This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top06-03-2010 03:52:27 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Re: Say WHUT? Share your speech habits!

OnionPrince wrote:

On the other hand, I speak Japanese with a Kansai accent because I deliberately trained myself to do so.

I also want to get a Kansai-ben when I eventually teach overseas. emot-tongue I just think Kansai is waaaay better of a region than Tokyo, which is overrated. Everything I've seen of Osaka people, I've liked. emot-dance

As for my quirks, even though I'm Cajun, don't act me to ever imitate a Cajun accent. Even though it gets worse the more I stay here, I really cannot at all do it justice--as it is, people in the larger Louisiana cities pretty much recognize that we can't do it very accurately, just that we have a twinge of it. And about half the time when I'm subbing, I've had a kid or a teacher ask, "Where are you from?" Apparently, I've picked up something mysteriously big city North Carolina, which two have said sounds "slower." This is totally insane since I'm living in about as deep South as you can get. I can go on and on about how bizarre the Cajun accent is, but for a shorter version, just watch Rene on TrueBlood, Poopoo Broussard on youtube, or this Cajun Onstar video that everyone down here loves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9bsy0DOR0

My boyfriend right now has a pretty thick Cajun accent, and I think it's adorable. emot-keke As for personal quirks, I will make a song out of anything. ANYTHING. Shopping for groceries, telling children they can't go to the bathroom, an ode to how much I hate you, etc. Just whenever the mood strikes me. I also have random noises which, thankfully, people tend to think are cute rather than annoying. I also tend to use big words that confuse people, but often inappropriately, like calling one of my friends an egregious slut. My accent also gets waaaaaay more Southern, with a possible hint of black from god only knows where, when I get angry.

Hat Mafia Member

#52 | Back to Top06-04-2010 12:19:37 AM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

What are the differences between a tokyo accent and Kansai-ben?

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#53 | Back to Top06-04-2010 03:24:10 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Forgot to mention: I am one of those abominable twats who says 'lol' and 'winrar' and shit IRL. Which is funnier cos I'm an English undergrad and used to be the sort of autistic grammar nazi that everyone loves to hate.
Of course, when I say 'funnier', I mean even more irritating, if such a thing is possible.
Everyone also gets 'mate' and 'man'. This, for bonus points, especially pisses off my girlfriend.
emot-biggrin

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#54 | Back to Top06-04-2010 06:02:27 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Bluesky wrote:

Forgot to mention: I am one of those abominable twats who says 'lol' and 'winrar' and shit IRL. Which is funnier cos I'm an English undergrad and used to be the sort of autistic grammar nazi that everyone loves to hate.
Of course, when I say 'funnier', I mean even more irritating, if such a thing is possible.
Everyone also gets 'mate' and 'man'. This, for bonus points, especially pisses off my girlfriend.
emot-biggrin

Fun fact: You made me start saying winrar

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#55 | Back to Top06-05-2010 01:15:28 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Putting pants onto the ends of words.

Yes.

I do this in real-lifepants.

(I also pretty much stole a lot of my online and rl speaking habits from allegoriest and Lady N and a bit from Naji here on IRG.  emot-dance )

Thing must be preeeetty delicious over there.

...I get my online writing habits from being so freakin delicious.
My sister and I say lol to eachother. Once I said brb in person, and it was like, WTF HAPPENED TO MEEEEE emot-gonk

#56 | Back to Top06-05-2010 02:27:05 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Just today, I used "Teh" out loud to a group of friends, several times and no one batted an eye lash. Which makes me wonder exactly how many Internetisms do I use?

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#57 | Back to Top06-05-2010 05:54:58 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Epee_724 wrote:

Bluesky wrote:

emot-biggrin

Fun fact: You made me start saying winrar

OH FUCK YEAH. High-five, man.
I love spreading Internetisms to other people. Language of the future! emot-biggrin

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#58 | Back to Top06-05-2010 02:18:13 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I'm not a native of the area I'm living in, and you'd think that because the areas are in the same state the speech patterns shouldn't be so different...WRONG!

Firstly the words there, their, and theirs.... I pronounce them 'th-air' and 'th-airz' but it's frequently pronounced in this region with deeper emphasis on the vowels...and a 'd' sound in replacement of the 'th' sound so... 'D-er' 'Dare(z)', and 'Th-er' is much more common.

I tend to (in more relaxed circumstances) to pronounce the word 'button' as 'buh-uhn' ...don't ask me where the double 't' went it goes on vacation from time to time >_> Likewise 'something' becomes 'sump-uhn' and nothing becomes 'nuh-in' although when I was younger it was 'nuffin'

For the most part I pronounce things with all their vowels and consonants unless they're silent...
oh...brussel sprouts becomes 'bressle sprouts'... my speaking becomes much more southern the more relaxed I become. I actually said 'What kin I do ya' for?' today... >__<

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#59 | Back to Top06-05-2010 02:20:23 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Epee_724 wrote:

Just today, I used "Teh" out loud to a group of friends, several times and no one batted an eye lash. Which makes me wonder exactly how many Internetisms do I use?

Oh, I hate when that happens especially around like old people and in professional settings. I really do try to avoid it though... I sometimes say 'that is teh sux'  but not very often

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#60 | Back to Top06-24-2010 10:57:50 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Bluesky wrote:

Riri-kins wrote:

My dad has noticed that I pronounce the word for as fer, and it drives him crazy. I honestly can't help it, though. I'm from Texas. emot-biggrin

zomg. I love Southern USA accents, I dunno what that's about since I come from the North of England and have never met anyone with one IRL, lol. But they sound so pleasing to the ear.

Ha ha, thank you. My family says it makes me sound uneducated. I can't blame them, though. Even Jeff Foxworthy jokes that southern accents aren't the smartest sounding.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#61 | Back to Top06-25-2010 09:22:02 AM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

I rather like Southern accents. Especially from the deep South. But you should've heard my American lit class reading through A Streetcar Named Desire. Many aimed for Southern accents...many failed. Twas grand fun:grin:

My speech is a conglomerate of things. Their are antiquated word from books (thusly, indeed, quite, heretofore, fair-to-middling being some of the more common), words borrowed from friends (dude has become all purpose. also awesome-possum. and addressing people as lovely).

Furthermore my parents brought me up on British television and movies so around strangers I apparently lapse into a British accent without noticing or being able to control it.

Oh...and my one regional quirk: People from Northeast Ohio tend to start their sentences strongly and then, toward the end, kinda... just... y'know... drop *mumbles*
I'm trying to cure myself because it's awful. People have to guess my last couple words.

Last edited by Hermine (06-27-2010 01:48:56 PM)

#62 | Back to Top06-25-2010 06:17:44 PM

Cherry
Mikage Mistruster
Website

I apparently say "oo-er though!" a lot. My friends find it hilarious. In fact, that's the only reason I realise I say it - because they wet themselves laughing everytime it slips out. Other than that, I generally haven't noticed anything unusual about my speech patterns, but maybe if I spoke to any of you, you'd notice some. I do come out with internet speak a lot. Mostly intentionally. And then I swear a lot. That's about it!
Oh, I say "cool" in place of "I understand" or something. Which is fine around friends and stuff, but I think it looks strange in interviews and such, when they tell me something, and I say "cool" to indicate I understand. T_T And I say "S'laters" instead of "see you later".

I never know what to write here..

#63 | Back to Top06-26-2010 04:11:57 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Cherry wrote:

Oh, I say "cool" in place of "I understand" or something. Which is fine around friends and stuff, but I think it looks strange in interviews and such, when they tell me something, and I say "cool" to indicate I understand. T_T And I say "S'laters" instead of "see you later".

Oh, I do that, keep bloody forgetting it's not normal. At my work experience (in a library, woohoo) I keep accidentally responding with everything with 'awesome' like some kind of twat. 'In a bit' is good instead of 'laters', too. emot-biggrin

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#64 | Back to Top07-02-2010 01:59:29 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Bluesky wrote:

Adrasteia wrote:

Also, "Buddy dat's sum gay luh!" pops up all over the place. Good times.

What the hell does that mean. emot-rofl

Ahaha, I fail at forums and promptness. I -think- it means that something is really dumb and awful. Gay, as we all know, is clearly synonymous with bad. emot-rolleyes

The "luh" part is just there because it adds a creative touch to our accent. emot-smile

#65 | Back to Top07-02-2010 07:34:16 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

I have a fondness for Southern accents myself, like Hermine I especially like deep Southern ones. My boss is from the south so I actually do enjoy listened to him speak because it's very relaxing. emot-tongue

My speech patterns apparently make it difficult for people to place where I'm from. Most people assume the UK which is understandable since I spent some time there, others think the Midwest which is silly to me. I'm actually from the Northeast, Massachusetts to be exact and thankfully completely lack a Boston accent.

I too also say goofy shit like "lol" IRL, mostly in silly situations at work (I'll just randomly say things like "lollerskates" and such emot-tongue). I'm very guily of saying "yer" and "fer" though instead of "your/you're" and "for". I try to retrain my tongue to pronounce it right but so far no such luck.

#66 | Back to Top07-31-2013 01:25:49 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I forgot to mention that I say used to could instead of used to be able to and drop my g's. For instance, I'll pronounce going as goin'. Oh, and let's not forget that people from out of town think it's hilarious when I say y'all or howdy. My ex used to say I sounded slightly like Scarlett O'Hara. I don't hear it.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#67 | Back to Top08-01-2013 01:05:55 AM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Since moving to Honolulu four years ago, I've slowly integrated a bit of local slang into my everyday speech. I'll end sentences with "yeah?" and greet people with "howzit?" but I haven't adopted the sing-song lilt that comes with speaking pidgin (aka Hawaiian Creole English).

I also say "da kine" instead of "whatchamacallit" or whenever the word I need doesn't come directly to mind (or whenever I'm deliberately trying to obfuscate). My fellow transplant friends find it hilarious.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#68 | Back to Top08-01-2013 09:20:55 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

...why haven't I posted here yet?

I tend to mix fancypants words with common words. I also, unless I'm explaining why to somebody else, pronounce the word laboratory as "luh-BORE-uh-tor-ee". You know, the same way that Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory does. Also, pretentious mad scientists and the English. I think. >>;;;

I am the only American I know who knows how to spell maneuver in proper British English. (Manoeuvre, I believe it was. Blame my being an unrepentant XCom fanboy; the game was written in England.) I've assimilated Yasha's calling everybody she hasn't reason to be pissed with sweetie, though I keep it to females (for some reason, males tend to get upset with being called that).

I click my tongue when I'm talking to somebody and can't figure out what word I'm looking for, or if I'm trying to think about what I was going to say next in the sentence. If I'm chatting with you and you hear me doing so, I've forgotten where I was going with the sentence. This is actually a Big Problem With Bio(tm), and he is seeking therapy to solve it.

I also occasionally end sentences with question marks instead of periods, when the sentence in question could be phrased slightly queryingly (that a word, sat?). Like "I hope I'm not at fault this time?" as a complete sentence. I assimilated it from Aine Silveria.

I do happen to say "lol" or "lolz" out loud. Generally, though, only when nobody human is around to hear, but I do say it around my mom.

I have no clue if I even have an accent; if I do, I'd suspect I have an Arizonan accent. My mom has an accent that, according to an actual Englishman, is a flawless Londonderry accent. Flawless enough to make him think she was actually from Northern Ireland, anyway. (She's not. She's from Denver, Colorado, and grew up a few miles away from LAX airport.)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#69 | Back to Top08-08-2013 02:40:02 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I like to mess up with collocations in Polish to make a speech more "visual". For example I can say someone's words blistered my ears.

#70 | Back to Top08-08-2013 12:12:19 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

I tend to draw out the "ah" sound in some words. Boston becomes "Bahhhston", walk "wahhlk"; I only just noticed it this year, and now I feel a bit self-conscious when I speak.

Oh treachery!

#71 | Back to Top08-16-2013 02:11:50 AM

Arreat
Ohtori Paramouri

I tend to be lazy when talking. Words slur slightly. Also I seem to have a soft voice which doubles in confusing people.

I can tell you right now though that Sarah Palin is an odd one. I've never met anyone that sounds like her up here in Alaska.

#72 | Back to Top08-16-2013 07:40:13 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Oh, right! Forgot a few things.

I curse like a sailor. Well, maybe not like a sailor, but definitely like a Marine, as my family doesn't have anybody who served in the Navy just yet. This is one of the big reasons I don't hang around small children and tweens, but amazingly I can tone it down. For several seconds, at most, I believe. This extends to my writing, though it's only really obvious in my fanfic, when it's completely OOC for a canon character.

I'm a horrible, horrible grammar/spelling Nazi. I am also one of those rare few (as in, I've never met another of the breed yet) that's also a pronounciation Nazi! As may have been mentioned above, if you don't say "laboratory" like I do, expect to be put down or torn into like a dog toy until I succeed in coverting you or you punch my lights out. Whichever happens first. emot-tongue And that's just one example out of many; if we're Skyping and I hear you say something and think you're "saying it wrong," I'll correct you automatically. As with most of my quirks, Aine can affirm that I do this. >>;;;

Errata to my original post as well: my mom's affected accent is not Londonderry, but if I remember the chat we had after I'd posted, it's closer to Belfast. It's still amusing how she learned it, by watching QVC during a St. Patrick's Day special. She used to slip into it at virtually any mention of the holiday or the Irish (as it's a big part of my heritage down my father's side), but now she can control it flawlessly like flipping a light switch. Those of you who visit me in the desert, remind me to have her demonstrate. emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#73 | Back to Top12-22-2013 12:24:39 PM

Cheerie132
Wakaba Wrangler

Well, for one, I don't swear in my mother tongue, but sometimes (read everyday) an english curse word escapes my mouth (mainly the "s" word and "damn it!") But I'd like to quit entirely. emot-smile How sweet, I know.
On a different note, I use the word "like" at least 2 or 3 times per sentence, because I'm eloquent like that.
Also, when someone asks me about my opinion, I tend to start my little speech with the word "well".
And sometimes I just trail off in the middle of the sentence and start a new one, simply because I still can't express everything in English. emot-gonk
Plus, I just noticed i use A LOT of brackets when I write something on the forum. And I use CAPITAL LETTERS a lot, too. emot-rofl

Last edited by Cheerie132 (12-22-2013 01:23:59 PM)

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust -

#74 | Back to Top12-25-2013 02:03:59 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

BioKraze wrote:

...why haven't I posted here yet?

I tend to mix fancypants words with common words.

Me too in addition to mixing in, other random words, whenever for example, last week I asked a co-worker if he was being truculent, out of no where.? Such,fun right?
I also really need to remember to enunciate my words correctly, all the time, it is rather hit or miss.

Also your mom's random Irish accent, sounds fun; I would love, to get, a good random British accent.

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (12-25-2013 02:04:33 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#75 | Back to Top12-28-2013 06:55:14 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

I use "awesome" and "like" more than necessary. I also tend to pick up slang and phrases, and try to keep up with American speech - I like teaching Japanese friends proper use of words like "creeper".
The least-conscious and most potentially communication-inhibiting thing I do, though, is mix Japanese into my English. I don't really go the other way, and when I do it's usually English Japanese people understand. I also don't, unfortunately, put in the kind of Japanese that some Americans understand. Instead, probably due to how long I've been here and the level of immersion I have, I have moments when I literally can't remember the English word and it's quicker and easier for me to substitute in Japanese for everything from name of months to words like "playing hooky" (Ex: 'Yeah, maybe better to saboru today.'). Since the majority of my friends here are foreigners with at least intermediate Japanese skill, I get away with it, but then I try skyping with my parents...I never used to have so many pauses in my English speech.

ETA: in Japanese, my verbal ticks are "tabun..." (probably...), ~kedo/da kedo (but~), and using the ~nakucha form when I have to do something.

Last edited by Pratyeka (12-28-2013 06:57:58 AM)

Board footer