This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-27-2016 01:56:45 PM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Episode 22? (Spoilers)

Every time I watch this episode, I wonder whether Akio was some "godlike" being who has always been in this world. This leads me to contemplate whether he guised as a young boy sometime later to use Anthy. Or could Akio have manipulated Mikage's memories and put himself in another man's place (perhaps the one who was having an affair with Tokiko was another chairman).

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

#2 | Back to Top06-27-2016 02:20:46 PM

pesimistamente
Anthy Assailer

Re: Episode 22? (Spoilers)

ShiningSanctum1 wrote:

Or could Akio have manipulated Mikage's memories and put himself in another man's place (perhaps the one who was having an affair with Tokiko was another chairman).

Actually I think both Anthy and Akio aren't related to any of the character's backgrounds. They simply insert themselves in their memories.

I think Utena's background is the same than in the movie, except in the TVShow they insert themselves in her memory. That's why she doesn't remember Saionji and Touga, while Saionji does remember her. It's the same to what happened to Mikage/Nemuro, or Anthy being Miki step-mother.

#3 | Back to Top06-28-2016 04:44:24 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

ShiningSanctum1 wrote:

Every time I watch this episode, I wonder whether Akio was some "godlike" being who has always been in this world. This leads me to contemplate whether he guised as a young boy sometime later to use Anthy. Or could Akio have manipulated Mikage's memories and put himself in another man's place (perhaps the one who was having an affair with Tokiko was another chairman).

If Akio put himself in the place of another man, in Mikage's memory, then that would also mean the Akio manipulated Tokiko's memory, which I don' think he did. Tokiko comes to Ohtori Academy and visits Akio and comments how he hasn't aged in decades. I feel as it would have been no benefit to Akio to manipulate Tokiko's memory and tricking her into thinking that they had a relationship. I believe that they actually had a relationship.

Last edited by maridaberri (06-28-2016 04:46:20 PM)

#4 | Back to Top06-28-2016 04:58:08 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I agree that Tokiko and Akio were indeed involved, although calling it an actual relationship may be something of a stretch.

Unlike the Miki's stepmother, Tokiko was at Ohtori at the time so it is not at all implausible that they would cross paths.

It is interesting to note how the scene with Akio and Tokiko mirrors the first time Utena saw Akio and Kanae:

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Black_Rose_Saga/14/Series_ep14_021.jpg?m=1380853277

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Black_Rose_Saga/22/Series_ep22_160.jpg?m=1380853771

#5 | Back to Top06-28-2016 05:04:48 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Nocturnalux wrote:

I agree that Tokiko and Akio were indeed involved, although calling it an actual relationship may be something of a stretch.

Unlike the Miki's stepmother, Tokiko was at Ohtori at the time so it is not at all implausible that they would cross paths.

I agree that they weren't in a relationship (sorry for the lack of better phrasing) but rather a "relationship" or some type of romantic or sexual involvement

I always assumed in the scene where they showed Miki and Kozue's father with the soon to be stepmother that Anthy wasn't actually there and isn't the actual stepmother. I imagine that Miki never met the woman and so he's imagining his version of the ideal woman.

I never noticed the parallel between Kanae and Tokiko. I guess that's one of Akio's "I'm going to seduce you to get what I want" poses. emot-rofl

Last edited by maridaberri (06-28-2016 05:07:10 PM)

Board footer