than I've obsessed over this one character, and my obsession with her shows no sign of receding any time soon. (Oh, God. At this rate I'm going to end up just like Juri...)

I'm sure that it's her complex personality and interesting history that gets me the most. The negative views that other people have on her got me wondering how she got to be that way. It turns out that she's actually a very interesting character. (And I don't care what anyone says. Shiori is cute, damnit.)

#2 | Back to Top10-18-2006 01:24:50 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Who's Your Favorite Character?

Touga. Sexy, arrogant, and justified in being arrogant. 'Nuff said.

Edit for being home from school: Okay, maybe it wasn't enough. I like Touga because he's exactly the kind of guy I would fall in love with. He's disciplined and more mature than he should be for his age. He's selfish and protective of himself, and he expects other people to be exactly the same. He feels things deeply, if he feels them at all, and no matter what he feels he attempts to hide it behind amusement... unless he's alone, when he feels it pointless to keep up the charade. He has no respect for anyone who hasn't proven to his satisfaction that he should respect them, and even if he does respect someone, at least a little, he'll use them to further his own aims if he possibly can. He's obviously intelligent and resourceful, terribly sexual judging from his age and experimental nature compared to that age, and won't take no for an answer.

And that is exactly what would cause me to fall jaw-droppingly, mind-numbingly, panty-soakingly in love. If I ever find a guy like that, he'd better watch out, because I don't take no for an answer either. And I'm mean. school-devil

Last edited by Yasha (10-18-2006 09:15:16 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top10-18-2006 02:16:45 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

It's so hard for me to choose because there's so many I like, which I'm sure is the same for everyone. etc-love One thing I love about the Utena cast is that they're much more realistic and less perfect and pure than most characters tend to be. Even Utena, who has done a lot of princely things for her own ego and tries to shut out things that aren't happy and perfect.

But I'd probably narrow it down to Utena and Anthy. Maybe Anthy a little more, I'm not sure. I find Utena's princelyness and lack of typical girlyness to be really attractive, even if she is an air-head. I also like how naive she is, because I get sick of how most naive characters I've seen being too perfect. I'm not sure how to explain that, but.. A lot of the typical innocent characters seem to be perfectly naive and sweet, yet they'll magically know the perfect words to say to help people, when really, if you're that naive, you would have a lack of understanding and depth. Like a blank sheet, which is what Utena's personality is like. (I've tried roleplaying Utena before the series takes place and it's just.. boring. It's more interesting after all these crazy things have happened to her.) She doesn't understand how a lot of things work, or how to look at things from other people's point of views. Examples are when she kept telling Juri she should be nice to Shiori, without trying to understand what went on, or when she tried to get Anthy to go to that ball even though Anthy hated being around a lot of people. She had good intentions, but she was looking at things completely from her point of view.

That being said, I like her *truely* naive personality and how she tries to do what's right, even if she doesn't know what's going on. Plus, prince outfits on girls are hot. etc-love

I've always liked Anthy and how creepy yet cheerful she was, but the thing that made me love her most was when I saw the episodes about her being stabbed with the thousand swords of human hatred and what she did to save Dios. I normally can't stand passive-aggressiveness, but with Anthy it amuses me, and the way I see it, she doesn't have much of a choice. (Or maybe she does but just chooses to get her revenge that way.) She's the Rose Bride, and she's been exposed to all the hatred in the world for taking away the prince. And as the Rose Bride, she is supposed to be submissive, so she acts out her revenge in subtle ways. Girls seem to want to slap her all the time, or gossip and say mean things about her. Notice how they got on to Anthy for doing something *bad* to Touga, then Saionji, then Miki? (If I remember correctly, at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) She was still getting hatred for doing something to their "princes".

I'm always amused by the way she gets revenge by doing little, unnoticeable things that *seem* innocent. Like when she said "Cheer up Saionji.. my classmate." after he lost. She knew what she said was going to hurt him. I like how she's a manipulater but a victim at the same time. (While I like the movie, she was more of a victim in that, and I've heard it's the same with the manga.) But despite that, I love how her true self was freed from the coffin and was much less passive and more assertive (how she spoke to Akio before she left) and much more kind. It's very interesting how Utena freed that part of Anthy, which was the power of Dios. I think of both Utena and Anthy as princes in different ways.

..Okay, sorry, I made that too long. Anyway, Utena and Anthy are my favourites, but I also like a bunch of other characters like Ruka, Juri, and Mikage. etc-love But I hold a lot of interest in nearly all of them.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-18-2006 02:23:40 PM)

#4 | Back to Top10-18-2006 02:29:59 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I got into the show because I was fascinated by Mikage -- I actually started watching from ep 14, and to this day I am not entirely sure that if I had started from the beginning, that I would have watched the whole thing through. With that said, though, the character of Anthy (particularly in the earliest and latest episodes) really fascinates me, so maybe I would have kept watching for her.

Still, I was totallyh screwed over by the symbolism around Mikage and his seminar, and the way he seamlessly manipulated these people to his own ends for a desire that turned out to be a tangled mixture of memory and desire. The catastrophic mental collapse he must have suffered at the end of his duel is still one of my favourite moments of the series, and I could analyse him and Nemuro for hours on end (and have done so). Unfortunately at the time I watched it I happened to be studying T.S. Eliot, so the resultant essay is as convoluted as the damn series itself. ^___^

I also adore Nanami, which is hilarious because I thought little of her in the beginning (although I was vastly amused by her transmutation into a cow, of all things). The cliches of her character and the way she was used as a humourous and occasionally tragic vehicle for some of thew major themes of the series is why I really enjoy Nanami -- although my favourite aspect of her character is how she, like Saionji, is one of the few to see the truth before it happens...although she tries to personally warn Utena. Naturally it's in an absolutely obnoxious fashion, but that's why we love Nanami. Also, my favourite non-pivotal episode is Nanami's Egg -- I had to write an essay about THAT, too, before it sat easy in my mind, but hell? Saionji in an apron COOKING EGGS? What's NOT to love?

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top10-18-2006 03:36:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

It's so hard for me to choose because there's so many I like, which I'm sure is the same for everyone. etc-love

I know it's true for me.

Okay maybe not. emot-redface

It's always been Akio, hands down, for me. I could be like Yasha and just go with the claim speaking for itself, but...naaaaaaah. I have some time to kill. Besides, why would I give up this chance to show how thoroughly shallow I am and say my liking Akio is entirely on account of his sex appeal? etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

BUT  IT'S NOT, AND I WON'T. emot-mad Most of us like the characters we like because we relate to them. A lot of us have been where Juri's been, completely discontent with life. A lot of us relate to Utena, who tries so hard against a world she can't quite accept works the way it does yet. Not a lot of people relate to Akio. Or not a lot of people would admit it. But what does he do? Akio hides. He's given the power and opportunity to live out the ages of time in a coffin of his own making, pretending he's god, lording over people who bend and sway to his touch. He refuses to grow up and face the music outside or take responsibility for his own actions. He lives in his world, and that's perfectly fine by him. Forget that real world crap, it's much more fun here. He's pathetic for this reason. In the end, he looks like a complete jackass because Utena and Anthy had the will to do something he refused to. But you know what? I don't think I'd have chosen any differently.

Less dark and depressing is that aside from this (fatal) flaw of his, I rather admire the fellow. He's intelligent, scheming, egotistical (lol comparison to Satan), a marvelous clothes horse, and my god the sexy. MY GOD. (I said I wouldn't do this but I lied.) HE'S WALKING SEX. No one looks at that man and thinks 'Oh what a great school administrator he must be.' or 'I bet he's very well educated'. No, you look at him and realize you're going to have a hard time walking in the morning. There's absolutely no inhibition in him. Not only is there no inhibition, he flaunts his sexuality. This, I gotta admit, I admire. If everyone were that comfortable with their sexuality it'd solve a whole lot of problems.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a huge fan of Saionji. I etc-love Saionji. Why? Same reason. I relate to him, too. (I sound like a split personality.) He's so rude and he's such a hardass, but he feels like he has no choice but to be a jerk to keep safe in this world, while the little boy that was scared to see the inside of the coffin hides in the back of his mind, feeling the constant sting of the whip Saionji punishes himself with. He lives in a vicious cycle where he does horrible things, decides he's horrible for it, and because he's horrible he acts out horrible things; that's what horrible people do. He grew up in the shadow of one close to him, and his ego was held under water his entire childhood. His inferiority complex is so developed by the series that I wager half of his attraction to Anthy was the deep down knowledge that she would never give him the love he desired, only the coldness and cruelty he deserved.

And he's so observant. He understands more about people than anyone else in the series, except maybe Akio (who has had time to learn). But unlike Akio, who is only really interested in the dark corners and cracks in a person's mind, Saionji does see people for what they are, why they are, and how they could be. His own mind rails against that, he fights it because it's hard to know things and be unable to use the knowledge, but in the end, I think Saionji stuck with Touga not only because Touga made his life so hard, but because he knew that somewhere there was a part, even a little part, of Touga that wasn't all that bad.

Akio I can't help but admire and be a bit jealous of, even with his flaws. Saionji...well I want to give him a hug. emot-frown So did Wakaba, but he's so stubborn in his self-hatred that he wouldn't ever have let it happen.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top10-18-2006 05:45:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I just can't help but pick Tatsuya (aka the Onion Prince).  Don't get me wrong; I love them all, with only a few exceptions (Nanami, Chu Chu, maybe a couple others).  But Tatsuya really speaks to me.  If it weren't him it'd be Utena -- both flawed characters who are somehow able to accept their flaws and still maintain self-esteem.  I admire that, and it's something I strive for.

So why Tatsuya over Utena?  Utena, oddly for a character who ends up changing the world, has a basically reactive personality.  She responds to events, often with great drive, but doesn't take a lot of initiative without that immediate impetus.  She felt sorry for Anthy early in episode 1, but she did nothing; what drove her to duel was Saionji's wronging Wakaba.  She totally wanted Akio in season three, but she did nothing; Akio made the first move, and she decided to go along with it.  She never goes out of her way to resolve interpersonal dilemmas, which is part of why they end up in the arena (always over Utena's objections, of course).  She has self-esteem, but it's passive self-esteem.

Tatsuya is a more proactive character.  His life is pretty uneventful, yet he has desires and he chases them.  There is no event that prompts him to go court Wakaba; he does it because he likes her, and to him that's enough reason to get off his ass and take action.  I wouldn't go so far as to say he's "ambitious" -- that word is a little strong for a character who is actually pretty shy at times -- but he does aspire to something greater, and acts on that aspiration.  (Utena aspires to be a prince, but she doesn't do things because "that's what a prince would do;" she does them because they come naturally, which is wonderful and one reason I love her, but it's not proactive.)  I really respect Tatsuya's ability to go after what he wants without prompting; it's something I'd like to see in myself more than I do.

And of course, Tatsuya is closer to an adult than possibly anyone else in the show.  That's why he only gets one episode: Utena is in part a show about growing up, and Tatsuya doesn't have a lot of it left to do.  I wrote an essay about this at http://www.ohtori.nu/analysis/07_satyre … swords.htm.  He has flaws and strong emotions, as do all adults; what distinguishes him is how he deals with them.  Specifically, he deals with them himself instead of taking them out on others.  (Remember, he's the only one to visit Mikage and not end up pulling a sword out of someone.)  He does better than most when it comes to viewing others as human beings, not as underlings, gods, or warm bodies that walk and talk; how many other characters express horror when they realize they've hurt someone?  Again, this is something I strive for.

So yeah.  I wanna be like Tatsuya. emot-frown

#7 | Back to Top10-18-2006 05:50:16 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

I would have to say that I like Juri, Miki, Utena, Anthy, and Ruka in that order.

#8 | Back to Top10-18-2006 07:14:13 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its so very hard to choose one character that I like more than any other, it would be easier just for me to explain what aspect(s) of that character that I like.

Nanami – The funny thing is, I usually just love to hate characters like her and look forward to when she gets what coming to her. But somehow instead, I find myself liking her heaps even if she is a superficial kitten-killing, emot-mad toffy-nosed hyena with a perverted love for her brother, but when she has her hair down from her usual hairstyle, damn she looks fine. What can I say? Love is not only blind, it lacks common sense.

Juri – In many ways, Juri could have the potential to be like Akio power-wise if she could increase her ambitions and refine her sexiness to become a useful tool for power that Akio has successfully wielded for some time now.  Her rep to a large extent is based on the fear that she can make your life miserable if she wanted to.  Her tall elegant beauty with her long orange curls is another reason I like her heaps. The fact that she’s one hell of a swordsman doesn’t hurt either.

Anthy – Some people hate her for her passive-aggressive nature, but as a fellow passive-aggressive, I can understand that it’s sometimes better to cause irritation instead of pain. It is possible to ignore pain, but irritation can stick in your mind, gnawing away at you endlessly.  I see her as an incomplete person that doesn’t realise until Utena tried to pull her out of her coffin that she needs to be complete in herself. I would also love to get my hands on her body swapping curry recipe. emot-keke

Utena – I like her for many reasons but there is one thing besides her good luck that I envy.  I envy the fact that she was able to become a prince without turning into a boy like I ended up doing.

Maybe I will discuss what aspects of the boys in the series I like next time.

#9 | Back to Top10-18-2006 07:39:37 PM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

Anthy is my absolute favorite anime character of all time. I pretend to be her. She is so cool, manipulative, bitchy, sexy, and any other word in the Oxford dictionary. She is the shizzle.

#10 | Back to Top10-18-2006 08:12:46 PM

Sephigirl
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Touga - always, always Touga, for all that he is inside and the sacrifices he makes and for surviving!
Mikage - and always Mikage, for all that he tried
Akio - for who he is, what he was, and what he could be (ick - that sounded too much like - oh what's that Tom Cruise movie?)
Ruka - for loving someone as prickly as Juri and going about things all wrong

Utena - the wonderful ditz - such a readily identifiable character
Wakaba - because we all need, have, or have been that kind of true friend who stayed loyal thru their pain

Touga's kitties - Solid proof of Touga's goodness - if a cat loves you, you can't be evil

Only the broody ones need apply.

#11 | Back to Top10-18-2006 08:27:27 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Good question...   depends on the criteria. emot-wink

Chuchu fulfills my mascot obsession, but that doesn't make him my favorite.  He is good for comic relief, especially when Saionji is involved.  So the winner is...

Wakaba!!!  Followed by Nanami and Utena.

Wakaba is the Tomoyo to Utena's Sakura, if you'll forgive the CLAMP simile.

At first I didn't really like Nanami, but now I think she's just misunderstood.  And then there's the Egg and Cowbell episodes. emot-biggrin  It may also be Juri Shiatori's voice.  To this day I identify it with Nanami.  Imagine my surprise when I first heard Primera in Magic Knight Rayearth.  "How did Nanami get so small?!"  (There I go with CLAMP again... emot-wink)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#12 | Back to Top10-18-2006 08:51:50 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

>.> i like all the female duelist...cause i dig chicks with swords emot-keke; enough said...

o.O hmm but anshi...umm i like her long hair? o.O

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#13 | Back to Top10-18-2006 09:33:49 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Jumping on the bandwagon and saying that I can't decide on just one. Yes, Akio has a special place in my heart (or libido), as do Nanami (she's the girl you love to hate), Mikage (quiet, dark sex appeal) , and Ruka. Ruka especially. He may end up being my favorite, for reasons I can't put into words. I'm not even sure why I liked him so much. Perhaps it was because he took everything I liked about Touga, and added a few more things in. I never saw Ruka as having a secret agenda. He was just himself, and if other people mistook his intentions, it was their own damn fault (see: Shiori). But at the same time, he was brutally manipulative and uncaring, and he could make you blame yourself, and not him, if you got into his schemes and came out the worse for it. And I was never the biggest fan of Touga; but after the episodes with Ruka, it was like he put Touga's character into an entirely different perspective. The only time I liked Touga was during his final duel where Saionji is his "bride." (Or was it the other way around? You know what I'm talking about, anyway.) Because, for the first time in the series, he really seems undeniably emotional. He wears his resignment on his sleeve; he knows what will end up happening and has faced acceptance. It seemed to me that Ruka was representative of the part of Touga that was in the process of accepting; perhaps the part of Touga's character that was absent during the Black Rose arc. You saw how disappointed he was that Juri was not rising to her "potential" (the potential he wanted for her) and then you saw Juri's disappointment at what Ruka had become. The relationship between Ruka and Juri seems to mirror the hope and the following disappointment that is present in Touga and Utena's relationship.

Eh, just my two cents. Yeah, I'm rambling now. Ignore me. emot-keke;;

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#14 | Back to Top10-18-2006 11:38:27 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

I say a toss up between Anshi and Ruka, followed by Utena and Nanami.

Anshi- I must admit her passive-agressive bitchiness gives her a special place in my heart. She knows everything about everyone and knows how to pull their strings just right. (An excellent example is when she baits Juri in Epsiode seven I think with offering her an orange rose like Shiori did.) However even someone like her can overcome her pettiness and malice to truly love someone as naive and innocent as Utena and ultimately be mature enough to rise above childish games to finally grow up. Plus the movie-version of her is just the kind of girl I'd want, cute, and ready to take her clothes off at the drop of a hat.

Ruka- Ah, the bastard extradionaire. Plus he's got a lot of mystery around him that can be expoluted on. He's also the one duelist who besides Utena ever dueled for someone else besides himself. I also love the mutant forelock. etc-love

Utena-Some people complain she's the most superfacial character, but I disagree. Utena is definitely interesting in that unlike most "heroines" instead of trying to become the perfect mate of the Prince, she becomes the Prince herself. I think the fact that her nature appears simple is misleading, she's comes off as complex to me. She is driven by one goal in life because it seems to me she thinks the only alternative for her would be to return to the coffin and die. Despite the cheery demeanor its likely that Utena knows better than perhaps any of the cast what the cold brush of death feels like, and how final it is. Plus for being such a dedicated little pure heroine through-out the series, she is aware Akio is engaged even as she sleeps with him and thus can never have him. Nor does she ever try to hold onto him, she doesn't seek for him to tell her he loves her after they have sex, and even admits that she never intended to sleep with him, she never assumes just because he's had sex with her, he loves her. Which for a fourteen year old virgin is a rather mature observation.

Plus she occasionally has some good zingers. school-devil

Nanami-I guess I just like bitchy characters, but mostly I like Nanami's duality. She's a coninving little snot but at the same time she's a scared, immature adolescent. She's in a vulnerable position who doesn't really know what she wants other than she feels a need to escape. Plus it was fun to see her and Anshi match wits, even though Anshi mostly won. emot-dance

#15 | Back to Top10-18-2006 11:53:06 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Ruka's my favourite. I can't really justify it though.  emot-confused
Maybe cause we had really similar hair for a time. I'm not sure. Or maybe cause I want the people I love to be happy but have really bad ways of going about doing so.

Giovanna wrote:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm a huge fan of Saionji. I etc-love Saionji. Why? Same reason. I relate to him, too. (I sound like a split personality.) He's so rude and he's such a hardass, but he feels like he has no choice but to be a jerk to keep safe in this world, while the little boy that was scared to see the inside of the coffin hides in the back of his mind, feeling the constant sting of the whip Saionji punishes himself with. He lives in a vicious cycle where he does horrible things, decides he's horrible for it, and because he's horrible he acts out horrible things; that's what horrible people do. He grew up in the shadow of one close to him, and his ego was held under water his entire childhood. His inferiority complex is so developed by the series that I wager half of his attraction to Anthy was the deep down knowledge that she would never give him the love he desired, only the coldness and cruelty he deserved.

...And that's my reasoning for Saionji as well. You said it ALOT better than I could have.

#16 | Back to Top10-19-2006 06:34:14 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

One new thing about Anthy that just came to my mind as I rewatched a few Utena episodes on my laptop, every time she named one of her pets Nanami, the real Nanami ended up getting affected by it.

Anthy named her cow Nanami and soon after she started to change into a cow.

Anthy named a chicken Nanami and the real Nanami laid an egg.

I just hope that Anthy never decides to name a whale after her when she is anywhere near any Japanese 'Research' Ships. school-chef

#17 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:10:36 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Tamago wrote:

One new thing about Anthy that just came to my mind as I rewatched a few Utena episodes on my laptop, every time she named one of her pets Nanami, the real Nanami ended up getting affected by it.

I just hope that Anthy never decides to name a whale after her when she is anywhere near any Japanese 'Research' Ships. school-chef

I find Anthy's and Nanami's relationship very strange. o.O This is probably the weirdest relationship in SKU.

Generally, I like the whole Utena cast, all the characters are interesting in some way. Anyway, my all-time favourite anime character would also be Himemiya Anthy. etc-love The runners-up will be Utena and Akio, but Himemiya still ranks higher than them.
When I first saw Anthy, I didn't think much of her, but later on when she started to show her true colours, I found her much more interesting. I think it's her way of behaviour and thinking that fascinated me. What's also very interesting is her nature. You can consider her a cold-hearted bitch or someone caring and nice who sacrifices themselves for the ones they love. It's a matter of interpretation. She has so many different sides to her and that's what I like. etc-love
*edit* I forgot something. Her red dress. And that long curly purple hair, wheee! ^.^

(Would anyone be interested in making a very in-depth shrine of her? Something like the Akio's shrine, 'cause I haven't come across any other character shrine which is THAT good. And there should be one for Himemiya, too!)

Last edited by Maarika (10-19-2006 07:56:48 AM)

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#18 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:12:28 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I like Utena most, followed by Juri.

Utena - I'd like myself to be as outgoing as she does, to be strong and interdependent, to be as attractive as she does. Perhaps one day I would post it on my own website to tell you why I love Utena so much.

Juri - I am a bit like her, tend to keep secrets, and I love her curly hair emot-dance

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#19 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:41:52 PM

Zelda
New Student
Website

Anthy is my favorite. She's so interesting I can't help but like her. Since I'm too tired to come up with anything good I'll just say this - I love her disturbed sense of humor.

"I call the cow Nanami."

Oh, she wins.

#20 | Back to Top10-19-2006 09:37:11 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Tamago wrote:

Sounds like sympathetic magic. emot-biggrin But yeah, I've noticed that too. Also that Nanami seems to get in a lot of trouble from animals. The horse, the kangaroo, the animals in Anthy and Utena's room freaking her out when she tried to pull her tricks.. And Anthy -loves- animals and has them everywhere. Hmm. ;3

#21 | Back to Top10-19-2006 11:33:48 PM

Nariel
Miki Molester

You're asking me to pick a favourite? Oh that is hard. Well, Juri rocks my socks because she's the ultimate swordsmaster of the universe, I mean the only duelist to be able to repel Dios's attack has got to be worth something. She is also really cool. Seriously, she makes teachers nervous. Next it would probably be...Utena and Anthy because their whole relationship is beautiful and they have so many subtle characteristics it's wonderful. Nanami, Chu Chu and the frog come next because OMG they make me laugh like crazy. Mikage annoys me. Yep, I don't really find him that interesting.

All the SKU clothes are so awesome they transcend all barriers of space, time and light.

The ruler of the universe has spoken.

#22 | Back to Top10-19-2006 11:56:20 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

My favorite character is Nemuro, whom is never given proper credit. But I'll abstain., he was such a "cold" man, (I'm personally under the impression he didn't actually exist until Akio had brought him into being the line that supports this is "It feels like the first time I've seen someone shed tears.") aside from that though, he's truly a pure genuis, someone (is it Clarice?) that made "Crypt of the Black Roses" put it much better then I could. I suppose it's because I see an ideal self in Nemuro as well.

My second is Nanami, her character is so very in dpeth that at the end of the series, you can't stand to hate her, and find yourself liking her. Everyone has given the reason's why to like Nanami so I'll go on.

Dios/Akio ring in at a distant third. I'm still quite under the impression that Dios lnever had completely died inside Akio, only that he suppressed the Prince, as his dark emotion's came to fruition, (of course this was after Anthy had locked him away.) Started to rule his world of Ohtori and.. where am I going with this? Ah well whatever the case, they each rank 3rd.

#23 | Back to Top10-20-2006 12:33:05 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Anthy. Her personality is so complex I will probably never understand it, and I just adore that. I love how she acts so submissive and helpless while pulling everyone's strings. I love how dense she acts. I love her relationship with Utena. I love her general awesomeness, and also, she has the prettiest hair in anime history.

#24 | Back to Top10-20-2006 12:38:45 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Xu Yuan wrote:

My favorite character is Nemuro, whom is never given proper credit. But I'll abstain., he was such a "cold" man, (I'm personally under the impression he didn't actually exist until Akio had brought him into being the line that supports this is "It feels like the first time I've seen someone shed tears.") aside from that though, he's truly a pure genuis, someone (is it Clarice?) that made "Crypt of the Black Roses" put it much better then I could. I suppose it's because I see an ideal self in Nemuro as well.

My second is Nanami, her character is so very in dpeth that at the end of the series, you can't stand to hate her, and find yourself liking her. Everyone has given the reason's why to like Nanami so I'll go on.

Dios/Akio ring in at a distant third. I'm still quite under the impression that Dios lnever had completely died inside Akio, only that he suppressed the Prince, as his dark emotion's came to fruition, (of course this was after Anthy had locked him away.) Started to rule his world of Ohtori and.. where am I going with this? Ah well whatever the case, they each rank 3rd.

Yay! Someone else who loves Nemuro! [beams] Mikage is the reason I fell in love with the character; Nemuro is the reason I stayed. Utena is the only anime I still get the urges to fic for, and it's all that clockwork professor's fault. Dammit. Although I will say I personally believe he was a real man and that Mikage was the warped version of his genius and desires; I could try and explain what I think, but that would involve me being here for the next ten years and it's all in this essay anyway: http://www.bunnybeth.net/beyondpink/celeste.html

And no, unfortunately I can claim no responsibility for the Crypt website. I code like an arthritic donkey under the influence of really, really bad crack...i.e. ninety-percent-wood-shavings crack. emot-gonk

Last edited by Clarice (10-20-2006 12:39:54 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#25 | Back to Top10-20-2006 12:47:16 PM

Melusina
Wakaba Wrangler

Anthy is my hands-down favorite! She took me a little while to warm up to (and SKU was one of the first animes I ever watched through, so I was a little confused by everything) but I really emphasized with her plight and cheered her on when she managed to step away from Ohtori. I love her subtle malice-- although I wouldn't want it directed at me! And I love the depths of her character. She's incredibly flawed, but she has so much potential. And I love the fairy-tale aspects of SKU, and Anthy as the princess/witch just gives me so much to play with.

Juri is a close second, though. So elegant and graceful, but there's so much feeling there, too.

Board footer