This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-13-2011 04:34:13 PM

Tardigrade
Wakaba Wrangler

Reboot of SKU?

Here's an interesting thought.

If SKU is the Evangelion of Shoujou, what if it were to go down the same path as Evangelion and do a series of movies that reboot the whole plot?

What would you want to see? Would it be a good idea?

Myself, I would LOVE to see this. Higher quality art, no repeated stock footage and fresh takes on all the characters.

#2 | Back to Top11-14-2011 04:16:01 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Reboot of SKU?

Remember the movie? That basically WAS the reboot of the anime. Keep going further down that road and Anthy would be turned into a lamp post in a skirt, Utena would be turned into Gene Kelly and Akio would end up as a small packet of potato chips. (Salt and vinegar flavoured.)

#3 | Back to Top11-14-2011 06:01:29 AM

Makubi
Touga Topper

crystalwren wrote:

Akio would end up as a small packet of potato chips. (Salt and vinegar flavoured.)

Would he have a small television concealed inside himself? emot-tongue

#4 | Back to Top11-14-2011 06:24:26 AM

Tardigrade
Wakaba Wrangler

I don't know, the Utena movie was a bit of a let-down in my book, whilst I preferred the Evangelion reboot to the tv-series.
Saying that, I rather liked seeing Touga and Utena as a couple etc-love

#5 | Back to Top11-16-2011 08:59:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ikuhara is way too hyperactive to stay close enough to the material that you don't get another Utena movie out of it. Except this time they turn into 747s. school-freud

But in a perfect world, a rebooted version would introduce Akio quicker, probably pare down the cast (what, too many people for five hours of material), have more sex, and...

Wait no, this is just the fantasy Gio version. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:08:56 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Giovanna wrote:

Ikuhara is way too hyperactive to stay close enough to the material that you don't get another Utena movie out of it. Except this time they turn into 747s. school-freud

But in a perfect world, a rebooted version would introduce Akio quicker, probably pare down the cast (what, too many people for five hours of material), have more sex, and...

I think we all would want to see the fantasy Gio version etc-love. Maybe we could petition for an ecchi remake?

More on topic:
Even if Ikuhara were a little more grounded, the ability of the creator to recapture the magic that made the original good would still be my major concern with a remake. Given enough time and creators will either forget their original intentions/motivations/inspiration or they will have been given too much time to embellish upon their favorite parts of the project and lose sight of the bigger picture. The former gives you a bland, sometimes cash-in style remake, the latter gives you fan-wank of the canonical variety. I am not a big fan of either. etc-saiowank

The only time a remake is really good is when the original had to be cut down or was stifled (by executive meddling, low budget, etc.) and left its audience with an incomplete project. It's only my opinion, but I didn't walk away from Utena feeling that it was incomplete or poorly realized. I wanted to see more of it, sure, but that's not the same thing.

#7 | Back to Top11-17-2011 03:12:02 PM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

The biggest problem is that Tomoko Kawakami has passed away, and no one could ever replace her as Utena. And even if none of the other cast members have died, they're a lot older and I don't think they could get into their roles the way they did back in 1997.

I think the best way to create an enhanced version of SKU would be to keep the original audio but replace the video with 60fps Akira-quality animation. If I were doing it I'd keep most of the shots identical to the original, but have a different sequence for ZUM every time and seriously enhance the duel animation with original choreography and lots of detail in each duel. Of course there's no chance of this happening, it'd be freakishly expensive with a very dubious return on investment.

Probably the best way to create another addition to the Utena franchise would be to tell the story of another era in Anthy and Akio's history, set in some purgatorial realm where they dwelled before they came to Ohtori. Akio could be the heir apparent to a noble family in Renaissance Italy, or France, or even the Ottoman Empire or India. Whatever the case, he would gather ambitious young people around him and goad them to fight over Anthy. It would be like a surrealist historical fiction piece, and would inevitably end in tragedy when Anthy's betrothed gets sacrificed to preserve Akio's illusion.

#8 | Back to Top11-17-2011 03:32:47 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Davine Lu Linvega wrote:

Probably the best way to create another addition to the Utena franchise would be to tell the story of another era in Anthy and Akio's history, set in some purgatorial realm where they dwelled before they came to Ohtori. Akio could be the heir apparent to a noble family in Renaissance Italy, or France, or even the Ottoman Empire or India. Whatever the case, he would gather ambitious young people around him and goad them to fight over Anthy. It would be like a surrealist historical fiction piece, and would inevitably end in tragedy when Anthy's betrothed gets sacrificed to preserve Akio's illusion.

emot-aaa... I take it all back. THIS sounds like it could be really cool.

#9 | Back to Top11-17-2011 10:56:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yeah, I've always kind of assumed that's the 'reality' of it, like Akio and Anthy have existed in almost every age, and 'reincarnated' themselves and their image as time has passed. But always a little warped, with things not quite timed right, but still, it's not hard to imagine that there was a version of their 'game' in Ancient Rome or China. They've lied to each other for centuries, and their lie couldn't always have been a Japanese school.

It'd be interesting too just because any story about them set prior to SKU would establish just how tight and circular their relationship is, and how pathetically it repeats itself. The story of SKU is probably something they've played through a thousand times, with different settings maybe, different costumes...but only this once did the game turn around. It'd be fascinating to have it illustrated how futile things were for them before Utena.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#10 | Back to Top11-18-2011 04:35:14 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Makubi wrote:

crystalwren wrote:

Akio would end up as a small packet of potato chips. (Salt and vinegar flavoured.)

Would he have a small television concealed inside himself? emot-tongue

I see what u did thair...

#11 | Back to Top11-18-2011 04:44:13 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Yeah, I've always kind of assumed that's the 'reality' of it, like Akio and Anthy have existed in almost every age, and 'reincarnated' themselves and their image as time has passed. But always a little warped, with things not quite timed right, but still, it's not hard to imagine that there was a version of their 'game' in Ancient Rome or China. They've lied to each other for centuries, and their lie couldn't always have been a Japanese school.

It'd be interesting too just because any story about them set prior to SKU would establish just how tight and circular their relationship is, and how pathetically it repeats itself. The story of SKU is probably something they've played through a thousand times, with different settings maybe, different costumes...but only this once did the game turn around. It'd be fascinating to have it illustrated how futile things were for them before Utena.

This actually leads me back to a personal theory about the scene in the Akio arc where Utena stops Anthy from throwing herself from the top of the Giant Penis Tower. The question has been asked why a supposed immortal thought that attempting suicide would get her anywhere; I've come to the conclusion that the current incarnation of Anthy would die. Meaning that her and Akio would have to move on to play their game elsewhere in the world. It would be a fascinating exercise to see how the cycle got started, perpetuated and then stagnated. Of course, it wouldn't be Revolutionary Girl Utena any more; it would be Coffin Dweller Anthy (or something very like).

#12 | Back to Top11-18-2011 10:54:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oooo!!!

I've always taken her suicide attempt honestly to be staged for the benefit of THE PLAN. The catch is that it is honestly felt, but done knowing she wouldn't die. I really like that interpretation and it would make for incredible story. It would certainly explain/add to the undercurrent of tension between the siblings, since I suspect Akio doesn't appreciate his plans getting all mucked up by suicidal sisters that hate their lives. Or would it be so stagnant by now that they'd know it was coming and already have a new plan in the works?

#13 | Back to Top11-18-2011 03:41:51 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Giovanna wrote:

That was my interpretation as well. I thought they didn't actually recall their plan until after...something.

#14 | Back to Top11-22-2011 06:36:23 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

A reboot could work, like what they do to the Transformers franchise every so often. It could let the team get creative with the new plots and such.

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#15 | Back to Top11-22-2011 07:20:04 PM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

Honestly, I like the ending. etc-love .

Utena is a deconstruction/subversion of fairy tale archetypes, so having an ending where everything is happy-hunky-dory and conclusive wouldn't really go with that goal-so a continuation isn't really necessary (although I believe the film is somewhat of a continuation/reboot).

Now, a prequel about Anthy and Akio and Dios? That I could go for. In fact, it seems like the only part of Utena that was inadequately expounded upon; I've always been a little pissed off about the ambiguity of Anthy and Akio's identities, mainly because you never get to see more than a few snippets of their real personalities and their pasts are only alluded to. I need backstory emot-mad

....Although, from an absolutely fangirlish perspective, I've been entertained by the idea of a Japanese-style remake of Utena. Where they aren't trying to be French and duel with katana and everyone wears kimonos.

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#16 | Back to Top11-23-2011 10:40:20 AM

Makubi
Touga Topper

BalamiyaVardihi wrote:

A reboot could work, like what they do to the Transformers franchise every so often. It could let the team get creative with the new plots and such.

That just makes me think they'll do all the duels in weird 3D with poorly animated faces, Utena and Anthy will be helped out by a trio of precocious teenagers who run around collecting rose crests so that they can unlock the Rose Gate before bad ol' Akio'tron, who transforms into a dueling sword wielded by his backstabbing sidekick TougaScream. emot-tongue

In some ways I'm not sure I would go for a prequel series, but I think that would depend on how it was handled. For me personally, a lot of the thrill of watching Utena the first time came from the mystery of the Rose Bride and the Prince (which is why the big reveal in The Seal Of The Rose is one of my favourite parts of the show, it just throws everything into a new light), so having a series where we know that eventually Akio and Anthy are going to end up back at square one, having failed to open the Rose Gate or escape any kind of coffins would be  perhaps a little dull, unless they were able to focus on another Utena type character, perhaps one who was male and yet didn't fully grasp what it meant to be a prince, which meant that in the end he couldn't save Anthy from the coffin?

And whilst I'm not always for 'what happened afterwards?' sequels, I did love reading Sharnii's Roses Grow, especially when everything got a bit mind screw at the end, so I do think something like that would work for Utena.

#17 | Back to Top11-23-2011 06:07:45 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

We'll get HBO on board. They seem unhappy unless what they're making is loaded with sex. ...YEAH I WANT TO SEE A SEX-DRENCHED PREQUEL WITH AKIO AND ANTHY BEING POSING POSERS IN SOME OTHER TIME PERIOD OH YEAH. etc-wankgirl Bring the revolution, baby. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#18 | Back to Top11-23-2011 07:19:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

An HBO version of SKU would be FUCKING AMAZING RIORFWEBCVWE etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl etc-wankgirl

It'd be like 10 sex scenes an episode.

#19 | Back to Top11-23-2011 07:25:59 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

Mylene and I have actually toyed around with this idea of Akio and Anthy as they journey through history, trying to find a worthy candidate to help them regain the power of Dios.

It's not a full story, but we envisioned them in the World War II era.  Up until this point, the two have been traveling the world looking for candidates.  Akio knew from the end of the first World War that the second was inevitable.  As he makes deals to maximize his gains from the slaughter, Anthy is both charming and slowly growing attached to the latest candidate, a young sea captain who has been using his ship and his pure-blood German heritage to smuggle Jews to safety.

As it does eventually lead to the canon story, you can guess how all this ends.  By the conclusion, Akio decides to use his new-found war wealth to establish what will eventually be Ohtori Academy, a place where potential candidates can be gathered and refined free of chaotic outside influences.

#20 | Back to Top11-23-2011 07:28:16 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I'd like to see what happened in the outside world, both before and after Dios lost his powers. I mean, a giant Kaiju stomping through Tokyo? The world consumed by darkness? Tell me more.

Board footer