This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-03-2007 01:45:51 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Are your anime/manga choices determined by polls,lists critics, etc.

Are your anime/manga choices determined by polls lists, surveys, critics. etc?

#2 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:25:30 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Are your anime/manga choices determined by polls,lists critics, etc.

By recommendations. I don't have much time for watching anime so if I get some recommendations I'll try to check them out.
And other times I just watch something that seems interesting.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:51:22 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Its a mixture of reviews on the storyline as well as sampling episodes I find on Youtube.

#4 | Back to Top02-03-2007 03:51:54 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Nope.  I only watch and buy what I think I will be interested in.  I research as much as possible without spoiling, and listen to recommendations from people who have similar tastes to mine. Since I go about it this way, I have a very high hit rate on 'blind buys', because they are never truly blind.

Also, whether or not I like a title has nothing to do with if it's popular.  I won't go out of my way to see a hugely popular title just because it's popular or what all the 'cool kids' are watching.  If it looks interesting to me that's one thing, but I have no trouble sleeping at night if I am not on board the 'Next Big Thing' bandwagon.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#5 | Back to Top02-03-2007 04:57:39 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

The dirty anime section at blockbuster, random posters and images squalled from the internet, and my own artistic tastes.
Plastic little, love the art, FLCL, love the art, Utena, LOOOOVE the art!
Oh yeah, and random hentai's.
It's good to be an adult sometimes.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#6 | Back to Top02-03-2007 06:30:51 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I rent most of the new anime I watch through Zip.ca (Canada's equivalent of Netflix). They'll order anything they don't have for me, so anything that catches my eye I can get through them. Otherwise, I catch a few things on TV (Full Metal Alchemist and Bleach, mostly), a few through friend's recommendations (Overman King Gainer, Rune Soldier Louie), and a few through gut instinct (Elfen Lied).

I'll try almost anything if it's put in front of me, but I usually dislike harem comedies, maid shows (and hate that that's legitimately it's own genre), mecha shows, and anything I find denigrating to women, especially the current crop of "softcore anime" like Ikkitousen and Grenadier.

I'll usually give something a try if it's popular, if only to see what all the fuss is about.  Sometimes I like it (Bleach!), sometimes I hate it (Eureka 7), sometimes I find myself pretty indifferent (Cowboy Bebop).

#7 | Back to Top02-03-2007 07:13:12 PM

Morielo
Saionji Slapper
Website

every new season I check the animes premiere list at ANN, after i read reviews i try to watch the first episode of each one (youtube is a great help) and I choose 3 or 4 series to watch during the season.

Thats how i discovered suzumiya haruhi, ouran host club, nana, yamato nadesiko shichihenge, etc.

Working on new signature, please wait

#8 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:06:28 PM

Musachan
Saionji Slapper

Not really. Though I like reading reviews to know some things about said series or movie or whatever.
It's more influenced by if I like the plot and characters or not.
I don't care at all about animation or art, so I watch a lot of very VERY old anime without complaint and am at times pleasantly surprised by how good the animation is in some scenes. -nod-
Though cute or beautiful art is always a plus!

Music also influences it. I love a good score, which is why I can't watch the Pokemon dub anymore and is another reason why the DiC Sailor Moon dub stunk. xD;; Removing the original score and replacing it with random synthesizer crud = bad.

Favorite characters: Musashi/Jessie, Kojiro/James, Nyasu/Meowth, Haruka/May, Hikari, Kiryuu Nanami, Tsuwabuki Mitsuru, ChuChu, Rakka, and Reki.

'This time we’re going together! Partners have to be supportive and trusting! Absolutely, unconditionally!' Musashi in Love and The Origin of Youth hoso special.

#9 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:47:03 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I don't really watch anime unless it's REALLY recommended by a friend with judgement that I trust. Like a friend told me I HAD to read Deathnote and normally I like her choices and she knows I'm not a random/casual manga reader. So I trusted her and I love it. emot-smile

But yeah, recommendation.

#10 | Back to Top02-03-2007 09:25:20 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The short answer is summaries.

The I-really-like-talking-about-myself-and-media answer is that I've been keeping up with the new series for about two/three years now. I try to trudge through moonphase despite my limited Japanese and get a little help from the new season lists at Random Curiosity , but I don't really take their opinion for anything or even look at it. Most of my friends are pretty anime-crazy so if I hear about something I've never heard of before on 4chan or something I'll look up the wikipedia/baka updates article on it and it it catches my eye I'll watch it.

I'm a little more lenient as far as manga/vnovels go and I don't really keep up with new releases since there's so much crap that get's released on a regular basis. I look up summaries of stuff on manga updates most of the time. If I find out an author or scanlator consistantly releases things I enjoy reading I'll be more likely to treat their new release schedule like anime seasons. Opposite applies too. D: I take reccomendations a little, but I usually have my opinion set. It takes A LOT of reccomending to get me to read something done by CLAMP.

I'm having an ESL day emot-gonk

Last edited by Hinotori (02-03-2007 09:27:01 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#11 | Back to Top02-03-2007 10:43:48 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

When it comes to choosing manga, I just read the summary on the back(or is it front) of the books at the store and then flick through to see if it interests me enough to buy it or not, so far I got over 200 books, including things like:
Vol 1-21 of Kare Kano
Vol 1-8 of Chobits
Vol 1-8 of AI Love You
Vol 1-12 of Negima
Vol 1-4 of Bring It On
Vol 1-14 of W Juilet
Vol 1-12 of Sgt Frog
Vol 1-12 of Cheeky Angel
Vol 1-6 of Gold Diggers
Vol 1-10 of The Wallflower
Vol 1-15 of Hana Kimi
Plus a number of other titles that escape me at the moment.

#12 | Back to Top02-03-2007 10:55:22 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Whatever my roommate forces me to watch.

Sometimes I choose things, but mostly based on the style of animation, but I wish I could choose based on music... I usually end up nto paying attention and jsut looking, or just listening.

...I used to have random bouts of seeing art of something and going 'wow' and usually end up not liking it... fortunately when I was in this phase, it was much easier to find single issues of comics and the like...

#13 | Back to Top02-04-2007 02:18:05 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My main anime choices are determined by the opinions of people I trust, and summaries of the anime itself. If Gio says it's good, I will consider watching it. If my brother says it's good, I'll consider watching it.

In most cases, I never get around to it.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#14 | Back to Top02-04-2007 10:50:42 AM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

The way I find out an anime varies greatly. O.o I don't even remember how I found out about my favorite anime, AIR. I usually look into animes that I hear are good, and I tend to be extremely critical of popular animes. @.@;

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#15 | Back to Top02-04-2007 12:20:07 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

most of the time recomendations, and sometimes I read reviews and get interested

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#16 | Back to Top02-14-2007 03:34:20 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I really don't like watching what everyone else is watching, so I avoid the overly hyped titles. I also try to avoid super long ones.

Its a mix of reviews, wikipedia information and youtube samples for me. I wait for an anime to really grab me, until I feel that I really want to watch it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#17 | Back to Top02-25-2007 10:43:40 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hmm~
Most of the times, I discover anime through freak accidents.
Miyazaki's film... my Kindergarten teacher always showed us Totoro and Doraemon, and we all loved it, that and the panda family. It's my first encounter with anime.
Then most other stuffs were actually from what my sister's watching, and I just come across with them. Sailor Moon, however, was due to manga read by the kid sitting next to me in elementary school. It used to be so popular among boys and girls, even though it's Magical Girl Genre. That's how I got interested in CLAMP, through their work Magic Knight Rayearth (<- 4th grade), then I got into Tokyo Babylon a year later through cable channel in Taiwan. Even though I didn't know they were both by the same mangaka then.
Not until middle school did I get familiar with the term anime. That's when I moved into America, and then I barely got in touch with anime because it wasn't that big then in the US. They had pokemon and CCS, and I haven't realized how much those shows were being butchered by the dub. Not until I recognized the existence of FanSub and Bittorrent.
Even then, I was still discovering anime through freak accidents, usually through online surfing, or by looking at my favorite mangaka or anime director's list of works. I'd go to wikipedia from time to time and I'd go, "Ooh, Youtube time~"

#18 | Back to Top02-28-2007 04:43:46 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

Most of the stuff I have I've pre-read (borrowing from friends) the first few volumes.

for anime.. Msot of the stuff I've seen On Demand =3

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

Board footer