This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:02:03 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

What is your main anime source?

What is your main anime source? for me, I got started by watching anime on Cartoon Network and buying some of them clunky VHS anime videos, but as time has gone on, I've converted to DVDs and downloads (selling my tapes) and now I rarely watch CN (even adult swim) anymore. It's all edited and boring. I'm now between some downloads but mainly Netflix.

#2 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:09:38 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Re: What is your main anime source?

Yeah, Netflix and a great anime store near my house, Anime Pavilion.

Edit: If I like it enough to buy it (like Utena), once it's licensed, I'll buy it from Amazon usually.

Last edited by Dani (02-04-2007 04:05:06 PM)

#3 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:23:28 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

The internet? I wonder how many decades I'd have to wait till they start selling a nice variety of anime around here. Only thing they have right now are some award winning Miyazaki films and a few series (Ghost in the Shell, I think, and some other classics).

But then again, I don't watch that much anime anyway, but there are some series I'd like to buy.

Also, there's anime on Cartoon Network? When I was little I used to watch it everyday but then they had no anime there. emot-mad

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#4 | Back to Top02-03-2007 02:49:56 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Until last year or so, my main source of anime has been whatever they released in video hire stores as well as what was on Cartoon Network and the occassional anime screening on SBS, but more recently its been mostly what I discover on Youtube.

#5 | Back to Top02-03-2007 04:24:00 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I have a few friends who are far more into anime than I am. They're my suppliers. cool

(But they've all watched my Utena DVD's, so we're more than even!)

There's also an anime group in the city that meets once a month, which I used to go to before work got in the way.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#6 | Back to Top02-03-2007 04:54:00 PM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I want netflix again, it wa a past source, that's how I wtched the entire show and the movie.
Now I'm dryyyyyy!

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#7 | Back to Top02-03-2007 06:33:16 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I'm strongly morally opposed to fansubs and other pirated anime, so I get most new stuff through Zip (Canada's Netflix), buying whatever I like most.

#8 | Back to Top02-03-2007 06:56:46 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I know that a lot of anime never gets translated for the English speaking market and the few of the ones that do eventually often get chopped up and the so-called professional subtitles are often not as well done as the fan subs anyway.

For me at least without access to a credit card, I am limited to hiring whatever few titles are released over here which is only a few percent of what animes are shown in Japan, so even if you do things 'by the book' there are tons of titles that you will never get to see that will ever be translated officially because for one reason or another, companies like Viz or MangaMadness do not bother to buy them so your only choice will be the fansubs (they often do the work for nothing but their desire to share)

I myself will still hope to buy professional titles like the Utena series because I am curious about what the dub would sound like and I want to be able to watch it on the big screen.

#9 | Back to Top02-03-2007 07:47:11 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

My source is the Anime Network On Demand.  It's one of those thingies you can get on IO Cable.  Only in the US, tho.

My other sources are my friends, who all have more money than I do, so they lend me their riches.

BWAHAHA! MOOCHING IS AWESOME!!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#10 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:08:08 PM

Musachan
Saionji Slapper

The internet and the lovely DVDs at the theatre megaplex in Bahrain's Seef Mall. emot-keke

Favorite characters: Musashi/Jessie, Kojiro/James, Nyasu/Meowth, Haruka/May, Hikari, Kiryuu Nanami, Tsuwabuki Mitsuru, ChuChu, Rakka, and Reki.

'This time we’re going together! Partners have to be supportive and trusting! Absolutely, unconditionally!' Musashi in Love and The Origin of Youth hoso special.

#11 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:11:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I watch whatever my brother the Prince buys that I'm interested in. emot-keke

He also gives me assigned reading in comics. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:14:48 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I buy it. The only time I use an alternative method is if it hasn't been released in America.

#13 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:19:13 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

random stores online and local mall Suncoast... anime is their BIGGEST seller... AND they even sell some random candy and ramune!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#14 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:26:52 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Tamago wrote:

I know that a lot of anime never gets translated for the English speaking market and the few of the ones that do eventually often get chopped up and the so-called professional subtitles are often not as well done as the fan subs anyway.

For me at least without access to a credit card, I am limited to hiring whatever few titles are released over here which is only a few percent of what animes are shown in Japan, so even if you do things 'by the book' there are tons of titles that you will never get to see that will ever be translated officially because for one reason or another, companies like Viz or MangaMadness do not bother to buy them so your only choice will be the fansubs (they often do the work for nothing but their desire to share)

I myself will still hope to buy professional titles like the Utena series because I am curious about what the dub would sound like and I want to be able to watch it on the big screen.

Tamago, anime is a luxury.

Yep, there's some anime I won't see because I don't watch illegal pirated copies.

So what?  I don't have a right to anime. I do not have the right to take it without compensating the people who made it. If you like a show, that should make you all the more willing to buy it, as a "thank you" to the many people who worked hard to make it.

There's also virtually no licensed anime that gets "chopped up" anymore, and to say so is simply misleading and wrong. The only anime that doesn't get uncut releases these days is a few things bought to show to kids on TV, and even most of those get uncut releases. I won't even touch upon the "accurate subtitles" issue except to note that a) translation is an art, not a science, and b) people who aren't fluent in Japanese themselves can't really judge. I'm aware you're in Australia, and there's less anime licensed there than in North America, but that doesn't and cannot justify taking it. You don't need anime to live. It's a luxury. You can get along just fine with what you can get there, and you could import things you really wanted to see, and yes, you could do it without a credit card. It's your decision every time you download something and don't compensate the people who created it. Nobody forced you into it, I'm sorry.

And frankly, I don't share your positive view of fansubbers. When five groups are competing to release the latest "hot" anime which is bound to be licensed - or is already licensed, hello, Naruto - it's pretty clearly ego, not a "desire to share", motivates most of them.

Anyway, that is off-topic, so I won't continue derailing the thread. If you want to respond, we could take it to PM or start another thread?

#15 | Back to Top02-03-2007 08:31:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Blade, are you just begging for that custom title after all? emot-tongue

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#16 | Back to Top02-03-2007 09:14:44 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Blade wrote:

Anyway, that is off-topic, so I won't continue derailing the thread.

*cough*

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#17 | Back to Top02-03-2007 10:18:26 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

In the last couple of years manga has become quite plentiful well at least where I been able to get my books, I get on average about 10% discount there as I was one of the first customers to buy manga from there but I still pay anything from $16-$20 per book (I have acuminated about 200 books so far) emot-rolleyes

On the other hand, the tiny selection of anime costs about $30 per DVD which is why I hire anime ($10 for 4 DVDs a week) whenever I can as I like to watch it on a TV and hear the dub vs original version, I watch fansubs on Youtube otherwise for stuff I cannot get or titles that has not been subtitled. school-eng101

#18 | Back to Top02-03-2007 10:27:12 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

The part of the post that goes bump in the night wrote:

I'll explain my reasons for downloading unlisenced anime in the other thread entirely when I'm not about to leave. I don't work in the entertainment industry, but I have some friends who do and over the years it's become pretty clear to me that a lot of the modern English anime market has realised (from their own risk with the Big O dub) that the English and Japanese markets are not always receptive towards the same thing and are concentrating more and more on what's becoming popular in the fansub/scanlation community over just what's popular in Japan. I know that's a pretty small market, but I have no doubt it's enough to compensate for the English language anime viewers that don't buy merchandise, and I think that's a lot smaller demographic than people realise. Socially and fiscally pirating Haruhi isn't quite the same as pirating Firefly.

Hey hey now. How about a nice cup of on topic.

When I choose to download anime I usually do it from AnimeSuki or Tokyotosho. If BT is being particularly uncooporative a lot of fansubbers have IRC packlist listen on their sites and it's all pretty self-explanatory. A lot of anime fansubbers use StrawberriesNCream.net but that site seems to be deliberately obtuse. Your best bet if you don't want to use torrents is going into the IRC channel and reading the topic. If they have a packlist for their bot or direct downloads it's probably going to be there.

Manga's a lot easier. The vast majority of manga being scanlated or raw can be found on gotlurk.net, and they may or may not have a hentai section on thelurker if that's your cup of tea. I'm a bit less intereted in downloading manga, though, since it's a lot less likely that manga will get released in English so they don't watch the numbers as carefully. If I find a work I like by a relatively obscure mangaka I'll order the damn thing in Japanese and download it off Lurk and read it while it's coming. I won't be able to read my copy with any proficiency, anyway.

When the series is licensed I usually use Netflix or Amazon. If it's an unlicensed series or manga that I really want to support Amazon.co.jp, Yesasia.com, Jpqueen.com and Comiket service (only the last two if it's seriously obscure) are the best sources possible. That should be it.

OH, and as far as streaming goes (for Tamago) I've never tried crunchyroll but I have a lot of friends who think it's the best thing ever. As far as I can tell it's like an otaku culture youtube.

Last edited by Hinotori (02-03-2007 10:27:21 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#19 | Back to Top02-04-2007 12:44:53 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

mostly I search my anime in fansubs. My only excuse is that extremely few anime gets licensed and passed on tv here, and even fewer is found on dvd. When I really like one series I import the dvds.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#20 | Back to Top02-14-2007 03:41:37 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Ebay. Anime and manga. I get everything brand new for half the price. Its great.

And if its unavailable, too expensive or anything else, I download it. The Sailor Moon manga being out of print, I am not going to spend $200 dollars I don't have on used copies, which aren't going to artist anyway. Same goes for the Sailor Stars season of the anime, which I think is all pirated anyway. If I can't get something, I download it. I don't download to get out of buying.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#21 | Back to Top02-14-2007 06:04:27 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

It used to be Suncoast for me, before they went out of business. Now it's Best Buy, or, when I go downstate, Circuit City.

#22 | Back to Top02-14-2007 09:29:35 PM

Kanashimi
Juri Jeerer
Website

Suncoast because I love that place. If not, I head for Fry's or Ebay. Sometimes the internet because I'm a cheap bastard. xD

#23 | Back to Top02-26-2007 09:23:43 PM

JStarr06
Wakaba Wrangler

Currently, my main anime source is my school's anime club. What better way to do something you love than with other people. I can't use bittorrent at school, so I can't download a lot of anime anymore.emot-frown But thanks to you-tube I can a least watch some of the things I've heard is good, or I put off watching.emot-smile

#24 | Back to Top02-27-2007 05:05:53 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I barely watch anime anymore but I used to go to FYE or Best Buy. I download shows that are currently on air (since their DVDs aren't out in Japan yet anyway) but I don't waste time on that if its not. That's usually the case with dramas. Also, I hate bittorenting since it takes forever. I don't prefer downloading it if its licensed. What's the point if you could buy excellent quality stuff?

Come to think of it, I've been to these stores and DVDs have gotten a lot cheaper. I mean, come on, I got the Utena DVDs for $30.00 per boxset. Well, at Best Buy it was. I also got another boxset for $15.00. Is this possibly because of the new Blue Rays? If so, pretty soon, we might be able to get anime DVDs dirt cheap! emot-dance

#25 | Back to Top02-27-2007 05:46:50 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I get most of the anime I buy from rightstuf.com or amazon.com - and I have to admit, if I buy from amazon.com, its usually used.

As for unlicensed stuff, I use bittorent for stuff I really like and youtube for stuff I have a slight interest in.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

Board footer