This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-25-2015 08:48:18 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Utena Trailer for class

Hey guys! I mentioned a little bit back that I needed help making a fake trailer for Utena where I needed Touga's speech about the sound that races through the ends of the world. Thanks to Endless' help ripping the speech from the game I was able to make the vision I had a reality!

Here's the result (There's about 5 seconds of emptiness I put so the timeline would disappear when I present it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS9ZSXcwPBE

If nothing else I hope it's an entertaining watch.

#2 | Back to Top11-25-2015 10:01:05 PM

CelianAdellanie
New Student

Re: Utena Trailer for class

Gorgeous! emot-dance

Currently on a quest to revive SKU fanfiction. For fluff, crackfic, or angst, follow this link to the Ends of the World: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6054705/CelianAdellanie

#3 | Back to Top11-26-2015 03:38:02 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Pretty awesome trailer. What kind of class is it for?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#4 | Back to Top11-26-2015 09:47:40 AM

malna
Caretaker

Very nice indeed. emot-smile

a lot of hope in one man tent

#5 | Back to Top11-26-2015 11:21:14 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I think this trailer is really well done (also that is one of my favorite duel songs)

#6 | Back to Top11-26-2015 08:50:43 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Thanks everyone!

BunB wrote:

Pretty awesome trailer. What kind of class is it for?

It's a class about generating concepts. For this class we needed to advertise a product to a different target audience. Rather than targeting shoujo fans I tried appealing to shonen. The official trailers I saw tended to play up the drama aspect more so I decided to play up the action.

#7 | Back to Top11-27-2015 03:16:26 AM

pe4ik
Wakaba Wrangler

Wow! Cool work! emot-dance emot-keke

#8 | Back to Top11-27-2015 03:56:56 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I really like it, nice work. Touga's speech is a perfect intro to the series XD

Wouldn't it be cool to make a trailer for SKU making it look like a horror series with clips from the Black Rose arc?

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#9 | Back to Top11-27-2015 07:42:15 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

YamPuff wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool to make a trailer for SKU making it look like a horror series with clips from the Black Rose arc?

Or make it look like a comedy with just chu-chu clips

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#10 | Back to Top11-27-2015 12:33:19 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

YamPuff wrote:

Between the shadow girls, the impossible architecture of the campus, and Nanami's huge list of terror takes, there's no need to limit yourself to Black Rose.

Dang, now I wish I had some decent video editing software.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#11 | Back to Top11-27-2015 12:47:25 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Flah wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Between the shadow girls, the impossible architecture of the campus, and Nanami's huge list of terror takes, there's no need to limit yourself to Black Rose.

Dang, now I wish I had some decent video editing software.

Yeah, and Anthy gives a particularly good scream in episode 3.
But the Black Rose arc definitely provides some potent material. Especially if you reverse the sword removal scenes.
Some one really slick could make RGU look like a murder mystery with Miki as the protagonist by using that one scene with the magnifying glass from Nanami's Egg.

#12 | Back to Top11-28-2015 05:35:49 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Jacrad wrote:

Some one really slick could make RGU look like a murder mystery with Miki as the protagonist by using that one scene with the magnifying glass from Nanami's Egg.

I think there was something along those lines. Not exactly a trailer, but...

#13 | Back to Top11-28-2015 11:19:20 PM

CarolineWellwater
Mikage Mistruster

(( Hey Jacrad,

I hate to echo what's been said already, yet I will anyway.  That's a pretty good teaser-trailer!  Good luck with the rest of your class. ))

#14 | Back to Top11-30-2015 03:12:49 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Cool! Great editing!

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#15 | Back to Top12-01-2015 09:21:38 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Thanks again everyone!

The presentation went over pretty well for the most part. But one thing did happen that I thought was worth discussing a little more in depth.
One student who has seen the show basically summarized their interpretation of Utena in a few sentences and there was primarily one thing I disagreed with. As I heard it, they basically said it was about the roles of women in a patriarchal society and changing the system from within.

I don't really think RGU is about changing a system from within at all. I think it's much more about not playing into the system at all. After all Utena says in the final episode "I really...couldn't become a Prince.  I'm sorry, Himemiya. Sorry for ending up just a make-believe Prince...  Forgive me." Utena may have subverted the system by trying to take on the role of a prince, but the role of a prince was still a part of the system.
I think the opening supports this analysis as well through these lines  "Heroically, I'll throw away my clothes 'til I'm nude, like the roses dancing all around me, whirling free." To me the idea of casting away the clothes is a metaphor for casting away facades and roles and existing free from them.

There was also some disagreement on the marketing of Utena. From what I could tell it seemed like the TV series was marketed towards women more so than men. I think the movie targeted men though. The goal of the assignment was to take a 'product' and market it to the 'opposite' crowd that it is normally marketed to. (This didn't mean the 'product' couldn't be something that can be enjoyed by the 'opposite' crowd, just that the marketing is geared more strongly towards the other.) But maybe I was off base? I definitely think what I made was good but maybe it wasn't on target for the assignment? What do you all think?
(Should I make another thread for this part? I think exploring the marketing could add an interesting analytical angle.)

#16 | Back to Top12-01-2015 10:48:56 PM

Rikoshi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Jacrad wrote:

There was also some disagreement on the marketing of Utena. From what I could tell it seemed like the TV series was marketed towards women more so than men. I think the movie targeted men though. The goal of the assignment was to take a 'product' and market it to the 'opposite' crowd that it is normally marketed to. (This didn't mean the 'product' couldn't be something that can be enjoyed by the 'opposite' crowd, just that the marketing is geared more strongly towards the other.) But maybe I was off base? I definitely think what I made was good but maybe it wasn't on target for the assignment? What do you all think?
(Should I make another thread for this part? I think exploring the marketing could add an interesting analytical angle.)

So, as a 36-year-old cis white guy, I will say that, for my part, I definitely consider myself outside of the target marketing demographic for Utena (it's also one of my favorite pieces of media of all time, which shows that you're always going to find outliers!).

I came across Utena for the first time sometime around 2000, back when I was in college, and the BIG marketing push for the series at the time was "From the Creator of Sailor Moon," I still distinctly remember. Using Sailor Moon as basically the hook for a show nobody had ever heard of is pretty strong evidence, from my perspective, that the marketing was mostly geared toward female viewers. Also, most of the prominent imagery centered around Utena and Touga in their awkward "flirting during the ball" sequence. Still, Utena holding the sword aloft was also a strong image, maybe to capitalize on the male demographic as well (localized anime was a much, much, much smaller pond back then, I assure you).

Board footer