This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-25-2006 05:50:59 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Re: Current Anime

I love St. Juste for being a nutcase but I love Kaoru-no-Kimi moreso.  And, well, my favorite character in the series is Fukiko's brother... Mariko doesn't know when there's a good thing standing next to her. emot-tongue  Have either of you seen the manga?  I love seeing the characters smiling while wearing sparkly leisure suits.

And Rose of Versailles is pretty historically correct... aside from the existance of Oscar and Jeanne's background.  emot-keke

#52 | Back to Top12-25-2006 05:55:10 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I've read the chapters Lililicious has translated, but I'd love to read more. D: Unfortunately my japanese isn't the best. Rose of Versailles is honestly my least favourite of what I've read of hers, but I've been promising myself to get back into it.

It isn't my favourite period in history, which may be the problem.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#53 | Back to Top12-25-2006 08:52:53 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

The manga for Rose of Versailles never appealled to me, but I love the anime. emot-smile

#54 | Back to Top12-26-2006 01:58:46 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Oo, I just started watching the Maria-sama OVA - seems good so far (MariMite was always good, so this isn't shocking). I'm not entirely sure if I like the animation as much as previously, though, since its a little bit different now. I was quite suprised to see it had a new ending song, though.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#55 | Back to Top12-26-2006 09:40:26 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Just finished Maria-sama OVA 1 after taking way too long and stopping halfway through for various things. I haven't had a reason to make an episode commentary on things in a while but it's fun so I'm doing it for this.

50% Less Subtlety! Seriously. I think the teevee show fluffed it up a bit for the sake of not being what girl-school dramas were before. This it not a bad thing. Everything is really natural now, like it is in all the MariMite oriented media. This is probably the most realistic portrayal of young girls I've seen in anime in a while, from the clothing to the experessions to the way they treat eachother. Sure, it's idealised, but anime's supposed to be fantasy. Also, what the hell is going on with Rei's face? I know she's supposed to be mistaken for a tomboy all the time but why the hell does she have steroid-neck?

Also, M-M-MASSIVE DAMAGE! ! !

I'm going to watch Black Lagoon now and reclaim some of my manliness.

#56 | Back to Top12-27-2006 01:42:56 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Scortia wrote:

The manga for Rose of Versailles never appealled to me, but I love the anime. emot-smile

OH OH. I want to see that! emot-dance

#57 | Back to Top12-29-2006 09:12:55 AM

A Day Without Me

Oo, oo! I'm watching a boxset I just got! Wedding Peach, haha - not quite the complex level attained by Utena, eh? But I'm enjoying it and its sillyness nevertheless.

#58 | Back to Top12-30-2006 03:33:31 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm watching "Death Note". Before that I watched "Wolf's Rain" with my friend, I had heard it was very good. While it was indeed better than average shows, I was still a bit disappointed. In fact, after watching SKU, it's so hard to find anything that would stand against it. emot-frown
So now I found I can enjoy anime that' are the best in their own genres. DN is very interesting. It's the sort of show where you constantly wonder what's going to happen next. Ohhh, the tension!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#59 | Back to Top12-30-2006 10:45:26 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Alexa wrote:

Right now I'm watching Ghost Hunt and Code Geass.  I'd like to get into D.Gray-man because I love the art, but I don't know... I don't remember being that interested in the first episode of the anime or the manga.

Oh, Code Geass...
I was supposed to start watching that one too when I had time.
Thanks for reminding me!

#60 | Back to Top12-31-2006 06:35:35 PM

silver moon
Wakaba Wrangler

The only anime I'm currently keeping up with is Nana.  I love that series.

#61 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:04:12 PM

A Day Without Me

Hmm, just finished watching Angel's Feather - wicked confusing and way too short emot-frown

As for Code Geass, I must admit to being scared off by the blatant anti-Americanism in the first episode - does it get any more obvious than this shot http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/C … e%2002.jpg?

#62 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:25:16 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

My memory of the plot is a bit fuzzy, but the name of the empire as well as my vague memories of the first episode lead me to believe that Britain conqured the area and then used North America as a launch pad to attack Japan.

I mean, from that image you could just as easily get the idea that Canada conqured the US and then chose to attack Japan. Canada still has superficial ties to the crown as well, so that would make even more sense. They're certainly more connected to it than we are.

#63 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:30:15 PM

A Day Without Me

Mm, no, as I recall it it was America, but for some reason it had taken the name Britannia. I dunno, maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions because nationalism makes me nervous, and nationalism in anime would especially do so given the recent uptick in nationalistic feelings in Japan.

#64 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:42:35 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I just checked Wikipedia and apparently this is alt-history etc-love where Britain remained in control of the Americas and expanded into a massive world power, so in a way we're both right if Wikipedia is to be trusted.

And a lot of animes have transient nationalistic moments, ESPECIALLY war anime, but that doesn't mean they aren't amazing by their own efforts. Look at Read Or Die.

#65 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:45:56 PM

A Day Without Me

Maybe its specifically Japanese nationalism - nationalism for pretend countries or countries that haven't had such... contentious recent past histories with nationalism probbaly wouldn't bother me as much. So Code Geass' blatant Japanese nationalism sits a bit uncomfortably with me. In my defense, though, blind American patriotism makes me uncomfortable, too.

#66 | Back to Top12-31-2006 08:53:58 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yeah, I can understand how you feel there. Groupism in general seems to be something people are particularly willing to die/kill for.

It's easier to ignore when you attibute it to ratings. "YAY US BOO THEM" always gets people excited. Anyone who'd go and try to pipe bomb an embassy over a teevee show in this day and age probably needed to be eliminated from the gene pool anyway. That's a surprising leap of faith in humanity coming from me. Gee. o.o

#67 | Back to Top01-01-2007 01:16:57 PM

Syuria
Touga Topper
Website

I've been sorely tempted to try watching Lelouch, but only really because Lelouch's voice actor, Fukuyama Jun, is particular favourite of mine. But that's a rather shallow reason, no? emot-redface Strong nationalist themes make me feel uncomfortable too, which is pretty much why I'm avoiding that show.

Hmm... I'm not really following much at the moment, not since Suzumiya Haruhi and Ouran Host Club finished... The only show I'm watching at the moment is the Kanon remake, because I will etc-wankgirl myself to death over anything Kyoto Animation make  and because I absolutely adore AIR, I wanted to see another adaptation of a Key game.

That, and I'm still following Saiunkoku Monogatari occasionally. Gotta love Shuurei, after all. emot-biggrin

#68 | Back to Top01-01-2007 02:15:08 PM

A Day Without Me

It seems like the new anime starting this January and February are rather unimpressive, sadly emot-frown I have yet to find anything I can see myself watching from the 2007 Winter Season.

I'm sad, it seems like all the shows I liked from this past season are ones that the subbing groups don't care about as much as the heavy-weights like Deathnote and Code Geass - I have been watching Hataraki Man, Ghost Hunt, Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, and Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi, but the fansubbing groups working on them seem to be more concerned with the really popular series. I think its too bad that good series that are less popular don't get as much attention from the subbers - I mean, do we really need five groups subbing one show?

Hope no one thinks I'm trying to diss fansubbers - I know they're doing a tough job and not getting nearly enough credit in most cases.

#69 | Back to Top01-01-2007 05:00:49 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Does watching an inordinate amount of Family Guy count for anything? emot-dance

#70 | Back to Top01-01-2007 07:52:23 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

Does watching an inordinate amount of Family Guy count for anything? emot-dance

Family Guy could count as American Anime so I guess thats right.

I am aware that in Japan, all animated cartoons are classified as anime as opposed to Western countries where only Japanese(Asian) cartoons are classified as anime.

Edit: Grammar Fix.

Last edited by Tamago (01-01-2007 08:20:29 PM)

#71 | Back to Top01-01-2007 07:53:14 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

HEY ALRIGHT LET'S LIGHT THIS 2007 CANDLE.

I try to watch all the first episodes (incase there's a gem in there), but I usually get caught up with work and school so I make a list ahead of time of things I'll probably watch to the third episode. I give you all my 2007 picks.

Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora - Connections to KnM means yes.
Les Misérables Shoujo Cosette - I liked what it's based on, which is good enough reason as any.
Venus Versus Virus - You had me at the alliteration.
Rocket Girls - I don't expect this to last, but I'm interested in what they're doing with it.

#72 | Back to Top01-01-2007 08:09:53 PM

A Day Without Me

Alright, so I was looking through the new series coming up this season, and I guess I'll at least check these ones out, although I'm really not getting my hopes up:

Getsumen To Heiki Mina - Main reason I'm checking this out? Marina Inoue is doing the ending song - yeah, I know, really lame reason for checking out an anime, but, hey, she did amazing work in Petite Cossette.
Hidamari Sketch - Very, very slim chance I may check this out - I've been lacking some straight-up humor in my anime viewing as of late.
Yes! Futari wa Pretty Cure 5! - I guess this is more out of a morbid curiousity to see how much they have furthered the screw up of the Pretty Cure franchise (it really was a decent mahou shoujo property back in its original incarnation); also, I'm betting Mayumi Gojyo is involved with the opening, closing, and insert songs once again, and I can't help but love her ultra-peppy songs - they're downright infectious!
Moonlight Mile - Actually, I'm definitely gonna watch this one, but it's coming in March so I don't really consider it a Winter 2007 title.

#73 | Back to Top01-01-2007 08:41:34 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Yeah, winter is never that impressive. Last year we had some real crap (Alice ;.;) in the same time slots. I'm pretty looking forward to KtTnS since I'm such a huge Kannazuki no Miko fan, and this is supposed to be kind of a Tenchi-ing of it, but that's really it.

Oh well. After winter comes the spring and the April lineup is always insane.

#74 | Back to Top01-01-2007 09:07:35 PM

A Day Without Me

Yeah, I kind of thought this one was more unimpressive of some of the past ones, though - I mean, at least last winter had Shinigami no Ballad and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, which were both two sweet little animes that I must admit to really adoring (even though Shinigami no Ballad did toe the moe line a bit with Momo, and the nurse in HanTsuki was a bit annoying).

I'm really disappointed about Saint October - when I initially heard about it, when all anyone knew was the title, I was kind of interested 'cause the title sounded cool. Alas, it has revealed itself to be just another in the long line of loli-fests emot-frown

Last edited by A Day Without Me (01-01-2007 09:15:25 PM)

#75 | Back to Top01-02-2007 02:13:03 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

The links below are of a series called Yamato Nadeshiko Schichi Henge (The Light that Shines through the Darkness)

Plot Summary: 4 handsome guys get to live in a gorgeous, large mansion for free. There’s only one catch: Turn the land lady’s niece into a “lady”. Soon the boys find out this is no easy task, Sunako, the girl in question, is a gothic, horror movie freak who looks like Sadako from The Ring. The boys now must start the grueling task of turning the gore-loving girl into a “lady”.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge Episode 1A

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge Episode 1B

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge Episode 1C

You just gotta love how Sunako prepares dinner, it makes the Texas Chainsaw Massacre look tame. *evil hehehehe*
school-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devilschool-devil

Last edited by Tamago (01-02-2007 02:28:27 AM)

Board footer